Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
In my Mazdamundi campaign, well, Mazdamundi accidentaly became the most popular frog ever. Teclis has +290 or so relations with me, relations with his brother are actually less green.

How did I ally with them? Well, Malektih confederated everyone and had 38 provinces at one point, so naturally everyone hated him for being an autistic spergic edge lord with waaaay to huge tracts of land.

I am at +110 relations from razing a bunch of Edge Lord settlements, and another +100 for allying all the cool (non Tyrion) elfs, as well as another +80 or so for slapping Clan Pestilens around.

Actually, Teclis already likes me more then his brother, I am allied to most of the minors ones and Tiranoc is may best buddy because they colonize all the ruins I make in Malektithland.

Still cant confederate any of the other Lizards.

Lizards can actually occupy Momrathis home base (sacred city of Quintex has a pretty cool building) and the mountain only province north of it. I am burning all the rest and dumping them off to Tiranoc or New World colonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mightypeon posted:

In my Mazdamundi campaign, well, Mazdamundi accidentaly became the most popular frog ever. Teclis has +290 or so relations with me, relations with his brother are actually less green.

How did I ally with them? Well, Malektih confederated everyone and had 38 provinces at one point, so naturally everyone hated him for being an autistic spergic edge lord with waaaay to huge tracts of land.

I am at +110 relations from razing a bunch of Edge Lord settlements, and another +100 for allying all the cool (non Tyrion) elfs, as well as another +80 or so for slapping Clan Pestilens around.

Actually, Teclis already likes me more then his brother, I am allied to most of the minors ones and Tiranoc is may best buddy because they colonize all the ruins I make in Malektithland.

Still cant confederate any of the other Lizards.

Lizards can actually occupy Momrathis home base (sacred city of Quintex has a pretty cool building) and the mountain only province north of it. I am burning all the rest and dumping them off to Tiranoc or New World colonists.

I'm in the same situation except as Teclis. Now known as Teclis, Frog Friend.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I love how the new world colonists solely exist to be a pet nation for Mazdamundi to look after

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I love how the new world colonists solely exist to be a pet nation for Mazdamundi to look after

They took the diamond mine settlement and upon further review were deemed to not be a part of the great plan.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So if I make the tier 4 mod for this game (which is likely), I can't decide if I want to just build the garrison walls right into the tier 4s this time because of all the ritual stuff. Having to put walls in every minor feels a lot more mandatory this time around when stacks literally just whereever.

At the same time, Hard isn't hard enough to actually need that so it feels like overkill, while VH and up feels like it would benefit a lot from it since upkeep is so high on units you need all sources of income you can get.

Also definitely making a skills point mod, but probably holding off till after level 20 to giving start extra points.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Fellblade posted:

I payed skaven first, did I ruin the rest of the factions? Playing dark elves now and my line infantry die faster than clan rats, my magic is worse, my artillery is worse, ranged might be a bit better but eh.

Might just quit this campaign and play Skrolk instead.

If by "Bit better" you mean "Easily the best ranged units in the game" then yes, Dark Elves are a bit better.

Seriously Shades loving murder the poo poo out of anything armour or not and they're pretty good in melee too. They're monsters.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Fans posted:

If by "Bit better" you mean "Easily the best ranged units in the game" then yes, Dark Elves are a bit better.

Seriously Shades loving murder the poo poo out of anything armour or not and they're pretty good in melee too. They're monsters.

Have you seen the amount of buffs you can give lothern seaboys? My dudes currently have 57 missile damage and fire every like 4 seconds. Both elf factions seem to do some serious work with ranged units to the point you don't even need horses or any of that poo poo. Teclis still only has his starting phoenix to fly around and harrass hellcannons.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Just came to the point in my Mazda campaign where I had to stab the New World colonies in the back as per the Great Purpose. Sorry bros :(

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
You can buff them up but they still have gently caress all ap damage, can't stalk, are slow and won't murder infantry with their insane weapon damage. They do have a 55% missle block chance though so they'd probably win in a ranged fight.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Seaguard are just my traffic wardens that make everyone on the other side group up so Teclis can get 500 kills.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I realized last night that bastiladons are the upgraded skinks and they loving blow archer range out of the water.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Fans posted:

Playing as Mazdimundi my basic siege tactics have been to rush my Saurus up to the walls and up ladders while the dinos smash down the gates. It's been frighteningly effective, being much quicker then towers, less vulnerable to enemy towers and archers, with some Saurus casualties followed by horrible carnage for the defenders. Then I took The Blood Hall, which was the first time I went up against a proper Dark Elf army & garrison, with Darkshards and Shades aplenty. My poor Saurus suffered 90+% casualties from getting the poo poo shot out of them while they fought on the walls. If I hadn't been able to push my carnos through I'd have likely lost the lot :ohdear:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The primary disadvantage of Shades is that they are the worst looking unit in the game.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

My first game was with Mazda Monday and I conquered most of north and south America but eventually had a stupidly hard time defending it all when I tried to do the ritual. I then started over with Grimlok and the lizard on his back and just took the initial province, the one next to it with the ritual site and the three down the coast and then turtled hard. I won the campaign easily this way. 5 provinces is more than enough economy to support 5 great army stacks, especially when one stack (Grimlock and his lizard friend's stack) only cost about 1000 upkeep thanks to all the saurus being free.

This game I just started with Tyrion and am out to paint the map white. It's around turn 90 and I already own all of Ulthuan and almost all of Canada. The Dark Elves were a solid second place, until I took all of their land and now I just need to send out a couple big armies now and then to disrupt the other two rituals while I just take everything for my own. I see the ritual system as a side quest of sending out armies to interfere with the other big civilizations while I paint.

I really just want the combined map campaign to hurry up and release, but I also want to play this game right now since I'm having so much fun with it.

As far as Warhammer 3 races, They said they'll do all the 8th edition races, so Demons and Ogres are a lock. I hope they do some crazy new armies too like Cathay or Hobgobla-Khan or a full-on Dogs of War army. I want hundreds of pikemen and horse-towed mini-cannons!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I have this terrible habit of playing each race for 100-120 turns then abandoning for another race. It's not that I get bored, I just want to see the other races' stuff in action. I've enjoyed my Skaven campaign the most, but as soon as I got the final tier of units and busted some rear end I immediately loaded up High Elves to check out their poo poo.

I did this in TW1 as well and eventually finished the game for the first time playing as Orcs. Bring back Orcs and VC pronto for 2 is my take. VC vs Skaven is going to be a good time.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Someone earlier linked a party elite vid that apparently showed some neat things to do with skaven in battle. Anyone got a link? I didn't have time to watch it and can't find it again now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NLJP posted:

Someone earlier linked a party elite vid that apparently showed some neat things to do with skaven in battle. Anyone got a link? I didn't have time to watch it and can't find it again now.

Yeah here

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Thanks a lot friend! I guess I should have expected that :haw:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is there any detail on the old world map being able to stand alone with the new races or will it all be joined up? I'd like to play a straight conquest as Skaven beginning at Mordheim. Would probably be hard as gently caress with the surrounding factions but I think once you found your feet it would be fun to give yourself the conquest goal of killing all humans.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is this game optimised way worse than TW1 or is it just an updated drivers issue? Chugging on medium.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

sassassin posted:

Is this game optimised way worse than TW1 or is it just an updated drivers issue? Chugging on medium.

What are you running? My CPU and stuff is all old dogshit, but I have a 1080 and it pumps out the same frames and pretty imagery as TW1 did.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.honga.net/totalwar/warhammer2/building.php?l=en&v=warhammer2&f=wh2_main_grn_arachnos&b=wh2_main_special_dorks_rock

People are datamining the landmarks CA is putting in for the combined map, and this one has a perfect name.

https://www.honga.net/totalwar/warh...sillon_merovech

Also Mousillon is getting a landmark that beefs up the garrison, provides walls, etc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

What are you running? My CPU and stuff is all old dogshit, but I have a 1080 and it pumps out the same frames and pretty imagery as TW1 did.

Only a 960 but it's way worse on much lower settings.

Drivers did need updating, though, not going to give it a negative steam review in chinese just yet.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Woah naval units? https://www.honga.net/totalwar/warhammer2/faction.php?l=en&v=warhammer2&f=wh2_main_vmp_the_silver_host

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think there's been unimplemented naval units for a while, but I don't know if those are new

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I wish they would change siege attrition.

Waiting 8+ turns for it to start is dumb.

Then suddenly half of the defenders die.

It should start sooner and ramp up.

Also gently caress NPC empires spamming you for defensive alliances.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Sieges take way too long to tick over in general. Be more interesting if they were like 8 turns to end in general or something. Make it more of a choice.

Totally not because I think Warhammer siege battles are massive cases of rear end and every single time I'd prefer a field fight.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I really wish Mazdamundi started with a dino like Krox'gar. He and his starting Stegodon carried me through his campaign and hilariously clowned all over everyone.

why do dinos take so long to get :(

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I haaaaate that Seaguard start off in loving skirmish mode I forget every time and there go my lines.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

disable in options

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

sassassin posted:

I haaaaate that Seaguard start off in loving skirmish mode I forget every time and there go my lines.

I had this happen repeatedly and went and turned it off. It's amazing how many times you let it happen and then start another battle and go "ARGH gently caress, NO".

I wish there was a way to disable diplomacy for some factions. Clan Pestilens are constantly being asked to show mercy by dwarfs and various stinky lizards which just makes me more angry and more likely to abandon a mission directive and go destroy them just so they stop trying to talk to me.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Help me out thread, because it feels like either Skaven campaign is a loving diceroll at start right now. Either Kroq/Some other Lizardmen/Dwarfs come and skullfuck you with their much, much better low-tier troops or you luck out and they get distracted long enough that you can rush for Rogres/Stormvermin. What's the best way to start with either Lord and get around the handicap that is Clanrats and Skavenslaves?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

SteelMentor posted:

the handicap that is Clanrats and Skavenslaves?

Buff clan rats with technology by rushing the t3 upgrade for their building and improve them with the red tree. They are nearly as good as stormvermin at 1/3rd the upkeep.

Skavenslaves are ridiculously good for the cost. Hire an extra warlord and load them up with both melee and ranged slaves to raid your own provinces, shut down uprisings, and assist your main stack in difficult fights. With upgrades the stack will cost somewhere around 600 gold a turn.

Make sure you get improvements to ambush % chance after upgrading slaves and clan rats. Having every fight an ambush is a huge deal.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

6500 skaven vs 1000 of my Mazdamundi lizard men and they caught me in an ambush. My entire stack got wiped out except for Maz, 2 scar vets and a skink chief that I retreated into the forest for a last stand. Somehow those crazy bastards managed to hold off the waves of skaven that just wouldn't stop coming. I think Maz had 600 kills alone. Definitely the coolest battle I've fought.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SteelMentor posted:

Help me out thread, because it feels like either Skaven campaign is a loving diceroll at start right now. Either Kroq/Some other Lizardmen/Dwarfs come and skullfuck you with their much, much better low-tier troops or you luck out and they get distracted long enough that you can rush for Rogres/Stormvermin. What's the best way to start with either Lord and get around the handicap that is Clanrats and Skavenslaves?

I had no worries with Skrolk. His starting units are good and you can very quickly assemble a force of plague monks. The trick (and it's all about tricks) is to ambush and gently caress with the enemy line. Call up menace below rats on artillery even if its defended so it can't fire. Gang tackle units that are out of position using menace below. Always be stalking and picking apart their line with cheap skirmishers.

You're basically going to live or die on menace below in early fights and you need to think through deployment. I can't think of a single skaven battle where I've formed a battle line. I just run skirmishers way up field to gently caress enemy formations, catapult behind and by some trees filled with plague monks. A few units of slaves or whatever I could afford to meat shield the catapult while the real army attack from the rear and flanks. Menace below to break wavering units with rear charges. Once you have good arty up and running you can blast the poo poo out of their lines while they try to run down skirmishers and early game dwarfs/lizards are rarely going to catch them thanks to lack of cav.

e: Skaven can be very micro heavy so be prepared to pause and have a look at what you're doing once in a while. I often have moments where I go haha oh poo poo and identify a great place to drop a spell or some clan rats. Skrolk summons a lot of rats and when you add in menace below you can really throw a lot of chaff at good enemy units and then break them with fighty, high leadership monks.

ee: also buy an engineer as soon as you can. Capable arty defender and supercharges that poo poo to an insane degree.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 5, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I never see people talk about how easy it is to completely surround enemy units with Skaven. Most of my victories come more from focusing on doing morale damage more than from killing. Popping a unit of summoned clanrats right behind a battleline unit that you'd like to collapse can be very strong and if placed properly can easily lead to surrounding the entire enemy armg as you fold your newly disengaged units in.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pendent posted:

I never see people talk about how easy it is to completely surround enemy units with Skaven. Most of my victories come more from focusing on doing morale damage more than from killing. Popping a unit of summoned clanrats right behind a battleline unit that you'd like to collapse can be very strong and if placed properly can easily lead to surrounding the entire enemy armg as you fold your newly disengaged units in.

Your artillery is also amazing so you should have some very damaged or shaken units to swarm at when they reach your rats.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

A trick some one told me is use the melee lord as a front line and just rain those acid flame throwers down on the dumb AI

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I love how the new world colonists solely exist to be a pet nation for Mazdamundi to look after, then, on the last day of his training, they give him a gun and order him to kill the dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JBP posted:

You're basically going to live or die on menace below in early fights and you need to think through deployment. I can't think of a single skaven battle where I've formed a battle line. I just run skirmishers way up field to gently caress enemy formations, catapult behind and by some trees filled with plague monks. A few units of slaves or whatever I could afford to meat shield the catapult while the real army attack from the rear and flanks. Menace below to break wavering units with rear charges. Once you have good arty up and running you can blast the poo poo out of their lines while they try to run down skirmishers and early game dwarfs/lizards are rarely going to catch them thanks to lack of cav.

Playing on Hard with Queek, I usually form a battle line with my skaven, but I stretch it out waaaaaaay thin, as thin as I can, and I put whatever my "damage dealing" units are on the edges.

Slaverat Slingers or whatever artillery I have are immediately behind the line on high ground.

The enemy usually charges the center of the line with nice dense formations. because I've extended my line so thin, it's usually much longer, so the edges fold in and flank the sides, then collapse inwards.

Spells go in the middle.

Menace Below clanrats get spawned immediately behind enemy archers or artillery.

After playing around a bit with Queek's tree I've settled on taking the bottom line first with him -- get campaign movement, ambushing, then lightning strike is great, and the reduced upkeep skill above that helps with everything.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 5, 2017