Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

If you haven't played BotW in Master Mode you haven't played it at all.

Stardew is only £11! That's a great price. Any must know tips for new players?

Is Axiom Verge good? I loved Shadow Complex.

i wasn't as big on axiom verge as general consensus online seems to be. i definitely gave me those metroid moments of "i got this thing now i gotta figure out where to go..." which was nice but the game was also kinda ugly to look at and the game was VERY loud. story is pretty bad and none of the boss fights were particularly fun or memorable.

pick it up on sale if you're interested but otherwise pass imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

dog nougat posted:

GameCube chat earlier/re-watching rogue one also got me jonesing for a new rogue squadron game.
On-foot sections of later games aside, those were some absurdly good games. Has there been anything like them out recently?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, space shooters, either are arcade-y like Rogue Squadron or sim-y like X-Wing, are utterly dead. There have been a couple of multiplayer only games or trading games that have a bit of shooting in like Elite Dangerous, but mission based single player campaign ones, nothing.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 3, 2017

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That's a shame about Axiom. Guess I'll give it a miss!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I actually really enjoyed Axiom Verge. As someone who just loves Metroidvanias in general I understood its failings but didn't think they were as bad as people made them out to be. The game was still entertaining. Definitely better than Samus Returns in terms of how Metroid-ish it is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It wasn't entertaining at all and Samus Returns is a much better Metroid game

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Axiom Verge is like if you took a Metroid game and made all the movement, weapons, enemies, bosses, graphics and music incredibly bad,slow and boring.
Yeah, no, I get that you don't like Axiom Verge. Am I allowed the dissenting opinion here?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Sakurazuka posted:

Ah yes, the actual Metroid game is a much better Metroid game. Thanks for the keen insight.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

But that's how i feel when I play Axiom Verge. It just wants me to play Metroid or Contra or something, the superior game. Axiom Verge itself doesn't add much to stand up on its own, and the hallway exploration kind of sucked when you get upgrades tbh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DaveKap posted:

Yeah, no, I get that you don't like Axiom Verge. Am I allowed the dissenting opinion here?

We're all allowed our opinions here

Cobalt Viper posted:

Ah yes, the actual Metroid game is a much better Metroid game. Thanks for the keen insight.

Did you not read the post I was replying to?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Cobalt Viper posted:

Eh, keep in mind the argument I'm making here that Sakurazuka is replying to. I've said elsewhere I could write a dissertation on how Metroid Returns eschews classic Metroid genre conventions in a way that makes it weak as a Metroid genre entrant, but as just a video game it's pretty good. I just don't think it hits the same beats that Axiom Verge did in regards to how it treats the genre. That said, I can understand why other people don't feel the same way since your opinion could differ vastly based on which Metroid or which Castlevania you started off with. I think my first was actually Metroid 2, which led to me believing Super Metroid is peak Metroidvania, thus how I judge Axiom Verge and Samus Returns the way I do. I 100%'d both games and for me, Samus Returns felt like a much more painful slog than Axiom Verge did.

I think at this point I'd have to make my own Metroidvania game for anyone to care what I thought, though.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dog nougat posted:

GameCube chat earlier/re-watching rogue one also got me jonesing for a new rogue squadron game.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

On-foot sections of later games aside, those were some absurdly good games. Has there been anything like them out recently?

I'm still mad that they actually finished Rouge Squadron 4 for the Wii, and even said it was probably the best game they'd ever made, but nobody was willing to publish it and then the studio went bankrupt.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lair has a lot to answer for

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm still mad that they actually finished Rouge Squadron 4 for the Wii, and even said it was probably the best game they'd ever made, but nobody was willing to publish it and then the studio went bankrupt.
Well gently caress.

Then again RS3 was an awful, awful piece of poo poo* so maybe we dodged a bullet there.

*Except for the awesome co-op mode but that was literally multiplayer versions of the missions from Rouge Leader which is kind of cheating.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Just a quick FYI to everyone, all of the Order of No Quarter and all Shovel Knight characters own and are cool.

Hope that clears it all up.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I traded in my megadrive for rogue squadron back in the day. I regret it now but I remember being blown away that you could change the wings on the x-wing between attack position and cruising. That game loving rules.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Alan_Shore posted:

Stardew is only £11! That's a great price. Any must know tips for new players?

I can offer a tip! You might want to hold onto some of your crops from each season. Not a lot. Say, 5. Especially if you get some with a gold star. Hang onto a few of those. Also stash a few of the wild plants you find lying around. You'll thank me later.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Crops have ratings? Awesome.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Is Doom guy coming to Smash?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Wanna see what happens to Kriby after he copies Doomguy.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Dr Cheeto posted:

Wanna see what happens to Kriby after he copies Doomguy.

cacodemon kirby

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Unsung Story aka Undeveloped Kickstarter game #1,395 has been announced for switch plus ps4, bone

it's got a new developer that has released bad games, so it's probably going to finally get released and be bad

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
dunno about this icon tbf

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Is stardew difficult? Im generally bad at planning/strategy games + I've also got a 10yr old sister who plays the switch with me

Edit: the thought of running a successful fantasy farm is too much pressure for me im gonna walk into the wheat thresher

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 3, 2017

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I've wanted to play axiom verge for a long time. Even stopped myself buying it when it was on sale for PS4 because it would be Perfect on the Switch and nobody is gonna stop me from buying it :tipshat:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Is stardew difficult? Im generally bad at planning/strategy games + I've also got a 10yr old sister who plays the switch with me

Edit: the thought of running a successful fantasy farm is too much pressure for me im gonna walk into the wheat thresher

it's literally chill, the game

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Lube Enthusiast posted:

It's kinda as difficult as you make it. You can have a jillion crops and spend most of your waking hours in-game watering plants, or you can go gently caress around in the woods. It's really up to you.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It has an ending/evaluation sort of thing after a certain amount of time like in Harvest Moon, but the game doesn't actually end. Even if you want to go for the best possible score, you have unlimited time to keep building up your farm and get re-scored. AFIAK there's nothing in the game you can miss by screwing around for too long.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Okay guys, let’s say that a person is horrible and has never played any picross iteration and has never played stardew. Which game should that horrible person play between now and Mario.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sonic Forces

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Re: Axiom Verge, am I crazy for waiting for the cart version? I'm kind of drawn to the indie physical releases.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

EpicNemesis posted:

Okay guys, let’s say that a person is horrible and has never played any picross iteration and has never played stardew. Which game should that horrible person play between now and Mario.

Zelda

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Re: Axiom Verge, am I crazy for waiting for the cart version? I'm kind of drawn to the indie physical releases.

It just means you can sell it if it's not your thing.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

EpicNemesis posted:

Do you prefer chill puzzle games, or chill farming sims?

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Do you prefer chill puzzle games, or chill farming sims?

Haven’t really ever played a farming sim. Closest thing I guess is Animal Crossing which I enjoy but I do also enjoy puzzles.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've never played Stardew but people compare it to Harvest Moon, which I've only really played for a few minutes but found it a bit boring. I have fairly limited time to play games, so timesinks like that or Animal Crossing I try to avoid. Picross, though, is entirely my poo poo, because I can do a few puzzles before going to sleep, or during my commute or whatever. It's not usually something that I'll want to sit down and play for hours. For me, it's great to just gradually work through.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Wow, that is unfortunate. I am not into mods (other than texture packs for Elder Scroll and Fallout games), but that is pretty gross that CF doesn't come out and be more vocal on behalf of their community/customers, and possibly even helps ban people and remove bad reviews. Maybe Stardewhen is now Stardewon't in my book. Will go ahead and just get Golf Story now. I was holding out for Stardew Valley on Thursday and then just get to Golf Story after I finish Odyssey.. not anymore.

If it helps, CF is just the publisher of Stardew (they helped with the port/multiplayer stuff) but they're not the main developer. The main dev is just a single dude.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Nah, it's totally chill. Ever play Animal Crossing? It's a bit like that, only the game doens't follow real time. You make your own goals and go about your day. Or you spend all day fishing. If you don't meet your goals, who cares? Go to sleep, and try again tomorrow.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Re: Axiom Verge

It is very flawed, but the guy who made it absolutely loves Metroid and tried to do the homage justice while making the game his own. It's definitely not on par with the best of Metroid, and I don't think it'll stand the tests of time, but it has some fun stuff going for it that I think is worth exploring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was put off simply by the tone of all the reviews being "axiom verge does what Nintendon't. They didn't have the courage to make a new metroid game. "

• Locked thread