Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

I've been hitting gently caress off on the "Let's cross this one of your list" update popup every day for literally weeks. How do I make it stop without giving in to its terroristic demands to restart.

format your hard drive, then restart afterwards when you feel comfortable doing so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Restart your computer. If you can't, then stare into a mirror until you've reflected on the life decisions that led to you being helplessly dependent on the constant uptime of a piece of consumer electronics.

Then restart your computer.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Currently I avoid rebooting my tablet if possible because it will sit at the Rebooting screen for ten minutes before blue screening due to POWER STATE FAILURE. :downs:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Restart your computer. If you can't, then stare into a mirror until you've reflected on the life decisions that led to you being helplessly dependent on the constant uptime of a piece of consumer electronics.

Oh I'm sorry I thought this was America

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Why do you hate security updates?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

"I think I can find Freedom by digging deeper. I'm going to dig deeper," said the American, as his friends tossed him a rope.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I used to get upset at requests to restart then I installed an SSD. Try that if you're having problems.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nope this is the short bus, friend.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arivia posted:

I used to get upset at requests to restart then I installed an SSD. Try that if you're having problems.

Truth.

My old system was so slow, I could literally make a sandwich and a drink in the time it took to power up. Now I've got SSDs and they're so fast I barely have time to get comfortable in my chair before it's ready to go.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Or you know, people that work for a living, dumb rear end.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

redeyes posted:

Or you know, people that work for a living, dumb rear end.

Then don’t buy consumer hardware and software and also take care of your tools so they work well for your mission-critical needs. That means maintenance, e.g. restarting as necessary.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If you have a critical function that literally can't be interrupted for over a month, talk to your IT department or investigate the several options available in Windows itself to defer updates and upgrades in their non - consumer versions, as any professional should be expected to do.

If you just don't want to turn your PC off ever, even once a month, to avoid the minor inconvenience of re-opening a few program files, then go cry me a loving river.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

Then don’t buy consumer hardware and software and also take care of your tools so they work well for your mission-critical needs. That means maintenance, e.g. restarting as necessary.

That doesn't make any sense. You are dumb. Mission critical does not equal not wanting to restart every week.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 4, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

redeyes posted:

That doesn't make any sense. You are dumb. Mission critical does not equal not wanting to restart every week.

The .000000000002 cents you'll lose from having to reboot your buttminig rig is really gonna break the bank eh?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

If Windows is taking too long to reboot, maybe look at all the stuff you got loading on boot? If something is making it take too long it will probably stick out.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

You're the idiot.

Patches are also once a month these days.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Didn't redeyes get laughed out of the thread last time we had the argument about ~omfg constant uptime for work~ in this thread? Or was that someone else?

Also, wasn't that basically one month ago? It's almost as if these things get pushed once a month.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

redeyes posted:

It's once a month, maybe twice if a really bad security issue is discovered which justifies an off-schedule patch.

It's not like you can get surprised by it either. The Patch Tuesday schedule has been the same since 2003. You know with as much certainty as is possible that Microsoft will release patches next Tuesday, and that they'll probably require a reboot. Plan to be able to reboot within a few days after that. It's not hard.

Jan posted:

Didn't redeyes get laughed out of the thread last time we had the argument about ~omfg constant uptime for work~ in this thread? Or was that someone else?

Also, wasn't that basically one month ago? It's almost as if these things get pushed once a month.
Yes it was him making pretty much the same posts and being just as wrong then.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MS Office patches came out yesterday.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Am I right in believing that Remote Desktop is full of security holes and should never be used?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Am I right in believing that Remote Desktop is full of security holes and should never be used?

It is perfectly fine and used all the time. Just don't expose it to the public internet and you will be fine (though that could be said for any service.) I You should only access it with something else in-between , like a VPN, or an RD Gateway server (which is a VPN of sorts, but for remote desktop only).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It probably isn't and it seems safe to use from what I can gather, but it should never be accessible on a publicly available address anyway.

e;fb

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

RDP has a way better track record than VNC and is more mature than PCoIP. It's pretty much The Standard for gui remoting, and obviously SSH for cli access.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I worked at a hospital where the medical records system was on internet-facing Win Server 2003 RDP you would log in to. Somehow I never heard of any massive incidents with that so I guess it wasn't ever brute-forced.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

RDP has a way better track record than VNC and is more mature than PCoIP. It's pretty much The Standard for gui remoting, and obviously SSH for cli access.

I've never heard of RDP being exploited directly, it's always credentials stolen in some other manner.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Jan posted:

I'm pretty sure we're still waiting for his example of why restarting once a month would cause small business to go under.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

redeyes posted:

I've never heard of RDP being exploited directly, it's always credentials stolen in some other manner.

There where some exploits for 2k3 many years ago that would allow someone to break into a exposed system via RDP, but it was patched some time ago. I think it exploited LASS or something like that.

Still never a good idea to leave RDP exposed to the internet though regardless.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I have a Windows 10 searching question.

Windows 10 seems to have no problem finding stuff on my C: drive (the drive it's installed on) but does seem to have a problem searching my D: drive, where I'm storing all my music/movies/My Docs.

The D: drive IS indexed.

If I search for a song, let's say "The Sporting Life", Windows 10 says "no results". If I go into the filter and set it to music, it finds the song. I thought the point of the "ALL" option under the search menu is that it would find ALL items that match the search result.

It sort of defeats the purpose of searching if I have to apply a filter to find something doesn't it?

EDIT: I'm running the Spring Creator's Update with the latest updates, if it matters.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Did you repoint the documents/music/whatever folders to where you are actually storing stuff in D: or just leave them in the default location in your profile? The quick search stuff only looks at things in the start menu and your profile, and since some random folders in a different drive have no association with your user profile out of box, they aren't included in the results.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Like everyone else said, it's real good. My contribution is that I set it up so that the firewall disallows access my public network adapter, and only allow access on my private ZeroTier adapter. This works flawlessly. For example, I have both the ZeroTier and RDP apps on my phone, so if I need to connect, I just turn on the VPN first and then connect with RDP. Then when I'm done, disconnect from both. It's great.

Aside from remote desktop, ZeroTier is excellent software that I definitely recommend. The no charge service level can connect up to 100 devices I think, so it's more than enough for home use.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Cross-posting from the GPU thread:

I've got a weird GPU/windows problem that I cannot find anything on online. One of my graphics cards (980) is unstable as gently caress, but only on windows 10. If I boot into windows 7 it will run perfectly fine at 1500/8200MHz on core/memory all day long, but when in windows 10 it cannot run stock clocks for more than a couple minutes before hard crashing. The other 980 works perfectly normally in both operating systems.

Even weirder is that it coincides with putting a waterblock on my graphics card, but I cannot understand how the software level OS problem and the hardware change are related. it has persisted through a reinstall of windows 10, as well.

Anyone have a clue?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Did you repoint the documents/music/whatever folders to where you are actually storing stuff in D: or just leave them in the default location in your profile? The quick search stuff only looks at things in the start menu and your profile, and since some random folders in a different drive have no association with your user profile out of box, they aren't included in the results.

Thanks for the reply. :)

I did repoint the user folders to the D: drive, so Music opens My Music on the D: drive, for example.

Doesn't seem to search music/movies/documents unless I filter.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 5, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Against my better judgement, I'm finally moving up to Windows 10 for my new personal machine.

First post had some links I went looking at, but surely at this point there's a newer, better tool out there that's a one-stop-shop for purging the poo poo out of every last stupid thing that Microsoft bombards you with, kills Cortana, and fixes all the privacy settings?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I wouldn't bother. People that use stuff like that seem to end up having strange, aggravating issues ~for some reason~.

CFox fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 5, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Against my better judgement, I'm finally moving up to Windows 10 for my new personal machine.

First post had some links I went looking at, but surely at this point there's a newer, better tool out there that's a one-stop-shop for purging the poo poo out of every last stupid thing that Microsoft bombards you with, kills Cortana, and fixes all the privacy settings?

How about you just install the drat thing and don't rely on some random guy's idea of what things are horrible monsters?

If you're doing setup, it even lets you turn off a ton of stuff right away before you reach desktop. Also protip: an ad-blocking hosts file is going to stop most of the "telemetry" stuff on its own.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Get Windows pro (see earlier in the thread for a bunch of talk about getting a legit key for like $3) and learn to use the Group Policy editor.

You can still break stuff pretty easily if you don't know what you're doing, but at least it's all easily reversible. Not like making some mysterious, cryptic registry edits to disable stuff. Group policy stuff can disable most junk or features you don't want (like Cortana) and change telemetry/error reporting (mostly) and other things if you're concerned about privacy.

As for cleaning out the junk that's already there, that depends on what the junk specifically is. Don't go cleaning your registry with any of the million registry cleaners out there, that doesn't really help poo poo and usually just breaks stuff. Even CCleaner, the one everyone recommends if they absolutely have to (picking the best turd out of a pile of poo poo) has a habit of somehow completely breaking Windows search.

I do like this one program, Winaero tweaker. 99% of windows tweaking programs are just bullshit and make stupid registry edits, but winaero tweaker has some neat little features I like that are kinda a hassle to do on my own so whatever. It makes it easy to disable Cortana, the action center, live tiles, web search, etc. etc.

fishmech posted:

Also protip: an ad-blocking hosts file is going to stop most of the "telemetry" stuff on its own.

Do you know of a specific list that does this? I have a pi-hole on my network, so you think adding a list with telemetry and stuff to it would stop it? Or you think Windows would just use another dns server somehow to get around it and send its own stuff out there?

I'm not worried too much about Windows telemetry, but if it doesn't hurt to block it then I would prefer to do it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My computer doesn't want to stay asleep.

I turned the mouse being able to wake it up off, but it still wakes up immediately after it goes to sleep.

Any settings I can check?

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My computer doesn't want to stay asleep.

I turned the mouse being able to wake it up off, but it still wakes up immediately after it goes to sleep.

Any settings I can check?

If you run
code:
powercfg -lastwake
in a command prompt it will tell you what last woke the computer up. It might help track the problem down.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BrainDance posted:

Do you know of a specific list that does this? I have a pi-hole on my network, so you think adding a list with telemetry and stuff to it would stop it? Or you think Windows would just use another dns server somehow to get around it and send its own stuff out there?

I'm not worried too much about Windows telemetry, but if it doesn't hurt to block it then I would prefer to do it.

The MVPS hosts list blocks most of it through blocking the ad servers they're related to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

GigaFuzz posted:

If you run
code:
powercfg -lastwake
in a command prompt it will tell you what last woke the computer up. It might help track the problem down.

What does this mean? Its a USB device?

code:
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 1
  Wake Source [0]
    Type: Device
    Instance Path: USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&230f5685&0
    Friendly Name:
    Description: USB Root Hub
    Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)