Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dracula Factory posted:

For real though I'm going to be upset if Cap'n Ginyu isn't in at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/HellPockets/status/912419751481061377

Because the cropping on the embedded tweet sucks:

Is this real life

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

oh hey didn't realise this had a thread here. i played a ton of this at pax and during the beta, and this is probably the fighting game i've been most excited for since gg xrd.

big green is the best btw

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Chaotic Flame posted:

17 deserves to be his own character and not just an assist.
why though

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Super's done a lot of cool stuff with him

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hope 17 wins the tournament and gets a suitable boat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Super looks like it has an absolutely absurd story-line, even for Dragonball standards.

That's fine though. What really bothers me whenever I watch clips is how garbage the art and animation are. There are plenty of high-quality anime these days, is Dragonball really not a big enough name to have some effort put into it?

It reminds me of Teen Titans - Teen Titans GO! in the variance in presentation, only Teen Titans was a fairly popular kids show and Dragonball Z is arguably the most well known anime of all time.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 28, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Super looks like it has an absolutely absurd story-line, even for Dragonball standards.

That's fine though. What really bothers me whenever I watch clips is how garbage the art and animation are. There are plenty of high-quality anime these days, is Dragonball really not a big enough name to have some effort put into it?

It reminds me of Teen Titans - Teen Titans GO! in the variance in presentation, only Teen Titans was a fairly popular kids show and Dragonball Z is arguably the most well known anime of all time.

Dragonball Super is a weekly show which currently has over a hundred episodes. It is not a show that is going to get a high budget. (The same applies to DBZ and DB for that matter.)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Dragonball Super is a weekly show which currently has over a hundred episodes. It is not a show that is going to get a high budget. (The same applies to DBZ and DB for that matter.)

Then why was the art and animation so much better in DBZ then? I won't claim to think that original DBZ had amazing art and the animation could be rough at times too, but it seems like half the time the DB:S artists don't even know how to draw a normal looking face.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Toei also does Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, Pretty Cure, One Piece, a lot more stuff than Dragon Ball. Something's gotta be the short stick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Then why was the art and animation so much better in DBZ then? I won't claim to think that original DBZ had amazing art and the animation could be rough at times too, but it seems like half the time the DB:S artists don't even know how to draw a normal looking face.

You're badly misremembering the original Dragonball Z then.

Like pretty much every anime the original Dragonball Z had moments of high-quality animation and art and moments of really lovely animation and art. What you might be focusing on is the difference in color-pallet (pre digital coloring) and the difference in art style (Super has a lot thinner character designs in general.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PantsBandit posted:

animation and its surrounding industry was very different back in DBZ's day, it's pretty impossible to compare them for that reason alone. anime studios are expected to churn out a lot more content now and aren't really hiring the staffs necessary to do that while keeping any sort of content. (e: this of course has exceptions, there are studios that treat their animators well and produce reliable quality work)

also a lot of shows are aimed at kids who don't really care as long as it reaches a minimum level of quality, and the shows that are aimed at older audiences can fix shoddy animation in blu-ray releases. not because of the media format mind you, but because there's less crunch and because it means people will buy them and they'll effectively double-dip

One Piece is basically the biggest single property ever at this point in japan and even it has a really lovely show with like 5 minutes of new animation per episode (which is still often bad) and a bunch of recycled poo poo plus super long intros/outros to take up time. it doesn't matter how popular something is, if they can cut corners they will.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 28, 2017

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Android/Cell arc of DBZ has worse art/animation than anything that came before it. It was so bad.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You're badly misremembering the original Dragonball Z then.

Like pretty much every anime the original Dragonball Z had moments of high-quality animation and art and moments of really lovely animation and art. What you might be focusing on is the difference in color-pallet (pre digital coloring) and the difference in art style (Super has a lot thinner character designs in general.)

Dragonball Z has some crap art at times, but the examples you posted were mostly the exception. It was rare enough that it mostly wasn't noticeable, and more than made up for once you got deep into the arcs. The fight scenes in particular were very kinetic and well-done. I doubt anyone would say that the Saiyan Saga or Frieza saga didn't have mostly good art across the board.

Dragonball Super is just weird looking to me. It was super noticeable to me when a clip of Android 17 got posted a few pages back. He hardly even looks like the same character

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

There's plenty of offmodel stuff in super, especially early on when they started doing additions to the movie adaptations and such. That 17 is pretty ok to me though. Maybe if you're expecting his pants to be hoisted up higher I can see your confusion.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
tbh i like the style of dbz more than super itself, more than anything

they both have tons of jank

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Dragonball Z has some crap art at times, but the examples you posted were mostly the exception.

They really weren't. Characters didn't look the same from episode to episode let alone overall. Super has a ton of bad art, don't get me wrong, but the major difference is in art style and color pallet and that a lot of the real poo poo budget moments were frontloaded.

PantsBandit posted:

I doubt anyone would say that the Saiyan Saga or Frieza saga didn't have mostly good art across the board.

Then you'd be wrong. There was a ton of really lovely art in the Frieza and Saiyan sagas, especially during the lower-budget/'filler' arcs. Like at time sit looks goddamned awful, recycled animation, and did a lot of terrible off-model stuff. It's fine because it also had some moments of great animation but if you actually pay attention to it (especially pre-Kai cleanup and editing) it had some truly awful awful looking stuff.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
That's because he isn't the same character. He's no longer a villain so he's not going to be portrayed as well. Super is actually very good looking in a lot of scenes, and has a pretty distinct style in those moments.

That being said, the bad moments are far more noticable because it's in HD.

Edit: Where did the quote go? Talking about 17.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Of all the shots to use, I don't really see what's weird about 17 in that one. If we're talking off model, Beerus has looked weird for a while.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Goku, in the episode he becomes a Super Sayian:

Goku, in the next episode:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

There's plenty of offmodel stuff in super, especially early on when they started doing additions to the movie adaptations and such. That 17 is pretty ok to me though. Maybe if you're expecting his pants to be hoisted up higher I can see your confusion.

I think a lot of it is that they really hosed with him visually. Costuming is a huge aspect of character recognition, especially in animated stuff. 17 was recognizable because of the bandanna, the contrasting colors, the fact that he dressed and looked like a teenager but had this scary air about him.

The new costume has muted colors, this kind of off-green blah shirt, no more bandanna. He looks super generic.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

I think a lot of it is that they really hosed with him visually. Costuming is a huge aspect of character recognition, especially in animated stuff. 17 was recognizable because of the bandanna, the contrasting colors, the fact that he dressed and looked like a teenager but had this scary air about him.

The new costume has muted colors, this kind of off-green blah shirt, no more bandanna. He looks super generic.
toriyama changed his outfit even in actual dbz so

that said his end of buu saga outfit did still have the bandanna so i guess if you're hung up on that that's a thing

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Terper posted:

Goku, in the episode he becomes a Super Sayian:

Goku, in the next episode:

The second image still looks leagues more interesting to me than DB:S. I think maybe like anime was right said, the quality of the art isn't as big an issue as the style.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Dragonball Super is just weird looking to me. It was super noticeable to me when a clip of Android 17 got posted a few pages back. He hardly even looks like the same character

I dunno man he still tucks his shirt into his mom jeans, that's classic 17.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

17 is a different person in Super though. He's a park ranger who is married and has adopted two kids. He should look different to compensate for that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

17 is a different person in Super though. He's a park ranger who is married and has adopted two kids. He should look different to compensate for that.

I'm not really opposed to them changing the look of characters but design should inform character. Dragonball characters are supposed to be bad-rear end superheroes. If the character they wanted for 17 in Super is "sort of boring park ranger who can still fight" then I guess they nailed it, but if that's the case I'd rather they just introduce someone else who's actually interesting.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I ask anyone who is going to complain about Super's art, especially in comparison to DBZ to take off their rosed colored lenses and actually watch some un-remastered DBZ first. Our memories are funny things and we mostly remember the good moments, especially if your last exposure to DBZ was through Youtube videos of eventful scenes where they would use the better animation studios.

That said, traditional coloring is better than digital coloring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I'm not really opposed to them changing the look of characters but design should inform character. Dragonball characters are supposed to be bad-rear end superheroes. If the character they wanted for 17 in Super is "sort of boring park ranger who can still fight" then I guess they nailed it, but if that's the case I'd rather they just introduce someone else who's actually interesting.

That's the thing though. Dragon Ball characters by and large are not badass superheroes and Super in particular deals with the fact that half the cast are married with children and Goku literally has an adult child and is a grandfather. It's a part of the story that a lot of these people are living normal lives and Goku goes full punchman even if it's not a good idea.

This also isn't new to Dragonball where even Z focused a ton of Gohan, the dorky kid whose idea of a cool superhero is Great Saiyaman.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Anyone who tells dad jokes is not allowed to dress like a teenager.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ImpAtom posted:

This also isn't new to Dragonball where even Z focused a ton of Gohan, the dorky kid whose idea of a cool superhero is Great Saiyaman.

That's the correct idea of a cool superhero though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

That's the correct idea of a cool superhero though.

Well okay I can't argue with that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Super animation has improved a ton. The first 25 episodes of the series are loving [b]rough[b/]

The quality still varies but it still has one of the best animated moments in db history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnYN2pu-NOI

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Goku vs Krillin still manages to be my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAibmdtd3-g

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dbz has the most off model facial drawings second to second in the show, its glorious watching vegitas ears grow and shrink in real time

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

PantsBandit posted:

Dragonball Z has some crap art at times, but the examples you posted were mostly the exception. It was rare enough that it mostly wasn't noticeable, and more than made up for once you got deep into the arcs. The fight scenes in particular were very kinetic and well-done. I doubt anyone would say that the Saiyan Saga or Frieza saga didn't have mostly good art across the board.

It's the digital coloring that makes it so different. poo poo in anime these days just glows like a candle.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

PantsBandit posted:

17 and 18 were/are clearly meant to be visually misleading. Divorced from the context of Dragonball pretty much all of their designs and costumes look kind of normal and non-threatening. I mean look at this dumb kid:

The sneakers mom bought, the luminous green socks, the loving shirt underneath another shirt. His design screams less 'Bad-rear end superhero' and more 'hangs around the mall texting and never buying anything'. And of course decades later he's gotten a real job, family and responsibilities and dresses the part.

Toriyama loves this kind of thing, through Dragonball the most powerful characters often don't look that powerful at all (ie final form Frieza compared to his other forms, Fat Buu and Kid Buu, most of the androids, Goku when he was a kid, Whis. Recently its been taken to an extreme with Kale). I betcha 17's current look was deigned from him.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
It's the coloring and the character designs have changed. Like Krillin's head looks way different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Blue Goku & Vegeta footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv1vh0HcA80

There's a new dragon ball mechanic that hasn't yet been explained and isn't demonstrated in the video, but it seems you earn them by doing combos with hits in multiples of ten? (10-hit gets ball #1, 20-hit gets ball #2, etc)