Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Anybody taking accountability of you? Bribe a ride to the airport and go on vacation for a few days.

No poo poo when I was a PL a group of commanders went to Vegas when we were doing nothing at RUBA. Nothing bad happened, nobody in the chain of command freaked out, and everyone enjoyed themselves. It was very un-Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
There's no one keeping track of me but seems kind of dickish to disappear for a day or two to Vegas or LA when my dudes are stuck in RUBA jerking off in porta shitters to pass the time.

Might try to get in on a round trip ride to one or the other though. And as a PL I can get away with way less than a commander can.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Why not set up a rotation to get everyone out for a day or two. Nobody gives a poo poo about the trail party. Just make sure you send an adult with them so they don't do anything stupid.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Mustang posted:

There's no one keeping track of me

You're doing this wrong

quote:

when my dudes

Really insanely fuckin wrong

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

They get out and about Irwin, they're not completely stuck in RUBA but Irwin itself isn't much better

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

It's not like Bakersfield is any better.

Definitely try this, find a "safety reason" to leave a day early to he airport if you are all egressing like that. That's what I did and I just needed that one night of free booze and slots.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

If you get the chance to at least go to Barstow, eat at Oggi's. Decent pizza, and a pretty good beer selection. We ate there when we went for an observation of another unit.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
My proudest Ntc moment was getting me and some guys out a day early. They put me on the last bus after I'd had been the first one there and the tried to get us to leave really late for some reason. I asked politely and got us a ride out.

43 loving days. Never again.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TheAlphaChaser posted:

No poo poo when I was a PL a group of commanders went to Vegas when we were doing nothing at RUBA. Nothing bad happened, nobody in the chain of command freaked out, and everyone enjoyed themselves. It was very un-Army.

There's a reason the enlisted soldiers hate officers so much.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
While I've obviously not had nearly the same level of day to day bullshit that lower enlisted deal with in the field, I think about the most I've capitalized on during exercises as an officer is when the group of us who have to go to some briefing or whatever an hour or two drive away, we'd stop at a fast food joint and get In 'n Out or something. Driving officers and senior enlisted to those briefings was a highly sought after detail for junior enlisted or NCOs, as a result.

Also while such stops are delicious, after weeks of MREs and field kitchen food, fast food will sometimes run through you like Jodie through a wive's club.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

There's a reason the enlisted soldiers hate officers so much.
Officers will be the death of us all.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Also while such stops are delicious, after weeks of MREs and field kitchen food, fast food will sometimes run through you like Jodie through a wive's club.

One time they brought us pizza at the tail end of eating MREs for a week. Three slices and fifteen minutes later I was in the porta shitter having a religious experience.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The best portashitter story is either the one where they forgot to order them for a few of our new TOC jump and we had wagbags and 1 lonely portajohn for 300 people for 2 days, or the one where some dude dropped his loving helmet in the portashitter.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Hahaha, I'd eat a statement of charges if I did that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dropped a helmet in? Just say you lost it and eat the statement of charges.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. Not as bad as the guy who had his helmet poo poo in twice. But that was outside the portajohn and did not count.

I laughed when it happened to him because at first I thought he said "ACU" and was trying to change. Or whatever and then I heard a rustlin and an expletive and I was like "what happened?"
:( : "dropped my ACU in the toilet"
:awesome: "that sucks, you have a spare uniform?"
:( : "No, my ACH. In the loving hole."

Didn't stop laughing, even when I ran into a hitch full stride because I didn't have NODS.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh no I hope he didn't have NODS on his helmet. That's something I'd go poo poo diving for.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
What's the lowest value chargeable item you'd make your joe fish out

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

its curtains for Kevin posted:

His pride

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Ended up getting one of the new 3ds's, they're actually pretty cool and conveniently compact

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Gerber. Done it, those shitters ain't deep, used three garbage bags like a glove, pulled it out for them.

Got a coin for it, ended up becoming a "tradition" in the unit to blue splash coins, but really only had one goober actually do it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
A piece of paper with coordinates. Used a stick. Transcribed and never had to touch the poop.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I know a guy that had to fish a grenade out.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Can you imagine dropping a log and it somehow knocks the pin out and you blow your rear end off

Would that be a Purple Heart?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I know a guy who dropped a rifle into a permanent mega-deep shitter. They rigged up a rappelling rig and he got it back Aussie style.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

I know a guy who dropped a rifle into a permanent mega-deep shitter. They rigged up a rappelling rig and he got it back Aussie style.
:barf:

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Wasabi the J posted:

Gerber. Done it, those shitters ain't deep, used three garbage bags like a glove, pulled it out for them.

Got a coin for it, ended up becoming a "tradition" in the unit to blue splash coins, but really only had one goober actually do it.

At my last AT I joked to our PSG that the new guy to our unit (been there for a month) deserves a medal for unclogging a shitter in our designated separate-building bathroom. Someone dropped a huge gross half-diarrhea MRE deuce and clogged this toilet and it sat for a week and a half until we were clearing and he plunged that thing with a plunger that was missing half the handle, and he had no protective gear.

PSG put him in and he got an AAM and a coin from the BC lol

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

rifles posted:

At my last AT I joked to our PSG that the new guy to our unit (been there for a month) deserves a medal for unclogging a shitter in our designated separate-building bathroom. Someone dropped a huge gross half-diarrhea MRE deuce and clogged this toilet and it sat for a week and a half until we were clearing and he plunged that thing with a plunger that was missing half the handle, and he had no protective gear.

army.txt right there...

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

rifles posted:

Thought I was on duffleblog for a sec

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Appeals court rules Bales still a war criminal despite his malaria-drugs-made-me-crazy defense.

Wasn't someone in this guy's unit?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Other BNs get to drink this weekend but of course mine decides we're not adult enough to do so

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Other BNs get to drink this weekend but of course mine decides we're not adult enough to do so

I thought you said your unit did well?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I, and I'm pretty sure somebody else, was in his brigade. Not his battalion, though.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

I thought you said your unit did well?

So? Children can do well

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Met my PEBLO for the first time on Friday, and got things rolling. :feelsgood:

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I'm getting a super early command because a lot of captains refradded. Should let me do a vtip earlier now

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Only piece of advice I'd give you is don't let your problem children affect your view of the company. I have a lot of friends who looked at their company through their dealings with the worst soldiers since that's what they handled with 90% of the time. The majority of your Soldiers will probably be normal people that just want to get finish their contract and move on with life.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
On the other hand, don't think your best soldier is indicative of anything either. 90% of junior enlisted are pieces of poo poo.

(I was combat arms so ymmv)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Only piece of advice I'd give you is don't let your problem children affect your view of the company. I have a lot of friends who looked at their company through their dealings with the worst soldiers since that's what they handled with 90% of the time. The majority of your Soldiers will probably be normal people that just want to get finish their contract and move on with life.

This plus don't get emotional about people who are fuckups. Do the paperwork, follow the law(!), send them home. Angrily yelling at or unofficially punishing a person for weeks or months means they're still a problem. Calmly explaining that they aren't doing the right thing, doing paperwork, and sending them home is waaay better. And NCOs and junior officers will notice and will do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also no matter how common sense the reason for shortages, document it and initiate a FLIPL before you take command. Even if you're short items that haven't existed in a decade. CYA and by extension your nco officers asses.