Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LastInLine posted:

No one puts anything that needs to be used that high in the frequency range because the tighter the wavelength, the less the wave can penetrate solid objects. That's why Verizon and AT&T paid through the nose for 700MHz and why the 600MHz band is so huge for T-Mobile. T-Mo's first 3G spectrum was on AWS, 710 to 1755MHz for uplink, and from 2110 to 2155MHz for downlink, and was vastly inferior to ATT/VZ because of those high-end spectrum bands. T-Mobile's other band is 1900MHz which is the PCS band. They almost have total coverage in 600MHz and what's not will almost certainly be transitioned to Sprint's 800MHz band which also covers everything else. Sprint also has substantial PCS holdings so it's also a viable option, though it makes sense to use that band to supplement T-Mo's PCS band while the 600MHz buildout is in motion then they can dump CDMA off 800MHz and use that for additional coverage on 5G.

tl;dr: Sprint's 2.5GHz band is now and always was useless and they'll almost certainly sell that off to recoup merging costs. It's the main reason Sprint is in the position they're in now, which is completely noncompetitive and it's an albatross of a network. It's less than valuable, it's a liability.

Edit: I should add that 600MHz is the only band that matters. T-Mobile getting that (thank you, Tom Wheeler!) means they'll not only have a nationwide network, but 600MHz means that the towers can be farther apart. Why do you think Verizon has such great coverage? It's not because they love plopping towers down in Wyoming and Montana, it's because 700MHz travels farther, better, than lovely rear end AWS/PCS. which are almost 2GHz. One can't overstate how great of a position T-Mobile is in because of that auction. They'll still be subservient to AT&T and Verizon because they don't own the backhaul, but it will ensure that for a generation at least they'll have the best network in America.

I'm gonna disagree with you there. Yes, the 600-700 MHz spectrum is vitally important for coverage and building penetration and those are the two factors consumers care about most. But, the 2.5-2.6 GHz stuff is useful for covering outdoor locations like parks and stadiums and for coming out on top in speed tests. And if you can spread load across frequencies that's also valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

I'm gonna disagree with you there. Yes, the 600-700 MHz spectrum is vitally important for coverage and building penetration and those are the two factors consumers care about most. But, the 2.5-2.6 GHz stuff is useful for covering outdoor locations like parks and stadiums and for coming out on top in speed tests. And if you can spread load across frequencies that's also valuable.

But how many upper band frequencies does this company need? Obviously in the short term, they'll be maintaining a hodgepodge of devices with CDMA and GSM and HSPA and LTE and now whatever 5G is going to be, but there's no sensible long term strategy in keeping six networks running concurrently (unless you're Sprint :v: ).

They're going to consolidate on 600 and 800 and use AWS or maybe PCS as a faillback. I'm not sure if combined a Sprint/T-Mo entity controls a wide enough swath of PCS to be worthwhile (AT&T has 2G deployed on PCS) but AWS would be more readily refarmed so I'm guessing they'll go that route since they'd have to keep Sprint's legacy PCS going for a bit.

T-Mobile also has some C-Block 700 that they've generally used to trade for Verizon AWS in some markets that they'll probably also unload (now that there's little benefit to Verizon to hold it since they only bought it to lock out T-Mobile in the first place). 2.5GHz just doesn't matter that much when every other spectrum they own is better and better deployed. They're going to unload some spectrum no matter what they do simply to recoup costs and a complete band is worth more to a potential buyer than their incomplete AWS/PCS networks. No one's going to deploy a cell network on that band anyway just because it's useless without a lower band to actually grab a signal so it's appealing to other industries outside of wireless carriers.

As for the speed tests, it's not faster because of the frequency, it's faster because it's more recently deployed and therefore newer. It's the same reason T-Mobile's 3G HSPA+ was so much faster than AT&T's HSPA, the equipment was a generation newer on the towers, of course it's twice as fast. Verizon and AT&T's 5G networks will be faster than T-Mobile's too, since it will also benefit from newer equipment at a cost of lagging behind T-Mobile by a year or two.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I don't disagree with the importance of 600Mhz for broad coverage. Plus I think you are discounting the fact that upper band frequencies have more capacity by default. Wide coverage is worthless if you can't support very many simultaneous users.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LastInLine posted:

As for the speed tests, it's not faster because of the frequency, it's faster because it's more recently deployed and therefore newer. It's the same reason T-Mobile's 3G HSPA+ was so much faster than AT&T's HSPA, the equipment was a generation newer on the towers, of course it's twice as fast. Verizon and AT&T's 5G networks will be faster than T-Mobile's too, since it will also benefit from newer equipment at a cost of lagging behind T-Mobile by a year or two.
Those are also factors, but it is faster because of the frequency. Higher-frequency transmissions have more bandwidth than lower-frequency transmissions.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=630759

There's much more bandwidth available at those frequencies, which means better scores on speed tests (all other things being equal).

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
Question for you guys about phones that are specific to a prepaid carrier.

To give backstory: I am trying to test a cross platform mobile app I made on iOS and since i'm on windows I can't use an iOS simulator. I bought a cheap boost mobile iphone 5s from best buy link.

When I started it up for the first time, it says that I need to insert a sim card. I did some googling, and apparently not all boost mobile phones come with sim cards. Apparently you can contact them and they will send you one, but I was hoping to do my testing sooner rather than later. The best buy I went to was kind of far away, so I can't just go back there. I was wondering if I can only put in a boost mobile sim card in this thing. In random stores within walking distance, there are sim cards for other brands with their prepaid cards, and I was hoping I could just pick some other companies sim card and prepaid card and use that.

I am not using this iphone on a regular basis, and the phone wont turn on unless I have a sim card in it. I just need something to let me install my app on it so I can test it. I do not care about which service I get, and will buy the cheapest sim card/ prepaidminute option available because I wont be using this to actually make calls.

I'd greatly appreciate If anyone can help clear this up for me.

UtahIsNotAState fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 24, 2017

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sprint says my Verizon iPhone SE not eligible for promotion. loving morons can't get anything right.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

whatever7 posted:

Sprint says my Verizon iPhone SE not eligible for promotion. loving morons can't get anything right.
Was it ever used on a Sprint MVNO? That would mean it's in their system and flagged as MVNO only.

If not, it may just be not in the system.The SlickDeals peeps are saying that to fix this you have to call them and ask them to open a "ClickIT ticket" to add it to the system, apparently this is a quite common problem.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rastor posted:

Was it ever used on a Sprint MVNO? That would mean it's in their system and flagged as MVNO only.

If not, it may just be not in the system.The SlickDeals peeps are saying that to fix this you have to call them and ask them to open a "ClickIT ticket" to add it to the system, apparently this is a quite common problem.

It was used on a dead Sprint MVNO Ringplue half year ago. Can't Sprint tell they killed Ringplus themselves and should release all MEID? That's some bullshit.

It's ok, it's barely cheaper than Mintsim's promotion anyway. I don't know what I can do with the unlimited data with a tiny phone like iPhone SE. Besides steaming poo poo live nonstop I can't think off anything else I can do with it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

whatever7 posted:

It was used on a dead Sprint MVNO Ringplue half year ago. Can't Sprint tell they killed Ringplus themselves and should release all MEID? That's some bullshit.

It's ok, it's barely cheaper than Mintsim's promotion anyway. I don't know what I can do with the unlimited data with a tiny phone like iPhone SE. Besides steaming poo poo live nonstop I can't think off anything else I can do with it.

Maybe use the 10GB / month of hotspot?

There's a Ting customer support guy goes by the name of ReallyUnlimited or something like that on SlickDeals / Reddit who was clearing people's old RingPlus status but I'm sure his Reddit DM box is overloaded with requests by now.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Besides the most recent April posts, has anyone else tried out Mint Sim lately? I'm thinking about ordering one of 3 month kits to test drive before taking the 1 year plunge on both our phones.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I just renewed Mint for a year, I like it a lot.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Bad life decision: not finishing the Republic Wireless > Tmobile > Cricket dance and staying on Tmobile for a year. Good life decision (probably): finally switching to Cricket.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Kraps posted:

Bad life decision: not finishing the Republic Wireless > Tmobile > Cricket dance and staying on Tmobile for a year. Good life decision (probably): finally switching to Cricket.
Depends on the towers near your work and home. If home and work covered well by TMO then Mint, if ATT covers both then Cricket, if not then VZ.

Hillariously ATT covers my work but not the inside of my house so for all calls I now have to go outside (Cricket). Home was fine with TMO but didn't cover work, at home I have WIFI for everything except voice calls.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Stick100 posted:

Depends on the towers near your work and home. If home and work covered well by TMO then Mint, if ATT covers both then Cricket, if not then VZ.

Hillariously ATT covers my work but not the inside of my house so for all calls I now have to go outside (Cricket). Home was fine with TMO but didn't cover work, at home I have WIFI for everything except voice calls.

ATT supports WiFi calling depending on the phone you have.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

nimper posted:

Does it offer it on the mvno tho?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

nimper posted:

Not on Cricket last I checked (coming soon...). Did on TMO prepaid which was nice but reliable data at work is far more important than the 30 minutes I spend on my front porch a month.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Stick100 posted:

Tmobile didn't have signal at work or in upstate NY, Cricket does, I'm happy.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
This is an insanely stupid question.

I've been on a T-Mobile legacy pay-as-you-go plan forever. I am finally taking the plunge into Actual Phone Land with a Moto G5+ and have a bring-your-own Cricket SIM card here. The $35-after-autopay plan will do nicely for that, and I believe that I can port my old phone number over to Cricket as part of the process.

That leaves me with an old Galaxy Nexus with a T-Mobile SIM card in it and $30-ish on my T-Mobile account. If I take it to T-Mobile, can they do anything with it that'd restart it with a different phone number as an oh-poo poo glovebox phone, or is it just toast?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

You would need a new SIM to get a new number, they should be able to keep the balance on the account but maybe not

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You lost your balance when you port out the number, and acct closed instantly for most prepaid plans.

You can save the balance by going google voice but its a different lifestyle, just saying.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
All right, then. If I transfer the number to the new phone, can I still use the old phone's apps and such over wifi (which is 95% of what I use it for anyway) or does it instantly go stone dead?

Or is there a cleaner way to turn it into a Ghetto Android iPod Touch?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If it's connected to wifi apps and such will still work without a sim, yes. Even if it isn't they will work, assuming they don't need internet connectivity

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Stick100 posted:

Not on Cricket last I checked (coming soon...). Did on TMO prepaid which was nice but reliable data at work is far more important than the 30 minutes I spend on my front porch a month.

Ya that's a deal breaker. I wonder why they lag on rolling it to cricket?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is there a consensus best decent/cheap prepaid option for visitors to the US? Last time I used Cricket but there was a sizable activation fee that I'd like to avoid.

I'm living in Europe but am American and still have American credit cards (and an American Google Voice number) in case that matters, will be visiting for just over three weeks.

edit: I have an international Pixel so I guess I should stick with something that uses AT&T's or T-Mobile's networks?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Cicero posted:

Is there a consensus best decent/cheap prepaid option for visitors to the US? Last time I used Cricket but there was a sizable activation fee that I'd like to avoid.

I'm living in Europe but am American and still have American credit cards (and an American Google Voice number) in case that matters, will be visiting for just over three weeks.

edit: I have an international Pixel so I guess I should stick with something that uses AT&T's or T-Mobile's networks?

https://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-international-tourist-plan

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How many days are you staying?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I saw this but on the prepaid data wiki site it said you can't add to the plan or something so then if I ran out of data wouldn't I be stuck?

quote:

For $30, T-Mobile offers a new International Tourist Plan. This plan is aimed towards short term visitors to the US and only lasts for 3 weeks, is not renewable or expandable. It includes 1,000 domestic minutes, unlimited domestic and global texting to 140 countries, and 2 GB of 4G/LTE data along with a free SIM card. Beyond the given volume speed will be throttled to 2G speed (about 150 kbps). You can't add extra packages. Visitors to the United States wishing to activate this plan can just walk into any T-Mobile store and ask for it.
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/T-Mobile_USA

whatever7 posted:

How many days are you staying?
I arrive in the evening of Aug 12 and fly out the evening of Sept 5 so 24 days.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you can buy the cricket sim kit online and have it shipped to the place you are visiting, they waive the 25 dollar activation fee (it's in store only)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Cicero posted:

I saw this but on the prepaid data wiki site it said you can't add to the plan or something so then if I ran out of data wouldn't I be stuck?

Ah yeah, that's unfortunate. Sorry!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cicero posted:

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/T-Mobile_USA

I arrive in the evening of Aug 12 and fly out the evening of Sept 5 so 24 days.

Get a prepaid sim from a GSM carrier.

The problem with things like Cricket and TMobile prepaid is that you have to go to Best Buy or Walmart to get them, which means you can not use it the first day.

I know some country you can buy US sim ahead of time. When I was in China, their version of ebay (taobao) was selling Black Wireless sim locally.

If you plan to buy the sim after you arrive in the US, go to google map and search for indirect (mom and pop) wireless stores near you hotel.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Blue Train posted:

If you can buy the cricket sim kit online and have it shipped to the place you are visiting, they waive the 25 dollar activation fee (it's in store only)
Oh cool, sounds like I'll use that, then.

Thanks everyone!

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Cicero posted:

Oh cool, sounds like I'll use that, then.

Thanks everyone!

Best Buy has 20% off refills when you buy a $0.99 sim, with free shipping. Sounds like that might be perfect for you.

https://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/304304

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

whatever7 posted:

This just means the MEID is in their prepaid database instead of their post-paid database. Same issue anyone who used Project Fi has, including me. I'm working on getting them to get my poo poo in the proper database so I can get in on this.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I've been using simple mobile for about a week now. They are a tmo mvno, and currently offering an unlimited everything plan for 45$/mo until September 8. They are speed limited to 20 down/up, and the free music streaming tmo offers doesn't apply to their service. Video streaming is limited to DVD quality (presumably 480). Assuming you are covered by tmo (check; just a couple of years ago I could only get 3g and now am covered by lte) it's an extremely good deal imo

E: they are owned by telemovil so assume customer service is bad, I did activation and setup through their website with no issues tho. Mobile hotspot works but is not allowed by their tos. That being said, I have used it anyway and they haven't done anything

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

xfinitymobile has the LG x-charge for a buck right now. Check it out if you were at all interested in their service, it's BYOD in all but name.

*prepares to be yelled at*

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got the Red Pocket $60 for 1 year 100min/100txt/500MB plan from ebay. That works out to 5 bux a month. I believe you can pick all 4 carriers. The kit comes all sim cards for Vzn/ATT/TMo and you pick one to activate. I believe for TMo and Sprint sims you can still get 2G speed after 500MB is used up but I haven't tested it.

It took me 2 emails to Red Pocket to get the plan sorted out. So far this is probably the best "keep a phalet in your car as the dedicated google map screen" plan. I would like to pay less but I haven't found it yet.

Also I have been looking for bezel less giant as phalet on gearbest, haven't found anything I like under $100 yet.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I got one of the flashed Mifis off ebay with unlimited Verizon 3G for $5 a month. 3G is slower than I remembered but it still has worked great for me so far. I leave it in the car for places that Sprint shits the bed.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Sprint service in my area has deteriorated to the point where I see "unable to activate cellular data network" errors at least once a day on my iPhone. T-Mobile has the best coverage in my small town, but I know they're mediocre in the surrounding region.

I want a plan that'll keep me primarily on T-Mo, but allow my phone to roam onto another network (say, AT&T) if there's no T-Mo signal. Do the T-Mobile plans already do this? Does Straight Talk? Does anyone? I really like how my Sprint phone can roam onto Verizon when necessary.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Well, T-Mobile postpaid will roam onto AT&T, and I think they are working on a deal with US Cellular too. But then that's not prepaid.

Google Fi will automatically switch between T-Mobile and Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Rastor posted:

Well, T-Mobile postpaid will roam onto AT&T, and I think they are working on a deal with US Cellular too. But then that's not prepaid.

Google Fi will automatically switch between T-Mobile and Sprint.

Even T-Mobile postpaid data roaming on AT&T is very limited, IIRC only 200 MB per billing cycle with a hard cutoff if you go over. Also, Fi added US Cellular in addition to T-Mobile and Sprint.