Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Treasure hunting is just half-baked in genral.

Either the size/cost of the army should affect things, or armies should be cut of the process entirely and only heroes should be allowed to hunt treasure.

Yeah, it seems more geared towards a single hero unit doing it instead of a entire army since nothing ever attacks you from the events, just attach it to the scout ruin option that already exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
In my first day playing I honestly thought the ruin exploring mechanic was an elaborate troll and didn't actually exist, since every time I took Mazdamundi up to search for loot, "Surprise! It's me, Toxer!"

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
started queek campaign

I like it, very goblin like

also these wood elves need to gently caress right off

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

I seem to recall someone mentioning there's actually a hotkey that will cause cav to cycle charge. Anyone happen to remember what that was?

:psyboom:

This needs to be in the OP.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Turned graphics up from ~medium to ultra and the campaign screen is suddenly smooth as butter instead of hitching all the time.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I know mortal empires is a thing, but I'm wondering if they'll ever let us play old world races on the vortex map. Factions like the Vampire Coast and the New World Colonies just have an odd distinctiveness in their start positions and banners and such that make them far more interesting than they should be.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hardly do treasure hunts, but they are kinda neat. I'm usually trying to get past the stack takes the most dmg ever for colonizing hit as fast as possible. I usually make a empty lord just to colonize cause if someone rolls up, your dead.

NewMars posted:

I know mortal empires is a thing, but I'm wondering if they'll ever let us play old world races on the vortex map.

Bet it's gonna only be dlc races that have some reason to try to take the vortex.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 6, 2017

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Treasure hunts are so stupidly bad when you compare them to how good the sea version is.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got a lizard named Ss'impssyn.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

NewMars posted:

I know mortal empires is a thing, but I'm wondering if they'll ever let us play old world races on the vortex map. Factions like the Vampire Coast and the New World Colonies just have an odd distinctiveness in their start positions and banners and such that make them far more interesting than they should be.

i feel like there's so few races remaining that even if they include stuff like araby they're going to have to rehash a few races from 1 and if they do vampire coast seems logical since they have enough differences from base vampire counts* to justify it

i could see them doing a dlc/freelc that has a pack of LLs for the vortex campaign that use mostly old-world rosters, with it maybe being free if you own 1

*zombie pirates with one-shot pistols (too stupid to reload them), cannons, zombie monkeys and parrots; presumably some sort of expanded naval system like dark elves and black arks

e: also their boss luthor harkon would have a reason to go for the vortex - his brain got partially melted and partially fused with infinity by some lizardmen poo poo which made him nuts and he wants a way to fix his brain

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 6, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Morathi's starting hydra is just the business.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I thought I would absolutely hate Skaven, I never usually go for quantity over quality.

I don't think I've been that wrong in a long time.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Krazyface posted:

Ss'impssyn, eh?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Best results I've gotten from treasure hunts were 20% research for 5 turns, 750g or a couple turns worth of ritual currency with some major penalties for choosing wrong.

I actually got a Warlock engineer really early on from a ruins.

I'm curious how fast you can reasonably complete the ritual. I imagine it takes a bit of luck- getting quests you can easily compete, capturing all the cities with ritual currency, and running your Lord quests ASAP.

Though if you do manage to pull it off you'll get a ton of initiative. Not just for the ritual bonuses, but also all the experience from fighting off enemy stacks.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i got 250 ritual doohickeys from a ruin on like turn 10 once which let me start the first ritual really fast, which is effectively 5000 gold from the quest

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Krazyface posted:

Multiple times I've gotten a Sorceress called "Evyl-Lyn", and every time I've started imagining Malakith speaking his lines as Skeletor.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Got a Skink priest named Ec-chi.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Third World Reggin posted:

started queek campaign

I like it, very goblin like

also these wood elves need to gently caress right off

Skaven are just superior goblins when you think about it

Scales inferior, fur superior by the way

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Dumping clanrats on elven archers from behind just never. gets. old.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Anyone else think its kinda weird Dark Elves keep their weird slaughter mechanic in multi but Skaven don't keep Meance Below.

Wanna summon clanrats without bringing a Plague caster :negative: Ruin has all the iconic Skaveny poo poo.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I had a city under siege by one faction and then another faction came and attacked the city, but only the lord with the army there came to the battle, not the garrison of the city under siege.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The menace below would be insanely busted in multiplayer though. It lets you shut down artillery or other squishy stuff literally at will, regardless of positioning.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
that plus the suicide rat bomb thing you get in provinces with defenses is insane, by the way

blew up an entire unit of phoenix guard for basically free (one mb, one bomb)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Menace Below

more like

The Balance B-lown!!!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pendent posted:

The menace below would be insanely busted in multiplayer though. It lets you shut down artillery or other squishy stuff literally at will, regardless of positioning.

Yeah, it would be pretty great.

You could probably do charges of it as an expensive lord ability, like 1k a pop, which would give it some trade offs though I understand why they didn't do it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Tiler Kiwi posted:

that plus the suicide rat bomb thing you get in provinces with defenses is insane, by the way

blew up an entire unit of phoenix guard for basically free (one mb, one bomb)

It's the best thing. The AI literally rushes everything nearby to deal with the clan rats, then BOOM, everything is dead.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
I am not sure how I missed until now that executing captives only gets you one turn of +100 xp as lizardmen

unless it's skaven, in which case sotek is on that poo poo like snakes on the hideous ratling abominations

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Kaza42 posted:

Ss'impssyn, eh?

Sounds like a mod, eh?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Ze Pollack posted:

I am not sure how I missed until now that executing captives only gets you one turn of +100 xp as lizardmen

unless it's skaven, in which case sotek is on that poo poo like snakes on the hideous ratling abominations

When you're born from the biggest murder-orgy of rats the world has ever seen, you develop a taste for it.

Fun lore fact! Said mass-sacrifice has been burned into the collective Skaven psyche down to a primal level. In Age of Sigmar the first horde of Skaven to witness the reappearance of the reborn Seraphon Lizardmen promptly suffered near fatal cases of PTSD flashbacks to Sotek's birth and freaked out hard enough that even the Great Horned Rat felt a twinge of fear as he realised "OH poo poo THEY'RE BACK".

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Things suddenly went to poo poo on turn 80 of Kroq's campaign.

Through allies or conquest I own pretty much the whole Southlands bar some lovely Vamp enclaves that need cleaning up, but I think I spread myself too thin and was a bit too ambitious in painting the map. The first two rituals had me just defending my starting province which was easy enough, but ritual three came with it defending two other ritual sites halfway across the continent in addition to the Temple of Skulls, plus the High Elfs decided to send an intervention after me that was a 20-strong stack of nothing but dragons.

So my economy is still strong and the game isn't lost but I feel a strong urge to restart anyway because...it's just not optimal? Spreading out into the desert was a huge mistake and felt like a bad habit left over from TW1. Might take this chance to try out another race I haven't played yet. Still 0 complete campaigns under my belt.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
age of sigmar is NOT MY LORE

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
High elves are nuts with their Sea Guards and archers, you just rain arrows.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
109 turns or so in my Queek Campaign and I finally have Kroq-Gar on the ropes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Just saw a Lizardman lord named Hybis'Kis lol

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've seen one called Cloa'ca.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

NewMars posted:

Until then you can always use this*
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158985864&searchtext=

*Rituals, Beatsmen, Norsca, Woodelves & RORs are broke.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
also sometimes when you order around rats they say something like "rakity ruk" or something

every time i hear it it reminds me of this dumb loving singing

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
"Squirt musk of command!" when Skaven capture a city has gotta be the grossest one I've heard so far.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fuckin' Necrarch Brotherhood and the Strygos Empire have been a thorn in my side for so long as High Elfs, and they keep sending tons of stacks to Ulthuan just to get murdered by my single defending stack. Tomb Kings and Araby can't come fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So is Skaven territorial expansion basically just you running out of food unless you're selective about where you settle?

I took over the whole of the Southlands as Queek, and despite owning an entire content I had like -20 food per turn because I could no longer raid easily and there weren't really armies to fight except the ritual spawns.