Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Policenaut posted:

The West gets toilet paper, Japan gets (essentially) STR vs DEX

I'm pretty sure that's fake. It's not on the japanese Splatoon twitter account, and the only source is a guy who claimed he set his switch ahead a day and it popped up. Plus, he backs it up by posting a blurry cell phone video of it on his TV, which is basically the number 1 technique for trying to pass off a fake video as gameplay footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

KingSlime posted:

you miss that? it felt like more bullshit peripheral gimmick to me

but also I bought an ereader like a big dumb idiot so I'm extra cynical about useless 50 dollar accessories only usable in 2-3 titles that the gaming industry seems to love so much, and from what i recall that gba to gcn cable wasn't too expensive

Of course it was a bullshit gimmick, but I liked it anyways.

Little idiot version of me thought it was cool that I could connect my handheld videogame to the videogame console and now im a grown up idiot and i want more of it and less amiibo

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Nintendo it's time to re release four swords adventure. It'll only take 5 switches to work

Edit: all the weird GameCube gimmicks were awesome

Spellman
May 31, 2011

KingSlime posted:

but also I bought an ereader like a big dumb idiot so I'm extra cynical about useless 50 dollar accessories only usable in 2-3 titles that the gaming industry seems to love so much, and from what i recall that gba to gcn cable wasn't too expensive

They've never fully embraced the possibility of having your portable handheld interact with your home console since they went wireless, which is ironic because it would be so much easier now, except they don't have to sell you a lovely cable anymore so it never happens

But the games that have tried were novel at the time; who knows if the concepts they used would fly today. I'd be totally down for a new Four Swords or traditional Crystal Chronicles game, but what else could you do with it?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Spellman posted:

I'd be totally down for a new Four Swords or traditional Crystal Chronicles game, but what else could you do with it?

:pray: let's start with those and see how it goes

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Andrast posted:

It's Picross.

Golf story has a separate thread.

I got it last night and put like 4 hours in. I love it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

What do y'all do for physical vs digital? Obviously some are digital only and I'm debating starting to just do everything that way since it's easier than carrying carts around, despite not really "owning" the games in the purest sense of the word.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

No I mean that outside of splatoon now we see how limited the social elements are and how other systems provide easy access to playing with friends.

As someone who despises other people on the internet, having no chance of hearing their stupid voices or having to interact with them outside of active gameplay is a feature not a bug imo

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

triple sulk posted:

What do y'all do for physical vs digital? Obviously some are digital only and I'm debating starting to just do everything that way since it's easier than carrying carts around, despite not really "owning" the games in the purest sense of the word.

Physical for long term single player games (i.e. Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, BotW) and digital for multiplayer/any kind of spontaneous impulse play (Splatoon 2, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Bomberman R).

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
it really depends on the game and doesn't always follow a consistent logic, at least in my case

at the very least I try to buy physical for full-priced titles that I don't see myself replaying a lot (or at all), and yes this includes the Big Ones like zelda and mario. Figure it gives me the option to hold onto them or sell them as needed

little indie titles that may also have physical i'm usually just impulsive as all hell and get them straight from the e-shop, having a massive catalogue of cool and good games almost makes up for the lack of ownership/ability to re-sell

almost

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I get digital if I'm sure I'll never trade it in(Mario Odyssey, Mario kart 8 dx,) physical if I think I'll exchange it when done (Mario + Rabids, ARMS)

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Digital for multiplayer physical for single player

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Physical for things like sports games where I will likely trade it in next year

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I like getting physical if possible unless it's a disc game

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Snake Maze posted:

I'm pretty sure that's fake. It's not on the japanese Splatoon twitter account, and the only source is a guy who claimed he set his switch ahead a day and it popped up. Plus, he backs it up by posting a blurry cell phone video of it on his TV, which is basically the number 1 technique for trying to pass off a fake video as gameplay footage.

Why would somebody fake something that mundane

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dizz posted:

I like getting physical if possible unless it's a disc game

Same. Discs suck. I went almost all digital on Wii U but for Switch I'm going mostly physical. The boxes and little carts are appealing to me for some reason.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have they ever done Splatfests for vague concepts like that? Aren't they usually more concrete things?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Why would somebody fake something that mundane

Boredom

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Same. Discs suck. I went almost all digital on Wii U but for Switch I'm going mostly physical. The boxes and little carts are appealing to me for some reason.

Little carts also help with physical due to being able to be put anywhere, but i will say it would also make it super easy to lose it outside.

Heck, if the carts were N64 sized I'd probably still take them.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Are these little carts still the same price as what you find on a CD for the other platforms?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

triple sulk posted:

Policenaut posted:

Physical for long term single player games (i.e. Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, BotW) and digital for multiplayer/any kind of spontaneous impulse play (Splatoon 2, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Bomberman R).

This.

Though, the 20% off at Best Buy and Amazon kinda makes me lean towards physical even when I would prefer digital for a certain game that I will play spontaneously when I am currently in the middle of a big single player game. Like MK8D, a perfect game to have downloaded since it is a game I will fire up periodically. However, paying an extra 20% just pisses me off so I went physical anyway. They really need to catch up on pricing structures to compete with Amazon and Best Buy.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Carts are great for anything over 40. I want to straight trade ARMs for Pokken and I bet I'll be able to find someone fast. Stores don't buy used for good prices right now but the trade market is probably strong

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fargin Icehole posted:

Are these little carts still the same price as what you find on a CD for the other platforms?

Some are more if they are big files from small publishers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Digital would be a no brainer if nintendo didnt collect like 6 dollars in tax on me and physical was all 20% off preorders

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

triple sulk posted:

I would prefer to go all digital. I own all of one physical release for the Vita, and most of my 3DS physical games are from the early days when the download speeds of the 3DS store were real real bad.

But the file sizes of some of these Switch games are sheer nonsense given the onboard storage and the fact that microSD is our only alternative. Anything over 6 or 7 gigs is probably going to be a physical release for now until microSD cards are both bigger and cheaper.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Mr. Locke posted:

I would prefer to go all digital. I own all of one physical release for the Vita, and most of my 3DS physical games are from the early days when the download speeds of the 3DS store were real real bad.

But the file sizes of some of these Switch games are sheer nonsense given the onboard storage and the fact that microSD is our only alternative. Anything over 6 or 7 gigs is probably going to be a physical release for now until microSD cards are both bigger and cheaper.

If companies get all cheap, you still may need to download more than 6-7 gigs even with a physical game if they don't want to pony up for bigger cards. Like with 2K18, they used a cheaper 8GB card instead of 16GB so you had to download nearly another 8gb on your Switch on top of the card itself. Asinine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What? You can get 256gb Microsd cards and 128gb cards are routinely very reasonably priced

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Digital would be a no brainer if nintendo didnt collect like 6 dollars in tax on me and physical was all 20% off preorders

I set my eShop account to a tax-free region to avoid paying tax, yeah it's technically fraud but I don't really care. I'll likely only buy a couple physical releases, Mario and Zelda only most likely. Digital is just simply more convenient for me and offers nearly instant gratification.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What? You can get 256gb Microsd cards and 128gb cards are routinely very reasonably priced

The number of 30-40 dollar accessories people have bought for their switches is not small

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

200 gb SD card, case, spare dock/plug, grips for the joy cons, that nes30 arcade stick so my gf could play overcooked lol.

Imma be getting my money outta this thing thank gently caress

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
How does that nes30 stick feel?

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
100% digital baby because after decades of purchasing records, cassettes, CDs, and like 5 different types of cartridges, I am loving tired of collecting poo poo.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Physical only if at all possible; I like having them on my shelf and the few moments of switching the cart/cd out isn't a dealbreaker with me at all.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Geomancing posted:

Physical only if at all possible; I like having them on my shelf and the few moments of switching the cart/cd out isn't a dealbreaker with me at all.

:same:

That and games are pretty much the only collectible I have, aside from books. All my music and movies and poo poo are either digital or streaming nowadays.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Is the switch stupid like the 3DS though? Where if you lose your 3ds you have to go through a ton of hoops to transfer your licenses to a new one? Or is it like every other system, where you can do all of it online?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

nerdz posted:

Is the switch stupid like the 3DS though? Where if you lose your 3ds you have to go through a ton of hoops to transfer your licenses to a new one? Or is it like every other system, where you can do all of it online?

It's pretty much the same as on 3DS. You still have to call Nintendo to restore your poo poo.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's pretty much the same as on 3DS. You still have to call Nintendo to restore your poo poo.

Geez, will they ever learn? I actually lost a 3ds and it's such a pain to restore the games to the new one that I didn't even bother.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

nerdz posted:

Yeah this is the number one reason to buy physical imo. Also it's usually cheaper with bb/Amazon preorders or buying used.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yes and no. There's no system transfer, you just have to log in. But you can only log into one console. So if you lose it you will have to call Nintendo to log you out of the missing switch. Then you can tie your account to any Switch. It's a much less complicated process, they don't need a serial number or anything, you don't need to have the new one already, and there should be no waiting time or ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

They also claim (at least, they did when I lost my Switch) that it is a one-time thing that they'll restore your account, though I do believe if you were to genuinely lose your hardware again, that they'd help you

It's definitely a restrictive system though

• Locked thread