Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I surely will not watch any wildcard team worlds games & I will look disrespectfully towards anyone who circle jerks about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Yeah, FNC just thought "gently caress it, we win mid/late because we're not a wildcard" and went full ham into GAM, which was entertaining as gently caress and also pretty dumb.

Also nobody tilts more beautifully than Soaz and I hope this tilts him like nothing ever did before

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Like Frosk mentioned in the post-game analysis, she's talked to GAM's coach and he flat out admitted they're not good enough to play standard on the world stage. The goal of something like that laneswap into the level 6 Nocturne rush is to pressure a team like FNC into making a bad call (because the playbook's been thrown out the window and they're psychologically scrambling to catch up), which is exactly what happened. FNC was trying so hard to get one step ahead that they let Noway play an MMORPG off in the sidelanes until he became an unstoppable monster. Probably wouldn't work against a team like SKT or LZ, and you can only have so many of these rabbits to pull out of your hat before you have to play standard, but it's good fun to watch and will get them further than they otherwise would have.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 5, 2017

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
What matches are worth watching apart from FNC vs. GAM?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
GAM with the legendary season 7 sandbagging

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Nothing says the pinnacle of league of legends more than a format designed to let the best team in Vietnam run trick plays.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Smol posted:

honestly the rest of the games were kinda lovely and almost all the cho gaths won i think so don't do it to yourself

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I just got caught up and Fnatic vs Marines is the greatest game of professional League of Legends ever played.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Smol posted:

None, really. The overwhelming majority are fairly foregone conclusions. I'd say IMT vs. LZ is a decent watch if you really want to watch a second one, and SKT vs. C9 is good if you love watching Faker clap Jensen.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

(Another game where a lovely wild card team takes advantage of the best of 1 format by doing insanely stupid bullcrap, making a mockery of the format while proving they can't possibly go anywhere out of groups) wow this is the best game I ever saw, almost as good as the day qt played ad sion 12 games in a row, I'm having extreme 3:45 am lulz.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

None, really. The overwhelming majority are fairly foregone conclusions. I'd say IMT vs. LZ is a decent watch if you really want to watch a second one, and SKT vs. C9 is good if you love watching Faker clap Jensen.

IMT vs LZ is good just to see how quickly LZ turns it. Olleh destroyed bot with Morg too.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'm also pretty done with "clap" who started that stupid crap.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
keven is SO grumpy before he's had his morning coffee

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Taciturn Tactician posted:

IMT vs LZ is good just to see how quickly LZ turns it. Olleh destroyed bot with Morg too.

They mucked up their CC chains a few times, but Cody Sun and Olleh ended up bodying GorillA and Pray harder than I expected. Bdd and Khan were able to yank the bad early game back, but still some pretty good stuff from IMT's side.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Lovechop posted:

keven is SO grumpy before he's had his morning coffee

Everything is going to be nice and dandy when TSM gets up and claps their opponents tomorrow

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Work Friend Keven posted:

I'm also pretty done with "clap" who started that stupid crap.

https://twitter.com/c9jensen/status/774674112832737280?lang=en

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Wait does tsm play tonight

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

Wait does tsm play tonight

They're the first game of the night against Flash Wolves, they play the rest of the days this week.

There's a ton of hype about TSM's botlane so I'm looking forward to double choking super hard and Bjergsen being unable to carry because of the meta. I got my TSM hoodie ready. Last time I bought an esports hoodie was for CLG in 2015, and that turned out great. They got poo poo on by flash wolves in a group everyone expected them to get out of that year too and then kicked all the players I was interested in. Good luck TSM.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I will wake up at 3:30am to watch TSM lose

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

im looking forward to more Keven tantrums when the very suave and handsome Gigabyte Marines win some more games

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Omnikin posted:

I will wake up at 3:30am to watch TSM lose

I'm honestly considering it, I did it last night but feel asleep again at like 5

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

that gigabyte marines strat was really fun to watch but if a team had reacted to it properly would have blown up in their face. i hope they have more tricks in the bag

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Work Friend Keven posted:

(Another game where a lovely wild card team takes advantage of the best of 1 format by doing insanely stupid bullcrap, making a mockery of the format while proving they can't possibly go anywhere out of groups) wow this is the best game I ever saw, almost as good as the day qt played ad sion 12 games in a row, I'm having extreme 3:45 am lulz.

looking forward to all the bad NA teams running weird crap all season, woo bo1

edit: i legit dont really know how to solve the issue of groups being a bunch of bo1 because like, theres way too many teams to do bo3 series for all of them. on the other hand they had actual series for the play ins after a bunch of bo1 so maybe they could just cut play ins to make groups not a dumb format. idk.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

that gigabyte marines strat was really fun to watch but if a team had reacted to it properly would have blown up in their face. i hope they have more tricks in the bag

GAM's coach is claiming on Facebook that they're going to use a "never before seen strategy" against Longzhu tomorrow, so I guess we'll see.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Vermain posted:

GAM's coach is claiming on Facebook that they're going to use a "never before seen strategy" against Longzhu tomorrow, so I guess we'll see.

thats a psyche out they're gonna do the heimer jungle push strat

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
They did the same thing a couple times at MSI before people caught on to it, so it's kind of even worse that fnatic weren't prepared for it

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Vermain posted:

archie is going to shoot gorilla to death on stage

henkman posted:

They did the same thing a couple times at MSI before people caught on to it, so it's kind of even worse that fnatic weren't prepared for it

i dont know, that would have been pretty hard to respond to in game if your in game adjustments arent really great. like i guess you could have tried to three buff them and hoover up farm on ryze but even so if you gently caress up responding in that way you still lose, just a little differently. gam clearing the entire top jungle was pretty smart.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

rabidsquid posted:

archie is going to shoot gorilla to death on stsge

Loooooooool

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Who on Immortals is even good? I didn't watch NA LCS this year but no one in that lineup is even remotely intimidating.

GAM was sick nasty and even though I root for Fnatic I was happy to see them get dunked on by a dude playing nocturne with huge balls.

I was shocked by AHQ win. More than GAM.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

xmithie was actually probably the best jungler in NA this split. olleh is good but his champion pool is weird and kind of bad. cody sun improved a lot but he's not like "someone to watch at worlds" good. flame was one of the better NA top laners this year but isnt Lord Flame anymore. pobelter was fine.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
IMT is definitely a whole greater than the sum of their parts kinda team, Xmithie and Olleh had monster splits though.

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
having watched the games on replay, my favorite bit was having the casters wring their hands on how Longzhu was going to win in a Kog'Maw meta, since their adc is unable to play hypercarries(except for that whole time in season 5 when pray was the only adc in the world that could win with the "protect the Kog'Maw" comp the tigers actually invented). wrath of Khan indeed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

i dont know, that would have been pretty hard to respond to in game if your in game adjustments arent really great. like i guess you could have tried to three buff them and hoover up farm on ryze but even so if you gently caress up responding in that way you still lose, just a little differently. gam clearing the entire top jungle was pretty smart.

YamatoCannon did a VOD review of the game and I think I agree with him: FNC actually had the proper play in mind when they did that dive, but they hosed up in two ways:
  • Elise didn't grab initial turret aggro, meaning that Karma ate something like 3 full tower shots and had to blow Heal and Flash to survive.
  • Instead of clearing out the last few enemy minions and then positioning themselves closer towards inner so that they could wait for their next wave and get first turret, they overchased super hard and gave Galio an opportunity to TP back in under turret and cut them off.
The "proper" play would've been to have Elise go in to start, pick off Galio have her reset aggro with Rappel, clear the last remaining enemy minions, then wait for your own wave and get first turret. You then reset with first turret gold and your kill and proceed to play the game normally. The fact that they mucked up so badly screwed up their tempo for the rest of the game and let Levi hit 6 super early, which was GAM's win condition: turn Levi into a monster for 20 minutes until Trist can get 3 items, and then she 1v5s everyone else.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 6, 2017

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Maokai should also never have been there. That seemed pretty key to me, did YC address it by any chance?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Parallel Playa posted:

Maokai should also never have been there. That seemed pretty key to me, did YC address it by any chance?

I think it's fine if your whole goal is simply to get first turret. GAM could not outrace them because of top's turret damage reduction, and the one time Soaz poked his nose into lane while Trist/Lulu were still level 1, he nearly got killed. FNC needed to hard reset the state of the game by getting first turret or else Soaz would just end up sitting at the very back of his turret, unable to even last hit for fear of getting vaporized.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I feel like he could've leeched XP when lulu and trist were still level 2 (especially if he'd not taken damage before the first minion wave arrived; trist autopushes anyway). He ends up teleporting down at level 1 with E leveled and contributes nothing to the dive (nor would he have done anything significant to that turret if they had succeeded), arrives top at ~4:30 and dies to a level 4 botlane.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 6, 2017

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
1.) GAM is fun and cool

2.) Immortals looked surprisingly good until they got outclassed

3.) lmao EDG

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Tonight's hot takes before I forget and/or inevitably pass out during the games:

Game 1: Flash Wolves do something crazy early-game, throw off TSM's entire rhythm, and manage to pull a game off the so-called 'Best In The West'.

Game 2: WE takes easy because Misfits think they can leave Cho'Gath open. They are proven extremely wrong.

Game 3: Goes 60 minutes despite the best efforts of Immortals to close out early, Fnatic throws at Baron.

Game 4: My heart says GAM can throw off Longzhu just long enough they gently caress everything up but a critical overstep by them causes Longzhu to take three inhibs and then the game is effectively over. I want to believe.

Game 5: C9 and AHQ fight to determine which of them can avoid choking the hardest. Somehow it's C9.

Game 6: Faker stomps on Scout's face for 35 minutes.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Redo Worlds with Ardent Censer disabled please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

kingcobweb posted:

Redo Worlds with Ardent Censer disabled please.

worlds patch censer is super hilariously toxic but if it was disabled people would just go back to being super boring and picking thresh/ali/karma/maybe braum in addition to rakan still being banned every game anyway so