Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Kibayasu posted:

Deathstroke in a tank was probably the worst decision that was made in regards to the Batmobile.

Especially when he bugged out and got stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

exquisite tea posted:

Everything about the marketing strategy for Lawbreakers made zero sense to me. It chased after some pretend demographic of hardcore gam3r with 'tude while also boldly proclaiming it was 2 fast 2 furious for all you other lil nubbins to compete. A wonder why it didn't sell well.

Pretty much. Evolve was another lol bomb that everyone saw coming a million miles away.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

The best part is them selling DLC as new game, with less features than the base game.

oh and the original game is still $60 somehow

wasn't Total War: Warhammer included in a humble monthly? $60 as a continuing price point makes no sense at all, from any angle

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

QuarkJets posted:

oh and the original game is still $60 somehow

wasn't Total War: Warhammer included in a humble monthly? $60 as a continuing price point makes no sense at all, from any angle

It does if they get enough people praising both, since you can (eventually, when it's released) do a grand campaign with factions and territories from both games. People spend more money on shittier deals all the time in gaming.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Too Shy Guy posted:

I like how the only F.E.A.R. that's worth playing isn't discounted at all. You can pay $10 for the good one, or $13 and change for the good one and its weird, muddled offspring, what a deal!

Does the original F.E.A.R. hold up? That game was fantastic at the time, I full-bore loved it and wouldn't mind playing it again.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

KakerMix posted:

Does the original F.E.A.R. hold up? That game was fantastic at the time, I full-bore loved it and wouldn't mind playing it again.

Yes, absolutely, 100%. I played through the early levels again a few weeks ago and it was super fun. The weapons and slo-mo still feel amazing and even now the enemies are noticeably more clever than your average dead man walking.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

KakerMix posted:

Yup, I actually just got done replaying it. Still one of the best FPS games.

I actually like FEAR 2 if you haven't yet. I know a lot of goons hate it, and it's no FEAR 1, but it has it's moments.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

FEAR 2 isn't a bad FPS, it just loses a lot of what FEAR does well. It's a lot more based around long-range encounters and cover shooting and setpieces like sniper sequences and mech rampages. The horror elements are really inept, despite the game picking up right from the end of the last and having a lot more supernatural elements. And the story is pretty dumb, too.

Nothing about FEAR 2 prepared me for how monumentally stupid FEAR 3 was, though. It was almost funny until the shootouts started to drag and the enemies got aggravating. Also I don't think you could end a trilogy on a worse note.

If we can be honest for a second here, I have reviews of all three FEAR games ready to go but I͞ ̵c͜a̷ǹ't͏ ̕p̛o͢s̶t t́he̢m bec̕a͜us̸e i͚̜̟͎̦̼t̪͖̣̀'̯̳͕̟̩͕̹s͈͇̫̼̥ ̺͇͖ǹ͖͔o̪t̺ ̯̯̠̮̤́Ọ̪̲͖͙c͏t҉̮̝͕̼̬o͚̲̼̬͉͙ͅb̭͟e̤̻̳͘r͈̱ ̸̩̖̬̹y̧̘̣͇͉ȩ̠͙̰͉t̘̳̦̳͕̘͈͘

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

just a heads up i started the first (non-tutorial) level in ruiner yesterday and kicked open a crate and got some karma from it and some bodies before i stopped playing, when i picked it up again today the checkpoint it started me at was before the crate and while the karma had respawned on the bodies the crate was still already opened, and not even restarting the level reset it. i can't tell if maybe the game saved the karma from the crate or not but if i lost it i'm pretty pissed.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Can I even dare to dream Steam could get RDR2? Should I even want it knowing that its going to be likely so tied to rockstar social club that if they ever stop caring about the game, most of its features, if not the whole game is completely dead and unplayable?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also apparently the combat ranks go up to at least S+ :c00l:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/GridSageGames/status/913185730519646208

Yooo best robot roguelike finally hitting steam! You take new parts from slagged robots and rebuild yourself as you go, it's wicked cool! :D

finally

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/GridSageGames/status/913185730519646208

Yooo best robot roguelike finally hitting steam! You take new parts from slagged robots and rebuild yourself as you go, it's wicked cool! :D

Hell yes been waiting for this for months.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Crabtree posted:

Can I even dare to dream Steam could get RDR2? Should I even want it knowing that its going to be likely so tied to rockstar social club that if they ever stop caring about the game, most of its features, if not the whole game is completely dead and unplayable?

Microtransactions, baby. RD:R is probably my favorite Rockstar game. I hope they made something just as good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pookum posted:

I like black flag but its the only Assasins creed game i have played. I just want to float around and upgrade my ship until im bored and on the steam sale it looked like a good deal.

you should play AC rogue then

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

corn in the bible posted:

you should play AC rogue then

It's got some better mechanics for sure but the oceans being largely closed off don't feel nearly as fun to sail around in.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
Gauntlet Slayer Edition is currently on sale for $5 on steam. I got it as a gift a few years ago and it turned out to be one of my favorite games to play for 20 minutes here and there. There are lots of enemies and the combat is really satisfying. It has local and online co-op play and controls well with keyboard and mouse or a controller. The big downside is that the online mode is fairly dead these days. Sometimes you can find games to join, sometimes you can't. The campaign isn't all that long either, and can be played through in less than 2 hours. It's hard to recommend for $20 but it's a solid game for $5.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jamfrost posted:

Microtransactions, baby. RD:R is probably my favorite Rockstar game. I hope they made something just as good.

The guy responsible for making RD:R good isn't working on this one and Rockstar's record has been really dire lately, so I'm not holding my breath.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Crabtree posted:

Every other Rockstar game except for Red Dead Redemption 1 is on Steam. It's almost guaranteed. Also there is no scenario where Rockstar Social Club will suddenly just stop working and all the games tied to it are hosed, its a bit weird that you would think that.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The main game is just going to be the platform they build their online off of. I fully expect them to do the bare minimum for RDR2, because they've discovered where the money is, and it isn't singleplayer.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wouldn't count them out yet. If RDR2 has even half the amount of attention to detail and love that went into crafting the map of GTA5, it will be extremely excellent. I'm convinced that their art team in particular is made up primarily of autistic Rain-man level geniuses. GTA5 is probably the only game I've ever bought at $60 full price and felt like it was totally 100% worth every penny. It's a masterpiece.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I wouldn't count them out yet. If RDR2 has even half the amount of attention to detail and love that went into crafting the map of GTA5, it will be extremely excellent. I'm convinced that their art team in particular is made up primarily of autistic Rain-man level geniuses. GTA5 is probably the only game I've ever bought at $60 full price and felt like it was totally 100% worth every penny. It's a masterpiece.

I don't think anyone has ever looked at GTA5's map and thought it was terrible. Almost everything else about GTA5, sure.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Everything about the marketing strategy for Lawbreakers made zero sense to me. It chased after some pretend demographic of hardcore gam3r with 'tude while also boldly proclaiming it was 2 fast 2 furious for all you other lil nubbins to compete. A wonder why it didn't sell well.

Wasn't it more or less a Overwatch rip-off? I only caught a glimpse of it on Twitch but it sure looked like it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

No. It just bungled its marketing.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Yeah, 6+ months after the consoles get it. Gotta get that double-dip on.
I'm super wary after the lovely GTA5 story and how they handled the MP.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tried to play some old games in my backlog.

State of Decay. Holy gently caress the camera is swingy as hell and I was nauseous and had to lie down after only a few minutes of playing.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Digirat posted:

No. It just bungled its marketing.

Speaking of bungled marketing, the free weekend doesn't even get top billing on Steam. It's not listed under "Special Offers" nor does it have the top splash of the front page.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So Cuphead initial reviews seem pretty positive... Maybe it didn't turn out to be a disaster? Didn't expect it to be $30 though...

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Why did you expect it to be a disaster?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

General Emergency posted:

Why did you expect it to be a disaster?

It was delayed significantly to increase the scope from a boss rush. There were concerns that they were expanding the game outside of its strengths.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Any opinions on Pyre? By the guys who made Bastion and Transistor. Saw the trailers and it looks great (as expected) but I'm not sure what I'm looking at exactly...party based sports game RPG?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Artelier posted:

Any opinions on Pyre? By the guys who made Bastion and Transistor. Saw the trailers and it looks great (as expected) but I'm not sure what I'm looking at exactly...party based sports game RPG?

Party based sports game visual novel and it is hella fun and well written!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was watching the Gamespot Cuphead review and was thinking it would've been cool if they had added in some 3D backgrounds like the old Popeye cartoons, and then right after they show just that. A circular "stereoptical" desert backdrop, which definitely seems to pay a little tribute to the classic Popeye Meets Ali-Baba and The 40 Thieves.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Party based sports game visual novel and it is hella fun and well written!

When you say hella fun you mean the battles (sports), right? I like stories but if it's mostly story I kinda peter out and have to LP it.

Also one of the screenshots looks like it has lots of characters.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Any games like Soda Dungeon or Clicker heros that aren't free. The reason I would rather pay for one is they seem to be less about the real life cash shop.

I also already own Tiny Rails. I'm open for any clicker/ idler suggestions.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Artelier posted:

When you say hella fun you mean the battles (sports), right? I like stories but if it's mostly story I kinda peter out and have to LP it.

Yes! It's 3v3 basketball with some neat twists, and all of the different characters tie into the story and they have different abilities/speeds in the battles.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Artelier posted:

The gameplay is effectively 3-a-side fantasy basketball. Between matches you manage your squad who level up and gain abilities unique to each character. You also buy trinkets that allow you to tweak them further (one trinket per character).

There's a bunch of story too between matches, but it's not much in the way of reading.

Game's good, buy it play it

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Artelier posted:

The gameplay loop is about 10-15 minutes of reading followed by a 5 minute match. I think you can also do custom matches directly from the main menu?

I really liked it, it's well written and the fantasy basketball is fun once it clicks.

Edit: The matches are not timed to 5 minutes, that's just how long they took me for the most part.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 29, 2017

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Who hasn't made a Battle Royal yet? If you guess River City Ransom you'd be right.

River City Melee Battle Royal

It looks more like a online brawler not really the type of battle royal you're thinking off. But why did they add soccer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Turd Herder posted:

Who hasn't made a Battle Royal yet? If you guess River City Ransom you'd be right.

River City Melee Battle Royal

It looks more like a online brawler not really the type of battle royal you're thinking off. But why did they add soccer?

because Kunio has the best soccer games ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPKoHVO5g3o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOi5uet1QMs