Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Manky posted:

How does that nes30 stick feel?

She said it's not a stand-up arcade stick but for $80 it's as good as it needs to be. Everything responds as it should and battery last a good long time. Just takes a little getting used to the idiosyncrasies of pairing and connecting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

nerdz posted:

Is the switch stupid like the 3DS though? Where if you lose your 3ds you have to go through a ton of hoops to transfer your licenses to a new one? Or is it like every other system, where you can do all of it online?

Didn't figure I'd get so many responses on that. This is something I saw was a thing and while it sounds less annoying based on the prior posts it's definitely annoying.

The Switch itself is an outlier because of its hybrid design, so I don't know if it's a thing you'd likely still be using in ten years (and if you did, it'd probably have to stay docked unless you replaced the battery), but with the Wii Shop eventually shutting down it makes me think about long term ownership, even if I didn't still own the system ten years down the line. It'd be nice if there was some way to have a hybrid system to have both the physical and digital versions without needing to buy both separately.

I'm glad I bought one any way because BotW has been fun.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

C'mon y'all, physical for huge games like BotW and digital for everything else. Who's got the time to switch out carts?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yeah i know some of you dont mind swapping but uh having instant access to any game i feel like playing on a portable is a huuuuuge quality of life

course I'm a cheeky bastard who has loved flashcarts for over a decade, this is what I've been used to for years so physical seems a bit asinine at times

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

At this point I'm 100% digital with games. It's so convenient and the sales have finally caught up to retail enough for me. Reselling doesn't matter at all so it's an easy choice.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Easily being able to loan games go friends; easily trading games when done or not interested; having something to hold is also nice and also nice to have something to collect (cases on dat shelf); 20% off or more discounts and if you're old like me changing carts is a novelty reminiscent of past years gaming. Loads of benefits beyond saving space on SD cards boys.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The appeal of holding the physical object is the only reason I miss it honestly. That's legit.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Twerkdad posted:

C'mon y'all, physical for huge games like BotW and digital for everything else. Who's got the time to switch out carts?

Physical for first party, single player focused games, and low print run anime crap; digital for everything else. Gotta think about resale value.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Stuck in the lounge for a few hours and Fifa is the saviour of my sanity

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Twerkdad posted:

Ironically, speed tests have shown that the digital download version of BotW has faster loading times than the cart version.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
FINALLY beat that rear end in a top hat's course in the beach resort in Golf Story. That was bullshit.

EDIT: Also, what's up with the putting challenge there? Most of my shots aren't even close to the hole. Do I need to just way up my power? I haven't found a challenge yet I couldn't do without really trying or figuring things out. Weird to have something so stat based.

EDIT EDIT: Wait poo poo, it's a shoulder button thing, isn't it?

Unmature fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 2, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Unmature posted:

FINALLY beat that rear end in a top hat's course in the beach resort in Golf Story. That was bullshit.

EDIT: Also, what's up with the putting challenge there? Most of my shots aren't even close to the hole. Do I need to just way up my power? I haven't found a challenge yet I couldn't do without really trying or figuring things out. Weird to have something so stat based.

EDIT EDIT: Wait poo poo, it's a shoulder button thing, isn't it?
Yep, shoulder button thing. And it's bullshit garbage even with that, if you mean the 3-hole 4-point one. Just nail the first one and pray that you nail the third, that's how I did it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

How are you all leveling up? I usually put two into power then use the leftover 3 to up the stats that went down.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yep, shoulder button thing. And it's bullshit garbage even with that, if you mean the 3-hole 4-point one. Just nail the first one and pray that you nail the third, that's how I did it.

Yeah I'm back at it again. This challenge is just straight up bad.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I prefer physical because I'm about to go sell it for $30, while I only paid $41 for it, which means I'm out $11 to have rented a curious-at-best game for a few months while you digital folk are stuck with it forever!

Sure things, though, I may opt for digital. Like the Animal Crossing game that may come out. Maybe.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Why would somebody fake something that mundane

I see you are new to the internet

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's pretty much the same as on 3DS. You still have to call Nintendo to restore your poo poo.

No you don't.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

raditts posted:

No you don't.

How's it work? That's great news then.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Alan_Shore posted:

How are you all leveling up? I usually put two into power then use the leftover 3 to up the stats that went down.

I alternate all power and Accuracy & Purity, while trying to keep my spin at +100rpm.
To be honest though, I'll probably go back to zeroing out negatives and adding power, with a slight emphasis on spin (+100rpm) for a relatively neutral build.

Almost tempted to start a new game, just add power, and drat the consequences.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

How's it work? That's great news then.

You can have your account on as many switches as you like, but you can only access your library on the one you set your account as "active" on, and you can only set it as "active" on one at a time. Your games aren't tied to hardware at all anymore though, it's all tied to the Nintendo Account, so no more system transfer nonsense.

Of course, they replaced that with all new problems, like not being able to choose what gets installed to internal memory and what installs to your SD card if you have one, and no current functionality to copy from one or the other, so you have no options to back up your saves or transfer save data between consoles.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 2, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i don't know what nintendo did but they finally fixed all that account poo poo. i once lost my account with a few cheap games and like $60 on it because i transferred it to a 3ds but a shoulder button i needed to use was broken, so i exchanged the 3ds but i couldn't transfer my account again and it was the dumbest loving thing. swore off the e-shop forever.

then last month i was loving around on the nintendo website and there was some kind of "account merge" thing and i don't really understand what happened but now my switch account has the stuff my lost 3ds account had, including the money.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zo posted:

i don't know what nintendo did but they finally fixed all that account poo poo. i once lost my account with a few cheap games and like $60 on it because i transferred it to a 3ds but a shoulder button i needed to use was broken, so i exchanged the 3ds but i couldn't transfer my account again and it was the dumbest loving thing. swore off the e-shop forever.

then last month i was loving around on the nintendo website and there was some kind of "account merge" thing and i don't really understand what happened but now my switch account has the stuff my lost 3ds account had, including the money.
Awesome, I didn't know about this. Thanks!

For folks who also didn't know about it: Here are the details

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm 100% digitial, outside of BOTW. I can easily imagine getting Odyssey or Pokemon physical, just to capture a glimpse of the excitement I used to feel as a child, which has escaped me in this grim world.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Snake Maze posted:

I'm pretty sure that's fake. It's not on the japanese Splatoon twitter account, and the only source is a guy who claimed he set his switch ahead a day and it popped up. Plus, he backs it up by posting a blurry cell phone video of it on his TV, which is basically the number 1 technique for trying to pass off a fake video as gameplay footage.

Turned out to be real.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/914780863358951424

The Japanese Twitter confirmed that some users got the news too early due to a bug.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Stardewsoon?!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/914789401783410688?s=02

e:
https://mobile.twitter.com/mollygos/status/914781716279185408

glassyalabolas fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 2, 2017

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

My body is ready

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Also in terms of physical versus digital, my Switch stays in the dock 99% of the time which means going all physical, my games are right there next to it on the shelf. I don't like it in handheld mode; the joycons are too thin and make my hands start cramping after a short period of time, and I never take it from home anyway.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i want that mario so bad....

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Dr. Fetus posted:

Turned out to be real.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/914780863358951424

The Japanese Twitter confirmed that some users got the news too early due to a bug.

Haha, I can't believe the guy saying "Hey I got the new splatfest early! Look, here's a blurry cellphone video as proof!" was actually telling the truth. This is like finding out your friend's uncle really does work at Nintendo.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So... Golf Story:

Four times in a row, my game has frozen at the skeleton challenge . Literally spend my lunch trying to get it to work! Anyone else has had this issue?

I'm just glad it's not happening at the 8th hole of a pro game or whatever.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There is a golf story thread.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Easily being able to loan games go friends

just quoting this to agree that all the 100% digital people are selfish bastards

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I bough game cards for everything that's been released that way so far. The only one I regret is Puyo Puyo Tetris since it was more expensive than the eShop and I never play it in a long enough sitting that switching cards is actually a hassle. BoI might be the only other game I might prefer on the eShop, but I got it on sale anyways.

The three main reasons I buy game cards:
  • Amazon Prime 20% off preorders (or purchasing sale/used if I miss it).
  • Ability to lend/borrow or just use on multiple devices.
  • I like collecting stuff a little.
I'm still bummed that physical games don't come with paper manuals, and that Switch games don't even come with the digital manuals that all 3DS games have. It just seems silly to hold onto Switch game cases that have nothing more than tiny ROM cards in them. I guess some of the art is cool, but it's not really redeeming.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

It's actually quite shocking to me how low effort some carts/packaging are. Zelda and Splatoon 2 have double sided full art for their boxes and full color art for their cartridges. That beats FIFA and others games that have neither. But then basically no title offers a little booklet or anything. I guess I was pleased to see the code for 8bit guns in Mario+Rabbids at the very least but still.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I went physical on Wii U but I switched to digital on Switch and now I'll never look back. On Wii U, I would play one game and when I decided to stop playing it I would just turn it off and be done for the day. On Switch, I can easily play Rabbids for 30 minutes, then switch over to a quick few rounds of Arms for 20 minutes, then switch over and play Splatoon 2 for the rest of my life.

I know switching physical games takes all of 30 seconds and all of 10 feet of walking from my couch, but for whatever dumb psychological reason that was enough of a deterrence on Wii U and having that barrier gone is a complete game changer in how I'm playing console games.

I guess it also probably helps that Switch has a much faster OS and more games out at the same time than Wii U ever did.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It's actually quite shocking to me how low effort some carts/packaging are. Zelda and Splatoon 2 have double sided full art for their boxes and full color art for their cartridges. That beats FIFA and others games that have neither. But then basically no title offers a little booklet or anything. I guess I was pleased to see the code for 8bit guns in Mario+Rabbids at the very least but still.

i miss instruction manuals, i remember pokemon yellow (and presumably red and blue, which i only got second-hand so not sure about) had a cool little thing in the back like a field guide where you could write pokemon you saw, it was neat

or i think they did, that was 20 years ago i won't say i have perfect memory

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I actually wish they provided a manual for some games pretty badly. Sports games for example actually use a lot more controls than Splatoon. I found myself googling FIFA moves right off the bat and just having that in the box would have been great.

It would be cool to have more heavy art and additional lore centric books on games like they did for Fable and others. The kind that cost ~20 or so and ran about 100 pages. For RPGs and fantasy or sci-fi games at least it would be cool.

Imagine a Zelda book about 100-150 pages with some full art, lore and all the recipes and stuff inside done up real nicely. I'd buy it for sure.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 2, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Or like the SNES mini where if you want to view the manual for a game you got to scan a QR code for fucks sake.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I'm going on a long plane flight next week and am looking for a external battery charger than can charge both my Switch and Surface Pro. I found this one: https://www.amazon.com/Lizone-35000mAh-Portable-External-Microsoft/dp/B015VDLWTI/ref=br_lf_m_jh59ukay8pjt6qq_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=wireless

It should be able to charge my Surface but would it work with my Switch as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

[quote="“GreenNight”" post="“476976286”"]
Or like the SNES mini where if you want to view the manual for a game you got to scan a QR code for fucks sake.
[/quote]

Jesus imagine if they put that QR code right under the cartridge slot in the box :yoshi:

I guess they can just add all of them to their mobile application, that would be a nice compromise

• Locked thread