Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Stamp is the same $200 for all NFA stuff except some AOWs.

Ah, well the more you know then.

Still, what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Looking forward to the next week or so of scalding hot takes about whether it was a Lone Wolf And There's Nothing We Can Do (white), a terrorist out to destroy the nation (brown) or No Angel (black).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Looking forward to the next week or so of scalding hot takes about whether it was a Lone Wolf And There's Nothing We Can Do (white), a terrorist out to destroy the nation (brown) or No Angel (black).

Democrat False Flag, don't forget that.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

cowboy elvis posted:

Assuming that this weapon was legally purchased, you need ATF approval to buy something fully automatic like that yea?

I will be very surprised if this guy owned a registered machine gun. The 1934 National Firearms Act regulated machine guns ( by the ATF's and federal government's legal definition, any fully automatic weapon, even if it's a full auto pistol), suppressors, short-barreled rifles, short barrel shotguns, and disguised weapons like a pen gun. Purchasing any full auto weapon requires you paying a $200 tax stamp to the ATF, submitting paperwork to the ATF, submitting fingerprints to the FBI, and undergoing an FBI background check. It takes months for the paperwork to even go through.

Prior to 1986, any fully automatic weapon could be purchased and registered to the ATF machine gun registry. In 1986, the Firearms owners protection act was passed, which closed that registry, essentially capping the total supply of all legally registered and legally transferable machine guns at 1986 levels. Given the laws of supply and demand, machine gun prices skyrocketed. A full auto M16 which might cost the government $1,000, runs for about $10,000 or so on the civilian Market. An M60 goes for around the price of an expensive luxury car. Last I checked, one of the only m249s last sold for around $150,000. The cheapest full auto weapon that you can get is a MAC-10 or Mac-11, for around a few thousand.

Certain FFLs, or federal firearm license holders / gun stores can apply for special permits from the ATF that allow them to purchase machine guns that were made after 1986, or even manufacture them themselves. They usually do this to sell them to police departments because the general public cannot purchase them.

It is more than likely that this guy stole full auto weapons, or converted semi-automatic weapons into full auto weapons. He would have to have a lot of money to have purchased legally full auto weapons. I very much doubt he bought full auto weapons on the black market, considering he was a 64 year old white dude.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

That's a hell of a lot of rounds to let loose in one go, I believe I counted > 40 if my hearing isn't totally broken.

That's what threw me off. Do they make drum magazines for AKs? Seemed like more than a standard 30 round mag.

e: Vegas has like 8 shooting ranges outfitted with fully automatic weapons per square foot, so he probably just stole one.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

psydude posted:

That's what threw me off. Do they make drum magazines for AKs? Seemed like more than a standard 30 round mag.

Yes they make 75 and 100 rounders

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Well that's an interesting thing to wake up to

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

I will be very surprised if this guy owned a registered machine gun. The 1934 National Firearms Act regulated machine guns ( by the ATF's and federal government's legal definition, any fully automatic weapon, even if it's a full auto pistol), suppressors, short-barreled rifles, short barrel shotguns, and disguised weapons like a pen gun. Purchasing any full auto weapon requires you paying a $200 tax stamp to the ATF, submitting paperwork to the ATF, submitting fingerprints to the FBI, and undergoing an FBI background check. It takes months for the paperwork to even go through.

Prior to 1986, any fully automatic weapon could be purchased and registered to the ATF machine gun registry. In 1986, the Firearms owners protection act was passed, which closed that registry, essentially capping the total supply of all legally registered and legally transferable machine guns at 1986 levels. Given the laws of supply and demand, machine gun prices skyrocketed. A full auto M16 which might cost the government $1,000, runs for about $10,000 or so on the civilian Market. An M60 goes for around the price of an expensive luxury car. Last I checked, one of the only m249s last sold for around $150,000. The cheapest full auto weapon that you can get is a MAC-10 or Mac-11, for around a few thousand.

Certain FFLs, or federal firearm license holders / gun stores can apply for special permits from the ATF that allow them to purchase machine guns that were made after 1986, or even manufacture them themselves. They usually do this to sell them to police departments because the general public cannot purchase them.

It is more than likely that this guy stole full auto weapons, or converted semi-automatic weapons into full auto weapons. He would have to have a lot of money to have purchased legally full auto weapons. I very much doubt he bought full auto weapons on the black market, considering he was a 64 year old white dude.

Or he inherited it or was gifted it, or has owned it for a long time.

I figure one of the ranges would've alerted the police that they'd been robbed, unless it was really sneaky under-the-counter and they hadn't had an inventory for it.

Funkysock
Aug 8, 2011

Clapping Larry

psydude posted:

e: Vegas has like 8 shooting ranges outfitted with fully automatic weapons per square foot, so he probably just stole one.

This is what I was thinking, but I guess it's also possible that a 64 year old had a safe queen hanging around for thirty years and just decided he was angry enough at the world to use it.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

That's what I figured. Easier to just steal one, there's enough around

Edit: if you value your sanity don't read the GBS thread

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 2, 2017

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
More than 400 people wounded and in hospital. That's a 1% casualty rate for the people that were out partying at the concert. loving bastard was efficient.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
2%, I'm seeing that there were only like 25k at that concert

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Funkysock posted:

This is what I was thinking, but I guess it's also possible that a 64 year old had a safe queen hanging around for thirty years and just decided he was angry enough at the world to use it.

Most of those ranges check the guns in and out, and have good alarm systems. I'm not buying that unless one of them suddenly comes forward and says so.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm all for hating on pop country, but this guy had a grudge against it.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Also it looks like buddy domed himself when the police were about to enter, found 10 long rifles inside but no details.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommieGIR posted:

Most of those ranges check the guns in and out, and have good alarm systems. I'm not buying that unless one of them suddenly comes forward and says so.

Slightly related are nat guard armoury's actually filled with weapons like the Sierra Army Depot or is that more a myth? I just remember people stealing tanks from them a few times in the 1990s.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Bored As gently caress posted:

Allegedly the guy lived in a wealthy retirement community, so it may very well be possible he straight-up legally owned whatever MG he used.

Jesus, everything about this is completely awful

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Also it looks like buddy domed himself when the police were about to enter, found 10 long rifles inside but no details.

They've just confirmed he capped himself before they got into the room. I wonder what the gently caress his major malfunction was.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Slightly related are nat guard armoury's actually filled with weapons like the Sierra Army Depot or is that more a myth? I just remember people stealing tanks from them a few times in the 1990s.

There was one time where the guy got on base and stole one that I can remember:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Nelson_(San_Diego_Tank_Rampage)

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

To be fair, one of your own soldiers running off with a tank is practically impossible to guard against.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Units have individual arms rooms that are alarmed and locked. Larger installations do have vehicles and weapons in storage at equipment concentration sites. These are usually still on a unit's property book, but are maintained by the installation.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[quote="“CommieGIR”" post="“476973712”"]

[/quote]

That was the one I was thinking of, but I throught there was one or two others. That was the big one though.

[quote="“psydude”" post="“476973783”"]
Units have individual arms rooms that are alarmed and locked. Larger installations do have vehicles and weapons in storage at equipment concentration sites. These are usually still on a unit’s property book, but are maintained by the installation.
[/quote]

Okay then that avenue isn't likely.

Granted I wouldn't be shocked if it was some local PD losing something. IIRC the Philly PD lost an M16 that was never accounted for.

Of course this is just my wildly speculating. As I said it's just weird to see an actual machine gun but the likely weapon in a US based incident.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 2, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

A lot- and I mean a lot of poo poo walked off of military bases back in the 70s and early 80s.

Fully automatic weapons showing up at crime scene is rare, but not unheard of.

The three possibilities I can think of are

1. Stolen (NFA or LE/Mil)
2. Modified
3. Legally owned

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
And like clockwork, cue the gun control Facebook posts.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[quote="“cowboy elvis”" post="“476974184”"]
[/quote]

I've decided that if it's not a post about horror movies for October or fun family stuff, or video games...I'm gonna stick to the forums for a few days.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

cowboy elvis posted:

No way! Now is not the time to take about gun control! Maybe later.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

bird cooch posted:

No way! Now is not the time to take about gun control! Maybe later.

How about never?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

cowboy elvis posted:

I can't imagine why

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

cowboy elvis posted:

It's really sad that this poo poo is predictable. The bodies aren't even cold yet and people are already going to be crowing about their political agenda.

e: Looks like the Something Awful Forums are not above stupidity, either.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

It's really sad that this poo poo is predictable. The bodies aren't even cold yet and people are already going to be crowing about their political agenda.

Hide out in this thread, we're not stupid enough to get in a conversation about it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hexyflexy posted:

Hide out in this thread, we're not stupid enough to get in a conversation about it.

Oh ye of little faith

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh ye of little faith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcZXZ9WzBc

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh ye of little faith

On it!

The rationale for gun control has always been saving lives (and also, obviously, crushing freedom and ushering in a Marxist dictatorship). You can argue about whether gun control would save lives or whether on balance the freedom to own guns is more important or whatever—but hundreds of people shot in a few minutes by one guy is literally the exact nightmare scenario that gun control advocates have always argued they are trying to prevent. This is not some new thing they're spinning to "fit their agenda."

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Naked Bear posted:

It's loving tasteless to have people jump so quickly to that sort of poo poo on either end of the argument while first responders are still trying to save people

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I agree. I should have made that post a little more inclusive. I had one particular side in mind when I wrote that, but you're right.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
guys i need my guns to fight off a tyrannical government

blue lives matter
support are troops

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

guys i need my guns to fight off a tyrannical government

blue lives matter
support are troops

Good guy with a gun would've solve this whole thing!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

At the very least they should probably wait until we find out where the guns came from.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Good guy with a gun would've solve this whole thing!

unironically this is a point people on my facebook are trying to make. like yeah im sure pistols would have worked well against a target atleast 300 vertical feet and who knows how far horizontally away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

unironically this is a point people on my facebook are trying to make. like yeah im sure pistols would have worked well against a target atleast 300 vertical feet and who knows how far horizontally away

400 yards.

• Locked thread