Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
I'm enjoying the melee in this game so far (just got MR2) - any suggestions on a good melee frame to buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Wukong if you wanna live forever with only one mod on and also get an expanding rod.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 2, 2017

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

I'm enjoying the melee in this game so far (just got MR2) - any suggestions on a good melee frame to buy?

Volt if you don't mind having to buy a new E key

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

CubsWoo posted:

Nidus and Inaros.

Valkyr is alright but she's easy to get and how you have to mod for her 4th ability limits the damage you'll do when you have your melee weapon only out.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Valkyr is a berserker monster, Loki and Ash are stealthy ninjas, Atlas is one punch man, Excalibur can channel a lightsaber, and any of the tank frames can stand and bang just fine

Also, don't get them with platinum if you can avoid it, just get the blueprints and grind :D

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

CubsWoo posted:

Rhino is best for newbies, Valkyr is also pretty easy to get and then beg for eternal war and don't bother using her 4 except as a tank button. Inaros is fantastic but quite hard to get for a newbie. Loki, Nezha, Octavia and Volt are good too but they all need corrupted vault mods to get enough duration etc. And excalibur is fantastic and works well without any vault mods but then you are mostly using exalted blade and not really using your own melee weapon.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Electrophotonic posted:

Starting to get interested in raids but a guide somewhere listed just a handful of frames as "raid viable". Is this just dumb tryhard pubbie talk or is raid content actually challenging?

Do you ever wish the game was less forgiving and any of the numerous bugs that can break a mission cost you 45 minutes instead of 5?
The grineer raid isn't that bad if you have at least 3-4 folks who know what they're doing and the rest of the group listens to them.

Jordas Verdict, the infested raid is rear end.

edit: Also buy Inaros or Nidus with plat if you're gonna get plat from a coupon or prime bundle. Don't buy any frame with a prime variant in game for plat/from the market. You'll be at least a month or two (depending on how hardcore you play) before you could unlock either in game, and instead could use them to clear the star map and have fun being unkillable. My only regret buying Inaros was that I bought him instead of Nidus since Nidus is a bit more of a time-sink to unlock and you get a free riven for doing his questline if you already own him, Inaros just gives you free access to his (fun) questline, but no special reward.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 2, 2017

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
Also Nidus is bestframe so you should play him as much as possible.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Brainbread posted:

Actually Challenging in the same way pulling out healthy teeth is Actually Challenging. I mean, sure, you can do it. But why.

I really wanna know what it feels like! Just this one time.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Electrophotonic posted:

I really wanna know what it feels like! Just this one time.

Well if you really want to I'm sure you know someone who owns a pair of pliers

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

central dogma posted:

Just finished The Second Dream. Holy poo poo!

:same:

I wish the PoE streams didn't semi-spoil me on the operator reveal because I thought it was really really well done.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Electrophotonic posted:

Starting to get interested in raids but a guide somewhere listed just a handful of frames as "raid viable". Is this just dumb tryhard pubbie talk or is raid content actually challenging?

In a word, sort of. The main issue comes from the fact that RAID CONTENT usually features some switch puzzles which require you to stand in one place. In theory this is supposed to force people to defend the folks on switches while doing puzzles, in practice it means people choose frames which can CC entire rooms and then solve puzzles without enemies breathing down their neck. Obviously some frames do this better than others, so that's why people call them "viable".

Contrary to what these whiners want to say, RAID CONTENT is honestly not very difficult. I have run MR1-2 newbies through regular and nightmare LoR.
Jordas requires some instructions in advance because part 3 is a clusterfuck if you don't know what the gently caress, but once you got the hang of it, it's fine (but crashy).

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Who's using custom binds? I set quick melee to mousewheel down ages ago, now I just fly around levels killing everything while spinning the wheel.

Unrelated to that, I find that if you sprint forward while meleeing you take bigger steps with each swing and can still move around at a near sprinting pace with a high attack speed. You can also sprint backwards while meleeing and you will do forward facing attacks while moving backwards.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TheMostFrench posted:

Who's using custom binds? I set quick melee to mousewheel down ages ago, now I just fly around levels killing everything while spinning the wheel.

Unrelated to that, I find that if you sprint forward while meleeing you take bigger steps with each swing and can still move around at a near sprinting pace with a high attack speed. You can also sprint backwards while meleeing and you will do forward facing attacks while moving backwards.

I think that's somewhat weapon dependent. Heavy blades are kinda trick to move with, but nikanas don't slow you down at all unless you use blind justice.

And yes, mousewheel melee supremacy.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheMostFrench posted:

Heck yeah mousewheel melee for life. Volt induced carpal tunnel was not something I wanted to experience.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Tulip posted:

I think that's somewhat weapon dependent. Heavy blades are kinda trick to move with, but nikanas don't slow you down at all unless you use blind justice.

And yes, mousewheel melee supremacy.

Autohotkey melee supremacy.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

In a word, sort of. The main issue comes from the fact that RAID CONTENT usually features some switch puzzles which require you to stand in one place. In theory this is supposed to force people to defend the folks on switches while doing puzzles, in practice it means people choose frames which can CC entire rooms and then solve puzzles without enemies breathing down their neck. Obviously some frames do this better than others, so that's why people call them "viable".

Contrary to what these whiners want to say, RAID CONTENT is honestly not very difficult. I have run MR1-2 newbies through regular and nightmare LoR.
Jordas requires some instructions in advance because part 3 is a clusterfuck if you don't know what the gently caress, but once you got the hang of it, it's fine (but crashy).

Even doing Catsnake_Horrors amazing LoR raids they never became fun to me.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

SSNeoman posted:

Well yeah, nobody is saying raids are hard here, just tedious and with questionable pay off, both in terms of loot and unique content. It's mostly 4 extra people standing on buttons so you don't auto-fail tacked onto a few other game modes you've already played. It's a shame since there's the spark of cool and interesting stuff there, like I actually think the hack puzzle/button part of LoR was neat, and Jordas's "You're supposed to get halfway through the raid, realize you can't beat it and come back later with items you crafted from drops here," is an interesting spark of a concept, but doesn't quite pay off. It doesn't help this isn't a game with true aggro or taunt and tanking mechanics so really the CCing all the mobs things is the only logical solution in my mind to bits like "You've got dude carrying a bomb on a timer, but if he takes damage he drops it," or "If these players don't stay on their spots the encounter (and maybe even entire section of the raid) is failed.

Like it's definitely worth running through both at least once with goons who know what they're doing and more power to the folks who constantly run them, but it's pretty obvious why they're mostly ignored by the playerbase.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

CubsWoo posted:

Valk IS good, but her 4th ability is bad, despite what it seems. Look into a warcry build of her, and become so fast, you'll not actually be able to tap E fast enough to keep up with her. TBH though, I just use Rhino whenever I want to level Melee any weapons, because Iron Skin is super safe, and Stomp is a great panic button if you're over your head.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Well atleast reddit is as unhappy with Gara as everyone else seems to be. Let's hope that DE changes their mind on this.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Infected posted:

Well atleast reddit is as unhappy with Gara as everyone else seems to be. Let's hope that DE changes their mind on this.

I checked out the reddit thread and I just... why does anyone even care? They released a stupid dance frame that plays lovely music to make you invisible and everyone was fine with it, but people are losing their poo poo over the name on a frame that actually looks fun and cool

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Wait, people are mad at the name? Or ar they mad the quest is delayed and you have to buy her currently?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Mangoose posted:

I checked out the reddit thread and I just... why does anyone even care? They released a stupid dance frame that plays lovely music to make you invisible and everyone was fine with it, but people are losing their poo poo over the name on a frame that actually looks fun and cool

its the name of a naruto character

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Yikes, that name is super not-good. It looks like people are more confused than mad, though.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
It's sorta the japanese word for glass so....

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

wid posted:

Not really... It's more of a "word for a sound". It's a "crashing" sort of sound. Kind of a rocks falling sound. Eg, "The rocks went 'GARA!' as they fell".

It's a bad name in sound and context. If they wanted to go full weeb so badly, Shaan or Gashan would have been better.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

wid posted:

The frame itself isn't japan themed at all though? And even then, Kagami, or just Kaga would be better.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Nalesh posted:

The frame itself isn't japan themed at all though? And even then, Kagami, or just Kaga would be better.

It's a glass samurai.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I think you mean a garasu samurai.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
In a game full of stupid names, it is the stupidest name so far.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

I put 50% of the blame on DE and the remaining 50% of the blame on the Design Council, which apparently decided that the glass-themed warframe's name should be... "literally a Japanese speaker who knows little to no English transliterating the english word 'glass.'"

Like how the gently caress was this the winning choice how the literal gently caress

Were the other names that awful?

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

MJ12 posted:

I put 50% of the blame on DE and the remaining 50% of the blame on the Design Council, which apparently decided that the glass-themed warframe's name should be... "literally a Japanese speaker who knows little to no English transliterating the english word 'glass.'"

Like how the gently caress was this the winning choice how the literal gently caress

Were the other names that awful?

apparently the design council didn't even vote, and "garasu" had all of one upvote, compared to "silica" or "vitra" or "glint" or "hari" (which is the actual japanese word for glass) or "ethera" (since the ether weapons are made of glass) or "kagami" (after some sort of japanese mirror-ghost). DE just ignored all that poo poo and picked the shittiest name put forward

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Shatter would've been good!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

When in doubt, one name stands above the rest on who to blame:

STEEEEEEVE!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

y'all nerds are dumb

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Weremacht posted:

apparently the design council didn't even vote, and "garasu" had all of one upvote, compared to "silica" or "vitra" or "glint" or "hari" (which is the actual japanese word for glass) or "ethera" (since the ether weapons are made of glass) or "kagami" (after some sort of japanese mirror-ghost). DE just ignored all that poo poo and picked the shittiest name put forward

literally like every one of those sounds better except for garasu i guess

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

At least this means its nickname will be gary. you have to consider what everyone will be calling it six months from now when looking at whether the name is good or not.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

please god someone let de know that the name they have now is pretty crap

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Johnny Joestar posted:

please god someone let de know that the name they have now is pretty crap

There's alot of threads up about it, by the looks. Mostly with "Lol, Naruto!?" type responses. However, it does look like there's alot of dis-satisfaction with the name and alot of people also going "Nah man, Silica/alternate, better name is a garbage name. Sand, lol, why not just call her that!?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
The Kagami suggestion probably fits the best. Considering one of her abilities is literally mirrors. And it is cool. Gara (espescailly when it is derived from "Garasu") feels like I'm mocking the whole Japanese (or is it most Asian languages?) pronounce "L" as "R" thing every time I say it.

Gara is definitely up there with really weird and incomprehensible decisions that DE has made.