Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Stiev Awt posted:

Blake Kessel is probably the most technically apt of them, so he can run the team site.

Put Amanda Kessel in and she might be their leading scorer.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks are just a Brian Dumolin away from acquiring Pittsburgh's entire return in the Jordan Staal trade.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/imacSportsnet/status/915278340478476288

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Just got notice that the venue formerly known as Sharks Ice (you don't want to know what it's known as presently), the Sharks' practice facility, will be hosting an Olympic exhibition game between Teams USA and Canada shortly before they depart for Korea. Sure, the talent level just isn't the same, but it'll still be fun as poo poo to watch in a venue that small. Curious how much tickets end up being.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I guess Nashville signed Hairy Z for some reason to a 2-way and put him on waivers for MKE. Also Sam Girard is starting the season in the NHL and sounds like Aberg will be one of the late cuts.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

Define fans. Do you mean HFboards morons?

hfboards morons are still like the top 10% of knowledgeable hockey fans. Which is sad because sports fans are dumb

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
looks like Rangers lines are:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Nash-Chytil-Zuccarello
Miller-Hayes-Grabner
Vesey-Desharnais-Carey

IR: Fast
Tryout still: Desjardins

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Smith
Staal-TONY D BABY

ex: Holden-Kampfer

Hank
Pavelec

i really like that forward group. i doubt chytil stays the whole season, but it'll be interesting to see what he has getting carried by our two best forwards. it would be great if we had another solid top 9 center to slot there if chytil doesn't work out--hopefully desharnais can fill that role--and it'd also be good to have a 4th-line C who can win faceoffs. that would be an incredibly deep group if health over four lines.

that defense looks great as long as they're used properly

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Matt Read assigned to the AHL, so Gostisbehere won't be going on IR

That means rookies Patrick, Hagg, Sanheim, Morin and Leier all on opening night roster

Gonna be tough for Hakstol to bench all of them

Hakstol's got a solution for you: double shift Vandevelde and MacDonald, double the experience, double the grit.

Rookies belong in the press box. Can't see the game and learn anything from the bench.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Canucks traded a useless player and a fourth for a slightly less useless player.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

looks like Rangers lines are:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Nash-Chytil-Zuccarello
Miller-Hayes-Grabner
Vesey-Desharnais-Carey

IR: Fast
Tryout still: Desjardins

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Smith
Staal-TONY D BABY

ex: Holden-Kampfer

Hank
Pavelec

i really like that forward group. i doubt chytil stays the whole season, but it'll be interesting to see what he has getting carried by our two best forwards. it would be great if we had another solid top 9 center to slot there if chytil doesn't work out--hopefully desharnais can fill that role--and it'd also be good to have a 4th-line C who can win faceoffs. that would be an incredibly deep group if health over four lines.

that defense looks great as long as they're used properly

My body is ready. They're going to be a fun team this year.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Stiev Awt posted:

Schlemko is on IR, and Arpon Basu reported these lineup in practice.

Pacioretty-Drouin-Gallagher
Hudon-Plekanec-Lehkonen
Galchenyuk-Danault-Shaw
Byron-De La Rose-Hemsky
Mitchell

All he said on the D was Mete with Weber Benn with Streit, so I'm guessing it's going to be

Mete-Weber
Alzner-Petry
Benn-Streit
Davidson-Morrow

Give Mete back to London imo

ahahahaha

Mete is gonna get run ragged because by default he's better than whatever crap defence the Habs have. Bergevin is gonna turn him into Luke Schenn. :/

Absolutely send him back to the O.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

The Canucks traded a useless player and a fourth for a slightly less useless player.

I dunno about that Pouliot is pretty terrible. A decidedly slow puck moving defenceman is not a useful player. Also the Canucks have first waiver priority after Colorado picked up a guy so they could've a) claimed Ville Pokka or b) waited until Pouliot was inevitably waived or c) done nothing and stuck with the replacement level defencemen they already had in Pedan, Biega and Wiercioch. None of those scenarios necessitated sacrificing yet another draft pick, but now once again the Canucks no longer have a full complement of picks despite being a rebuilding team going into one of the deepest drafts of the last decade.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

nothing official for Florida yet but this looks close to what you would expect for the starting night lines:
Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
McGinn-Trocheck-Vrbata
Brickley-McCann-Bjugstad
Haley-MacKenzie-Sceviour
Malgin-Tippett

Tippett will get at least 9 games, I hope not more. this does not look good. poor Trocheck is gonna be doing some heavy lifting as the season goes on. Dadonov on the top unit is cool and interesting and I hope Malgin gets an extended shot in the top 9 preferrably with Trocheck eventually. full season of Huberdeau-Barkov is gonna be cool regardless of Daddy's presence. that's where my hope for the forwards end

Matheson-Ekblad
Yandle-Petrovic
McCoshen?-Pysyk
Weegar

they tried a lot of guys with Yandle to figure out what works there, the guy who was cool and good with him sadly got traded to Arizona. Matheson with Ekblad seems pretty firm, McCoshen looks like he is staying which only makes sense if he is also playing.

not as good or as deep as they were 2 years ago, not as good or as deep as they were when fully healthy last year. I hope Michael Haley is gone asap. go Lu and Reimer :unsmith:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
https://twitter.com/devinnnc/status/915034438131683328

:mad:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The 2009 ring had four loser logos too

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

He cleared waivers about 24 hours ago.

Pedan is fine in a #8 role but shouldn't be anywhere near an NHL lineup on a regular basis. He's an average skater for his size, doesn't really stand out defensively but isn't a wreck or anything. He can play LW if you need him too and he fought a bunch in junior. He's like a child's swiss army knife, one of those ones with a spoon, playdough cutter and a magnifying glass on it.

i think in this extended metaphor, matt hendricks shootout move would be the magnifying glass

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

:thurman:

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
This season's one of the more interesting rookie classes we've had in a long time. Boeser, Keller, Kyle Connor, Hischier, Patrick, among others, all have a convincing case for why they'll win the Calder this year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yaya posted:

This season's one of the more interesting rookie classes we've had in a long time. Boeser, Keller, Kyle Connor, Hischier, Patrick, among others, all have a convincing case for why they'll win the Calder this year.

McAvoy, Strome, DeBrincat and Chabot too, but it'll be Keller

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Jankowski is gonna eat all of those guys' asses

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

College guys never win the Calder.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

McAvoy and Chabot too, but it'll be Keller

There is basically no chance of Chabot winning the Calder, because a) he's not going to play a full season in the NHL and b) he isn't nearly as good as advertised (yet). also c) Ottawa is a garbage heap trash fire

The rookie class this year isn't interesting, it's crappy. Boeser, Keller, Kyle Connor, Hischier, Patrick, DeBrincat and McAvoy are the only credible pre-season candidates. Obviously that could change and somebody like Mete or Yamamoto could come in and blow us all away, but it's far more likely the rookie scoring leader this year is in that 50-60 points range. Could be the worst class since 11/12.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aphrodite posted:

College guys never win the Calder.

Anders Bjork is going to.

I actually think he's a dark horse to win it but no one outside of Bruins fans has really paid attention to him at all. They've already said he's cemented a top-6 role through a strong preseason/camp and my man is currently playing on a line with Marchand and Bergeron, and if that experiment doesn't work they're slotting him with Krejci and Pastrnak. He's gonna score some points.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
It's gonna be Chytil gawd you all so dumb

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
casey mittelstadt will win the hobey baker this year and the calder next year

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

There is basically no chance of Chabot winning the Calder, because a) he's not going to play a full season in the NHL and b) he isn't nearly as good as advertised (yet). also c) Ottawa is a garbage heap trash fire

The rookie class this year isn't interesting, it's crappy. Boeser, Keller, Kyle Connor, Hischier, Patrick, DeBrincat and McAvoy are the only credible pre-season candidates. Obviously that could change and somebody like Mete or Yamamoto could come in and blow us all away, but it's far more likely the rookie scoring leader this year is in that 50-60 points range. Could be the worst class since 11/12.

Bold prediction, but I agree. McAvoy is going to score 60 points.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Chabot will get called back up in short order, and playing 60-70 games is all he needs. I agree that it's a pretty terrible rookie class this year though. It doesn't help that the top two picks are among the most underwhelming players selected in those positions in league history.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Chabot will get called back up in short order, and playing 60-70 games is all he needs. I agree that it's a pretty terrible rookie class this year though. It doesn't help that the top two picks are among the most underwhelming players selected in those positions in league history.

I dunno. In pre-season he was very obviously overmatched against not-NHL caliber opponents. I don't think he's going to play 60-70 games.

The biggest issue is if they're trying to get him to change sides. If he needs to play on the offside to make the NHL with the Sens, his transition is going to take longer.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/danbahl/status/915249483243499520

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

anything is gonna be better than a age 25 """""rookie""""" that spent ten years floating around in the khl winning the calder

I am a member of team UFA

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
its fine the Bruins famously do better in the later rounds of the draft anyway!!!
2005 - Sobotka (4th)
2006 - Lucic, Marchand (2nd, 3rd)
2007 - ok not this one, at least Tommy Cross is still with the team I guess
2008 - nevermind
2009 - ok nevermind
2010 - Ryan Spooner and Zane McIntyre...errrr
2011 - nevermind
2012 - nevermind
2013 - Cehlarik is cool I guess

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Porty still hasn't posted lines so I'm gonna take a shot at opening night lines:

Atkinson-Wennberg-Panarin
PLD-Dubinsky-Bjorkstrand
Calvert-Foligno-Anderson
Milano-Sedlak-Dalpe
Extra: Hannikainen
IR: Jenner, Schroeder, Vigneault

Werenski-Jones
JMFJ-Savard
Murray-Carlsson
Extras: Harrington, Nutivaara

:cop:
Korpisalo

drat, and I thought Columbus did a good job dumping first rounders for a while.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My vote is on Hischier. Dude is going to get lots of icetime with Zajac out until 2018.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

ElwoodCuse posted:

was their internet not working? :q:

Marcel Hossa never forget.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
barzal is going to win the calder.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

I'll even include the second pick to show how badly Lou hosed up:

2005: Bergfors/Frazee
2006: Corrente/Vasunyov
2007: Hoeffel/N.Palmieri
2008: Tedenby/Burlon
2009: Josefson/Gelinas
2010: Merrill/Wedgewood
2011: Larsson/Coleman
2012: Matteau/Severson
2013: Santini/Kujawanski

So like two good d-men, one of which is still with the team. Granted, Tedenby became Kovalchuk, and Larsson became Hall.

a false posted:

barzal is going to win the calder.

peter chiarelli is a real idiot

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 3, 2017

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Go hockey :toot:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Au revoir, Pouliot - you were never good.

2 goals in 67 career NHL games, the same number of goals that Martin Erat scored for the Capitals after being traded for Filip Forsberg who is the player Shero should have picked instead of Derrick Pouliot.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/915334222440693760

Wilson is now a repeat repeat offender. Twice in one preseason! (These games matter though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Six games for trying to injure two Blues rookies in two exhibition games. What a piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread