Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

howe_sam posted:

I am super confident in the Red Sox...

Getting their faces shoved in. Like if they win A game in the LDS I'll be happy.

this guy gets it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Carlosologist posted:

is no one else super nervous for their team? even the division winners who are guaranteed to play three??

Honestly not really. Last year I was a loving wreck, but this year it's just cool that the Cubs even managed to win the division and get here again, considering how piss poor WS champion teams usually perform the year after.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

is no one else super nervous for their team? even the division winners who are guaranteed to play three??
No, after the last four years I am totally confidant about the Dodgers in the postseason.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Carlosologist posted:

The Twins are playing with house money right now as far as I'm concerned. If we win tonight I'm gonna go crazy.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Thoughts on the Clemente Award? I'm hoping for Wainwright, Cano or Hamels but I'm always super biased in Waino's favor.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Oh no https://twitter.com/craigcalcaterra/status/915265965205676033

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

YeahTubaMike posted:

Heeeeeeeyyyyy I totally forgot that happened, but you're absolutely right. Steven Matz also had nothing but good things to say about Dan Warthen, and his elbow seems to have been replaced with broken glass.

Matz and Wheeler never bounced back after their injuries and Harvey fell apart the second time he got hurt.

Not to mention Niese, Pelfrey and Maine were solid enough pitchers once upon a time that seemed to implode almost overnight.

To me, Warthen will be forever known as the guy that insulted Daisuke Matsuzaka's interpreter.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Doooooooo it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

Thoughts on the Clemente Award? I'm hoping for Wainwright, Cano or Hamels but I'm always super biased in Waino's favor.

I just looked up the nominees (Give it to Rizzo already, dammit) and loving :lol::lol::lol: the Brewers nominated Matt loving Garza.

https://twitter.com/Gdeuceswild/status/819779233522204672

http://www.businessinsider.com/matt-garza-went-off-on-a-sexist-twitter-rant-aimed-at-an-opponents-wife-2013-8

Truly a man worthy of an award aimed at highlighting good conduct and sportsmanship on and off the field :rolleyes:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:ughh:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Give it to the Brewers for being the only team charitable enough to employ Matt Garza.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Matt Garza's first kid was born when he was 18, 6 years before he married his wife. #juatsaying [sic]

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Honestly not really. Last year I was a loving wreck, but this year it's just cool that the Cubs even managed to win the division and get here again, considering how piss poor WS champion teams usually perform the year after.

This is the boat I'm in. This is the first year of my life where the Cubs have made the postseason and I'm not slammed with the crippling anxiety of a century of failure, so I'm actually going to enjoy the games this year and not just the results, drat it. :argh:

I do think a lot of people are overlooking the Cubs as contenders to repeat, though. The Indians are the only team in the majors with a better post-All-Star-break record, so it's definitely possible for the Cubs to make a deep run.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I know it's not super unlikely or anything but I think it's cool that we still haven't faced a repeat opponent in the postseason over the past 3 seasons (Pirates/Cards/Mets, Giants/Dodgers/Indians, Nationals). Would be cool to make it to the NLCS against the wild card winner but I'd rather the Dodgers win that series and hopefully set up an NLCS rematch

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SI posted a cool article about the Twins hitting coach https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/02/minnesota-twins-james-rowson-mlb-playoffs

It also has a cool game halfway down where you can try to guess where to throw to hitters.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

I know it's not super unlikely or anything but I think it's cool that we still haven't faced a repeat opponent in the postseason over the past 3 seasons (Pirates/Cards/Mets, Giants/Dodgers/Indians, Nationals). Would be cool to make it to the NLCS against the wild card winner but I'd rather the Dodgers win that series and hopefully set up an NLCS rematch

It's pretty impressive when you consider that 5 of the 6 division winners are the exact same as last year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

It also has a cool game halfway down where you can try to guess where to throw to hitters.

They put that in every baseball article about specific teams it seems like, and I am always so bad at it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Poque posted:

The Twins have faced the Yankees in the playoffs in 03, 04, 09 and 10. And now this year. The only other team they've faced in the first round is the A's, and that also happened twice, in 02 and 06. Way more common than you'd think.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bradzilla posted:

The Twins have faced the Yankees in the playoffs in 03, 04, 09 and 10. And now this year. The only other team they've faced in the first round is the A's, and that also happened twice, in 02 and 06. Way more common than you'd think.

The Twins are actually the outlier here

e:

howe_sam posted:

There was a stretch of time in the mid-aughts where it felt like if the Red Sox made the postseason they played the Angels in the LDS, happened four out of the six times the Sox made the playoffs between 2000-2010

well maybe not, but I doubt it's all that common

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 3, 2017

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

jays decline bautista's option

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

There was a stretch of time in the mid-aughts where it felt like if the Red Sox made the postseason they played the Angels in the LDS, happened four out of the six times the Sox made the playoffs between 2000-2010

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Abel Wingnut posted:

jays decline bautista's option

what a weird loving career that man has had

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What I remember from post season Min v NYY games: Mark Texiera post game interviews where he talks about how he won't be watching baseball because football is on, and gee gosh the twins are a great team dunno why they can't beat us sorry for sweep number a million.

gently caress the Yankees.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Is it possible for Jon Jay and Javy to win but the rest of the Cubs to lose? Because that's my ideal universe.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
You should all root for me to win another ring, tia

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

You should all root for me to win another ring, tia

Only after the Twins, Rockies, Nats, Dodgers, and Astros are eliminated.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix posted:

Only after the Twins, Rockies, Nats, Dodgers, and Astros are eliminated.

Don't you want Randy Bush to get another ring???

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Rays have parted ways with their pitching coach Jim Hickey.

This seems like a bad idea.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'm sure we can come to some sort of accord on ring time vs rooting for the Cubs. Some sort of equation of how hard you root to how much time you get it before having to send it on

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Goodpancakes posted:

I'm sure we can come to some sort of accord on ring time vs rooting for the Cubs. Some sort of equation of how hard you root to how much time you get it before having to send it on

I, personally, would like to see my team double its World Series championships in my lifetime. Halfway there!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

bauer starting game 1

not a joke

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Apparently the plan is to throw Kluber in 2 and have him ready for 5, if necessary.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

Apparently the plan is to throw Kluber in 2 and have him ready for 5, if necessary.

Won't matter because the Twins will win in four :getin:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of shedding staff, the Cardinals will not be renewing pitching coach Lilliquist or bullpen coach Ilsley's contracts. Apparently it's their fault that Matheney can't manage his pitching staff or something.

Ah yes, start Kluber on short rest, that worked well from them last year, I remember.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
^^^^ It did. The bigger problem was starting Josh Tomlin and Bad Bauer.

IcePhoenix posted:

Won't matter because the Twins will win in four :getin:
Don't you need to win a game against the Yankees first? :)

secular woods sex fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 3, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Don't you need to win a game against the Yankees first? :)

yes the implication is that we will also do that thanks

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

Speaking of shedding staff, the Cardinals will not be renewing pitching coach Lilliquist or bullpen coach Ilsley's contracts. Apparently it's their fault that Matheney can't manage his pitching staff or something.

Ah yes, start Kluber on short rest, that worked well from them last year, I remember.

Two travel days between 2 and 5 so it's normal rest. My problem with it is if you're down 1-2 you want Kluber available on short rest in game 4.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
At this point Tito could dig up Bob Feller's bones and put them on the mound for Game 1 and I wouldn't question him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

wouldn't you rather have kluber 1, carrasco 2, bauer 3, kluber 4, and carrasco 5? and that'd help with kluber's rest for the next round.

or if you're going 4-man, kluber, carrasco bauer, tomlin, kluber?

• Locked thread