Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The new Gold branding for the Kaby pentiums is actually useful, because now you can tell at a glance that it is a 2C4T good Pentium and not one of the older 2C2T bad pentiums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Welp bought my motherboard so now to play the game of trying to get a god drat 8700k

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

hitze posted:

Welp bought my motherboard so now to play the game of trying to get a god drat 8700k

Are there any reviews out there yet? Tech sites? Or did you just buy it ... because? Then again, thank you for your enthusiasm, if it burns down houses I'll know to stay away from it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It's a Skylake with 6 cores. Not much to figure out really.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Volguus posted:

Are there any reviews out there yet? Tech sites? Or did you just buy it ... because? Then again, thank you for your enthusiasm, if it burns down houses I'll know to stay away from it.

Like...I have a i5-4590 so..........it's time?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

hitze posted:

Like...I have a i5-4590 so..........it's time?

4590? Half this thread is coasting on stuff from 2012 or older.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Volguus posted:

There are already reviews, they leaked out a week ago. It's literally just Kabylake +50% cores, which makes it probably a better choice than Ryzen in many segments.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
What are you guys gonna use to cool your i7-8700k? Because that poo poo apparently runs hotter than Kabbylake...could I even cool it with an HSF if I wanted to hit maybe 4.7ghz on all cores? I'm scared.

Edit: http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-8700k-review/

Athropos fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 5, 2017

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Athropos posted:

What are you guys gonna use to cool your i7-8700k? Because that poo poo apparently runs hotter than Kabbylake...could I even cool it with an HSF if I wanted to hit maybe 4.7ghz on all cores? I'm scared.

4.7 all cores is stock speed if you have any of the major manufacturers' boards, some form of all-core/enhance turbo is a standard inclusion now.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

4.7 all cores is stock speed if you have any of the major manufacturers' boards, some form of all-core/enhance turbo is a standard inclusion now.

Okay so default only 1 core reaches 4.7ghz, but almost every Z board will automatically make all cores at that speed as a baseline "oc"?

Yeah I imagine I could keep temps okay with a bigass HSF thing like a Cryorig H7? Maybe that ugly brown noctua monster? Not really looking to reach 5ghz.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13C-000U-00005

Athropos fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 5, 2017

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Newegg got a bunch of Z370 motherboards in stock, so I ordered mine plus the cooler. The CPU should be the last part I need, whenever they get it back in stock. Then I can finally replace this 7-year old PC that's sort of hanging on.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Cool. ASRock has a no frills ITX Z370 motherboard with built in WiFi for only $135. That's the one I'll be getting

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Athropos posted:

Edit: http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-8700k-review/

Full custom loop with a monoblock

but i think i might just keep my 5820k for now, atleast till z390 comes out

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Twerk from Home posted:

4590? Half this thread is coasting on stuff from 2012 or older.

I'm on an i5-760 from 2010. Hoping that they'll get more stock soon but we'll see.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Athropos posted:

Okay so default only 1 core reaches 4.7ghz, but almost every Z board will automatically make all cores at that speed as a baseline "oc"?

Yeah I imagine I could keep temps okay with a bigass HSF thing like a Cryorig H7? Maybe that ugly brown noctua monster? Not really looking to reach 5ghz.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13C-000U-00005

Correct.

The Scythe Fuma is a NH-D15 for half the price, I'd recommend that if you want a high performance cheap heatsink.

Should be good for all the overclocking worth bothering with.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

Correct.

The Scythe Fuma is a NH-D15 for half the price, I'd recommend that if you want a high performance cheap heatsink.

Yeah I heard things about the Scythe Fuma, will definitely look into that. I really don't want to install my Hyper 212 evo again.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Athropos posted:

Yeah I heard things about the Scythe Fuma, will definitely look into that. I really don't want to install my Hyper 212 evo again.

Whats the issue with the 212 evo? Just the pain in the rear end install? I ended up doing 2 builds with them this weekend.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Whats the issue with the 212 evo? Just the pain in the rear end install? I ended up doing 2 builds with them this weekend.

I had troubles with it back when I put together my ivybridge rig, but I'm kind of retarded so take that with a grain of salt.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'd rather get the h7 cryorig which is quieter, easier to install (the cross bar that holds it to the motherboard isn't an independent part so it doesn't slide off when installing) and cools a little bit better.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

dont be mean to me posted:

There is now an above-background probability that I would choose a Zen2 motherboard with a Killer NIC if it means it will not have an Intel NIC and there are no other viable motherboards with a third company's NIC integrated.

You could go with a board with an Aquantia 5G NIC but that's kind of a premium option and may often come with a second Intel NIC anyways

BurritoJustice posted:

Correct.

Seconding this recommendation for a Fuma, I've got one on my i7-5775C (with a liberal amount of voltage/TDP limit removal on its overclock), and it's handled all the load that my AIO cooler did.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 5, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Welp, time to retire the 2500k. 8700k incoming :toot:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Wow that 8700K looks fast

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Volguus posted:

What does "practically zero" mean? You have some but you can't sell them because you promised your brother in law and your dog and your neighbor you'd get them one of these fancy cpus?
It turns out that it meant:

30 OEM 8700Ks - all used in built systems or binned and delidded chips that sell for £500-800 (lol)
No retail chips.
No further stock expected until the end of the month.

Other major UK retailers that have gone live with the 8700K were showing 'Available to pre-order' from the start. It appears there are no retail 8700Ks for sale in the UK today and all OEM chips are being sold in systems or at an insane markup.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Back order is up on Newegg, which says 15-20 days. BUT its been like that since midnight PST, so six hours ago. I doubt that newegg will get enough stock to fulfill those back orders

edit: and it appears that Amazon (US) never even released the 8700k, only through the EU site.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
8700K review embargo was lifted half an hour ago, so happy reading.

Digital Foundry seem quite pleased with it (for videogames): http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-coffee-lake-core-i7-8700k-review.

It's kind of weird how dismissive Linus is of AMD and their long-term motherboard philosophy, especially given his "heartfelt" diatribe against Intel a bit ago.

It's like John Gruber on Apple.

Gamers Nexus: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3076-intel-i7-8700k-review-vs-ryzen-streaming-gaming-overclocking.

No one still knows how to do performance charts.

Something's up with thermals by the look of it, but GN say it might be software-related. Feels a bit like Kaby Lake i9.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 5, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SuperTeeJay posted:

Other major UK retailers that have gone live with the 8700K were showing 'Available to pre-order' from the start. It appears there are no retail 8700Ks for sale in the UK today and all OEM chips are being sold in systems or at an insane markup.

Scan.co.uk listed it as "available to pre-order" when I put my order in, but they just sent me an email with a delivery ETA of tomorrow so :shrug:

we'll see

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Whats funny is the amazon.co.uk were selling US stock.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

repiv posted:

Scan.co.uk listed it as "available to pre-order" when I put my order in, but they just sent me an email with a delivery ETA of tomorrow so :shrug:

we'll see
Mine says the same, but the online order is sitting at 'Awaiting picking' or something and I'm guessing that's where it's going to stay.

eames
May 9, 2009

TIM seems improved according to der8auer, de-lidding with good paste only improves temps by 3-5C (10-15 with liquid metal which seems high).
8700K seems to clock like the 7700K or slightly better, quite surprising.
He says the normal OC range is 4.8-5.2 and 5.0 is the limit with an AIO and no delidding.

He hinted that next year's upcoming 8C/16T Coffee Lake clocks the same if you can cool it.

eames fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 5, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/intel-coffee-lake-8700k-review/2/

8700K beating the living poo poo out of Ryzen and non-CFL chips in games in 99th min fps.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Palladium posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/intel-coffee-lake-8700k-review/2/

8700K beating the living poo poo out of Ryzen and non-CFL chips in games in 99th min fps.

Wow, even in Cinebench "the game amd bios's have specific modes for" its beating an 8 core chip.

gamers nexus dropped 24c with liquid metal.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 5, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Ordered the i7 on Newegg. Here's to hoping it shows up tomorrow.

I've got a GTX 1070 if anyone wants benchmarks.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Tab8715 posted:

Ordered the i7 on Newegg. Here's to hoping it shows up tomorrow.

I've got a GTX 1070 if anyone wants benchmarks.

My I7 from Newegg is "15-20 day backorder." But I also ordered the motherboard and couple of other various parts, so I can assemble everything else, then just pop in the CPU when it shows up.

I7-8700K, Asus Maximus X Hero, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080TI. I definitely went overboard on this computer (not even counting the RGB nonsense), but my old I7-870 lasted me 7 years and is still trucking along (albeit with a new hard drive because the old one crapped out, and a cheap GTX 950 from a year or two ago). Considering 1 computer will hopefully last me for the span 2-3 computers would have back when I was really into upgrading all the time, I figure it's worth overbuilding it.

eames
May 9, 2009

I thought that power consumption scaling with the additional cores would be a nightmare after seeing SL-X but the opposite is the case. It actually is more power efficient that Ryzen in most cases. Looking forward to the 4C reviews to see if that's because of process or architecture.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Amazon might be at $359 with free shipping so i think ill just hold out.

Edit: amazon price is $370 flat

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 5, 2017

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Where are you guys seeing the new CPUs on Amazon? I can only find an i3.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Surprised that NCIX in Canada doesn't even have listings for the new CPUs at all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Welp this is it then :getin:

E: A local store has two 8700s at $450 (including VAT various gently caress you adjustments) and the K part for $522. I'll probably be traveling for work and then a longish vacation so I'm not too concerned about availability but this price loving sucks.

Techreport review here: http://techreport.com/review/32642/intel-core-i7-8700k-cpu-reviewed

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 5, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Where are you guys seeing the new CPUs on Amazon? I can only find an i3.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07598VZR8?th=1

Went on sale and quickly sold out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

It never did go on sale on Amazon's US website

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 5, 2017