Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't understand why I was never into either TMNT or Power Rangers when I was little. They're both things I feel like I should have liked.

In retrospect I, and I suspect a lot of other kids in that age group, were in it for the toys/video games/etc and the show was basically secondary.

I sure as gently caress can't tell you anything about any episode of TMNT but let me tell you about the PIZZA SHOOTER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

In retrospect I, and I suspect a lot of other kids in that age group, were in it for the toys/video games/etc and the show was basically secondary.

I sure as gently caress can't tell you anything about any episode of TMNT but let me tell you about the PIZZA SHOOTER.

I watched the entire run of the 87 TMNT cartoon not so long ago and it has maybe 10 good episodes out of like 200.

For a show that only existed to sell toys, it's amazing how poorly the writers managed to integrate any of the vehicles or other toy-mandated gimmicks.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

ImpAtom posted:

This was basically me. I loved the poo poo out of the toys and games, and watched the show because, meh, why not?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't understand why I was never into either TMNT or Power Rangers when I was little. They're both things I feel like I should have liked.

I'm the opposite. I liked both of those things but couldn't tell you why. But likes and desires as a kid are pretty inscrutable I find so I don't really care.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Power Rangers I only liked because I was (and still am) a huge fan of Japanese giant monster movies. The sad thing is that I probably would have liked the actual sentai series way more as a kid, but had no possible way of ever seeing it. Instead I just got bored of PR pretty quickly and went back to collecting Godzilla movies.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had a dream last night where I saw numbers and I've been upset all day that BTAS lied to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

When I watched the first couple episodes of the Nickelodeon Ninja Turtles a few years ago I felt it was dumb and could never stand up to what the 2003 series had done. Several years later I realize I was completely wrong as the series ended up being just about the best version of Ninja Turtles on screen. It's a really well done show and has some of the absolutely best Ninja Turtles stories, regardless of medium, ever in it.

Lurdiak posted:

I watched the entire run of the 87 TMNT cartoon not so long ago and it has maybe 10 good episodes out of like 200.

For a show that only existed to sell toys, it's amazing how poorly the writers managed to integrate any of the vehicles or other toy-mandated gimmicks.

The only good episodes of the 87 show are the first five or six and some of the last season. That's it. It's all trash in the middle.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

A lot of the "classic "kid shows, especially from the eighties don't really hold up. GI Joe, transformers turtles, aren't that great.

However, I will say to the day I die that Beast Wars loving owned, especially the last two seasons. Even with the outdated CGI :colbert:.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

When I watched the first couple episodes of the Nickelodeon Ninja Turtles a few years ago I felt it was dumb and could never stand up to what the 2003 series had done. Several years later I realize I was completely wrong as the series ended up being just about the best version of Ninja Turtles on screen. It's a really well done show and has some of the absolutely best Ninja Turtles stories, regardless of medium, ever in it.

I just wish they had a more interesting Shredder. He's one of the weak links of the show, for me.

X-O posted:

The only good episodes of the 87 show are the first five or six and some of the last season. That's it. It's all trash in the middle.

Nuh-uh, they manage to have some fun ones in there. The show was a lot better at being funny than dramatic or exciting, and the episodes that lean on that work better than most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kme-RO2G3I

Not incidentally, my main criticism of the 2003 cartoon is that it was never, ever funny, even when it was trying to be, and so it's my least favorite turtle show of all (excluding Turtles Forever, which was a masterpiece).

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 28, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Did the newer tmnt have the Jack Kirby homage episode like a lot of tmnt media does?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Pokémon has a weird status for me, because in my school, some people liked the games and most people liked the anime, but everyone was completely obsessed with the trading cards, even though I don't think a single person actually knew how to play the game. It was all about collecting them and swapping them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Calaveron posted:

Did the newer tmnt have the Jack Kirby homage episode like a lot of tmnt media does?

In a different way. There's a character homage in one story who is a reporter. He's voiced by Robert Forster.

Everyone should track down the episodes from this season with Usagi Yojimbo. Probably some of the best Ninja Turtles episodes ever made.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Monaghan posted:

A lot of the "classic "kid shows, especially from the eighties don't really hold up. GI Joe, transformers turtles, aren't that great.

However, I will say to the day I die that Beast Wars loving owned, especially the last two seasons. Even with the outdated CGI :colbert:.

My man :yeah:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite superhero cartoon when I was little was Gargoyles and I was big into the Jonny Quest remake with all the dodgy CGI.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The new TMNT show being bad has nothing to do with comparisons to other shows; it's the way that almost every female character ends up being a love interest, them turning Donatello into a creeper who ends up ultimately getting rewarded for his behavior, the way every ongoing storyline ends up being drawn out only to be concluded with a big, wet fart, and faking out Splinter's death so many times, by the point it actually happens it's completely devoid of all meaning.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pokémon has a weird status for me, because in my school, some people liked the games and most people liked the anime, but everyone was completely obsessed with the trading cards, even though I don't think a single person actually knew how to play the game. It was all about collecting them and swapping them.

My brothers and I saved up for weeks to buy a starter pack and when we finally bought one we got bored and gave up before we even finished reading the instructions.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Monaghan posted:

Beast Wars is this special category of show like Sailor Moon that I exclusively watched at six thirty or seven in the morning on WPIX every weekday and just exist as some weird half-dream.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

Beast Wars is this special category of show like Sailor Moon that I exclusively watched at six thirty or seven in the morning on WPIX every weekday and just exist as some weird half-dream.

Then I have to advise you that yes, all the Sailor Scouts did die in the first season finale, and Dinobot was totally contemplating ritual suicide in that one episode.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gaz-L posted:

Then I have to advise you that yes, all the Sailor Scouts did die in the first season finale, and Dinobot was totally contemplating ritual suicide in that one episode.

I'm curious now, how does the second season begin? New characters? They just ignore the finale? It was all a dream?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think it was time travel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sailor Moon basically has the Cosmic Cube, so she uses it to banish the villain and essentially rewrites reality so her friends are alive again, and they (and she) don't remember ever being superheroes. She immediately gets her memory restored at the start of the second season and then spends several episodes trying to avoid restoring her friends so they don't have deal with being under constant threat of death and let them have normal lives.

Also somehow this splits her boyfriend into two dudes, one of whom dresses like a racist Arabian prince stereotype.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sailor Moon is so cool.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Sailor Moon basically has the Cosmic Cube, so she uses it to banish the villain and essentially rewrites reality so her friends are alive again, and they (and she) don't remember ever being superheroes. She immediately gets her memory restored at the start of the second season and then spends several episodes trying to avoid restoring her friends so they don't have deal with being under constant threat of death and let them have normal lives.

Also somehow this splits her boyfriend into two dudes, one of whom dresses like a racist Arabian prince stereotype.
I guess it didn't matter what time of day I watched it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

WPIX is home to so many weird nostalgic memories like this. Their early morning programming and weekend programming was the poo poo. WWOR (eventually UPN) is sorta like that too. They had poo poo like King Arthur and the Knights of Justice and The Adventures of T-Rex, IIRC. I want to say they also aired Swat Cats and 2 Stupid Dogs at a time when I didn't have cable (were those CN shows originally? I always found it odd that they just sorta of popped up on Sunday mornings out of no where, buried on UPN.) Also Exo Squad and Battle Tech, but I forget which of the two networks had those.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
When I was a kids beast wars was extremely my poo poo, please no one disillusion me from this

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

site posted:

When I was a kids beast wars was extremely my poo poo, please no one disillusion me from this
At least one of the voice actors (David Kaye, Megatron) is doing a Q&A at TFCon this weekend in DC, if anyone is in the area (Technically it's in Reston). I'll be there!

Also fun fact in Canada they called it "Beasties" for at least one season because wars are bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They also called War Planets "Shadow Raiders".

It was actually a running joke between me and a friend that all US versions of the shows we watched had War in the title. Aladdin = Arabian War. Duck Tales? Duck WARS.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Beast Wars owns and I'll physically fight anyone who says otherwise. I mean, I'll lose the fight probably, but it's the thought that counts.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Sailor Moon is so cool.

I know Sailor Moon (which I think is kind of a superhero show - she has special powers and a secret identity) was localised in the early nineties but the first time I saw it was in the late nineties when it was on Fox Kids in the UK and all its adverts made it out to be the next Dragon Ball Z.

Worth revisiting?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know Sailor Moon (which I think is kind of a superhero show - she has special powers and a secret identity) was localised in the early nineties but the first time I saw it was in the late nineties when it was on Fox Kids in the UK and all its adverts made it out to be the next Dragon Ball Z.

Worth revisiting?

Sailor Moon is sorta by-the-numbers, since it's more or less the inspiration for most magical girl shows and such, but it definitely has some much darker moments than you'd expect.

Also, it's beloved for a reason.

(Mars and Jupiter are best scouts, fight me)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The water cooler cartoon when I was a kid was X-Men. Nobody really talked about anything else as much.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Gaz-L posted:

Moonlight Knight :swoon:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sailor Moon was the artist trying to merge the early magical girl shows, where everything was flower petals and sparkles and destined love interests, with the power ranger style Super Sentai shows, where there's a predictable plot with monsters every episode and an ensemble cast of color coded soldiers fighting them. Like Dragon Ball it got incredibly popular and helped define manga and anime aimed at an entire demographic to this day. Also like dragon ball the anime has a lot of filler episodes but unlike dragon ball the filler in Sailor Moon was used to define and develop the characters and their relationships.

It's not an action show by any means even though there are a lot of fist pump moments that are very cool. If you go in expecting dragon ball you will be disappointed. It's a very funny show with a lot of great character development, even though the cast does bloat up pretty bad by the end and a lot of great characters get squeezed out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, absolutely, I know what it is. It's just that one of my two abiding memories of it was how it was sold very hard by Fox Kids as "just Dragon Ball Z but with girls" because DBZ was super-popular on Cartoon Network and they wanted a slice of the pie. Nickelodeon did the same with Cardcaptor Sakura.

My other abiding memory of Sailor Moon is that for a long time I thought it was a cartoon version of Sabrina the Teenage Witch, because a) the name "Serena" sounds kind of like "Serena" if you're not paying enough attention; b) they were both blonde girls who had magic powers; and c) their sidekicks were talking black cats. :v:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kurui Reiten posted:

(Jupiter and Mercury are best scouts, fight me)

ftfy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

the name "Serena" sounds kind of like "Serena" if you're not paying enough attention

I agree.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

I agree.

Haha, I sure hosed that one up. :downs:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

You misspelled Uranus, tho?

My favourite moment in the series is actually the third season finale, where Sailor Moon ends up fighting the two more 'edgy' members of the team. They're refusing to listen to her because they're the tough gals that know how poo poo REALLY works and murder is definitely the only way, and this wuss probably isn't even a real moon princess anyway, so gently caress off. And then she kicks both their butts, including dodging every single blow from the one that is A) the hand-to-hand expert and B) the one with wind as her element, so being super-fast is her 'thing'.

That season is absolutely worth revisiting. The drama stuff is great, and the goofy poo poo is BANANAS. The lead director that year was the dude that ended up making Revolutionary Girl Utena and a bunch of other sapphic-themed animes, plus there's a bunch of the classic Japanese fantasy mish-mashing of Western cultural concepts and mythology.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Lurdiak posted:

They also called War Planets "Shadow Raiders".

It was actually a running joke between me and a friend that all US versions of the shows we watched had War in the title. Aladdin = Arabian War. Duck Tales? Duck WARS.

Man, Shadow Raiders was the darkest loving kids cartoon on the 90's. It starts with a planetary genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, Shadow Raiders was the darkest loving kids cartoon on the 90's. It starts with a planetary genocide.

starts and ends.