Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

:siren: We are starting a new multiplayer game on October 8th. :siren: This will be a faction game with coop enabled, so this is the perfect opportunity for those of you who are new to multiplayer or to the game itself.

We will be playing the 1984 mod, so this game will be a bit more flexible if you can't attend every week and it will also allow everybody to get straight into the action after the short build up period. There will be no AI countries, everything is player vs player.

Sign up and discord info is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835968&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
After playing a few other single player games, I gotta say that the one thing that annoys the hell out of me in this game is the whole faction AI thing. We've discussed the whole "joining the losing side when it's too late" thing that happens so frequently with Spain, for example. Or the "same ideology but won't join." The one that is annoying me now is that if you are communist and not in a faction, or with your own faction, and you stage a coup in another country, the communist faction in that country will immediately join the comintern.

Is there a mod or file edit out there that keeps most of the vanilla mechanics but tweaks the faction ai?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I booted up a game as the Dutch East Indies over the weekend and have, surprisingly, had a pretty interesting game unfold in non-historical mode.

Started by beelining for Communist support, and took the option to support the party from below (not from within the ruling party). The first year was just waiting for political points to tick up and try to, incredibly slowly, start queuing up construction on an industrial base (DEI is an Integrated Puppet and gets absolutely poo poo on by in-game mechanics). To my surprise, a civil war triggered at the end of 1936, and it rolled pretty well in my favor, granting me control over Java/Sumatra/Borneo. The only island still controlled by the loyal colonial government was Sulawesi, which I amphibiously invaded (using a single destroyer I had built the mighty Indonesian Peoples' Navy to get the necessary naval scouting). The Civil War was over by spring 1937, which resulted in an independent communist Indonesia.

Indonesia is a rough start because of your nonexistent industrial base, but it's really resource-rich. Having so much rubber and oil means you get a decent amount of civilian factories from trade, so that helps to make things a bit better. And that massive population means you won't really have an issue putting bodies into uniform, the problem comes with equipping them. I decided the best use of my aluminum, rubber, and oil reserves would be to build a large air force to defend the islands (navies are too expensive, too slow to build, and require steel which I was lacking).

By 1939, WW2 started pretty much as in real-life. After initial gains, the Allies managed to eventually push back the Germans, capitulating them in late 1940. Italy has been massively overperforming and has nearly knocked France out of the War, so the Axis still stands. In June of 1941, the bored USSR declared war on Poland (who never capitulated), dragging me into war with the Allies. By then built up a solid, decently-equipped 24/24 army to guard the islands. Quite small, but good enough for defense. My 500-ish modern fighters and 200-ish naval bombers are scrambled over the Dutch East Indies and have been damaging a poo poo ton of Commonwealth convoys flowing through this part of the world, and my small army has been working on pushing a combined British/Malaysian/Australian force out of Borneo.

I'm sitting at 40 total factories right now in late 1941, and I'm not really winning or losing the war. I'm making small contributions, but since my focus is so limited to the theater that I'm in, I actually find this really fun. I'm working on invasion plans to take out Malaysia, which should deprive the Allies of a ton of resources and give me a little breathing room. Italy is still kicking and controls most of southern France, and the Soviets are pushing very slowly into Eastern Europe. The Comintern is still not at war with the Axis, and I'm not even sure if that's going to be on the horizon considering Germany's already capitulated.

tl;dr I like playing Santa's little helper in HOI4.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

So Kaiserreich added Chairman Mao's wife as a 22 year old opium selling Triad boss.

Apparently that was too fun though as she's apparently being removed, along with the mad Russian guy who thought he was Genghis Khan :/

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 2, 2017

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Whorelord posted:

So Kaiserreich added Chairman Mao's wife as a 22 year old opium selling Triad boss.

Apparently that was too fun though as she's apparently being removed :/

Too bad the Legation Cities' tree is so loving small and doesn't actually do anything fun.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Whorelord posted:

Apparently that was too fun though as she's apparently being removed, along with the mad Russian guy who thought he was Genghis Khan :/
Wait, they're removing Baron Roman "Spilled So Much Blood That Grass Stopped Growing Outside Ulaanbataar" von Ungern-Sternberg? Good lord, he's been in for over a decade now, hasn't he?

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

Ofaloaf posted:

Wait, they're removing Baron Roman "Spilled So Much Blood That Grass Stopped Growing Outside Ulaanbataar" von Ungern-Sternberg? Good lord, he's been in for over a decade now, hasn't he?

Bad mod now bad, dead mod.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Butch Banner posted:

Bad mod now bad, dead mod.
It's outpacing the Great War mod by 2000 subscriptions at this point, but I'm still bummed.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

I booted up a game as the Dutch East Indies over the weekend and have, surprisingly, had a pretty interesting game unfold in non-historical mode.

Started by beelining for Communist support, and took the option to support the party from below (not from within the ruling party). The first year was just waiting for political points to tick up and try to, incredibly slowly, start queuing up construction on an industrial base (DEI is an Integrated Puppet and gets absolutely poo poo on by in-game mechanics). To my surprise, a civil war triggered at the end of 1936, and it rolled pretty well in my favor, granting me control over Java/Sumatra/Borneo. The only island still controlled by the loyal colonial government was Sulawesi, which I amphibiously invaded (using a single destroyer I had built the mighty Indonesian Peoples' Navy to get the necessary naval scouting). The Civil War was over by spring 1937, which resulted in an independent communist Indonesia.

Indonesia is a rough start because of your nonexistent industrial base, but it's really resource-rich. Having so much rubber and oil means you get a decent amount of civilian factories from trade, so that helps to make things a bit better. And that massive population means you won't really have an issue putting bodies into uniform, the problem comes with equipping them. I decided the best use of my aluminum, rubber, and oil reserves would be to build a large air force to defend the islands (navies are too expensive, too slow to build, and require steel which I was lacking).

By 1939, WW2 started pretty much as in real-life. After initial gains, the Allies managed to eventually push back the Germans, capitulating them in late 1940. Italy has been massively overperforming and has nearly knocked France out of the War, so the Axis still stands. In June of 1941, the bored USSR declared war on Poland (who never capitulated), dragging me into war with the Allies. By then built up a solid, decently-equipped 24/24 army to guard the islands. Quite small, but good enough for defense. My 500-ish modern fighters and 200-ish naval bombers are scrambled over the Dutch East Indies and have been damaging a poo poo ton of Commonwealth convoys flowing through this part of the world, and my small army has been working on pushing a combined British/Malaysian/Australian force out of Borneo.

I'm sitting at 40 total factories right now in late 1941, and I'm not really winning or losing the war. I'm making small contributions, but since my focus is so limited to the theater that I'm in, I actually find this really fun. I'm working on invasion plans to take out Malaysia, which should deprive the Allies of a ton of resources and give me a little breathing room. Italy is still kicking and controls most of southern France, and the Soviets are pushing very slowly into Eastern Europe. The Comintern is still not at war with the Axis, and I'm not even sure if that's going to be on the horizon considering Germany's already capitulated.

tl;dr I like playing Santa's little helper in HOI4.

I was actually wondering if I should start a game as Switzerland, join the Allies and see if I can survive. There should be achievements for that, survive with Switzerland as Allies/Axis/Neutral. Call the neutral one "Das Boot ist voll!"

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
If you can fort up your entire border to level 10 you probably can just sit there and wait for the AI to slaughter itself on your pillboxes.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Work in extreme progress

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm ready for Posadism.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

New Kaiserreich update is sort of a clusterfuck, it's pretty great. Industry is all hosed up for minors, Mittelafrika/Portugal are barely functional, there's no path for Liberia to bring Marcus Garvey to power as was promised.

Whorelord posted:

They're not removing Ungern Khan, True Khan of Asia, they're just making him less 'silly' and more 'realistic'. Because gently caress fun. They already took away Jack Reed's hat.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

If you can fort up your entire border to level 10 you probably can just sit there and wait for the AI to slaughter itself on your pillboxes.

So here's the thing, you have no manpower and harldy any rifles, but you can get mechanized early. And apparently the Italian AI is horribly bad. On the 3rd try I pocketed 2/3rds of the Italian army when I pushed to Genoa. After that they got wiped horribly between my brave Swiss Mountaineers and the French.
On two tries the Germans rolled me, then I remembered Motorized Rocket arty which kinda saved me that front.

All in all really boring but since the AI is so bad you can actually decide the war. You could probably do it the other way by going facist and getting around the Maginot line, but with the base 95%+ support you'll be waiting a long time for that.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Work in extreme progress

It's me, alien clone Trotsky

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

It's me, alien clone Trotsky

Actually, Cyborg Trotsky

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Idk what the heck I'm looking at, though "but then, the aliens attacked is an alt history sub genre of HOI4 mods that I didn't know I wanted until now :allears:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

buglord posted:

Idk what the heck I'm looking at, though "but then, the aliens attacked is an alt history sub genre of HOI4 mods that I didn't know I wanted until now :allears:

it use to be built into hoi2

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I think we can all get behind the abolition of time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Are telepathic dolphin naval units on the cards?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

buglord posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_International_Posadist

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm so loving down for Posadism.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

I think we can all get behind the abolition of time.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Funky Valentine posted:

They're not removing Ungern Khan, True Khan of Asia, they're just making him less 'silly' and more 'realistic'. Because gently caress fun. They already took away Jack Reed's hat.

Making the Khan less silly is tantamount to removing him.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kaiserreich needs more crazy paths to go down, not less. I found Mittelafrika very disappointing considering loving Göring is leading them.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jeoh posted:

Kaiserreich needs more crazy paths to go down, not less. I found Mittelafrika very disappointing considering loving Göring is leading them.

He should pretty much be like King Carol II, a hedonist who ruins everything.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

He should pretty much be like King Carol II, a hedonist who ruins everything.

If you take Goering's National Populist path (which is the Nazi path regardless of what the devs insist), you have a high chance of getting an event that dissolves Mittelafrika and gives you a game over, so I guess "Goering ruins everything" is already in the mod.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Clearly we need a Goon addon to Kaiserreich which adds all the crazy.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Lum_ posted:

Clearly we need a Goon addon to Kaiserreich which adds all the crazy.

It would also be interesting to do something to add more flavor to Apres, which, IMO is much better

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Apres does have the distinct advantage of being actually good, yes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's "After me the deluge" meant to mean though

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

What's "After me the deluge" meant to mean though

The split from the timeline was sometime before the French Revolution IIRC, ergo the (apocryphal) Louise XIV quote

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

What's the quote meant to mean though? "poo poo will get freaky after I die"?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Gort posted:

What's the quote meant to mean though? "poo poo will get freaky after I die"?

Depends on what context you want to take it in but many would consider it a warning from King Louis to mean "kill me and chaos will follow".

Having not played the mod I don't know how it could apply here.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1156789523

This Is What Posadists Actually Believe

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Hit the Subscribe button SO HARD.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Depends on what context you want to take it in but many would consider it a warning from King Louis to mean "kill me and chaos will follow".

It would only really work if the mod was about the fall of the Continental System, but I've never seen France lose in SP without direct player intervention.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It seems bizarre to name your mod something with such an uncertain meaning.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

i suppose all other hoi4 mods will now be removed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I really wouldn't mind a decent 1932 mod, preferably a supported timeline from Paradox. Would have to come with a change to diplomacy, mostly guarantees tough.