Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

thechosenone posted:

This probably seems weird to ask, but I'm curious: are there any TV's with good onboard sound? It seems like there would be at least one with something like that for the same sort of people who like all in one computers. (Which some of those smart TVs seem to be dangerously close to being...).

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Good sound requires a pair of decent sized woofers and appropriate cabinet space. TVs are getting smaller and smaller, so there's just no ability to do that. Soundbars and the like (of which some TVs come with now) are a halfway house solution to get better sound, but physics is physics.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sony's OLED uses the display itslf as a planar radiator but it obviously can't do bass. Soundbars are getting OK, they'll have lower quality sound than an equivalent receiver/speakers combo for the same price but they're not all awful. If you can put up with 2 boxes powered bookshelf speakers are a good choice, there's a bunch with bluetooth, subwoofer outs and the like.

e: Kanto YU4/YU6, Aperion Allaire, Audioengine HD3/HD6, maybe Kef X300/LS50W or Dynaudio Xeo if you're a baller.

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 28, 2017

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

GreenNight posted:

Okay so I have an older receiver that doesn't do 4K pass through. Can I plug all my HDMI equipment to my TV and have the audio come out of the receiver? Would I connect an optical cable from the TV to the receiver for this?

I use an optical cable from my Vizio P to my receiver. The receiver is old enough that it doesn't even support ARC. Has been working well for me.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

GreenNight posted:

Sounds like it's just easier to connect via an $8 optical cable then. I'll grab one from Walmart.

The only caution I have with that is you won't be able to get Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA, but if your receiver isn't 4K you also might not have support for those formats anyhow

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dogen posted:

The only caution I have with that is you won't be able to get Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA, but if your receiver isn't 4K you also might not have support for those formats anyhow

That's valid. This is only for another year or two until I buy a new receiver. You make a good point though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Spend the money on a proper audio system. Profit. If you care about sound enough to ask the question, just do it.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
My dad's old flat screen actually had okay sound, but it wasn't nearly as thin as they are now. I wonder if there would be any advantage to a thicker tv now, like if they could use different components.

I've heard stuff Bout flexible computer screens, but wouldn't the real benefit of that be a tv screen that won't crack if it falls over somehow?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I'm seeing what I can get that will last for sub $400. I have a 5.1 setup and have no plan for additional speakers. I might be able to swing that depending on my xmas bonus.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I picked up a Pioneer home theater in a box deal 3 years ago, came with a proper receiver with 4K passthrough and all 5 speakers+sub. Paid $279 CAD and for anyone looking to upgrade from built in speakers its great. You can upgrade speakers as you go along.

Oh my loving jesus I am trying to look into the X900E but Costco doesn't carry it in Canada, not right now anyway and its loving $2800 at BB + the ridiculous cost of their warranty.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 28, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Would this be the best thread for Android tv boxes? My parents asked for my advice but I just use an old laptop with Kodi so have no clue myself.

Is an Amlogic S905X based box like this X96 going to work reasonably well mainly for watching youtube, html5 or videos from usb/network drives up to 1080p? I've seen some complaints about speed on other models with this processor but it seems to be about the best you can get until the Shield-level :homebrew:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Kodi thread would be the place but spend a little more and get something like this. I've used the X96 and it ain't bad but you'd profit from upgrading to something like in the link with better hardware.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Through my employer I'm able to get a Samsung 65" MU8000 for the equivalent of about $1080 USD + tax and shipping right now to my house in Canada. Shipping's about $50 so I guess the TV is essentially $1130 USD. I'm currently using a 1080p mid-range Samsung 60" plasma from about 5 years ago and have been eyeing an upgrade for a while, the pricing on this MU8000 is enticing me to maybe look towards it but only if there's the content to support it. I currently subscribe to 4k Netflix [shared account with 3 family members] and my wife has an Amazon Prime subscription so we presumably have access to their HDR as well, if HDR on Amazon is supported in Canada yet. The vast majority of content I consume is through Plex [I have a server setup for this purpose] and Netflix.
I have a Shield TV already to go and my understanding is that the MU8000 does a decent job of upscaling 720p/1080p content as well, hopefully better than my current plasma at least. Having a Shield TV already [as well as having a GTX 1080 in my current computer] to pair with has me looking at the possibilities of 4k gaming through GameStream as well which would be an added bonus.

Thoughts on this upgrade for the price? I haven't really considered it before because I don't have much interest in an HDR Bluray player or $50 Bluray discs for HDR playback but with the increase in HDR content on here, it piqued some interest that I need to either pull the trigger on or convince myself I don't need it. I also know OLEDs are better but the LG 65" OLED TV is about $4000 Canadian right now and I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a TV yet. I also know the Samsung lineup of TVs this year is generally not that great for the price but this particular price for this particular TV seems like a better deal than anything from other manufacturers but I'm open to alternatives

tl;dr: I can buy a 65" Samsung MU8000 for $1080ish USD, currently have a plasma, want to know if I should buy it if most of my content comes from Plex/Netflix and I have a GTX1080 + Nvidia Shield, might use it for gaming but definitely for media. Buy or no buy?

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
I'm thinking of getting and OLED 55' LG TV from Costco this weekend. Is OLED the way to go now?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you can afford it, yeah for most use cases

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Pooperscooper posted:

I'm thinking of getting and OLED 55' LG TV from Costco this weekend. Is OLED the way to go now?

I just got the 65" and no regrets. Just waiting for my new receiver to show up so I can do proper 4K passthrough.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Is there a recommended setting that I'm missing to keep the ticker smooth (not choppy/blurry) on the ESPN app on the Apple TV 4k?

Currently in 4k SDR mode on my LG C6P

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hate tickers for precisely that reason, they're always juddering across the screen regardless of settings.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hate tickers for precisely that reason, they're always juddering across the screen regardless of settings.

gently caress scrolling text. I am a video editor, and I one time had a client that said they wanted scrolling text credits that needed to be exactly 45 second but didn't want it to look juddery. Guh, gently caress you, that's not how it works. They would just keep saying "well in the movies it looks so smooth, why cant ours look smooth?" Yeah, because they have literally as much time as they want to scroll those credits at the proper speed..

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
So for people hopping on these OLED deals with Beachcamera, are they showing up as manufacturer refurbished or new? Because I just saw the prices on Amazon being the same on the C and B models as people are stating here, but they are manufactured refurbs even though they are stating they are new units.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074QQZ9V...1506970117&sr=1

Also, how about OLED burn in? Not image retention but actual burn in? I know Rtings is conducting burn tests currently, and from the avs forums, lots of people seem like they are having issues with the most concerning part being LG not doing anything to help and basically telling them all to F-off.

I am right on the edge of getting the 65" B7 for what will be $2206 tax and shipping included in that price...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Utnayan posted:

So for people hopping on these OLED deals with Beachcamera, are they showing up as manufacturer refurbished or new? Because I just saw the prices on Amazon being the same on the C and B models as people are stating here, but they are manufactured refurbs even though they are stating they are new units.

Also, how about OLED burn in? Not image retention but actual burn in? I know Rtings is conducting burn tests currently, and from the avs forums, lots of people seem like they are having issues with the most concerning part being LG not doing anything to help and basically telling them all to F-off.

I am right on the edge of getting the 65" B7 for what will be $2206 tax and shipping included in that price...

The ones people are calling in to beach camera and buying are brand new

Yes, oleds can burn in. They dim over time so if one area ages at a different rate than another burn in will occur.

That being said they seem very tough but if you are watching the same channel 24/7 or the same game 24/7 i wouldn't be surprised if you get some.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Utnayan posted:

I game all the time on mine and its fine so far. Just change up your usage a bit and you'll be fine. Most of the complaints I've seen were with last years models and specific instances like huge stretches of CNN or Overwatch. I have the 65" B7 and its loving great, that's also a really good price.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I mounted my 65" B7 this weekend and was loving scared because of how thin the TV is and how it bends.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Don Lapre posted:

The ones people are calling in to beach camera and buying are brand new

Yes, oleds can burn in. They dim over time so if one area ages at a different rate than another burn in will occur.

That being said they seem very tough but if you are watching the same channel 24/7 or the same game 24/7 i wouldn't be surprised if you get some.

Most I do is play PS4 and Steam Link - but content in games vary. I do play a lot of Rocket League but never more than about 3 hours at a time. As for content, all Shows and Movies. I never watch any of the news stations and such with static images. My only main problem will be when someone leaves the TV on and falls asleep to it on and they may be watching netflix, and after the show, it stays on the same image. Do they come with an automatic sleep feature or something to counteract?

Glad to know those are new. That's a hell of a deal and I am just about ready to ring them up. I also have a chase card, so I can get another 500 back so effectively I will get a new 2017 B7 OLED LG TV 65" for 1700. I cannot believe that works because one of the scam sites is running an ad for 1700.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

I game all the time on mine and its fine so far. Just change up your usage a bit and you'll be fine. Most of the complaints I've seen were with last years models and specific instances like huge stretches of CNN or Overwatch. I have the 65" B7 and its loving great, that's also a really good price.

Ok thanks :)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Utnayan posted:

Most I do is play PS4 and Steam Link - but content in games vary. I do play a lot of Rocket League but never more than about 3 hours at a time. As for content, all Shows and Movies. I never watch any of the news stations and such with static images. My only main problem will be when someone leaves the TV on and falls asleep to it on and they may be watching netflix, and after the show, it stays on the same image. Do they come with an automatic sleep feature or something to counteract?

Glad to know those are new. That's a hell of a deal and I am just about ready to ring them up. I also have a chase card, so I can get another 500 back so effectively I will get a new 2017 B7 OLED LG TV 65" for 1700. I cannot believe that works because one of the scam sites is running an ad for 1700.

The built in apps (which you will be using to get dolby vision) go to a screensaver pretty aggressively. So no worries about netflix or amazon. You can also set it to auto turn off after x hours which you should.

I dont think you will have a problem at all.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

HBO/Starz/Showtime need to get on the loving ball with Dolby Vision apps.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

The built in apps (which you will be using to get dolby vision) go to a screensaver pretty aggressively. So no worries about netflix or amazon. You can also set it to auto turn off after x hours which you should.

I dont think you will have a problem at all.

Thanks a ton for the help.

One last question: I run everything through this receiver:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ILCS182/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It passes through 4k and also upscales - will it also pass through HDR?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Utnayan posted:

Thanks a ton for the help.

One last question: I run everything through this receiver:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ILCS182/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It passes through 4k and also upscales - will it also pass through HDR?

Unlikely. That receiver is 3-4 years old now. Most receivers wont pass HDR unless they came out in the 2016 timeframe and thats not even a guarantee.

So if you want sweet sweet HDR gaming you will need to get a new receiver or hook the console direct to the tv.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I had to buy a new receiver.

This is what I got.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs930h/denon-avr-s930h-7.2-ch-x-90-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

DENON AVR-S930H 7.2-Ch x 90 Watts Networking A/V Receiver

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Ok was afraid of that...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You can run all your HDR stuff right to the TV and use HDMI audio return channel so you can still get surround sound, if your receiver supports that. Mine was at an age where it did not.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Supposedly as part of HDMI 2.1 both ARC and CEC are going to get the attention and features they've needed from the get go. I got a new receiver myself, I really liked my old one but no ARC. There's a good market opportunity for someone to combine a switchbox and one of these. You could probably try running from a switchbox into that splitter today but every step in the signal chain is an opportunity for HDCP to freak out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

qirex posted:

Supposedly as part of HDMI 2.1 both ARC and CEC are going to get the attention and features they've needed from the get go. I got a new receiver myself, I really liked my old one but no ARC. There's a good market opportunity for someone to combine a switchbox and one of these. You could probably try running from a switchbox into that splitter today but every step in the signal chain is an opportunity for HDCP to freak out.

E-ARC will be out. The new denon receivers suport it. the x4xx series.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

GreenNight posted:

You can run all your HDR stuff right to the TV and use HDMI audio return channel so you can still get surround sound, if your receiver supports that. Mine was at an age where it did not.

Ok awesome mine supports this function. Does it effect audio quality?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Utnayan posted:

Ok awesome mine supports this function. Does it effect audio quality?

You wont get uncompressed audio but most people would never notice.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
Thanks a ton for all the help to all. Much appreciated.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Samsung 65" MU8000 for the equivalent of about $1080 USD - worth it?

Asking again just because I got missed earlier and can't really afford an OLED right now. I'm using a 60" mid-tier Samsung Plasma currently and would like to get onboard the HDR/4k wagon finally.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Godinster posted:

Samsung 65" MU8000 for the equivalent of about $1080 USD - worth it?

Asking again just because I got missed earlier and can't really afford an OLED right now. I'm using a 60" mid-tier Samsung Plasma currently and would like to get onboard the HDR/4k wagon finally.

Cant you get a vizio at that price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Cant you get a vizio at that price?

Nope unfortunately not. I have an EPP for Samsung stuff through work but not any other brands. I'm not opposed to buying a different brand of television if it makes more financial sense though.