Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I feel sorry for the Indian guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Part of me likes the way this episode made me laugh my rear end off like a motherfucker, but another part of me feels they're stretching it to make it both sides (again).

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
not a huge fan of episode 3

felt like there were some germs of good ideas in there but they didn't really know where to go with them

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"I don't care if people get indigenous, I'll crap all over their statues. I'm the one who is indigenous that this statue even exists."

Sadly like episode 1, this didn't really go anywhere.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It's like they read half a headline and assumed an entire issue that doesn't/never existed.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
First time in 21 seasons I've stopped watching an episode halfway through because I was bored.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Catching up:

-"In fourteen hundred ninety-two, Columbus got us a day off skeww"
-

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Oh boy, a Randy episode.
-I was hoping Randy's party was going to be a parody making GBS threads on gender reveal parties.
-Kenny with the altered voice. :golfclap:
-(Native American song) "and then he kissssssssed meeeeee...."

That was a Randy Marsh Adventure which fell flat.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I like how Randy's love of Columbus kept getting bigger with more and more items/photos.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This 1 week episode poo poo has got to stop. It's much too hit and miss and it's mostly misses now. Another bad episode.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TBH, I'm Okay with episodes that don't really go anywhere and are just full of good jokes, much like this one was.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm really surprised by the reaction, I thought it was a solid episode. The only criticism I have is that the kids' plot wasn't very interesting, and wasn't nearly as funny as Randy's shenanigans.

Randy mixing up "indigenous" with "indignant" had me laughing my rear end off. The townspeople yelling insults at him at the end was a great cap to the episode too.

Poor native man...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, I don't get it either. If you get to the point where you don't like Randy episodes, maybe you somehow lost your South park spirit?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Don't post that

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I had some good laughs throughout the episode, but it was definitely missing something from a writing perspective. Almost nothing paid off. For example, the above picture. It was funny because you figured he was gonna get in so much trouble over it, but in the end nothing really came of it. And the DNA thing ending with him being part Neanderthal............ Meh?

Initially I thought they were going to make a point about digging through people's past to discredit them, and perhaps on the flip side, being honest about your past after you "get woke" and trying to help other people along instead of just yelling at them. But they didn't, which is fine because not every episode has to have a message. But just from a comedy writing standpoint, this one had problems.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The part Neanderthal thing is a regular fixture of 23andme style services. The joke is that Randy is so typically white, he had to latch onto the silly neanderthal percentage at the end just to feel indigenous about something.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Bee posted:

The part Neanderthal thing is a regular fixture of 23andme style services. The joke is that Randy is so typically white, he had to latch onto the silly neanderthal percentage at the end just to feel indigenous about something.

No I got that, I just felt like they didn't get much comedic mileage out of it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There were a few funny bits, but this was a largely forgettable episode. Bottom 25% tier. I don't think they have had a top 25% since S19 and maybe S18. In other words, what they are doing is not really working any more.

Topical poo poo every week gets tiring. It really feels like they are going through the motions and putting a minimal amount of effort in. Their ideas and takes don't feel fresh. They don't have a groove going any more.

Switching to 10 eps in the fall was a bad idea. I'm pretty sure the spring/fall 7 eps then 6 eps to 10 in the fall is what did it.

Having South Park on TV is great. What we are getting is not, though. South Park has been bad for over a year now.

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
Agree with the reactions here mostly. This season has had a couple of funny bits, but the episodes overall are pretty weak. They are trying incredibly hard to be topical and it falls flat frequently

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Nah these episodes have been funny. Randy's need to be extreme (calling Ohio and making GBS threads on New York) were quite good. Plus this episode is extremely relevant in today's climate with the need to be a victim. Just look at Conservatives who feel threatened.

Second episode has been the best so far, but this season they are definitely so far taking more subtle positions on these topics. No more Kyle speeches to sum everything up.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Waltzing Along posted:

Switching to 10 eps in the fall was a bad idea. I'm pretty sure the spring/fall 7 eps then 6 eps to 10 in the fall is what did it.

If anything's the problem, it's the mere fact that this is season 21.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Episode was front loaded with the jokes and most landed but on the whole the episode went nowhere and kinda just ended?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
10 years ago, Randy would have shook off the DNA people and gotten himself hosed in the rear end.

That's the difference.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
I was absently watching this and enjoyed the NYC shirt

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
That was pretty great for me. I have a native American friend so I'm looking forward to them seeing it. Also loved the subtlety and nuance line.

I think no matter what there's always going to be "not enough jokes" or "too much jokes" or "too much political commentary" or "not enough political commentary"

I guess you could say I'm a middle of the road kind of guy so the episodes usually always hit me in the right spot.

vermin fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 28, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

10 years ago, Randy would have shook off the DNA people and gotten himself hosed in the rear end.

I read this and was like "Nah", then I looked up season 10 and was like "Oh yup actually"

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I liked the episode.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
That episode was the most I laughed in a long time. I started laughing when the Native American man started singing his love song, and nearly threw up laughing so hard when Randy was kicking him, telling him to get off his land while wearing the Columbus attire. Granted the episode didn't finish strong, that high point was good enough for me; and even before that we had some great Randy moments.

Randy exasperatedly yelling "Shellyyyyy" will never not get a laugh out of me.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Its a gently caress of a lot better than last season

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

PaybackJack posted:

Randy exasperatedly yelling "Shellyyyyy" will never not get a laugh out of me.

"Dad, I don't give a poo poo about Christopher Columbus!"

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Croc posted:

Episode was front loaded with the jokes and most landed but on the whole the episode went nowhere and kinda just ended?

Yup, exactly.

However, it was the hardest I've laughed all season, I lost my poo poo at the love song.

PaybackJack posted:

I started laughing when the Native American man started singing his love song, and nearly threw up laughing so hard when Randy was kicking him, telling him to get off his land while wearing the Columbus attire.

Worth it just for that scene.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Also, I did 23AndMe, and I'm happy with the results. It only cost $100, so I feel like I got my moneys worth.

Like that office guy, it turns out I'm 2.1% South Saharan African, thanks to my Sicilian ancestry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3yon2GyoiM&t=382s
I'm also 6.8% Ashkenazi (Eastern European Jew). We always knew that there was some Jew in the family woodpile, we just didn't know how much.

The Bee posted:

Actually, the more Neanderthal DNA you have, the whiter you are. The neanderthals branched out into Northern Europe during the ice age, so the only people with zero Neanderthal DNA are people who are 100% African.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Exactly! He picked the most hilariously white method of feeling special: a caveman number directly tied to his whiteness.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I found this episode really funny. It might be because I'm actually Peruvian and the way Randy acted is how I see a chunk of progressive people and the way the kids acted (do you guys even know what Columbus did?) how I see a chunk of non-white people act in Usa.

Also, lmao at the Colombia mention.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

turboraton posted:

I found this episode really funny. It might be because I'm actually Peruvian and the way Randy acted is how I see a chunk of progressive people and the way the kids acted (do you guys even know what Columbus did?) how I see a chunk of non-white people act in Usa.

Also, lmao at the Colombia mention.

This is exactly the reaction I figured the episode would engineer no one is protesting Columbus statues or anything of the sort conservatives like to pretend people are because it ignores the real issues.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

socialsecurity posted:

This is exactly the reaction I figured the episode would engineer no one is protesting Columbus statues or anything of the sort conservatives like to pretend people are because it ignores the real issues.

What's the difference between a Columbus statue and a Lee statue?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

ChesterJT posted:

Most confederate monuments especially those that glorify the south were put up in the 60s to intimidate black people who were pushing for Civil Rights many of them were put specifically in black neighorhoods, Columbus statues were not. An equal comparison to the Lee statues would be if we started putting Hitler statues up in Jewish neighborhoods.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
^^Yeah he's got it.

ChesterJT posted:

Most Confederate statues were erected well after the Civil War in an effort to intimidate African American communities and celebrate segregation laws.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Well I think the statues are racist...but then again they are a part of our history...
Well I guess the statues are part of history...but I can see how they are racist.
I think they are history. I think they are racist.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

vermin posted:

Well I think the statues are racist...but then again they are a part of our history...
Well I guess the statues are part of history...but I can see how they are racist.
I think they are history. I think they are racist.

But people just said they're not "part of history". Because they're not. They're no more history than those cheap replica statues you can get at a lawn and garden store. There was a video of one of those statues getting knocked over and it crumpled under its own weight like tissue. Most of those statues were put up by "The Daughters of the Confederacy" or offshoots of the KKK or other White Pride groups, all in the 20th century, and they're really really cheaply made and mass-produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

There were a few funny bits, but this was a largely forgettable episode. Bottom 25% tier. I don't think they have had a top 25% since S19 and maybe S18. In other words, what they are doing is not really working any more.

Topical poo poo every week gets tiring. It really feels like they are going through the motions and putting a minimal amount of effort in. Their ideas and takes don't feel fresh. They don't have a groove going any more.

Having South Park on TV is great. What we are getting is not, though. South Park has been bad for over a year now.

Agreed with all of this, except for the 10 episode thing. That started in season 17 which was okay-ish, but I thought seasons 18 and 19 were mostly great. 18 had the introduction of some serialization and season 19 had a good balance of serialization and new topics each episode, though it fell apart at the end. It seems like they felt they were on a roll with those seasons, and went all in on trying to re-invent the show for season 20. Since since that failed badly (still their own fault for not taking a longer production schedule to make it work) I can see how going back to the old formula and method would leave them feeling off or uninspired to do more than go through the motions.

• Locked thread