Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

YES bread posted:

The producers said in some convention interview that the executives just wanted shorter waits between episode releases, to keep interest in the show up. So they'll just be releasing in 7-6 episode batches from here on out.

So literally the opposite of Cartoon Network's model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gaunab posted:

I guess original Teen Titans is here to stay. That's cool with me since it's stopped the bitching about TTG.

Did it? Really?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My little boy really likes Go Jetters on CBeebies, and I'm finding a fair bit of amusement that the just-started second season is playing with the formula established in the first enough to take the piss out of itself. (They've also upped their game on the lighting and environmental CG effects as well - the scenery is really pretty.)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Ok, now I'm tired of old Teen Titans.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It is not a show that has aged particularly well. It also doesn't help that they're only showing from a selection of like 10 episodes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I think nothing will stop MrEnter and the rest of the really vocal haters short of a cancellation with an on air admission from CN's president that TTG was a mistake and it was never actually popular and they're very sorry.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The people who made Don't hug me I'm scared had a hand in making a new episode of gumball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ_fFYJb3co

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The newest episode of Ben 10 takes place at an amusement park. This is all fine and good until you realize it's the exact same amusement park that a previous episode took place at, so I guess on this road trip, they just went to the same place twice?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Maybe they liked that Amusement Park? :shrug:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The latest episode of Wakfu is so loving weird.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/GregCipes/status/912466307018252289

EXCUSE ME.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I actually like TTG and this seems like a bad idea.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

TwoPair posted:

I actually like TTG and this seems like a bad idea.

Serious question: has this ever been a good idea? I can't think of a single tv cartoon to theatrical movie that's worked out.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

mycot posted:

Serious question: has this ever been a good idea? I can't think of a single tv cartoon to theatrical movie that's worked out.

ducktales and goofy movie

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Didn't people like both spongebob movies.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Powerpuff Girls?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Didn't people like both spongebob movies.

I think they liked the second one but the first was kinda weak.

At least that's how I felt.

mycot posted:

Space Jam. :v:

But seriously, that's basically what I was thinking. Most cartoon-to-movie adaptations suffer because they're trying to drag out a typically 22 minute plot into a feature film. TTG is gonna face the even bigger problem of dragging out an 11 minute premise into a movie.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 26, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

mycot posted:

Return of the Joker

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
MASK OF THE PHANTASM

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
^ Didn't do well at the box office.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Return of the Joker

I don't remember that being shown in theatres.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

mycot posted:

Transformers. The 1986 one. That worked out hella well.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

mycot posted:

Does Regular Show count?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The 86 Transformers movie underperformed, iirc. Also, Hasbro-Takara was legit shocked that people were actually upset about robots dying.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Yeah, but how many other cartoons had Orson Wells in it?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

El Tortuga posted:

Yeah, but how many other cartoons had Orson Wells in it?

Judd Nelson and Robert Stack meet up with Eric Idle and wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of Orson Welles and his herald, Leonard Nimoy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TwoPair posted:

I think they liked the second one but the first was kinda weak.

Uh what no absolutely the other way around. I enjoyed both but the first one was amazing.

Also good to see the better version of Teen Titans getting a theatrical movie :)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
For some reason I started thinking about two kids shows that I used to like, one a school-based comedy that basically feels like "Scrubs but in a School" called Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide. I remember enjoying it because it felt like a live action cartoon with ridiculous sets, like a locker with an entire secret passage in the back wall that a character would use when shoved in his locker. It even had a Wacky Janitor. I remember it being a lot of fun.

The other was a mystery story about a black hole in a science classroom, Strange Days at Blake Holsey High. While goofy as gently caress, it liked to throw out plot points in some episodes that would disappear for a while, only to suddenly become relevant to the overarcing plot, with the underlying threat of Pearadyne Industries, a neighboring facility that had an enormous accident decades ago, and it's founder Victor Pearson who works with the headmistress to cover things up. The Black Hole is basically there to make weird poo poo happen that's vaguely relevant to what the science teacher is teaching that day, some of it interesting some of it outright nonsense. If directly entered the Black hole allows travel to multiple points in time: The schools founding, the accident in the 70s, and the present day, and maybe more I can't recall.

I thought that most of what it brought up got used in interesting ways later, there was the clone (that Josie made by accident by putting her DNA on a live petri dish, the black hole accelerated things. The Janitor took her away for reasons that are revealed later), the chi-ball (went back in time through the black hole and in doing so lost all friction becoming a source of infinite energy), and Pearadyne itself. These plot points came together with the reveal that The Janitor actually comes from the future, and took the clone to a point in the future where she could learn how to protect the timeline like he does. The Janitor, however, is from so far in the future that even she cannot fathom it despite being flung quite far by him herself. It's like she went to 4000 AD but he comes from 10000AD. Her role in the rest of the story is to make sure that the Chi ball, which Josie keeps stealing from Victor, gets back to Victor because he will use it to make an amazing future that must be protected. When Josie successfully gets it back in a way that she can't fix, she ends up in an alternate timeline where the school is abandoned and the city nearby is in ruins. End of Season 2. Whoops. It did get a miniseason afterwards to finish off the story completely so it wasn't a complete cliffhanger.

What did everyone else think of those shows?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Ned's Declassified was created by the same guy who created Johnny Test

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I liked Same Days. It was good. The short lived Tower Prep, which also came out during that sane strange period as Ned's Declassified, had that same sort of overarching plot as Strange Days mixed with regular day to day weirdness except instead of weird future science, it's super powers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I liked Same Days. It was good. The short lived Tower Prep, which also came out during that sane strange period as Ned's Declassified, had that same sort of overarching plot as Strange Days mixed with regular day to day weirdness except instead of weird future science, it's super powers.

I liked that really dumb episode where the school got a cold (Marshall is working on a server system for the students laptops, he has a cold, he sneezes and the black hole turns it into a computer virus and infects the server, which in turn infects the school building because it's plugged in :downs:), it was entirely written just as an excuse to slime the headmistress, although I also liked the ticking clock - of all the symptoms of a cold, like the aforementioned air vents getting clogged noses and sneezing on the principal, what could the worst possible combination? The Furnace has a Fever. Better cure the school before it explodes! That one was the dumbest one by far, but it was hilarious.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Tower Prep would have worked had it not come out in CN's ill-advised "CN Real" period. Put it on another network and it would have been a big hit, I think.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

Tower Prep would have worked had it not come out in CN's ill-advised "CN Real" period. Put it on another network and it would have been a big hit, I think.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a lot of networks that would have picked it up and kept it as it was. I think both Disney and Nick have their own superhero style shows, but they're more structured like multi-camera sitcoms rather than something akin to The Sarah Jane Adventures. I assume Dini also had enough clout with CN to get it greenlit anyways. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of places that would greenlight a series like that without making it more mature (for channels like CW, Freeform or MTV) or more comedic (for channels like Nick or Disney) and while I think the former would've been better than the latter, it wouldn't have quite been the same.

Edit: Looking up the producers for the show, it looks like they got to do another series for BBC America, but it also lasted a single season. Dini, meanwhile is still getting some writing work based off of his IMDB.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 26, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Nickelodeon's been putting up short pilots on it's facebook. This one's the best one so far (it's also based off of a short lived webcomic)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Are they gonna book entire theaters to just air the movie ad nauseam too.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I don't think the Teen Titans Go movie will be remotely good but I do think it will be fairly profitable. Merchandising! Toy sales! Fast food restaurant children's meal toys! With the short time frame between announcement and release date, it sounds like this is being made now, which means the budget will be the value of 7 or 8 TV episodes plus whatever guest voices are willing to take an easy job plus marketing. Even if the movie flops it'll be cheap enough to make some scratch in the long run.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, that's probably how the bones will roll.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

What did everyone else think of those shows?

I really liked Ned's Declassified! Being a kid at the time I obviously had some bias there, but it had a lot of great humour and was genuinely relatable in a lot of aspects even if I wasn't going to school in the US. I still try to do the 'make Mondays your treat yourself day so you'll look forward to it' thing occasionally. I never really watched Strange Days on account of only catching one-off episodes every now and then, so the overarching plot was kind of incomprehensible and I just avoided it after a while. It did seem really interesting, just that tv scheduling was conspiring against me.

kefkafloyd posted:

I can't help but feel like they could've done really well on Disney, where people tend to expect live action kids shows to be. With all the sitcoms, it would've been nice to see more shows with action and mysteries.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

VibrantPareidolia posted:

I really liked Ned's Declassified! Being a kid at the time I obviously had some bias there, but it had a lot of great humour and was genuinely relatable in a lot of aspects even if I wasn't going to school in the US. I still try to do the 'make Mondays your treat yourself day so you'll look forward to it' thing occasionally. I never really watched Strange Days on account of only catching one-off episodes every now and then, so the overarching plot was kind of incomprehensible and I just avoided it after a while. It did seem really interesting, just that tv scheduling was conspiring against me.

Yeah, I first saw Strange Days and Shaman King when I got the pilots on DVDs that were found in UK Cereal boxes promoting the Fox Kids channel. Went back and watched the subbed (to avoid 4Kids censorship issues, same reason as Cardcaptor Sakura) version of Shaman King years later and despite Chocolove's terrible character (design, I thought he was a likable fellow he was just drawn like a terrible black caricature and named badly due to Japan) I thought it was a solid story.

I liked that the characters initially got bigger and meaner powers, only for the final stage of the superpowers to be "You're wasting too much energy with these giant weapons, concentrate the energy better" - it meant the final battle was basically just a high-stakes sword fight between Hao and Yoh which was much more satisfying. Just two dudes with swords having a grudge match. There was a cute side-visual where Mort and Hao's sidekick, a young african boy who's power was turning into a sheep for some reason, stood on the sidelines watching the fight and talking about their respective friends. No fighting between them, they didn't care about what had happened, they were just watching, each hoping their guy would win but not begrudging the other one for being on the "wrong" side. A friendly debate to contrast with a brutal swordfight. Spoiled a little with some generic "Character loses but comes back with power of friendship" but still a decent way for the show to go out.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think it's mitigated by the fact that Yoh didn't so much lose as he had the poo poo (and his soul) beaten out of him

The fact it aired on uk tv as it did was something of a small, horrific, miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The dub of shaman king was actually p good iirc