Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

President Ark posted:

vampire coast seems likely, they had an army list or two in some supplemental material published by GW and their actual canon leader (Luther Harkon) is mysteriously absent

theres a bunch of events that mention him and one of the freelc is called the great experiment so id say he has a drat good chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Morathi trip report

Malaketh moved too fast and took my east vortex resource
moved south into lizard territory and took their capital and vortex resource
had a scuffle with the empire colony as they moved to my west
took a black ark to helf town and took their north vortex resource, which is dumb, since the south is way better, closer, and easier to build
for some reason skaven and norse really like me
helfs are everywhere attacking everything

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Is Morathi actually good? I kind of want to get in on this crazy crossbow machine gun thing elfs have going.

I've found her to be really good so far. She's got a selection of good spells, Soul Drain and Pit of Shades are the standouts, though the one that lowers enemy armour and weapon damage in an area is a great way to boost your killiness while your melee infantry is still composed of the non-AP Corsairs and Witch Elves. Add to that a flying mount, great unique skills, and the fact that she's actually really quite good in melee, particularly if you skill into it. Not to the point where she can go toe to toe with Tyrion or Kroq'Gar, perhaps, but you can absolutely send her into a unit of mid-tier infantry and expect her to gently caress their poo poo up. I've had her take down Great Eagles and even a Phoenix like it's no big deal. She's a bit squishy with low armour, but with certain skills and the right items you can up her resistances to a pretty high level and debuff enemies to hell.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
A little oddity: playing the High Elf campaign, one of the settlements was attacked by "Abominations", a rogue army consisting mostly of beastmen, but also some crypt ghouls? And they had a battering ram with Bretonnian designs on it.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

A little oddity: playing the High Elf campaign, one of the settlements was attacked by "Abominations", a rogue army consisting mostly of beastmen, but also some crypt ghouls? And they had a battering ram with Bretonnian designs on it.

Rogue armies can have units from any combination of factions in them, I know there's a chaos/lizardmen one out there, I think.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

are Black Guard for delves an event unit? I can't figure out how to recruit them.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

capital only building
dread manse tier 4
provides cold one chariot, cold one knights, and black guards

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Is there a consensus on who is the easiest starting lord? I haven't played TW for a bit and Im rusty. Leaning toward the giant psychic toad

aeverous
Nov 13, 2009
Mazdamundi doing some MLG moves:

https://gfycat.com/AgitatedEducatedAfricanrockpython

This is a good game.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Raygereio posted:

Get a cheap HDD with more then enough space on it if you don't already have one, create a second Steam library on it and you should be setup just fine for future patching.

Is there an option you need to tick somewhere, because I've had Steam libraries on my SSD C Drive and my HDD D Drive for years and it's never done that. I always uninstalled TWH1 and downloaded it again when a patch was needed because it was the easiest option.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I want to talk about elf bullshit units, in a good way

the amount of upgrades these two jack of all trade units get is just insane
I really like that the second half of the blue line is for rank 7+ units but it really starts to make these two things shine

shades are lesser bullshit since they don't seem as good for a higher cost

I am wondering how the chariots hold up since I never get around to building them

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
The ritual system sucks. Start a ritual and have a stack assault any random one of your minor settlements without a chance to get someone there to defend it? gently caress off.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

Is there an option you need to tick somewhere, because I've had Steam libraries on my SSD C Drive and my HDD D Drive for years and it's never done that. I always uninstalled TWH1 and downloaded it again when a patch was needed because it was the easiest option.
Valve patched that functionality in a month ago.

August 29, 2017 - Steam Client Update Released posted:

Steam will now use library folders on other drives to download game updates if the primary drive doesn’t have enough space left

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

anybody know if there is a way to turn off viewing the AI turns? If they made it so you can't anymore thats a hilarious decision since the very first advice on every TW game is "turn off AI turns"

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

anybody know if there is a way to turn off viewing the AI turns? If they made it so you can't anymore thats a hilarious decision since the very first advice on every TW game is "turn off AI turns"

in the top left, look for a camera button, then fiddle with the tabs

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Skaven campaign as Skrolk, went much better than Queek initially but when it was time to branch out and get the ritual resource site one of the lizardmen factions had grown massive and already taken it. I go to war with them and ambush them to the point where I can finally make some real inroads towards my goal when Teclis shows up out of nowhere and starts burning my poo poo down :( I can not catch a break in this game it seems!

Has anyone managed to keep pace with ritual resource as Skaven on VH? I sure as gently caress can't. I'm probably playing the campaign map wrong while getting the battle strategy right because I'm winning some impossible fights but lagging horribly behind otherwise.

Another note, the plauge priest ritual thing that Skaven can do? It's absolute garbage, -50% income and -30 growth for 6 turns and I've never seen it spread.

The DOOOM! Engineer though? Holy poo poo, does the enemy faction have a t5 capital that's making GBS threads out high level units? Not for long!

Martout fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 29, 2017

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

in the top left, look for a camera button, then fiddle with the tabs

phew thanks, i didn't think they'd have forced you to watch the AI but you can never tell with CA

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I really like that the second half of the blue line is for rank 7+ units but it really starts to make these two things shine

I am wondering how the chariots hold up since I never get around to building them

They main advantage of Shades is that they get armour-piercing missiles with huge damage. They're more of a straight upgrade to Darkshards as your primary shooters rather than a true multipurpose unit like the Corsairs or Seaboys. The two-hander version seems pretty redundant, though the dual-wielders are decent for sneaking around the sides to massacre the enemy ranged units before shooting the frontline in the back.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

aeverous posted:

This is a good game.

[STREAM] 360 degree noscope nocroak hellpit abomination shot [REAL] [CRAZY] [SKILL] (0:16) 301 views

e: made it better

President Ark fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 29, 2017

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Any tips on how to manage food as Queek? I'm having a hard time feeding the rats.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

how do black arks work?

Afriscipio posted:

Any tips on how to manage food as Queek? I'm having a hard time feeding the rats.

raiding with skavenslaves seems to be the way, also look out for cities with grain or whatever that green flower resource is

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Perestroika posted:

They main advantage of Shades is that they get armour-piercing missiles with huge damage. They're more of a straight upgrade to Darkshards as your primary shooters rather than a true multipurpose unit like the Corsairs or Seaboys. The two-hander version seems pretty redundant, though the dual-wielders are decent for sneaking around the sides to massacre the enemy ranged units before shooting the frontline in the back.

I didn't even look at it before but lol the dual weapon and great sword shades have range attacks as well

but having 30 armor and no shield doesn't seem so good compared to 80 armor

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't really like the entire ritual aspect of the campaign but otherwise it's fun. Also my 10k gold intervention army got wiped the turn it was created so I'm not sure what the point of wasting money on that was.

nopantsjack posted:

how do black arks work?

It's a horde/city on the ocean, basically. You can build recruitment buildings on it for basic units (dreadspears, darkshards, corsairs, etc) and those can either remain on the ship as a garrison or be recruited directly into armies on land that are within the ark's sphere of influence. There are also buildings in the ark that give armies within that sphere of influence bonuses like more income from raiding and sacking.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

how do black arks work?

Each ark is basically a classic horde army, except they can only move on water. So they can only attack other armies that are currently on water, and coastal cities. Their buildings allow them to recruit a pretty solid spread of Dark Elf units, lacking only cavalry and some of the more elite choices like Shades or Executioners. Their big unique thing is that they have a fairly big support radius: Any friendly army in that radius can recruit units directly from the Ark's buildings, and if there are any fights within that radius the Dark Elf player gets three types of bombardment abilities during the fight with three uses each as the Ark giving fire support.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

nopantsjack posted:

how do black arks work?

They are a horde unit that can recruit units and build buildings. Not all Delf units are available but some are, and corsairs come early

The main ark building line and one of the side lines gives ark growth as well as every tier of delf research.

Normal horde mechanics apply, each time you build a new building, the next building costs more population, but unlike other hordes, the upgrades to those buildings do not require population

The ark provides 4 powers to nearby troops to be used as call in spells in battle, 3 of which can be upgrade via buildings and the 4th is only available with a maxed out ark.

There are 5 abilities on the garrison in town since the delf walls also add a call in.

Each ark has a sphere of influence and anything in that may recruit from the ark, benefit from its battle call ins, and get bonus replenishment. The sphere of influence is really large. This is the closest thing delfs get to global recruitment.

To recruit an ark, you have to have a T3 slave building and enough slaves to cast the ritual. These things are kinda rare for you to have so garrisoning it with troops would be good otherwise someone will go snipe it. You can only auto resolve with ark / sea battles. As far as I know, those troops can not help on shore, but I haven't tried.

You can just recruit a lord and have it take the arks garrison, then send him on his merry way. It also has access to hero units.

The troops are just the infantry, artillery, and monster units. So no chariots, heavy high tier infantry, or cav.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

aeverous posted:

This is a good game.

I feel like CA takes the Warhammer universe exactly the right amount of seriously.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

The Handbow Corsairs can still fight in regular melee right? I was looking and they have 4 less melee attack and defence but are the same cost as the dual sword ones. Is the stat difference the only melee difference between the two, or is there some effect given by the dual swords vs sword/handbow that isn't shown in the stats?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Thanks for all the black ark advice, good to know

Also anybody got any idea when the blood DLC unlocks? since arrows/projectiles dont appear to stick in people ala rome 2 warhammers combat looks a bit anaemic without it IMO

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

gonadic io posted:

The Handbow Corsairs can still fight in regular melee right? I was looking and they have 4 less melee attack and defence but are the same cost as the dual sword ones. Is the stat difference the only melee difference between the two, or is there some effect given by the dual swords vs sword/handbow that isn't shown in the stats?

The dual swords have an anti-infantry bonus that the crossbow Corsairs don't have.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

also yeah people were right, a full missile elf army with corsairs at the front is insane

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

gonadic io posted:

Yep, I've seen the handbow corsairs take on silverhelms and win which is really weird. Normal corsairs are just better in melee but neither of the corsairs have good melee defense.

As far as Delf armor goes, the lesser cold one knights have only 90 armor so 80 is not that bad for a range / melee hybrid.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is confusing with the delf lineup since they have spear guys, sword guys, crossboy guys, heavy sword guys, then two separate lines, shades and corsairs, which are melee and range and do them both well enough.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

At least versus the AI, a two line setup with seaboys and archers is just the epitome of Elf Bullshit.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
They sure nailed the number aspect for the Skaven. Playing as Skrolk I generally get 10ish total clan rat summons per match, expandable to like 15 if I want to spend extra food, and another 2 plague monk summons. With some judicious use of debuffs that main stack has been hitting way above it's weight.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Queek's start is harder than I thought. Just getting bogged down by Kroq Gar and Lizardmen in general are a tough nut to crack.

Though I am really amused at how quickly and frequently skaven units rally. They're practically cycle charging with how often they run away and come back.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
skaven are fun but my god playing a round as them is draining, there are so many different things happening in so many different directions to keep track of.

i cannot imagine what total loving bullshit playing against skink skirmishers would be

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Ze Pollack posted:

skaven are fun but my god playing a round as them is draining, there are so many different things happening in so many different directions to keep track of.

i cannot imagine what total loving bullshit playing against skink skirmishers would be

They're not so bad , use poison/nets and menace below as a way to pin them down.

Fans fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 29, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Oh my loving god, i have 10 turns left on the final ritual and the game has started crashing every turn, this is loving infuriating.

edit: yep, crashes every time now, cant continue the game. Sad!

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 29, 2017

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Panfilo posted:

Queek's start is harder than I thought. Just getting bogged down by Kroq Gar and Lizardmen in general are a tough nut to crack.

Though I am really amused at how quickly and frequently skaven units rally. They're practically cycle charging with how often they run away and come back.

You need to get the tier 4/5 weapon team units, otherwise you're gonna get bodied by the big bois when they start coming, too. The last defenders are the other Lizard LL, so he's pretty swole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I didn't think that black arks could attack costal cities. At least, I haven't been able to launch attacks with them. They might be able to reinforce attacks started by a lord, though.

Also, I've mostly been skipping corsairs in favor of shielded darkshards and shades and it's working ok for me. I think I should have used the handbow corsairs more though, since everyone here seems to think they're great.

One thing about upgrading your ark's fire support: The cooldowns increase significantly and since they start on cooldown​, it might not actually be good to do so. Definitely increase their slave hold asap though, slaves are a huge boost to your economy if you concentrate them somewhere. The rebellions that lots of slaves will bring are really nice too.