Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its a cool game for like 10 mins but then idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jade Mage posted:

I've got a Stardew question. What's it like from the creative aspect? I love me a good slow paced game, I play Minecraft a lot still despite it being extremely simple. Can I build stuff and make it look pretty in Stardew or is it more a inventory/resource management sim?

A lot of the creative aspect can come from building your farm. Especially with the default farm you have a LOT of space and you can make some very beautiful and functional farms

Tender Bender posted:

I'm super excited for Stardew, this genre seems fun to me but I never really played it. Got Story of the Seasons for 3ds and I liked the idea but the art style and the general flow of each day kind of kept it from clicking for me (the farming was fun but I didn't like the town, or the swimming for bricks, or the rented field thing).

Anything a new player should know before jumping in or is it pretty self-explanatory? Gonna be on a plane so I won't be able to Google tips so any must-know stuff would be appreciated!

Just enjoy it. There is no time limit. after a couple years you are graded on your performance but you can just keep playing and also retrigger the grading thing again. Give fishing a chance, you'll probably end up liking it.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm cautious about it. Looks interesting but slow. I'm 35, married, with a child. Don't got tons of time these days

its one of those games you can probably play 10 minutes at a time and thats just fine

Dr Cheeto posted:

How critical is it to manage your crops in a timely manner? Will they rot in the field if I don't harvest and tend to them quickly?

you've got plenty of time to harvest them. just keep them watered. your crops die when the season changes. also, crows can pick at them if ou don't put up a scarecrow nearby.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The standard farm is probably the best one to use as it gives the most land for crops. The mining one is helpful at the beginning, but once you start going into the mine you'll outpace it and not need it. At least that's what I thought.

However, just pick whichever you think looks coolest. You guys are going to love Stardew. It's addictive and has so much charm and personality. I LOVE the soundtrack.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the standard farm probably is the best, but he is also right, just pick the one you like the most

I don't use all the farmland ever myself, so I do forest because I just think it looks really nice

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think Stardew will be my after-Mario purchase to keep me occupied over the winter.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I made the majority of my money in Stardew from fishing. Unlike crops which have a pretty steady slope of income as you get more efficient at tending to the land, income from fishing tends to spike and plateau pretty regularly.

It's a pretty entertaining little mini-game too but after about a year you realize that you've seen virtually every permutation of it and will never want to touch it again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In Picross there's a method where you can eliminate squares from possibility in certain corners that I'm having trouble explaining. Cause once it was explained to me I kind of started doing it without even thinking.

Anyone know the name of it and can post an explanation? I want to explain it to a co-worker who is having trouble with puzzles I breezed through. He's claiming he has had to guess which I don't think happens in these games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

In Picross there's a method where you can eliminate squares from possibility in certain corners that I'm having trouble explaining. Cause once it was explained to me I kind of started doing it without even thinking.

Anyone know the name of it and can post an explanation? I want to explain it to a co-worker who is having trouble with puzzles I breezed through. He's claiming he has had to guess which I don't think happens in these games.

i just kind of know how to do it, but if he is guessing its because he is missing an important thing he can definitely fill in or mark off

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There was an explanation on the 3ds thread like, two years ago but I can't remember.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How does Stardew control on Switch? I remember the controller settings being a bit poo poo on PC and that the game still clearly felt like it was designed for M&K.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

SeANMcBAY posted:

How does Stardew control on Switch? I remember the controller settings being a bit poo poo on PC and that the game still clearly felt like it was designed for M&K.

I played 100% with controller on pc and thought it was totally fine :shrug:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Is that even good? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything positive about it.

It's not great but I'm still really excited for Shakedown Hawaii.

I guess to back that up the fundamentals were there but the writing was 90% meme jokes and movie quotes, and the map was too small.

E: Honestly I would have bought it for $30 with all that stuff but not $45

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 5, 2017

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Pretty good! Controls a lot like console Terraria. Only the menus are a little unintuitive and take some getting used to.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'd love to pull the trigger on Earth Atlantis, but I know I'll have to wait a while before reviews come out for it. I wish the Switch had the 3DS rating system in place for games like this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

PantsBandit posted:

I played 100% with controller on pc and thought it was totally fine :shrug:

It just bothered me how with some actions you basically had to use the control stick as a mouse pointer. Hopefully they can add touch screen support.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I played stardew for about 20 minutes on pc and was bored to tears

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

PowerBeard posted:

I'd love to pull the trigger on Earth Atlantis, but I know I'll have to wait a while before reviews come out for it. I wish the Switch had the 3DS rating system in place for games like this.

Likewise. Anyone pulled the trigger on this? Any impressions?

TomVanDam
Apr 25, 2010
Been playing stardew on the sofa while watching YouTube, looked out the window and theres the harvest moon looking back at me. Hell of an ad campaign.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

poo poo I keep looking out my window and getting the angry Majora's Mask moon

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I keep getting my neighbor's bare rear end.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Stardew port has seemed great so far, though only put a few in-game days in. Have noticed one bug playing Prairie King with a NES30 Pro, the right stick aims in very wrong directions.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Stardew definitely fun and relaxing so far. I wish the default run speed was faster but I like everything else about it so far.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

grand theft grotto posted:

Stardew definitely fun and relaxing so far. I wish the default run speed was faster but I like everything else about it so far.

If it was faster you'd never appreciate getting a horse!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
so I'm like hey let's get XCX digital because I'll have to download the data packs anyway, surely the price will be much lower tha- SIXETY DORRARU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Kawabata posted:

so I'm like hey let's get XCX digital because I'll have to download the data packs anyway, surely the price will be much lower tha- SIXETY DORRARU

As someone who bought this on release, make sure buying it is really, definitely something you wanna do. It's... a mixed experience

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I can't believe I bought this stupid Mario XCOM and that it's actually kind of good.

Re: Stardew, diving into the mines early is a great investment. Sprinklers save you a massive amount of time and stamina, and the ore to make them is relatively plentiful after a few levels of the mines.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Imagine EDF on Switch so it's portable with split screen coop and local 4 player multi-Switch play in addition to online play

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Not a Children posted:

As someone who bought this on release, make sure buying it is really, definitely something you wanna do. It's... a mixed experience

Is that so? I've heard about the story not being as "good" (lol) as XC1 but everyone who played it told me the gameplay is even better with a host of qol improvements the predecessor obviously didn't have.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Imagine EDF on Switch so it's portable with split screen coop and local 4 player multi-Switch play in addition to online play

The Vita EDF games were awesome and it would definitely be a buy from me.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I like your imagination. Dare I say that EDF would be....perfect on the Switch? :grin:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kawabata posted:

Is that so? I've heard about the story not being as "good" (lol) as XC1 but everyone who played it told me the gameplay is even better with a host of qol improvements the predecessor obviously didn't have.

You'll enjoy it, in that case.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

You'll enjoy it, in that case.

I've already seen the mannequin dead faces and the occasional out of the blue full volume soundtrack during cutscenes. They're minor stuff to me, story is kind of poo poo anyway in most JRPGs so if the mechanics are as good as they say I can't wait to play it.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Go on...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kawabata posted:

I've already seen the mannequin dead faces and the occasional out of the blue full volume soundtrack during cutscenes. They're minor stuff to me, story is kind of poo poo anyway in most JRPGs so if the mechanics are as good as they say I can't wait to play it.

The main story is incredibly loving dumb but the sidequests have a lot of entertaining storytelling in them. On-foot exploration is fun. Giant robot exploration, despite what you might think is... not as fun.

But really the environments are super pretty and fun to run around in. If the groan-inducing story doesn't bother you, you'll have a hell of a time!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

lelandjs posted:

Degoose Ex: Gosling Revolution
Hitgoose: Brood Money
The Last of Goose
Gooseman: Honkam Asylum
Dishonkored
Gooseassan’s Feed

There, I think that’s all the rest of the stealth game goose puns to be made. Unless someone wants to egg me on.

DEREK SMART'S GANDER COMMANDER

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Super Mario Run is 50% off until October 12th. That puts it into "why not?" territory.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[quote="“Dr. VooDoo”" post="“477088708”"]
Imagine EDF on Switch so it’s portable with split screen coop and local 4 player multi-Switch play in addition to online play
[/quote]

And also imagine that the fan runs so fast that the battery dies in 10 seconds flat

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

The main story is incredibly loving dumb but the sidequests have a lot of entertaining storytelling in them. On-foot exploration is fun. Giant robot exploration, despite what you might think is... not as fun.

But really the environments are super pretty and fun to run around in. If the groan-inducing story doesn't bother you, you'll have a hell of a time!

I'm about to finish XC and yes the setting might be more interesting but the story isn't great here either, full of JRPG clichés and overlong. The thing is XC also has absolutely poo poo sidequests that will make you headbutt the wall, terrible graphics even taking the release year into consideration and a menu interface that actively makes your life worse at every step. Gameplay is obviously still top notch but all the hype surrounding XC1 (vs XCX) kinda falls flat for me.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There was an explanation on the 3ds thread like, two years ago but I can't remember.

That was me in the eshop thread:

Mr Phillby posted:

Don't forget to check the corners of the grid. The edges make it easier to narrow down the possibilities.
Eg:
code:
  10 10 5...
code:
  10 10
2[x]
2[x]
Whenever I get stuck on a big puzzle there's normally a corner I haven't looked at.

Mr Phillby posted:

[quote="greatn" post="453533119"]
I don't understand what you did here, as someone who has played every Picross game with no hints.
[/quote
Those are check marks, not filled squares. The ten in the first column can't exist in those two squares because the 2,2,1 would break the 10 in the second row. Basically by starting from the corner you can eliminate squares based on the relationship between rows.

A real world example:

I know that this square can be crossed because:

Filling it would create a 3 in the second row.

It mainly applies against corners and edges, but it's a useful little bit of logic to bear in mind.
Hope this is still helpful :^)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Mr Phillby posted:

That was me in the eshop thread:

Hope this is still helpful :^)

ah interesting. i havent needed this so far but it will probably come in handy eventually

• Locked thread