Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This is the Trek I've been waiting for since the original series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Seth admiring his ship was meta as hell.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What the gently caress that episode was good

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
This is the best Trek series. I hope it can start an optimistic trend so other networks can see you don't have to be so grim and gritty all the time.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

So did they make that episode specificity for me? It felt like it pushed all my buttons for science fiction.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

MisterBibs posted:

This show is too optimistic for it, but I was expecting some Nightfall action when the stars came out.

I love how the bad guy even has his "it's all true and I'm okay with that" moment.

I came here to talk about Nightfall. That's one of my favorite scifi yarns.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This ep was more like it. Proper sci-fi star trek plot.

MA-Horus posted:

LIAM loving NEESON?!?!?

WHAT ABOUT NON STOP THOUGH

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pakled posted:

So this was their "gently caress the Prime Directive" episode.

Union doesn't have a prime directive :getin:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Admiral Bosch posted:

I came here to talk about Nightfall. That's one of my favorite scifi yarns.

I've rented the novel twice and couldn't find the time to actually read it, twice.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think Orville has a bigger orchestra than any of the Trek TV series ever had; Variety says MacFarlane was able to get a 75-piece orchestra, which I think is like double what TNG got.

It's not the size that counts; it's what you do with it!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Classic sci fi episode, with a couple bits of awkward dialogue. Hope Alara just ends up with the nickname 'Pickles'.

Also Isaac says 'lift' what's up with that

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What the gently caress that episode was good

:yeah:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Episodes keep getting better, hope they can keep it up

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Love Stole the Day posted:

It's not the size that counts; it's what you do with it!

And he's doing just the right thing with his massive orchestra. I want to hear classical tunes to my drat sci-fi, the contrast between new and old pleases me.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Did anybody else catch the "Tom Paris and B'Llana Torres" foreshadowing in that latest episode?

After the B'Llana girl was talking about how she's looking for a relationship, the Tom Paris guy was talking about how he detests the idea of having a relationship.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Liam Neeson Approved.
Suck a dick critics.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Chop Sunni posted:

Also Isaac says 'lift' what's up with that

He's a British robot obviously :rolleyes:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Henry David Emerson...

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

He's a British robot obviously :rolleyes:

I was expecting Mercer to respond, "No, I think it's an elevator."

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well that was just a great episode of Star Trek basically. drat I hope they can squeeze a few seasons at least out of Fox.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This episode made me smile so many times. Mortus and Klyden's domestic squabbles, the V'Ger-as-hell docking/exploration sequence, BOOM BITCH, everything Alara, the whole last ten minutes... this show is like having a pint with an old friend.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
"You must be Hamelac. Nice name! Just kidding. It's not."

I love this show.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All right, I'm fully on board. That was a solid episode of Start Truck right there. Please don't cancel this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

vermin posted:

Henry David Emerson...

I was expecting Mercer to respond, "No, I think it's an elevator."

I was expecting there to be elevator music.

And I love that they show the bridge crew shooting the poo poo while working, unlike TNG's "everybody sits in silence".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was expecting them to go down and discover a race of mutated Morlocks in the lower decks given that the woman in the farm asked the crew if they were from the Underland, and then the Morlocks would gently caress poo poo up and the dictator of the town would go "This is what fuckin' happens when you doubt my word, you end up with goddamn Morlocks!"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I think it was good, but not great, but mainly because of the hammy overacting villain they just decided to punch out. There really wasn't much of a dilemma here, just"we find crazy stuff, figure it out and get the plot told to us". And then everyone gets ice-cream and spaceships at the end.

On the other hand at least we didn't get a similarly hammy message trying to put forward the idea that lying to people to keep them safe is fine like a man in the cave situation. Heck the moral here is that you should be open to new ideas, interfere with people for their own good if they can't help themselves or are in a really bad spot and that it is fine to punch out religious fascists.

Sometimes a nice simple moral and optimistic ending is all you need after weeks of depressing drama and worrying about the future in real life.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
That was just the best Star Trek episode since DS9 went off the air.
I actually got a bit misty when they opened the dome and the settlers saw the stars for the first time.
Fox, please don't gently caress this up like every other sci-fi show in the history of the channel kthnx.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Episode 4 owned, this whole show fuckin owns

Seriously its good and I never expected this

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Stairs posted:

Fox, please don't gently caress this up like every other sci-fi show in the history of the channel kthnx.
Not just sci-fi. I'm still pretty loving salty about what they did to Wonderfalls.

I thought this episode was excellent, and it could have easily been a storyline right out of mid-run TNG (minus a stupid Prime Directive dilemma, and more people calling each other dicks).

And... The AV Club gave it a C, calling it mediocre.

I feel like half the critics are determined to hate anything Seth MacFarlane does, and the other half are disappointed that it's not Family Guy in Space.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 29, 2017

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I was half-expecting the XO go go full HAM on Hamelac when she got freed, like break a chair over his back beatdown.

And I like the weapon effects too. Phaser beams never made a lot of sense to me.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I did think it was a bit funny that the people seeing the first "nightfall" in 2,000 years were like "huh, lookie that" instead of freaking out.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Ep 4 was good as gently caress.

I have many questions for the critics who initially panned this show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was actually half expecting the nerve serum to not work on her since she's human and not their species. I was hoping she was just acting at first and was going to say "just kidding, that didn't do anything."

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

WhiteHowler posted:

I feel like half the critics are determined to hate anything Seth MacFarlane does, and the other half are disappointed that it's not Family Guy in Space.

A lot of goons too, which is too bad :(. It's that loving awful trailer that makes it look like an aborted Adam Sandler film. Chances are they're not going to see the episodes and just assume it's bad. The Orville's out there though for the public, and I doubt the majority of people give a poo poo what critics have to say these days.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Brawnfire posted:

I did think it was a bit funny that the people seeing the first "nightfall" in 2,000 years were like "huh, lookie that" instead of freaking out.

I was expecting at least one quick shot of someone getting ready to kill himself or I don't know, at least praying? Maybe that kid's mom or something. It would have ruined the feel of the scene though and at this point I definitely trust that Macfarlane and the writers know what they're doing here.

Edit: Personally I loved the subversion of the very Star Trek cliché of eating alien food with no problems or issues

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I was actually half expecting the nerve serum to not work on her since she's human and not their species. I was hoping she was just acting at first and was going to say "just kidding, that didn't do anything."

I was really hoping for this too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's like they have a wheel, with three options for tropes: "lampshade", "invert expectations", or "go for broke".

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

vermin posted:

I doubt the majority of people give a poo poo what critics have to say these days.
I do read the AV Club often, and they have a number of pretty good writers (not all, obviously). I've taken a chance on several new series based on seeing a string of high grades.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

WhiteHowler posted:

Not just sci-fi. I'm still pretty loving salty about what they did to Wonderfalls.

I thought this episode was excellent, and it could have easily been a storyline right out of mid-run TNG (minus a stupid Prime Directive dilemma, and more people calling each other dicks).

And... The AV Club gave it a C, calling it mediocre.

It was a different reviewer this week. I suspect Zach Handlen, who did the previous reviews would have had a different opinion - He's been more positive on this show than other critics, and it's no surprise that he also did all the TNG and DS9 reviews for the site.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Huh, that was weird. I actually liked it.

It was hammy as hell and you could drive ten generation ships through the various plot holes, but I really didn't care. TNG was the same way for me. It was a cool pulp sci-fi tale, presented in a competent manner, with fun characters and it was not taking itself too seriously to have fun. Also, it had an optimistic tone. Good job, hope they get a second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah I think that's what is making me root for the show. Managing to have a plot that is optimistic without being overly sweet is difficult and tends to have the opposite effect, but this time it just seems earnest instead.

Hammy as all hell, but still something I didn't realize I was missing.