Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Tighclops posted:

I don't know why that would make you come here and try to poo poo on *this* show, especially when you haven't seen it. Somebody who doesn't like STD isn't automatically going to love The Orville and I don't know why you'd think that unless you have some preconceived notions about what people like, dislike or expect from either show.

For what it's worth, most of the "making GBS threads" I've seen in that thread has been on anybody who wasn't impressed by STD for any reason. And if somebody doesn't like a Star Trek, what's that to you?

I'm not trying to poo poo on The Orville, though? I just don't think it's the best Star Trek-type show ever, and not better than Discovery.

To be honest, I was expecting it to suck because Seth McFarlane. But then, I haven't seen it have I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
At least Comrade Fakename is putting some effort into his shitposting, what with those walls of text that he found on reddit or whatever and then posting the opposite to the STD thread. You're just lazy.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
It's the proportionate level of :effort: I think this show deserves.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Spark That Bled posted:

I'm not trying to poo poo on The Orville, though?

Spark That Bled posted:

It's the proportionate level of :effort: I think this show deserves.

Couldn't last one post?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Kurieg posted:

Couldn't last one post?

Does that really count?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Spark That Bled posted:

I thought you couldn't because of all those app shenanigans?

First episode was on broadcast, after this Discovery is diving behind the paywall.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Discovery is humourless poorly written over-produced trash with no soul, Orville is someone's unfunny fan-fiction that at least has some heart and love for the source material. It's really a matter of taste which is worse but we have a new season of The Expanse to eventually look forward to so who cares.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Discovery is humourless poorly written over-produced trash with no soul, Orville is someone's unfunny fan-fiction that at least has some heart and love for the source material. It's really a matter of taste which is worse but we have a new season of The Expanse to eventually look forward to so who cares.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I am not saying "I totally saw this coming!!" but I did think it was weird when they said their society was all male, and not that they don't have genders. Like, how did a species with no gender come to have the concept of it and then identify as male?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What's the better description:
  • blue-collar Voyager
  • Star Trek: Work-Place Comedy

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

swickles posted:

I am not saying "I totally saw this coming!!" but I did think it was weird when they said their society was all male, and not that they don't have genders. Like, how did a species with no gender come to have the concept of it and then identify as male?

I kinda thought the same thing but I rationalized it as them putting their race in context of all the other species they meet, and before they started meeting aliens, they never conceptualized themselves that way. Like, if humans started exploring the stars and found that every other sapient race had some people with one head and some people with two heads, we'd probably become known as and start describing ourselves to outsiders as an all-one-headed species.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pakled posted:

I kinda thought the same thing but I rationalized it as them putting their race in context of all the other species they meet, and before they started meeting aliens, they never conceptualized themselves that way. Like, if humans started exploring the stars and found that every other sapient race had some people with one head and some people with two heads, we'd probably become known as and start describing ourselves to outsiders as an all-one-headed species.

"But how do you... you know.. without Two-headers?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so at least three threads in TVIV are now discussing STD :shepicide:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's very important to establish everywhere precisely which clique you belong to so that no one has any doubts about whether you like or hate things sufficiently

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

precision posted:

so at least three threads in TVIV are now discussing STD :shepicide:

If you aren't careful it is very easy for STD to spread across communities.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Alternately, Discovery is a visually impressive look at darker times in the Star Trek world that promises to show the utopian ideals of the series upheld in a situation where doing so is difficult for the characters, and The Orville is a fun lighthearted bit of TNG nostalgia with pretty good characters and just enough earnestness to pull off a serious look at social issues when it wants to.

They both have flaws, but I'm really enjoying the variety of space adventures on TV at the moment!

I would agree that The Expanse is the best of the lot though. It's everything I personally want in a TV space adventure.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, the reviews I've read online of Orville are pretty negative, but having watched the show I question whether those people have or not. Other than the fact that Norm McDonald, Seth Grimes, and McFarland are here, I'd be hard pressed to recognize this as a Seth McFarland show.
I'm actually impressed that you got all three names wrong

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I like the idea of The Expanse a lot more than the actual show. Talk about joyless, man gently caress colonizing space.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I am the Orville

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like if TNG did this episode, it would have ended with them finding out a large portion of their population was born female, but underwent reassignment surgery, and it was kept from them. That Moclan females where not a rare occurance, but actually fairly regularly but because the system told everyone it was rare, when one was born they'd go "Oh well, that happens every so often *snip snip* now he's a useful male, now let us never speak of this again.

Then they would have left with some offhanded comment about "well, they got some stuff to deal with" and that was that.

Show has gotten a lot better. If they deliever that quality on a regular basis i'll be pretty happy.

This is a neat idea and all, but it's not really realistic unless every doctor on the planet is sworn to secrecy or something. Most doctors here keep their data in an electronic medical records system of some kind or another. All that stuff goes into a database. If you ran a simple query against that database it would be easy to find a record of everyone who had that procedure done. Besides the point where the doctors would notice that they are doing it an awful lot for something that should be fairly rare.

Maybe it's more like Worf's situation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xka6IYCpj4E

It makes you wonder what would cause their society to develop this way. Not that it's a question I ever want this show to answer.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm actually impressed that you got all three names wrong

Perhaps it was intentional :v:

:negative:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Listen up, you poo poo dicks. My friend Donnie's brother watched this show because he couldn't find the remote after the football game and he said it's a bunch of gay libtarded poo poo, so that's the end of it, ok?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I watched the first two episodes of Discovery and all the Klingons are all nu-metal bald instead of their signature cool thrash metal hair. It's like the art style change going from Dragon Age: Origins to Dragon Age 2. Not terrible, just weird.

I'm not sure what I think about that show yet. I know I like The Orville though!:unsmith:

Caros posted:

If all you have to go on for The Orville is online reviews, you're going to get a vision of the show that isn't exactly based in reality.

But how will you know what is good if someone else doesn't tell you?:ohdear:

Spark That Bled posted:

Well, posting here hasn't convinced me to watch the show, so :shrug:

That's because you're talking to Goons. Goons do this hyperbolic opinionated bullshit both ways all the time. I'm surprised you haven't picked up on this by now.

TheScott2K posted:

Rainbowbeard why can't you just say "I agree with this obvious take" without turning it into a shitpost?

Unnecessary posts require unnecessary responses. I learned from a series of master Goons. I wasn't always like this.

lelandjs posted:

I'm confused, are people making GBS threads up the DIS thread talking about how much better the Orville is? If they are, tell them to gently caress off. Like people are telling you here.

Wait, your logic is

"Ugh, people in the thread for the show I like are talking about how they don't like the show I like, so I'm gonna go into the thread of a show tangentially related to the show that I like, even though I haven't even watched it, and bitch about it there?"

Like that's some lovely logic right there brah

Well, it worked in the sharktankXbox thread. So many parallels here. The mods over there in Games are cool with that kind of thing happening.

Regy Rusty posted:

It's very important to establish everywhere precisely which clique you belong to so that no one has any doubts about whether you like or hate things sufficiently

Agreed.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Arglebargle III posted:

There's a really obscure Trek callback in the background of the scene where Bortas and his husband are replicating clothes. A couple humans behind them replicate that loving egg shaped light ornament that shows up all over sets in DS9 and Voyager. I think it was the thing that attracted the nitrous aliens in the episode where Janeway blows up that other Federation ship and it was on the set for the rogue planet in the Omarion Nebula.

It's also reminiscent of "Data's Day":

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Well, I tried out Discovery.

lmao, if I had any doubt remaining about paying to stream it, which I didn't. I'm glad I didn't wait till it finished and waste 6 bucks to binge it. Even with a free trial, if I had to suffer through ads I'm not sure I would've made it.

I guess it could always get better, but yikes.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I watched the first two episodes of Discovery and all the Klingons are all nu-metal bald instead of their signature cool thrash metal hair. It's like the art style change going from Dragon Age: Origins to Dragon Age 2. Not terrible, just weird.

It's godawful and probably the thing I hated most about discovery (which on balance I think is ok, certainly better than jjtrek). But let's be realistic, the crimes that have been committed against Star Trek over the past decade pale in comparison to the atrocities committed against the dragon age franchise.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
>The Orville: I'll never watch it!

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Spark That Bled posted:

To be honest, I was expecting it to suck because Seth McFarlane. But then, I haven't seen it have I?

This is the problem - you're judging a show you haven't seen based on your bias against Seth McFarlane. Maybe get over yourself and give it a chance? This show is not "Family Guy but in space".

The Orville has managed something that STD hasn't - it retains the optimism, sincerity and lightheartedness of the older Star Trek series. It doesn't take itself super seriously, and its a lot of fun.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I appreciate and enjoy both DSC and Orville and my brain is not exploding because of it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thom12255 posted:

I appreciate and enjoy both DSC and Orville and my brain is not exploding because of it.

Clearly it means you have no brain at all! You are simply not allowed to like both things!

I will be watching both shows but I must say so far The Orville has demonstrated a better grokking of Trekness than STD has

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Gynovore posted:

So, somewhere in the computers is a comment that Mercer is actually worried about his colon.

Captain's Log...

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Regy Rusty posted:

The forum's motto.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Interview with Mark Jackson who plays Isaac

Looks like each main character gets their own episode, EP8 will be about Isaac

Daztek fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 27, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hope my prediction is correct that he's the dumbest of the robot people and that's why they sent him to the Union.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I hope my prediction is correct that he's the dumbest of the robot people and that's why they sent him to the Union.

They pranked him into joining the union, but he doesn't want to admit he was fooled, so he's pretending it's actually a smart thing to do.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I said this in the Trek thread, but it has bering here, as I was complaining that at a time where everything sucks, entertainment should not show a world that sucks, which it seems like STD is. The Orville though, it has that hopeful, poo poo doesn't suck all the time, that TNG had.

When they were in the not Replomat, i expected there to be a background joke, like the couple in the background were replicating a giant dildo or something, but then they had the Froggy guy making a frog pillow.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

twistedmentat posted:

I said this in the Trek thread, but it has bering here, as I was complaining that at a time where everything sucks, entertainment should not show a world that sucks, which it seems like STD is. The Orville though, it has that hopeful, poo poo doesn't suck all the time, that TNG had.

When they were in the not Replomat, i expected there to be a background joke, like the couple in the background were replicating a giant dildo or something, but then they had the Froggy guy making a frog pillow.

Suppose that could be his cultures equivalent of an anime body pillow.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Daztek posted:

Interview with Mark Jackson who plays Isaac

Looks like each main character gets their own episode, EP8 will be about Isaac

Was not expecting Isaac to secretly look like a young Robert Sean Leonard

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
I must be a lovely ally because ep 3 was not the fictional equivalent of shoveling dead trans people into a quantum incinerator that the reviews had described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

shoveling dead trans people into a quantum incinerator

Wow, Warhammer 40k has taken a turn...