Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Potato Salad posted:

I would have thought the dome would be flooded by necessity. When someone said the dome was open for repair, I naively pictured someone with dive gear cleaning gunk off hydrophones.

The implications of an open portal to an unhardened area while underwater :stonk:

I mean, there's the whole process to retrieve mail from the mail buoy while submerged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It's been so long I forgot about the mail buoy.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Mail buoy reminds me of other pranks. We had an OS that would do ESWS training in CIC, and he'd have you stand across from him over the DRT, which had these waist high panels that came down on either end. After showing how to operate the DRT and stuff, he'd tell you to open the panel on your side and look in for a piece of equipment called the DRT snake. You'd bend down, open the panel and look inside, and across the way he had his dick out all waggling around. Then everyone in Combat would laugh at you. Just a little light, semi-gay hazing. nbd

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 5, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

reddit posted:

US Navy submarine, Engineering Officer of the Watch falls asleep behind me in maneuvering, I'm the Reactor Operator. I disconnect the 2MC/7MC mic, I call my buddy outside on the sound powered phone, tell him to set rod position indicators to 0.00", cutout the reactor scram alarm, then sound the siren test, when he wakes up, I report a reactor scram, he flips the gently caress out, tries to report it to Control, we eventually calm him down enough to tell him it was a joke.

Never falls asleep again.

Holy poo poo that's straight evil. I'm not even a sub guy nor an engineer but that is evil as gently caress.

E: I've heard of the DRT snake thing.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 5, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://youtu.be/6Fo0i1-Zxkw

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

God drat. Thats better than the portable air sample test.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

So did you do this to a dude

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

orange juche posted:

So did you do this to a dude

I've never managed to convince anyone to do it :(

bengy81
May 8, 2010
We used to snap radar transmitter bus bars on people during ESWS walk through, always got a pretty good jump or scream out of people.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
When I was in Forward IC on a destroyer, I got a new OS knocking looking for "Link Cord" (They use a radio channel called Link coord, to coordinate link traffic)

I found out that he'd been all over the ship, so I gave him a coil of casualty power cables. Those things are just big enough that they don't easily squeeze through the hatches.

The joke was partially on me because I had to put the cables back, but I was able to lower them down an escape trunk.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I helped set up the audio for the three MAs getting captains masted for DUIs last weekend from the Stennis.
Lol it looks like they called in every MA on base and from the ship to yell at them. I wisely left after testing the audio.
This was of course right after a huge tailgate party about the dangers of driving drunk.
A couple of assaults happened that weekend too.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
my battalion has only been in Okinawa for a few days and already someone got drunk and caused an incident with a local. Can do spirit there

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Was it you

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

No I'm in Timor-Leste, where we are incident free! But we just got here so stand by

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

No I'm in Timor-Leste, where we are incident free! But we just got here so stand by

Tell your fellow 'bees that buying sex slaves is not cool.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Tell your fellow 'bees that buying sex indentured servants is acceptable but frowned upon

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

LingcodKilla posted:

Tell your fellow 'bees that buying sex slaves is not cool.

Reinforce the point that animals aren't sex slaves under the UCMJ, but are still not cool to buy to use as sex slaves.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

On exercise with the AUS Army engineers. They have a full time billet for PT instructor that does a six month course and they look, on the whole, fit and well put together. They don't muck about.

Half the junior personnel on the team we sent qualed for FEP

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'd heard the Ticos were falling apart, but I didn't think that meant the crews were, too: http://nypost.com/2017/10/10/us-navy-crew-monitoring-north-korea-says-ship-is-a-floating-prison/

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/10/09/i-now-hate-my-ship-surveys-reveal-disastrous-morale-on-cruiser-shiloh/

The Navy Times article made me really sad.

If we're conducting these surveys and not acting on them, what's the point.

My congresswoman is super active on the subject of veteran mental health and suicide, there needs to be an investigation of punitive actions against people who report suicidal thoughts.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

If somebody put me on a starvation diet I'd probably turn them into stew at the first chance to make up the calorie lost.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you're dumb enough to attach your name, the point can become what the Air Force was calling "force shaping" in a "fiscally constrained and overmanned environment."

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/10/09/i-now-hate-my-ship-surveys-reveal-disastrous-morale-on-cruiser-shiloh/

The Navy Times article made me really sad.

My congresswoman is super active on the subject of veteran mental health and suicide, there needs to be an investigation of punitive actions against people who report suicidal thoughts.

I've had a CO who basically decided "yeah, we're not going to do a climate survey right now" because he knew he would be loving crucified in it.

I'm pretty surprised that you can get those surveys via a FOIA request, though.

Godholio posted:

If you're dumb enough to attach your name, the point can become what the Air Force was calling "force shaping" in a "fiscally constrained and overmanned environment."

There's nowhere to even put your name on the survey, unless you specifically write in the comments "I'm BM3 Fuckwad and I think the CO should eat a bag of dicks."

Even if they do that, all the responses get processed by the Big Navy CMEO office or whatever it is (DEOCS?) and that sort of comment should be filtered out before it gets presented back to the command.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say the Navy does a lot of things better than the AF.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say the Navy does a lot of things better than the AF.

I remember hearing a saying that went "If there's not a rule forbidding it, you can do it in the Navy. In the Air Force, just assume it's written down somewhere, and don't do it."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 11, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The sad stuff about how assbackwards that ship is. drat

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Always fun to see a name I recognize in a times article even if it isn't about him.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

There's nowhere to even put your name on the survey, unless you specifically write in the comments "I'm BM3 Fuckwad and I think the CO should eat a bag of dicks."

Even if they do that, all the responses get processed by the Big Navy CMEO office or whatever it is (DEOCS?) and that sort of comment should be filtered out before it gets presented back to the command.
You do, however, put your rank and ethnicity. If you happen to be the only black/Asian/whatever E8 or O1 does that not narrow down your identity to the CO?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

DinosaurWarfare posted:

You do, however, put your rank and ethnicity. If you happen to be the only black/Asian/whatever E8 or O1 does that not narrow down your identity to the CO?

I always kind of wondered the same thing, but they actually added some language in the most recent version I saw to address this. It basically says that demographic data isn't correlated with responses, so the CO doesn't get told "100% of the female E-8's in your command have very low confidence in you".

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I remember hearing a saying that went "If there's not a rule forbidding it, you can do it in the Navy. In the Air Force, just assume it's written down somewhere, and don't do it."

It's almost certainly written down. There are so many AFIs, which all have MAJCOM supplementals, which have Wing (sometimes Numbered AF as well) supplementals, and then OGIs to reinterpret all that, then squadron policies, there's no room for innovation anywhere.

Anyway, back to NAVCHAT.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Godholio posted:

It's almost certainly written down. There are so many AFIs, which all have MAJCOM supplementals, which have Wing (sometimes Numbered AF as well) supplementals, and then OGIs to reinterpret all that, then squadron policies, there's no room for innovation anywhere.

Anyway, back to NAVCHAT.

This is making me kind of happy I decided to not go for bombers before the cutoff age because I wasn't sure about eyesight guidelines.

Anyway, speaking of something that sounds like surveys/focus groups were involved: http://screenrant.com/top-gun-2-maverick-navy-modern/

The Navy is very different now than it was in 1986. Back then, they hadn’t been in any war for 15 or 20 years at that point. The tone of that movie and what those guys were doing was very different. Now, here in 2017, the Navy’s been at war for 20 years. It’s just a different world now, so you can’t remake the first movie. It has to adapt. That being said, I certainly want to recreate the experience of that movie, which gives you a front-seat into the world of Naval aviation and what it’s like to be in a fighter jet. The approach is going to be appropriate for the times we live in.

So in other words, every pilot fresh out of the RAG is going to be shorter than Tom Cruise, and all of the middle-aged ones are going to be doing nothing but talking about what airline they want to fly for. Sounds like a really fun movie. And evidently "Maverick" did one hell of a transition when they shitcanned the turkeys: http://screenrant.com/tom-cruise-top-gun-2-helicopter-training/

I guess that puts to rest the belief he'd be an Admiral in the sequel, because helo pilot flag officers are pretty loving rare.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 11, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

DinosaurWarfare posted:

I can tell you that as a CO it would be difficult for me to do this. All ethnicities and gender all get piled into a "minority" response metric for the actual question response data. As for the written comments section I could absolutely identify who people were from time to time. Sometimes it was because they had a very distinctive vocabulary or way of speaking and others it was because they were commenting on specific events or issues that I already knew about.

As for SHILOH, I heard rumblings about CAPT Acok and that ship amongst the CO grapevine in Japan the last few years. I wasn't surprised to read that Navy Times article yesterday morning. loving SWO's man.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

After reading the Shiloh article I'm both not surprised at all and super angry.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The real irony is one of those captains quoted in the article had a really lovely command climate and the post t-shirt climate survey may be part of why he didn't pick up admiral.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is making me kind of happy I decided to not go for bombers before the cutoff age because I wasn't sure about eyesight guidelines.

Anyway, speaking of something that sounds like surveys/focus groups were involved: http://screenrant.com/top-gun-2-maverick-navy-modern/

The Navy is very different now than it was in 1986. Back then, they hadn’t been in any war for 15 or 20 years at that point. The tone of that movie and what those guys were doing was very different. Now, here in 2017, the Navy’s been at war for 20 years. It’s just a different world now, so you can’t remake the first movie. It has to adapt. That being said, I certainly want to recreate the experience of that movie, which gives you a front-seat into the world of Naval aviation and what it’s like to be in a fighter jet. The approach is going to be appropriate for the times we live in.

So in other words, every pilot fresh out of the RAG is going to be shorter than Tom Cruise, and all of the middle-aged ones are going to be doing nothing but talking about what airline they want to fly for. Sounds like a really fun movie. And evidently "Maverick" did one hell of a transition when they shitcanned the turkeys: http://screenrant.com/tom-cruise-top-gun-2-helicopter-training/

I guess that puts to rest the belief he'd be an Admiral in the sequel, because helo pilot flag officers are pretty loving rare.

:laffo:

I hope Kelly McGillis plays his ex-wife claiming his whole retirement and raising their three kids after divorcing him in the Tailhook aftermath, which is also responsible for his career change.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Not to mention how is it in any way plausible that he'd be still flying (as a military member) after 30+ years?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Not to mention how is it in any way plausible that he'd be still flying (as a military member) after 30+ years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0upucZgRTo&t=47s

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I should've clarified in the routine operational sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

I should've clarified in the routine operational sense.

I figured but, I just immediately thought back to those AFN commercials and had to find it to post.