Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I liked that Klyden was doing stereotypicsl things, but only because he asked the computer to recommend him food and entertainment. Like the stereotype was perpetuated by cultural influence, rather than individual preference.

It's way funnier than if Klyden had pouted and been like "well now I'm going to eat ice cream and watch a musical". That would have been a lame joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gynovore posted:

Another cute thing... when he says he wants to eat something to cheer him up, the computer gives him tons of options, but when he wants to watch something to make him happy, it goes right to that.

A missed opportunity for some Conway Twitty if you ask me

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I wonder what part of California they did all the location shooting in (and when, because it was heavy on green grass and light on wildflowers).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All I could think while they were walking through that grass is they're going to get eaten up by ticks and they actually mention lyme disease and I smiled.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I was half expecting the grassy area that they lived in to be one of many areas like that on the ship. There would be different societies in different states of civilization all aboard the same ship.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Amazon has the first season DVD set for pre-order.

And this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

And this:

Dangit, If they'd written it as Central Planetary Union that'd make a great initialism/acronym.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm surprised absolutely nobody here noticed that at the beginning of them boarding the generation ship, Seth orders Isaac to go back and message The Orville... and the very next scene has Isaac going with them to find people.

Add that to the fact that they mention the Underworld and the elevator's down button never gets pressed... It's so loving crazy how this show is so heavily edited that it creates a ton of false-positive plot notes. Super loving weird.

As for the episode order, when you consider that they shoved episode 4, the social justice episode, to be episode 3, it's very likely that they did this because they knew they were only going to show critics 3 episodes and wanted to ensure they got that important one in there. I mentioned this to my friend who works in Hollywood and understands the random bullshit that happens there and he says "yeah, it's very likely that's exactly why they did that." So there you go. Hopefully it means the rest of the show lines up properly.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

DaveKap posted:

I'm surprised absolutely nobody here noticed that at the beginning of them boarding the generation ship, Seth orders Isaac to go back and message The Orville... and the very next scene has Isaac going with them to find people.

I noticed that. I just assumed that Isaac did it really quickly. They had only just gotten inside at that point so they were right by the door.

quote:

Add that to the fact that they mention the Underworld and the elevator's down button never gets pressed... It's so loving crazy how this show is so heavily edited that it creates a ton of false-positive plot notes. Super loving weird.

Yeah, that was a bit weird. Maybe it was cut for time?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Mister Kingdom posted:

And this:

:eng101: The United Planets are Earth's space nation in the movie The Forbidden Planet which was a direct inspiration for Star Trek

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yeah, that was a bit weird. Maybe it was cut for time?

well they had to fit the sound of music in somehow

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Not sure what it is but that episode actually reminded me more of SG-1 than anything else.

Not that stargate wasn't inspired by star trek, so its all fair game.

CPColin posted:

I wonder what part of California they did all the location shooting in (and when, because it was heavy on green grass and light on wildflowers).

Dunno but its real obvious they couldn't afford Liam Neeson for real, his whole part was recorded in one take and he never interacted with anybody else on the show.

Still cool though and it fit the sci-fi plot perfectly.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 30, 2017

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

If anyone is interested in an Orville shirt but doesn't like the gray version I'm currently selling a spare one I got at SDCC. It's black and exclusive to Comic Con

I'm impressed as hell with the show so far. It just feels like a Seth got the go ahead to make the Next Generation show he always wanted.

https://www.ebay.com/i/263237119797

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Zaphod42 posted:

Not sure what it is but that episode actually reminded me more of SG-1 than anything else.

Not that stargate wasn't inspired by star trek, so its all fair game.

Dunno but its real obvious they couldn't afford Liam Neeson for real, his whole part was recorded in one take and he never interacted with anybody else on the show.

Still cool though and it fit the sci-fi plot perfectly.

Liam worked with Seth on a movie, and Charlize Theron is a guest on next week's episode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Davros1 posted:

Liam worked with Seth on a movie, and Charlize Theron is a guest on next week's episode.

Yeah and what we've seen of the clip she's actually gonna be on stage with the others, that's a pretty huge get.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Well it would have been kind of weird for the 1000-year-dead captain to be on stage with the rest of the actors.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MisterBibs posted:

I've rented the novel twice and couldn't find the time to actually read it, twice.

:siren: DO NOT DO THIS :siren:

Do not read the novel. Read the short story!

Also, I'm wondering if Isaac's report is going to cause his people to attempt to genocide the Union.

It was a good episode this week.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CPColin posted:

Well it would have been kind of weird for the 1000-year-dead captain to be on stage with the rest of the actors.

Well yeah that's what I meant by these words

Zaphod42 posted:

and it fit the sci-fi plot perfectly.

but its fair to imagine they gave him that role or even wrote that role so he could do it quick and easy. He may be involved in some other project or just busy being Neeson.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Beachcomber posted:

Also, I'm wondering if Isaac's report is going to cause his people to attempt to genocide the Union.

It was a good episode this week.

Personally I'm looking forward to every Kaylon referring to the humans as dicks from now on

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The movie they were in with him want particularly good out really needed for them to do at all, so that they appear on his tv show seems like he's probably nice to work with

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

He's just watching the clip on space youtube, not the whole movie.

Not enough ads for it to be space youtube.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Isaac grated a little, but I'm dismissing it as episode 2 series setup stuff, and it'll go away.

This is a seriously good show already, and I'm loving it.

John's much quieter second 'boom' killed me.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm blown away by how fast I've taken to The Orville after finding the first episode to be a total shitshow—a well-intentioned shitshow, but a shitshow nonetheless. For my tastes, it still careens a little too awkwardly between comedy and drama, feeling less like a balance and more like emotional pinball. But god drat, the heart on this thing papers over so much. I suppose a show that costs so much to make should have more going for it than affability, but I can't complain about the result.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Really loving this show. It really does have heart and feels like a great tribute to star trek and especially TNG, you can tell Seth and the writers are massive fans and even if the humor is sometimes hit and miss the rest is really getting better as the show goes on.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The movie they were in with him want particularly good out really needed for them to do at all, so that they appear on his tv show seems like he's probably nice to work with

This sentence hurt my brain

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really like how that episode could have fit in either TOS or TNG. Fantastic one, and T-Bag was great, as was Lt. Wife (sorry I don't remember her name)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Union doesn't have a prime directive

I'd bet Actual Money that there will be an episode later where The Orville gets taken in for a courtroom scene about how they keep violating "the #1 rule" and the crew argue that the Prime Directive is kinda dumb as a hard unbreakable rule that doesn't take any context into account.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I'd bet Actual Money that there will be an episode later where The Orville gets taken in for a courtroom scene about how they keep violating "the #1 rule" and the crew argue that the Prime Directive is kinda dumb as a hard unbreakable rule that doesn't take any context into account.

Even better if they cite not-Kirk and not-Picard breaking it in all kinds of classic scenarios.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just Chamber posted:

Really loving this show. It really does have heart and feels like a great tribute to star trek and especially TNG, you can tell Seth and the writers are massive fans and even if the humor is sometimes hit and miss the rest is really getting better as the show goes on.

This sentence hurt my brain

Yeah that was some really bad autocorrect.

I was saying they went into a movie with him that sucked but still want to work with him on a tv show they know isn't going to be prestigious despite being huge movie stars, so he must just be fun to work with.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I wonder if they'll eventually introduce a Borg counterpart

Edit: I'm rewatching the first episode now and it's a lot better on a repeat viewing.

vermin fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 30, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

vermin posted:

Even better if they have them be insects that inexplicably turn into robots halfway through the episode and everyone's confused as to how and why.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

They were always robots, and any talk of them.being parasitic insects is nonsense!

vermin fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 30, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

precision posted:

Hm, I guess it is a pretty big deal in Trek and so its likely they could touch on it at some point. But if they do I see it being less a court case and more them trying to help some species while not violating the rule and all the constant irony that creates.

Like a small child trips, and someone starts to go help her up, and they're like "no! We can't interfere!!" silly poo poo like that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Even better if they cite not-Kirk and not-Picard breaking it in all kinds of classic scenarios.

Even better if that episode is the one where Seth plays his Patrick Stewart Is My Friend card and has him actually show up as Capt. Jorge Mackard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

vermin posted:

Edit: I'm rewatching the first episode now and it's a lot better on a repeat viewing.

The robot guy is part data but he's also part seven-of-nine, I could see his people being borg-like based on how the Menagerie / Zookeeper guy talked about them. Would just need some excuse for a conflict.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

https://twitter.com/hismanj/status/911040058274324480

https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/status/911040464723222528

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

The robot guy is part data but he's also part seven-of-nine, I could see his people being borg-like based on how the Menagerie / Zookeeper guy talked about them. Would just need some excuse for a conflict.

Part 7 of 9? Are the Kaylons going to inexplicably have Austin Powers fembots?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

precision posted:

And then at the end of the episode, we find out that "the number one rule" is not to take a leak while on a planet that hasn't made first contact yet.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Man I am just continuously mindblown by the fact that I am a fan of a Seth MacFarlane show this is insaaaane

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gynovore posted:

And then at the end of the episode, we find out that "the number one rule" is not to take a leak while on a planet that hasn't made first contact yet.

Yeah immediately after I posted that I realized I'd set up that joke, heh.

Kazinsal posted:

Man I am just continuously mindblown by the fact that I am a fan of a Seth MacFarlane show this is insaaaane

We all are!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Kurieg posted:

Next week should, barring any more shuffling, be the one with Charlize Theron, and it's directed by Johnathan Frakes

Can he PLEASE play a chef in the mess hall, in addition to directing?

precision posted:

Even better if that episode is the one where Seth plays his Patrick Stewart Is My Friend card and has him actually show up as Capt. Jorge Mackard.

Stewart plays the judge, several Q quotes occur. Later, de Lancie plays a well respected starship captain.