Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Paul Otellini has passed away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

ohgodwhat posted:

Cool, I went to microcenter the other day and they said they'd have coffee lake available today. So, I came back today and nope. I kind of figured but it's very annoying. The salesman also seemed to say you need ddr4-2600 for coffee lake, which seems like bullshit?

My problem is that I have a whole bundle of brand new PC parts sitting on my floor except for the mobo and processor, and I'm contemplating giving in and getting a 7700K. The extra cores would actually be somewhat meaningful for me but if it's going to be months until we can reliably get coffee lake...

You don't NEED ddr4-2667, but I read it's the highest speed that Coffee Lake officially supports

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ohgodwhat posted:

Cool, I went to microcenter the other day and they said they'd have coffee lake available today. So, I came back today and nope. I kind of figured but it's very annoying. The salesman also seemed to say you need ddr4-2600 for coffee lake, which seems like bullshit?

My problem is that I have a whole bundle of brand new PC parts sitting on my floor except for the mobo and processor, and I'm contemplating giving in and getting a 7700K. The extra cores would actually be somewhat meaningful for me but if it's going to be months until we can reliably get coffee lake...

The 300-series chipsets now have 'official' support for DDR4-2666, versus 'official' support for DDR4-2400 on the 200-series, and DDR4-2133 was the 'stock' speed on the 100-series. So when the H and Q-series 300 boards come out, they'll support up to DDR4-2666, but Z370 boards have boosted memory speed support, so even though it says 2666 on the datasheet, depending on the power and circuitry, Z370 boards will support 3000-4000Mhz+ DIMMs.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

ohgodwhat posted:

It doesn't need, but it can officially support. Nevermind that Skylakes have already been overclocked to 4000+ and Haswells to 3000+. 2600 is a good price/performance diminishing return point though if you don't already have memory you're going to use. I wouldn't be worried about 2400 and 2133 is just a few percent slower if that's the memory you already have.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ohgodwhat posted:

The CPUs cant be sold until tomorrow.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Cygni posted:

The CPUs cant be sold until tomorrow.

Thursday? And honestly I don't think Microcenter has a reputation for following that.

Thanks for all of your answers on the memory by the way.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Cygni posted:

Embargo is dropping, all of the boards are showing up on the partners pages:

http://wccftech.com/intel-z370-motherboard-roundup-asus-msi-asrock-aorus-gigabyte/

I'm lookin at the Strix Z370-H or Z370-F I think.

I have my eye on those two boards too, probably the -H since I don't need the LED controlling stuff. Why bother including a PS/2 connector though...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It's still Tuesday in the US. For the 7700k, the embargo lasted until noon EST on launch day.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can't adapt a Model M to USB so there'll be demand for PS/2 ports for years. Though having both a keyboard and a mouse one seems like a waste.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

craig588 posted:

You can't adapt a Model M to USB so there'll be demand for PS/2 ports for years.

What scammer told you that? Any keyboard that successfully works on a PS/2 port can be used with any properly made PS/2 to USB adapter.

What can't be adapted is things like software copy protection dongles that happened to implemented as PS/2 passthroughs, or other such specialty devices.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fishmech posted:

What scammer told you that? Any keyboard that successfully works on a PS/2 port can be used with any properly made PS/2 to USB adapter.

"no TRUE Scotsman PS/2 to USB adapter..."

It's actually quite correct (and a rather-well-known issue) that Model Ms pull enough current that many PS/2-to-USB adapters have issues. Hotplugging the USB adapter on a booted system is usually the worst suspect here - it won't be recognized and sometimes I've had it instantly hard-reset the whole PC.

Even some motherboards have issues. My work PC (random Dell ATX workstation) sometimes won't recognize my (direct-plugged) Model M on a cold boot but it works properly after a reboot.

The default assumption for a PS/2-to-USB adapter probably isn't that it needs to wait for enumeration to finish before it connects the PS/2 device, assuming that a controller like even has the capability to switch the PS/2 port on at all (rather than it just being permanently wired up). You can certainly design an adapter like that but a random adapter that you order from Amazon or eBay has a very good chance of not working quite properly around the edges.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 4, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got some bullshit adapter then. What I tried it was weird and missed button presses, I'd have to type at like 30WPM, defeating the whole point of a Model M. What should I look into for reading 130+ WPM?

Edit: Oh, nice that site has recommendations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

craig588 posted:

You can't adapt a Model M to USB so there'll be demand for PS/2 ports for years. Though having both a keyboard and a mouse one seems like a waste.

You can just use the blue cube style adapters:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008J56RVY/

They're not as cheap as the passive ones but they work great, I have a couple of them in use. The only downside is they're big and tend to block the second USB port on a header, but new motherboards have a lot of USB ports.

e:fb

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Paul MaudDib posted:

"no TRUE Scotsman PS/2 to USB adapter..."

It's actually quite correct (and a rather-well-known issue) that Model Ms pull enough current that many PS/2-to-USB adapters have issues. Hotplugging the USB adapter on a booted system is usually the worst suspect here - it won't be recognized and sometimes I've had it instantly hard-reset the whole PC.

Even some motherboards have issues. My work PC (random Dell ATX workstation) sometimes won't recognize my (direct-plugged) Model M on a cold boot but it works properly after a reboot.

The default assumption for a PS/2-to-USB adapter probably isn't that it needs to wait for enumeration to finish before it connects the PS/2 device, assuming that a controller like even has the capability to switch the PS/2 port on at all (rather than it just being permanently wired up). You can certainly design an adapter like that but a random adapter that you order from Amazon or eBay has a very good chance of not working quite properly around the edges.

A PS/2 standard compliant port is meant to support 250 milliamps of power draw at 5 volts continuously, 275 milliamps at 5.5 volts in bursts. That a lot of adapters or even actual ports on modern systems won't supply enough power is down to them not meeting the original standards.

A lot of cheap adapters only bother to handle a few dozen milliamps and do a reduced check on what's plugged in because for 90% of keyboards out there it'll be Good Enough. But that's like how you have all those "parallel port to USB" adapters that are really only handle a few sorts of the ways printers would use it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Soon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-BX80...=BX80684I78700K

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Good luck to all the early buyers. I can't justify upgrading for another 6-9 months (unless my system self-immolates), and hopefully by then we'll have more information on Z390, Volta, and beyond - and RAM and GPUs might be cheaper. -_-

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 4, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Seems like it already went live on newegg.com

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117827&cm_re=8700k-_-19-117-827-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117825

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 4, 2017

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Can't they just design the CPU based around a non poo poo stock heatsink?

The Intel stock one handles, what, 50w of heat?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
65 watts, basically at the noise floor of an office. As long as you're not letting it get clogged with dust or trying to overclock it's exactly perfect for what it's for. Any bigger and packaging issues come up with fitting into smaller cases just to support edge cases of people who want to overclock. A lot more people want small computers than want to overclock.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Also, if you're overclocking you're not going to be looking for a heatsink that's only moderately better than the stock one--you're gonna want one that's noticeably larger and more expensive. Which for like 95% of users is a waste.

In the reverse, Intel was wise to skip out entirely on stock HSFs for k-series chips, because basically no one used them and they ended up being a wasted expense.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

drat, those sold out fast.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

welp already out of stock.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They went up at 3am and quickly sold out, Some people have expected delivery tomorrow.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

Can't they just design the CPU based around a non poo poo stock heatsink?

The Intel stock one handles, what, 50w of heat?

the k cpus have a 95W tdp, so they're not really designing those around the heatsink, consequently they don't even ship one in the box last i checked.

the one that's been around for ages is cheap to produce, has good component/case compatibility and is (relatively) easy to replace without tools. it doesn't really need to be anything more and i can't fault them too much for it.

the weirder product is the taller one that they sell (standalone? i don't think it ships with any cpus) that apparently isn't even that much better at cooling than the small one. there has to be a market for it but i can't think who's buying this

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Any sites selling the new Z290 boards?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tab8715 posted:

Any sites selling the new Z290 boards?

No, nobody is selling boards that do not exist.

Now z370 you can find some by third parties on amazon and newegg but none by the retailer themselves. Antonline has some gigabyte z370 boards on ebay.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Durp.

Looks like Newegg has two ASUS models.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Why do these motherboards all still have rear end media controllers for usb 3.1?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Why do these motherboards all still have rear end media controllers for usb 3.1?

Because Intel still doesn't have native USB3.1 gen2, that's coming with Z390.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Don Lapre posted:

The newest generation Asmedia controllers are better than the intel ones. They can actually drive an Oculus Rift setup whereas the intels fall flat on their rear end.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

An Overclockers UK staffer has described their stock levels of 'K' Coffee Lakes as "practically zero".

Welp. I thought I'd outgrown mashing F5.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

SuperTeeJay posted:

An Overclockers UK staffer has described their stock levels of 'K' Coffee Lakes as "practically zero".

Welp. I thought I'd outgrown mashing F5.

What does "practically zero" mean? You have some but you can't sell them because you promised your brother in law and your dog and your neighbor you'd get them one of these fancy cpus?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Well its passed Noon PST and it looks like the embargo is still up. Newegg briefly had a marketplace page up for the CPU but deleted it. The only vendors with the pages still up looked to be Chinese and UK Amazon? Not sure when this thing is supposed to lift.

Apparently Newegg confirmed that it was an error and they cant sell/ship the CPUs until 10/5.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Volguus posted:

What does "practically zero" mean? You have some but you can't sell them because you promised your brother in law and your dog and your neighbor you'd get them one of these fancy cpus?

It means my concerns about them having yield issues might end up being true. My guess is Intel is producing more of the non-K Coffee Lakes to dump to OEMs who are desperate to sell "the computer everyone afraid of building their own wants" this holiday season.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Doing some quick math the embargo ends 10/5 8AM CST.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

:jerkbag: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-to-rebrand-kaby-lake-pentiums-towards-pentium-gold.html

"Hey, if instead of the G-series Pentiums we started calling them Pentium Gold, we could probably charge a 15-20% markup to stupid rubes!"

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Generic Monk posted:

the weirder product is the taller one that they sell (standalone? i don't think it ships with any cpus) that apparently isn't even that much better at cooling than the small one. there has to be a market for it but i can't think who's buying this

They used to include one that's almost identical with higher-end Pentium D processors, it was just a touch shorter but otherwise looked the same. The fan was insanely loud at full rpm, so I pulled it off and ran it fanless in my HTPC with a C2Duo and it worked great - quiet, didn't overheat and cost me $0.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
My dream is maybe it means they're planning on rebranding the Pentium into their flagship product, but I doubt it. If they really wanted to do that they'd make this generations Pentiums the Bronze, then shift the next generations I processors to Gold Silver and Bronze, and move the current Pentium line to be called Celeron. I still like the Pentium name more than "I".

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BIG HEADLINE posted:

:jerkbag: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-to-rebrand-kaby-lake-pentiums-towards-pentium-gold.html

"Hey, if instead of the G-series Pentiums we started calling them Pentium Gold, we could probably charge a 15-20% markup to stupid rubes!"

There is now an above-background probability that I would choose a Zen2 motherboard with a Killer NIC if it means it will not have an Intel NIC and there are no other viable motherboards with a third company's NIC integrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dont be mean to me posted:

There is now an above-background probability that I would choose a Zen2 motherboard with a Killer NIC if it means it will not have an Intel NIC and there are no other viable motherboards with a third company's NIC integrated.

If bad branding upsets you, seems weird to be specifically after a "KILLER" product.

Gold/Silver/Bronze doesnt seem that dumb to me compared to the current marketing of G-Series, N-Series, J-Series etc. I would even say its less dumb than the current i7/Ryzen 7, i5/Ryzen 5, i3/Ryzen 3 thing, considering those numbers have nothing to do with anything. At least Gold/Silver/Bronze has a fairly quick recognition of hierarchy in most peoples minds. And god forbid we even talk about the disaster that is GPU branding. Tech companies, man.