Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure he's trolling because of the true-to-life thing, I don't think anyone's actually that unaware of how the thing actually works but maybe I'm being optimistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If I looked out my window and saw people walking down the road at the same speed as TV shows and movies without the added compensation of modern displays, I would say, "hey man, why are you moving like that?" to which they'd probably respond "hello, I have been sent here from the realm of 4:3 and VHS!". Of course then I would direct them to the nearest landfill to be buried expeditiously. I cant understand your resistance to watching television where things have motion closer to what you see in real life. Its not like its fast forwarded like a facebook recipe video.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You should definitely get a Vizio D series TV.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

If I looked out my window and saw people walking down the road at the same speed as TV shows and movies without the added compensation of modern displays, I would say, "hey man, why are you moving like that?" to which they'd probably respond "hello, I have been sent here from the realm of 4:3 and VHS!". Of course then I would direct them to the nearest landfill to be buried expeditiously. I cant understand your resistance to watching television where things have motion closer to what you see in real life. Its not like its fast forwarded like a facebook recipe video.

when you turn motion smoothing on

your TV is literally making poo poo up

It does make things look better occasionally, like static text or something moving in exactly one vector that never changes

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm aware of how the technology works. Alas, it works. I just put on an episode of Frasier here on my PC and just the tracing out of the skyline in the intro makes my eyes bleed without the interpolation.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
hey man do whatever you want

set your sharpness to 100 also, why wouldn't you want it to be the sharpest, you're paying good money for that TV

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
I'm going to intrude on motion discussion to say that I'm completely on the fence for a 65" TV.

Vizio M series looks good. Especially at $1100, but only 1 HDMI port supporting 4k seems like a deal breaker. The P series with HDMI fanciness is $1700.
However the 900E looks REALLY nice at $1800
LG B7A is :aaaaa: but costs anywhere between $2300 and $3000 depending on who you ask

And no clue if waiting until end of November will do anything but make me more impatient.

What I'm saying is, wish I could live with a 55" TCL P.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
I bought a floor model 55" B6 to use since Harvey ate my 65" KS8000 One Connect box and the wall to which the TV was attached is now in a county landfill.

OLED is the future. All the other manufacturers should just shut it down. I'm trying to justify replacing a perfectly good 65" LCD with a smaller screen where before I was thinking the 65" was too small. OLED is just that good.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

homeless posted:

I'm going to intrude on motion discussion to say that I'm completely on the fence for a 65" TV.

Vizio M series looks good. Especially at $1100, but only 1 HDMI port supporting 4k seems like a deal breaker. The P series with HDMI fanciness is $1700.
However the 900E looks REALLY nice at $1800
LG B7A is :aaaaa: but costs anywhere between $2300 and $3000 depending on who you ask

And no clue if waiting until end of November will do anything but make me more impatient.

What I'm saying is, wish I could live with a 55" TCL P.

I have a 50" M series and a 55" C6 and I'll say the C6 is worth every penny of the upgrade. The Vizio is good but the LG is legit amazing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

For those who got TV's from Cleveland Plasma, did Fedex leave the box or make you sign for it?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

They shipped mine via freight truck and carried itc upstairs for me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I only wonder because it's scheduled to be delivered Wednesday and I'm working Wed/Thur and home all day Friday.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, they ship freight.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
My 65 c7p oled shipped fedex from buydig/beach camera. purchased through cleveland plasma.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My friend bought that TCL and now the screen doesn't come on unless she unplugs the TV and plugs it back in. She did buy the Square Trade thing.

Who do you contact first in this situation? Amazon? TCL? Square Trade?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

FogHelmut posted:

My friend bought that TCL and now the screen doesn't come on unless she unplugs the TV and plugs it back in. She did buy the Square Trade thing.

Who do you contact first in this situation? Amazon? TCL? Square Trade?

Amazon if within 30 days, after 30 days -> 1 year you contact TCL, after that you contact squaretrade.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

My 65 c7p oled shipped fedex from buydig/beach camera. purchased through cleveland plasma.

Same with me. I have a Fedex tracking number.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

yeah my c6p purchased through Cleveland Plasma shipped via Beach Camera. Nice that they went via FedEx now and not freight

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's me, todays Dummy of the Day.

So I've had an hdmi splitter feeding the 2nd tv for a little while, haven't used it loads but a good few times. I've had to keep the primary tv on as I found when I turned it off, the cable box feed would die. The xfinity box always shows the time so it's hard to monitor what it's doing. I look through menus to disable all HDMI-CEC options etc, but it still does it. No huge deal, I just leave the main TV on.

I'm messing behind the big screen the other day and I see the light to the hdmi splitter isn't on, I worry that it's broken for a moment, then realize it's just because it's powered by the TVs usb socket and it was turned off at the time.

Suddenly everything made sense. I now have a phone charger powering it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

So I'm sitting on my thumbs not wanting to watch anymore Netflix or Amazon Prime until sweet sweet OLED is here. Does anyone know if the HBO or Showtime app on Roku is 4k? Wondering if I should wait to finish the last 4 episodes of Twin Peaks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They are not 4k. The only 4k thing in existence for HBO are the upcoming Westworld blurays. Showtime has nothing in 4k.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rude as gently caress. Okay thanks.

25 lighters
Mar 14, 2010
After researching here, and rtings.com, I've come to the conclusion to get a new 4K hdr 55 inch tv. This will be strictly for ps4 pro gaming, performance and picture quality are the most important.

My list so far basically comes down too what rtings claims to be the best use.

tcl 55 inch p605 for 600$
Sony 55 inch XBR55X900E for 1200$

They both are rated almost exactly the same for hdr/regular gaming. So my question is would it be worth it to spend extra and get the Sony? I don't understand what the big price gap is for and if it's a huge difference in quality. My budget is 1500$, but if there are no other tvs that perform as cheap as the tcl 600 or sony, I'll just go with them. Ok thanks, and sorry if this question has been asked again.

25 lighters fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 27, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You are going to get a more uniform panel with the Sony. The TCL TVs are fantastic values, but they are still very much a budget brand and can't be super picky about the variances of the panels they use. It isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but the Sony will typically be better in that regard.

25 lighters
Mar 14, 2010
Thanks. Concerning the Sony's 120 hz and the tcl's 60hz, should I be worried about input lag being worse for the Sony?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Not really, no. Gaming modes should cut the lag down by limiting processing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

25 lighters posted:

After researching here, and rtings.com, I've come to the conclusion to get a new 4K hdr 55 inch tv. This will be strictly for ps4 pro gaming, performance and picture quality are the most important.

My list so far basically comes down too what rtings claims to be the best use.

tcl 55 inch p605 for 600$
Sony 55 inch XBR55X900E for 1200$

They both are rated almost exactly the same for hdr/regular gaming. So my question is would it be worth it to spend extra and get the Sony? I don't understand what the big price gap is for and if it's a huge difference in quality. My budget is 1500$, but if there are no other tvs that perform as cheap as the tcl 600 or sony, I'll just go with them. Ok thanks, and sorry if this question has been asked again.

Are you in the military, a veteran, or do you know anyone who is whom you'd trust with your money? Because if so you really might want to talk to them about potentially going through the Exchange service for the 900E. Check your PMs.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 27, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Is Dolby Vision that important in a 4k blu ray player? Should I just get an Xbox One S? I don't want to spent $500+ on an Oppo.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't watched/listened yet but here's a long video from a dude who takes a microscope to it in a side by side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voePq29-U6M

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Dolby Vision should generally produce better results, especially on displays that are sub 1000nits in brightness.

That said, there isn't a ton of Dolby Vision disc media yet and the player selection is a bit anemic. Any Dolby Vision disc is also going to support HDR10, so you'll have HDR regardless.

Cabin in the Woods is the only DV disc I own currently and I have a poo poo ton of UHDs. I figure I'll update to a Dolby Vision capable player around the 3rd gen when prices are sub $100.

In the meantime, I get DV content from Vudu and Netflix.

Speaking of Vudu, Apple is actually having positive effects on UHD content. Many UHD rentals are only $5.99 now instead of $9.99 (some older ones are $3.99). Many new titles, including Spider-Man Homecoming, are the same price as the HDX version (in this case, $19.99).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Alright for my oled, xbox one s it is. Thank you.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Goons, whats the best TV I can get 65-70" for $1800 or less? Only used for TV/Movies, speakers don't matter as I have a 3.1 setup already. Have blackout curtains in viewing area if that matters. OP hasn't been updated in a long time.

The Vizio P65 seems to fit the bill, is that a bad choice?

The LG 65SJ8500 also looks decent.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 27, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The best TV for that size range and price cap is the 65" Sony 900E which current sale price brings it under the cap.

The Vizio M will get you 90% of the capability for $700 less at 65". You can get the 70" Vizio M for $200 above your cap. The Vizio P series gets you about 98% of the way there for about $100-$200 less than the Sony.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Okay so I have an older receiver that doesn't do 4K pass through. Can I plug all my HDMI equipment to my TV and have the audio come out of the receiver? Would I connect an optical cable from the TV to the receiver for this?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You can just use optical yes, but does the TV and receiver have ARC? Inputs should be labeled as such. Also, are all the inputs on your TV 4K @ 60hz?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Not sure if the receiver has ARC, but I'm pretty sure yes. The TV is an LG OLED B7P, so yes.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass
Setting up ARC can be a little obtuse, but it's really nice, as you can then control receiver volume through your TV's remote and GUI.
My setup is just Ethernet into TV, HDMI out via ARC for audio only.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Fooge posted:

Setting up ARC can be a little obtuse, but it's really nice, as you can then control receiver volume through your TV's remote and GUI.
My setup is just Ethernet into TV, HDMI out via ARC for audio only.

I recently had to switch to the non-arc input on my x810c because my loving TV would constantly grab the audio from the receiver. Also the Android TV built into this TV is garbage and my Roku kicks the poo poo out of it (which is really saying something).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sounds like it's just easier to connect via an $8 optical cable then. I'll grab one from Walmart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
This probably seems weird to ask, but I'm curious: are there any TV's with good onboard sound? It seems like there would be at least one with something like that for the same sort of people who like all in one computers. (Which some of those smart TVs seem to be dangerously close to being...).