Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Fans posted:

There's a button in the bottom left that'll stop unit info disappearing when you move off it

On the skill tree menu? I can't find it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Deified Data posted:

Little thing I noticed that I'm sure most of you have - choosing your campaign difficulty at LL selection doesn't effect battle difficulty, unlike in TW:W1 where it defaulted to whatever campaign difficulty you chose. For those weirdos among you who enjoy battles on anything but normal.

What? A VH campaign selection gives you VH battle difficulty. You can change that in options if you like.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Brasseye posted:

Is there a good online resource for lore on these new races? They all seem really interesting but I dont know anything about them, or the Warhammer world.

You can download all of the now-defunct "army books" from previous editions of tabletop: Warhammer.http://www.mediafire.com/folder/2qbp22o8ch8qc/Warhammer_Fantasy_Battles

They were rulebooks but also source material.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
People keep talking about how easy High Elves are, but I am losing in the campaign map because I don't have any money and both my provinces are on the verge of rebellion all the time. It's about turn 25 with Teclis, I wiped out the Xeti Guardians and took the ritual resource site from the Dark Elves but their capital is fortified. I have a stack of 15-20 Sea guard and archers, and have leveled up all the best spells. My settlements are all green buildings but I still can't stabilize. What gives?! Very Hard difficulty.

Also lol one of the Saurus Oldblood names is Sinclair, the name of the family in "Dinosaurs!"

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Best thing to do is build multiple public order buildings in every province as High Elves, since they also provide income. It's cruel to deny the Asur a plaza in every town for all their conniving needs, it's like leaving a dog alone by itself all day.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I really wish diplomacy worked more like Stellaris and huge power differences in your favour meant a person was more likely to want peace.

Time to move onto Lizardmen. I really hate the High Elf map.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The Black Pyramid of Nagash takes 40 turns to make. Turns are already so long having so much of the map seen, this is gonna take forever.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

What? A VH campaign selection gives you VH battle difficulty. You can change that in options if you like.

If this is the case, I guess that's only reflected after the official campaign start and the battle difficulty under advanced options isn't effected by the difficulty slider on the LL selection screen. I'll experiment when I get off work - I can attest that at least this much is true.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Does anyone else have a problem where the graphics settings keep changing whenever you exit the game? I keep having to set the game to windowed.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Playing this my first Total War game. Lizards on Normal. I took both Norse occupied settlements. Public order got bad. Dark Elves and Skaven declared war on me simultaneously. While I was sitting my newest Ziggurat, a two unit Norse dude rocked up and 'encircled' my massive army and main dude, and for some reason that means I can't use them. I made a new lord and built him a small army to waltz over and relieve him. Immediately ambushed by a 20 unit Skaven war party. More Skaven appeared by my capital. They went into rebellion because of a military presence. Some other army appeared from the jungle.

I'm just going to re-load. What's the advice for sieging? Seems crazy that I can't just walk out my front door and attack. Was I just not seeing an option or something?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

Playing this my first Total War game. Lizards on Normal. I took both Norse occupied settlements. Public order got bad. Dark Elves and Skaven declared war on me simultaneously. While I was sitting my newest Ziggurat, a two unit Norse dude rocked up and 'encircled' my massive army and main dude, and for some reason that means I can't use them. I made a new lord and built him a small army to waltz over and relieve him. Immediately ambushed by a 20 unit Skaven war party. More Skaven appeared by my capital. They went into rebellion because of a military presence. Some other army appeared from the jungle.

I'm just going to re-load. What's the advice for sieging? Seems crazy that I can't just walk out my front door and attack. Was I just not seeing an option or something?

Hmm, as far as I know you should have been able to sally forth any attack the enemy encircling you. If it all happened as described it may be some interface bug.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Sacking ritual sites should really give you a nice little boost of ritual currency to further facilitate raiding economies. You can do just fine with raiding as far as money/experience/etc but your ritual progression will be glacial.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Jeza posted:

Select the city or defending army, right click the attacking army.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

The Black Pyramid of Nagash takes 40 turns to make. Turns are already so long having so much of the map seen, this is gonna take forever.

Ok, I really want to know what it does.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Select the city or defending army, right click the attacking army.

I swear I did. Over and over! I'll report back whether I'm retarded if the situation happens again.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

I swear I did. Over and over! I'll report back whether I'm retarded if the situation happens again.

Hope it works! If not it's definitely not behaving properly.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol every single Total War game the thread has to inform people that sallying exists.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I found out you can cast Net of Amyntok on flying units. RIP that Chaos lord on his dragon and the manticores when they got grounded in the middle of my Saurus spearmen.

edit: It's also quite obvious at this point that someone went "Guys, we ran out of Lizardmen names! Someone grab me a Dutch dictionary"

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 30, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I don't know what everyone is talking about, Queek is lots of fun. I've specced him right into max +ambush and lightning strike and he's now like the most ingenious, rattiest strategist there ever was, ambushing and destroying enemies by the hundreds, clanrats bursting from the grund and heavily armored foes melted by warp-fire while monsters are killed by nerve gas. Loving it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Randarkman posted:

I don't know what everyone is talking about, Queek is lots of fun. I've specced him right into max +ambush and lightning strike and he's now like the most ingenious, rattiest strategist there ever was, ambushing and destroying enemies by the hundreds, clanrats bursting from the grund and heavily armored foes melted by warp-fire while monsters are killed by nerve gas. Loving it.

The issue isn't that Queek isn't fun. He totally is.

The issue is if you start as Tyrion or Malekith, you get to focus on building an Empire, then beating the poo poo out of the other Empire.

If you start as Mazdamundi, Morathi, Teclis, or Skrolk, you get involved in the 4 way murder town action that is the nonstop fight of Lustria.

If you start or Queek or Kroq'gar, you bust the other then ?????. Beat up a bunch of minor kingdoms that can't do poo poo to you. Get to stare longingly at Araby and Nekhara knowing they'll be super cool in a few months. Try to sail off your hell continent only to learn Skaven autoresolve scores mean you'll never be able to land on any other continent since even with two armies you'll lose every naval engagement.

Like why play the Queek campaign where it's "over" immediately when I can play the Skrolk campaign and have to beat all the nonrats out of my jungles meaning near constant fights with HElves, Lizards, and DElves.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Queek is ridiculously fun, as is skaven. His top tree is silly good, and stealing XP from other lords is hilarious on top of good. My only complaint is you can't rename him.

I want to be the biggest rat, gently caress queek, Panzer is better.

Edit: Exactly that, spend your loving food, rats don't need to be well fed.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 30, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alright, I have no qualms whatsoever with raiding my own lands as Skaven. It gets you experience, food, and loot, it makes thematic sense, and most importantly, rebellions are going to happen anyway because there's too many goddamn rats and even the rats hate it. A Skaven Lord in your starting province can cover that flank easily with Skavenslaves and slingers, while Queek can camp the neighboring province's capital and have a wall to retreat to in case Kroq-gar's sniffing around. Build your poo poo up and eventually you'll be able to recruit your warcrime weapons, and then you're off to the races.

Also, the energy generation building line is your key to a real income. Every Skaven building makes a tiny amount of cash, and the generator multiplies that amount up to 2x at maximum level. Thus, you want more slots ASAP (farm that food from battles and spent it as much as possible) so you can get money rolling in.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Jeza posted:

Might be a bug, might be that their banner was obscured by your banner and it didn't register. But sallying is still there, the Norse did the same to me and my guys feasted well.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Are any of the upgrades to the Black Arks bombardment abilities particularly good?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Money, broadly speaking, isn't an issue at skaven, food is. You're stuck between needing a large empire to generate warpstone to compete with rituals and not having enough food to support a large empire. For instance my last rat campaign before starting over had 4 full provinces and was dropping -16 food a turn.

My current campaign focuses on capitals and food-producing settlements only, so I'm +2 food per turn but can 'only' support 3 stacks.

It makes ritual invasions a huge pain in the rear end, as they spawn and siege in one turn. You just can't cover your territory.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Fun lore facts.

- Malekith, Tyrion, and Teclis are all related. Of course they are, they are Elves.

- Malekith's dad pulling out the Sword of Khaine cursed the whole family. This curse is represented by both madness and fragility. In the case of the twins Tyrion and Teclis, they each inherited one half. Tyrion is loving INSANE. He hides it pretty well, and he's a great swordmaster/strategist, but he's constantly got voices in his head telling him to murder everyone. Teclis got the fragility. To note, Teclis wasn't able to lift his staff for most of his life, and his clothes weigh him down. A stiff breeze could easily knock him over. He got over this when the Loremasters of Hoeth, who also happen to be swole motherfuckers that can deflect arrows with their swords took him in and had him lift to the point he could stand in place and at least lift a staff.

- Mazdamundi is considered an aggressive rear end in a top hat by the other Slann. He's constantly pushing to move things forward, rather then sit and think more about the Old Ones.

- Kroq'gar's Carnosaur is named Grym'loq. Yup.

- Malekith is a monster, but he's also actually the real Phoenix King. All the current Phoenix Kings had to fake the ceremony to get coronated, and the gods have basically wholly abandoned the Elves because of it. For how haughty and self righteous the Elves are about their superiority, they are also wrong.

- The Wood Elves and Dark Elves actually get along alright. They had bad blood in the past, but moved past it. Namely, the High Elves act like the Wood Elves are a faction of High Elves and treat them like wayward children that are still under the Phoenix Kings rule. Malekith treats them like their own people. As such, they also refer to him as the Phoenix King. To be fair, they also call Finubar the Phoenix King because they don't really care either way, but Malekith is stoked regardless. Being Elves that he likes, they are basically the only faction in the world Malekith treats as something resembling equals on the few times they interact. Morathi however hates the Wood Elves because they tried to gently caress with her plans in the past.

- Tyrion and Teclis aren't actually the rulers of Ulthuan. The Phoenix King is Finubar. However during the last invasion of Chaos, both helped stave off the invasion as basically Elf Teenagers, and Finubar took them on as trusted advisers. Right now the High Elves are actually going through an Age of Heroes of a sort, where out of the woodwork valiant sorts with actual names are lining up behind the brothers to help protect/expand the High Elven race.

- On that note, the Phoenix King's wife is actually screwing Tyrion. The Phoenix King knows and is fine with it. It's a political marriage.

- Skaven are the best race.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 30, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I appreciate the flexibility and general bastardry of the ninja rats, but I'd drop them in a heartbeat if there was a Clan Skyre DLC that had sniper teams with magical nuclear bullets and mortar teams with nerve gas rounds.

It was probably a necessity that the Skaven don't get an archer equivalent unit, what with how easily you can pop Clanrats right under archer formations and how poorly the AI handles this. I imagine that the Poison Wind Mortars, if they get added in at all, would be heavily nerfed to make sure you can't just destroy archer formations with one sneak attack covering them.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I appreciate the flexibility and general bastardry of the ninja rats, but I'd drop them in a heartbeat if there was a Clan Skyre DLC that had sniper teams with magical nuclear bullets and mortar teams with nerve gas rounds.

It was probably a necessity that the Skaven don't get an archer equivalent unit, what with how easily you can pop Clanrats right under archer formations and how poorly the AI handles this. I imagine that the Poison Wind Mortars, if they get added in at all, would be heavily nerfed to make sure you can't just destroy archer formations with one sneak attack covering them.

Are you kidding, Skavenslave Slingers murder everything but Elves. I've won entire battles by just goosing up the enemy line with basic Skavenslave infantry, while the Slingers beat the poo poo out of them.

My usual endgame battle reports are something like

Skavenslaves combined 10 kills

Skrolk- 250

Artillery - 150 combined

Plague Censers/Plague Monks - 70 each

Ninja Rats - 40 each

Skavenslave Slingers - 200 each

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Are you kidding, Skavenslave Slingers murder everything but Elves. I've won entire battles by just goosing up the enemy line with basic Skavenslave infantry, while the Slingers beat the poo poo out of them.

Skrolk- 250

Artillery - 150 combined

Ninja Rats - 40 each

Yeah but

guns are cool

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Rookersh posted:

Fun lore facts.

- Malekith, Tyrion, and Teclis are all related. Of course they are, they are Elves.

- Malekith's dad pulling out the Sword of Khaine cursed the whole family. This curse is represented by both madness and fragility. In the case of the twins Tyrion and Teclis, they each inherited one half. Tyrion is loving INSANE. He hides it pretty well, and he's a great swordmaster/strategist, but he's constantly got voices in his head telling him to murder everyone. Teclis got the fragility. To note, Teclis wasn't able to lift his staff for most of his life, and his clothes weigh him down. A stiff breeze could easily knock him over. He got over this when the Loremasters of Hoeth, who also happen to be swole motherfuckers that can deflect arrows with their swords took him in and had him lift to the point he could stand in place and at least lift a staff.

- Mazdamundi is considered an aggressive rear end in a top hat by the other Slann. He's constantly pushing to move things forward, rather then sit and think more about the Old Ones.

- Kroq'gar's Carnosaur is named Grym'loq. Yup.

- Malekith is a monster, but he's also actually the real Phoenix King. All the current Phoenix Kings had to fake the ceremony to get coronated, and the gods have basically wholly abandoned the Elves because of it. For how haughty and self righteous the Elves are about their superiority, they are also wrong.

- The Wood Elves and Dark Elves actually get along alright. They had bad blood in the past, but moved past it. Namely, the High Elves act like the Wood Elves are a faction of High Elves and treat them like wayward children that are still under the Phoenix Kings rule. Malekith treats them like their own people. As such, they also refer to him as the Phoenix King. To be fair, they also call Finubar the Phoenix King because they don't really care either way, but Malekith is stoked regardless. Being Elves that he likes, they are basically the only faction in the world Malekith treats as something resembling equals on the few times they interact. Morathi however hates the Wood Elves because they tried to gently caress with her plans in the past.

- Tyrion and Teclis aren't actually the rulers of Ulthuan. The Phoenix King is Finubar. However during the last invasion of Chaos, both helped stave off the invasion as basically Elf Teenagers, and Finubar took them on as trusted advisers. Right now the High Elves are actually going through an Age of Heroes of a sort, where out of the woodwork valiant sorts with actual names are lining up behind the brothers to help protect/expand the High Elven race.

- On that note, the Phoenix King's wife is actually screwing Tyrion. The Phoenix King knows and is fine with it. It's a political marriage.

- Skaven are the best race.

-First contact between High Elves and Lizardmen actually went pretty well at first. The Skink scouts that found the first Elven expedition led them into a nearby Temple City, the Elves amazed at the grandeur and the riches in arcane knowledge the two civilisations could share. The Skinks took them to the head Slaan in the city, who unfortunately hadn't quite woken up yet, and only started to stir after a few hours of getting prodded by his attendants. He groggily half opened one eye, glanced at the Elves and slurred something to the effect of "They shouldn't be here", then trailed off and fell back asleep. The Lizardmen, not getting that he meant escort them back to Ulthwan, promptly turned around and slaughtered the Elves.

-There's only ever been two official Skaven civil wars. Both times it was because Pestiliens was acting themselves and generally being the Worst Rats. Eshin made mad bank by selling assassins to everyone.

-The Slaan have influenced multiple major events without being aware of it. Firstly instigating the fall of the Great Dwarfen Empires by shifting a continent a little and loving up the mountain-holds because of a plaque they found with a world map on it, then shifting it back when they figured out it was meant to be where it was. The second time some routine maintenance of the Geomantic Web caused a massive power drain amongst the ranks of wizards across the world, allowing the armies of Emperor Magnus the Pious to push back the (at that point) largest Chaos invasion of the Old World who'd been enjoying nearly god-like sorcerers carrying most of the weight.

-Thanquol survived into AoS, somehow. He hasn't shown up yet, all we know is that it is the same Thanquol as WFB (though not the same Boneripper, he's went through a few dozen more since then) and the lore team has 'plans' for him.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Any reason to go back and get the previous Warhammer game now that this is out?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

LLSix posted:

The Mortal Empires campaign.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Are any of the upgrades to the Black Arks bombardment abilities particularly good?

I've tried upgrading the Rain of Souls (the one with the large area and several projectiles) and found it to be a bit of a mixed bag. The main downside of the upgrades is that they also increase the cooldown, including the one before you can use them first. At the highest level you can probably only use them once per battle, if that. That said, the damage does increase massively. One time the stars aligned and I was able to drop it on a tight cluster of three swordmasters, and it all but wiped them out from full health in one go. It's just a bit difficult to engineer a situation where half the effect isn't hitting either empty dirt or your own people.

If I were to do it over again, I'd probably pick the middle one (name is about a cauldron?) that has just a single projectile with a medium area of effect. That one is way easier to place, and with some damage buffs it might well be useful to decimate a particular elite unit of your choice.

The one that has no AoE at all doesn't seem to be worth upgrading ever. Like the description suggests, it's mostly good for sniping artillery pieces. One shot of the unupgraded version seems already enough to wreck most of them with a single hit (at least Bolt Throwers), so you really want to keep the shorter cooldown on that to kill them more quickly.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

LLSix posted:

What kind of question is this? They're different games.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It feels like, as Mazdamundi, you should try and make contact with High Elves/Southlands Lizards as early as you can get away with. Early quests and missions will keep you afloat in income for a while, but Mazda's area has so many trade goods that you can't use with all the belligerent dickheads around you.

I am so poor :negative:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

LLSix posted:

ATM it has a campaign with much more content, and more polished too.

The name "Warhammer 2" is really misleading imo. It's much like Napleon, Attila, and Fall of Samurai. It's a fake sequel. Really it's an expansion in every sense that an old school gamer would understand the term, albeit it's a big expansion.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

LLSix posted:

If you're interested in any of the factions from the previous game and/or you want to play the combined campaign in (supposedly) a couple of weeks

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rookersh posted:

Skrolk- 250

Artillery - 150 combined

Ninja Rats - 40 each

They even murder elven archers without shields, why are skavenslave slingers so good?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Chomp8645 posted:

The name "Warhammer 2" is really misleading imo. It's much like Napleon, Attila, and Fall of Samurai. It's a fake sequel. Really it's an expansion in every sense that an old school gamer would understand the term, albeit it's a big expansion.

Hmmm, yes, I remember all of those classic expansion packs with as much as/more completely new content as the original game, such as:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Chomp8645 posted:

ATM it has a campaign with much more content, and more polished too.

It's more of a sequel then most Total War games to another are. Lots of new mechanics a big new and massive brand new map. 4 new very different factions.