Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

No, it wasn't the period of your life in which you enjoyed Star Trek the most. Which is what I think a lot of you are actually after. The problem is that you want the moon on a stick.

That is never happening, grow up.
There is a show on television right now that feels like star trek and it ain't this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just because it starts a bit dark doesn't mean it's going to stay that way. This is just part of one story.

I'm liking STD so far, and think it will get better, but I don't honestly think it's gonna stop being dark. Maybe not war 100% of the time, and probably less prison stuff for people to get mad at, but still pretty dreary like what Ep 3 was mostly like.

Not that I think that's bad and/or bad for a new interpretation of Trek, but I'm not kidding myself by thinking this show's gonna turn into adventure fun times soon.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Atreiden posted:

Lol can you link some of that?

It's a pain because I can't see an obvious way to limit the search by date on google groups.

But here's alt.tv.star-trek - https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/alt.tv.star-trek

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

The Bloop posted:

CBS has apparently announced that due to "success" with All Access subscription numbers, they are changing the airdate schedule.

Instead of showing 8 then 7 episodes, they will now air 9 then 6!

What the gently caress is this and why do they think it matters? Doesn't this mess with the whole serial nature? Did they not have a mid-season break mini-cliffhanger or anything?

idgi

My thinking is that they did the math and saw that if everyone started with a 7-day trial, and then went month-to-month, they'd only get two months of payments before people might cancel for the break. With an extra episode before the break, people would have to stay subscribed for a whole third month to watch it.

:capitalism:

EDIT: Upon doing the math myself, it seems the series was always set up that way to begin with. So at least now you get two whole episodes when paying for an entire month!

Doggles fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 5, 2017

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

[quote="“Ventana”" post="“477083639”"]
I’m liking STD so far, and think it will get better, but I don’t honestly think it’s gonna stop being dark. Maybe not war 100% of the time, and probably less prison stuff for people to get mad at, but still pretty dreary like what Ep 3 was mostly like.

Not that I think that’s bad and/or bad for a new interpretation of Trek, but I’m not kidding myself by thinking this show’s gonna turn into adventure fun times soon.
[/quote]

The show runner man did say that the Klingon war storyline was just for the first season, and that season two would be less dark. It was on that awful "After Trek" thing that auto plays after Discovery on Netflix.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The Bloop posted:

CBS has apparently announced that due to "success" with All Access subscription numbers, they are changing the airdate schedule.

What the gently caress is this and why do they think it matters? Doesn't this mess with the whole serial nature? Did they not have a mid-season break mini-cliffhanger or anything?

idgi

They are trying to get an extra month out of subscribers on the front side before they cancel.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

marktheando posted:

The show runner man did say that the Klingon war storyline was just for the first season, and that season two would be less dark. It was on that awful "After Trek" thing that auto plays after Discovery on Netflix.

gently caress twd for making this a thing

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Bloop posted:

idgi
That's a bit odd

Also I hate this break thing and I hope they don't encourage others to do it

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Same old toxic fans, same old complaints. Only the replica bridge crew uniform they wear while posting changes.

I started watching Trek in 2013 and i think STD is bad, so... :shrug:

Feel free to mail me a replica uniform though, i would love to have one.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Ramadu posted:

I had no idea he was gay honestly I guess they shoulda given him a space lisp or something

whats so funny about a spathe lithp buthter?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

marktheando posted:

Prestige TV has killed itself, STD was the murder weapon.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Frionnel posted:

I started watching Trek in 2013 and i think STD is bad, so... :shrug:

Feel free to mail me a replica uniform though, i would love to have one.

Yeah but you're probably an old person with bad opinions inculcated from decades of immersion in a toxic society, soooooo...

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Calling DS9 not Star Trek is silly. I mean it isn't GOOD Star Trek but it is still Trek.

(To clarify, the show is good, better than most series including probably all other trek series, but it isn't good at being a trek series)

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Is DS9 like most trek in that it was lovely for a season or two? Cause I watched a few eps of the first season and boy was it boring.

*insert dig at std being on track to be like most star trek then*

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Is DS9 like most trek in that it was lovely for a season or two? Cause I watched a few eps of the first season and boy was it boring.

*insert dig at std being on track to be like most star trek then*

Season one was moderately weak and about half of it was safely skippable.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I don't mind the start but it becomes a whole different sort of show later on.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
It's the Beard Rule. Just like TNG was bad until Riker got a beard, DS9 is bad until Sisko shaves his head and rocks the goatee.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The Bloop posted:

More like you order a hamburger and get a mediocre pizza.

Now, even mediocre pizza is worth eating, and there is really nothing wrong with this particular pizza, but you already had pizza for lunch, and more importantly, you ordered a hamburger.

To continue the metaphor/simile:

I like this pizza. It's not bad pizza. But there is a lot of pizza out there. Everyplace is serving pizza nowadays. There is only one burger joint in the whole town and I just ordered a burger with realistic hopes of having a great burger experience, and they brought a pizza. The pizza is good, but since there is only ONE place that even advertises burgers, my hopes of getting a burger are now lessened and I might have to merely enjoy pizza while pining for a burger that will never come.

Luckily, someone just opened up an Orville Dogs in the next town and while a hot dog isn't a burger, it just might satiate that desire while we continue to scarf grimdark ductch-angled darkened pizza nonstop.

Hey Lovely Joe Stalin, I'm not sold on STD but can I switch teams?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Just finished episode 3 of Discovery, and I thought it was pretty good. It raises a lot of questions that I'm interested in learning more about, and I think the shady captain is intriguing.

I'm a little annoyed that Michael's mistakes aren't a little more clear-cut, though. For example, the other prisoner blamed her for the death of people on the Europa, but she wasn't responsible for that at all. Sure, she mutinied, but the mutiny immediately failed, and everything that followed was unrelated to the mutiny. Yes, her captain died, but that wasn't her fault. Yes, she probably shouldn't have killed the Klingon, but bad judgement in a tense situation isn't a crime.

I mean, she should definitely be court-martialed for the mutiny and she should regret it, but I don't see how anything that happened afterwards actually resulted from the mutiny.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

DorianGravy posted:

Just finished episode 3 of Discovery, and I thought it was pretty good. It raises a lot of questions that I'm interested in learning more about, and I think the shady captain is intriguing.

I'm a little annoyed that Michael's mistakes aren't a little more clear-cut, though. For example, the other prisoner blamed her for the death of people on the Europa, but she wasn't responsible for that at all. Sure, she mutinied, but the mutiny immediately failed, and everything that followed was unrelated to the mutiny. Yes, her captain died, but that wasn't her fault. Yes, she probably shouldn't have killed the Klingon, but bad judgement in a tense situation isn't a crime.

I mean, she should definitely be court-martialed for the mutiny and she should regret it, but I don't see how anything that happened afterwards actually resulted from the mutiny.

That's been my main contention with the pilot double episode. It had two jobs, set up Michael's character arc and introduce the ideological conflict with the Klingons. And it kind of bungled both.

So now every time a character says something like "this is your war" or "you got my friends killed" I'm gonna wince a little.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

DorianGravy posted:

Yup, the plotline would make so much more sense if Michael had actually fired on the klingons during the brief mutiny. Yes the klingons were always going to attack, but from starfleet's perspective they would blame Michael for starting the conflict. Everything would make sense if they would have just had her fire successfully, but as it is none of it really makes sense when people harp on her. Even starfleet giving a life sentence feels really weird since there was always such a point made about starfleet focusing so much on soft rehabilitation, but if she fired first, and everyone really has reason to think she started the war, its easier to see how pissed they'd all be.

As it is, she did nothing, nothing at all, then the klingons fired first.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey Lovely Joe Stalin, I'm not sold on STD but can I switch teams?

I offer safe passage for all refugees who seek shelter from that metaphor.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm pretty sure people who don't like DS9 for "not being Trek" also think the first two seasons of TNG were the best seasons. Or somehow managed to not see any of the critically acclaimed TNG episodes ever.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol if you don't think that DS9 was the best Trek

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

DorianGravy posted:

Rumors about her have spread. People do this all the time, they don't know the full story and are mistaken about what happened. All they know is there was a big battle with the Klingons and the ship that was there first had a mutiny right before the battle started. They don't understand all of this had nothing to do with her mutiny.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

It reminds me a little of the situations with the Tin Man guy or Ensign Ro, both of whom hosed up at some point and people hated them for it, despite not necessarily having a clear picture of what actually happened.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Re-watched some scenes from episode 3, and this time I noticed that Saru dumps salt in his tea. :3:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Bubbacub posted:

Did they find a clone of Wayne Alexander from B5 to play Saru? The voice acting sounds identical, and the face really reminds me of Lorien.

I got more Kryten vibes from him.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Nullsmack posted:

Rumors about her have spread. People do this all the time, they don't know the full story and are mistaken about what happened. All they know is there was a big battle with the Klingons and the ship that was there first had a mutiny right before the battle started. They don't understand all of this had nothing to do with her mutiny.

Sure but it's never presented like that. Saru and Lorca talk about it the same way as everyone else and they're both in no position to be misinformed, Burham even corrects the prisoner's casualty numbers. I'd buy the rumours angle more if there were some more ambiguity but everyone seems to have the same story.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You guys do remember that she killed T'Kuvma, right? The leader of the now unified Klingon Empire? The guy that she herself believed killing was a mistake (before stupid emotions kicked in) because it would inevitably lead to war? And that everyone knows she killed him?

That might have something to do with everyone blaming her for the war.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Comrade Fakename posted:

Why do people even give a gently caress about the shuttle pilot? You don't see what happens to her because it doesn't matter.

Because the shuttle pilot was me irl if I were in this universe.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Kibayasu posted:

You guys do remember that she killed T'Kuvma, right? The leader of the now unified Klingon Empire? The guy that she herself believed killing was a mistake (before stupid emotions kicked in) because it would inevitably lead to war? And that everyone knows she killed him?

You mean the Klingon she killed after the war had begun and everyone was already dead? Killing him changed nothing.

I know what the writers were going for there but they messed up their causation.

It's not show breaking but it's why it feels so unsatisfying.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kibayasu posted:

The problem with that is she was the only reason they didn't flat out try to kill them all with bombs. If it would have been up to the starfleet captain he would have been dead anyways, and this is all after starfleet already lost the battle, the europa already destroyed. They can tell us all day long, and have every character under the sun talk about how she caused this war, but they never showed that, and in fact showed us the exact opposite of that.

Its just extra frustrating because they had the perfect setup for her whole backstory, they just needed to have the captain recover from the neck pinch 10 seconds later. Give us that and everything locks into place without every character tripping over their dialogue to tell us over and over how she started this war.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Sure but it's never presented like that. Saru and Lorca talk about it the same way as everyone else and they're both in no position to be misinformed, Burham even corrects the prisoner's casualty numbers. I'd buy the rumours angle more if there were some more ambiguity but everyone seems to have the same story.

Not really? Saru and Lorca just blame her for being a mutineer and getting her captain killed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It's as if the writers didn't think out the internal logic of their show and just move from action scene to CGI action scene

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Lizard Combatant posted:

You mean the Klingon she killed after the war had begun and everyone was already dead? Killing him changed nothing.

Except that whole turning him into a martyr instead of a disgraced captive thing, which is explicitly and lengthily explained prior to them boarding the ship.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Flatscan posted:

Except that whole turning him into a martyr instead of a disgraced captive thing, which is explicitly and lengthily explained prior to them boarding the ship.

That should have happened before the other klingon houses joined the cause.

As it plays out the war has already started, the other houses are already onboard by this point.

They have 3 options, only 1 of which has a possibility for a different outcome (as presented in the show)

1) do nothing - war continues
2) kill him - war continues
3) capture him - the war ends maybe? Possible deescalation at least.

By having this scene happen where it does it robs it of its impact since it has the same effect as doing nothing in the context of the episode since what happens after or any offscreen political ramifications are not seen or discussed.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Michael technically didn't start the war (the Klingons were explicitly there to start one, and would have regardless of what had happened). But the betrayal of her mutiny was huge, and then immediately after that she hosed up their one chance to immediately end the conflict by killing T'Kuvma.

It's perfectly understandable that these events would become conflated in the popular opinion of her actions.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Lizard Combatant posted:

That should have happened before the other klingon houses joined the cause.

As it plays out the war has already started, the other houses are already onboard by this point.

They have 3 options, only 1 of which has a possibility for a different outcome (as presented in the show)

1) do nothing - war continues
2) kill him - war continues
3) capture him - the war ends maybe? Possible deescalation at least.

By having this scene happen where it does it robs it of its impact since it has the same effect as doing nothing in the context of the episode since what happens after or any offscreen political ramifications are not seen or discussed.

Nope. It makes Michael genuinely responsible for the continuation of the war, at least in part, rather than entirely blameless as she would be if they'd done nothing.
The same way that she would have been entirely and solely to blame if Tom Guycot up there had his way and Michael firing first had been the spark that started the war.
Both of you seem to want some simple black or white, good or bad dichotomy, but unfortunately for you the writers seem to be going for something a little more morally ambiguous than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Flatscan posted:

Nope. It makes Michael genuinely responsible for the continuation of the war, at least in part, rather than entirely blameless as she would be if they'd done nothing.
The same way that she would have been entirely and solely to blame if Tom Guycot up there had his way and Michael firing first had been the spark that started the war.
Both of you seem to want some simple black or white, good or bad dichotomy, but unfortunately for you the writers seem to be going for something a little more morally ambiguous than that.

Theres nothing ambiguous, they're having every character left and right tell us how bad she is, how to blame she is, how the war is all her fault as this terrible mutineer. The problem is its unearned with the story, she had a 30 second mutiny that didn't do anything, accomplish anything, change anything, have any effect period on anything. If she actually did something, anything at all, it would make sense, as it is it just feels poorly written.