Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I basically want:
-Significantly higher mining tax.
-If we can't fortify the JP, Earth can't fortify their side either. We get to jump into Nova Sol occasionally to verify this.
-Earth gives us their data on Nova Sol in advance. I still don't trust Earth and this part smells fishy.

Ed: Fish's proposal would be a pretty good deal, to the extent Earth will probably say no. We can give it a shot and revert to the above as our dealbreakers if they don't take it.

Fray fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah I'm with Fray and WetFish. I'm not sure if that counts as a 1A or a 2B, but the thing about getting Nova Sol data before any deal is critical. They're totally willing to let us know what's in Nova Sol, but not until the deal is set in stone? I'm getting heavy implications that there's something we'll see that will make us want to change the deal, and they want the ink dry so we can't.

Earth has a proven track record of trying to screw us out of cool poo poo via lies of omission, let's please not let them do it here.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
the best part of option 1 C is that everything is simple & hard verifiable relatively easily. No needing to station ships in UT space to keep an eye on things. We'll play ball but we hell don't trust them and don't need to. It's getting us everything we need in fortified jump points, reasonable tax & tonnage limits in a package I think United Terra will find acceptable

They get their space, we get ours. Anything coming through the fortified gate that isn't on the list way in advance gets annihilated. Sometimes simplicity is best

TheWetFish fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 6, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
(Out of character musing: I suspect UT is only so adamant about getting a foothold Ranginui because there's jack poo poo in Nova Sol.)

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like option 1 C is too rich an ask but maybe not far off. Reduced mining tax from 50% to 30%

Fortifications with tonnage limits would be worth it

TheWetFish fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 6, 2017

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

TheWetFish posted:

Sounds like option 3 C is too rich an ask but maybe not far off. Reduced mining tax from 50% to 30%

Fortifications with tonnage limits would be worth it

Sounds good. Saros came on discord and we did some haggling. This looks like the best deal we can swing.

Ed: I guess this qualifies as a vote for 1C.

Fray fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 6, 2017

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

On another point, we realised we'd not made an upgraded Gallileo yet, so I whipped one up quickly

code:
Kepler class Fighter    500 tons     3 Crew     247.9 BP      TCS 9.99  TH 17.28  EM 0
7207 km/s     Armour 3-5     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Maint Life 5.76 Years     MSP 78    AFR 7%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 4    5YR 60    Max Repair 110 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 0.1 months    Spare Berths 1    

Woods Engineering Company 24 EP Ion Drive (3)    Power 24    Fuel Use 336.02%    Signature 5.76    Exp 20%
Fuel Capacity 5 000 Litres    Range 0.5 billion km   (20 hours at full power)

Active Search Sensor MR27-R7 (50%) (1)     GPS 515     Range 27.2m km    Resolution 7
Active Search Sensor MR4-R1 (50%) (1)     GPS 30     Range 4.1m km    MCR 448k km    Resolution 1

This design is classed as a Fighter for production, combat and maintenance purposes
Paces with other fighters, 3 armour, can detect fighters out to 27m km and missiles 0.5m km away.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
I'm putting my hat in the ring for 2A because screw you Earth.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Going 1C so we have some breathing room to build up. We can't take Earth right now, but if we play our cards right we could be on track to overtaking them soon.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 6, 2017

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Edit: changed my vote to 1C

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 6, 2017

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Hessi posted:

A1, with the added demand that UTs side of the Ranganui-Sol Nova JP cannot be fortified either, with ample inspectors on both sides

1A, with Hessi's proviso.

Fray posted:

Sounds good. Saros came on discord and we did some haggling. This looks like the best deal we can swing.

Ed: I guess this qualifies as a vote for 2B.

On second thought I'll go with this. Plan Wetfish, whichever number that works out as.

Edit:

1C.

BwenGun fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 6, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Edited:

1C now that it's an official option, I guess. I think it's somewhat exploitable, but at least it's bidirectionally exploitable and more easily by us in the short term? Hard to say. Way too tired to think it through coherently. If it's good enough for the Cryo crew, it must not be selling our soul for pennies on the dollar.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 6, 2017

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Fray posted:

This

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah Plan WetFish seems like it's the best we're gonna get, and Earth might even go for it. If they don't, fine we'll just go with the other deal to stop playing Space Lawyer Simulator 2052, but I think we should give it one last try.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah Plan WetFish seems like it's the best we're gonna get, and Earth might even go for it. If they don't, fine we'll just go with the other deal to stop playing Space Lawyer Simulator 2052, but I think we should give it one last try.

Agreed. 2B 1C with TheWetFish's terms, and hopefully there will be explosions in the near future.

Friend Commuter fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 6, 2017

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
I vote for WetFish's terms, whatever number and letter combination the correct one to use for it may be. 1C!

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 6, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Fray posted:

Wetfishes proposal would still come down on the 1 side. Any 2 option has very high odds of the Terrans rejecting your proposal and things escalating out of control. Please Vote 1C if that is what you support.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 6, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

2B

We seem obsessed with making bad deals, so lets just end this. The Terran's think they will roll over us, but lets show them they are sorely mistaken.

frankenfreak posted:

(Out of character musing: I suspect UT is only so adamant about getting a foothold Ranginui because there's jack poo poo in Nova Sol.)

This is what I always assumed and made me think all the "we totally need a base in Nova Sol a waste of time".

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 6, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Willing to try 1C before 1A

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Saros posted:

Wetfishes proposal would still come down on the 1 side. Any 2 option has very high odds of the Terrans rejecting your proposal and things escalating out of control. Please Vote 1C if that is what you support.

In that case I have edited my vote accordingly.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
All this happened because Putin can push us around, we get our own secure system and he can't. We could fight the bully right now and probably lose, or we can go and get a bigger stick

Want to burn some United Terra battleships as they try to run our jump point? Have a shot at sweet xeno technology? Build that advanced fleet we've been after? Option 1 C :hellyeah:

TheWetFish fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 6, 2017

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Yup, fixed mine too.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I also edited my vote. It's not quite as far as I'd push, but if that falls on the side of quick acceptance, its not really worth a much larger argument for only slightly more gain.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I'll switch over to 1C, making a counter-offer that's not total poo poo is far preferable to just kinda rolling over and taking Earth's terms. Sounds like all the 2 options involve shooting which I actually do want to avoid, despite what others may say, so 1C is solid.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, changed mine from 1A to 1C as well.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Fixed my vote.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Changed my vote to 1C

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
1C sounds good enough for me. Here's hoping it doesn't backfire horribly.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Crazycryodude posted:

Sounds like all the 2 options involve shooting which I actually do want to avoid, despite what others may say, so 1C is solid.

Oh we're shooting, just not wasting time on Putin. We'll get to him later, got bigger game to hunt :cthulhu:

What is that damned inner planet hiding?
The inner planet is shrouded in a dense atmosphere of CO2 despite orbiting a punishing 17m km from the sun meaning it whips around every 14 days. It is also superdense at over twice that of Earth and generates a magnetic field while being titally locked to the sun. Every prediction and piece of scientific sense seems to indicate that it should have lost its atmosphere rapidly and lack a magnetic field but there it is, staring back at them

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
1C, but 2A if it fails.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I said Wetfish already but to clarify 1C

Truth Serum
Feb 8, 2012
1C

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
1C, i suppose We really do need to figure out how to stop them just bullying us from now until the end of time, though.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Nick Esasky posted:

We really do need to figure out how to stop them just bullying us from now until the end of time, though.

Easy, shoot them until they stop. Unfortunately, we're not in the best position to do that right now. I still think we could swing it, but a lot of the thread doesn't, so I'm willing to be pragmatic.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Or we figure out how to settle our problems like reasonable people in the face of the infinite cosmos filled with untold riches and greater threats. Certainly will need to get stronger to make Earth see us as equals, but I'm not so convinced war is necessarily inevitable or desireable.

Edit: I guess the first step will be waiting to see how these immediate negotiations go.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Coexistence is fundamentally impossible when they're a fascist, imperialist regime that needs an Other to rally their population against and has to constantly expand to survive. If that changes, then we can revisit the issue, but I don't see the possibility in the current climate.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 6, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Striving to be seen as equals to those chumps on Earth is selling ourselves short. We are clearly superior. :ussr:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
My instinct is 2A, but I'll go with 1C. But only if the Terrans take the offer as is, make it clear there is zero room to be talked down on this deal. 30% is already a lot less than I would like to see, I was thinking 40% would be the minimum we should ask for. But make it very very clear this is our final offer to avoid bloodshed, take it or let the dice fly.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Crazycryodude posted:

Coexistence is fundamentally impossible when they're a fascist, imperialist regime that needs an Other to rally their population against and has to constantly expand to survive. If that changes, then we can revisit the issue, but I don't see the possibility in the current climate.

There are hostile xenos out there, they'd be a far better fit as Those Fuckers than we would. (also everyone needs to constantly expand to survive, otherwise they run out of TNEs and collapse)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Friend Commuter posted:

There are hostile xenos out there, they'd be a far better fit as Those Fuckers than we would. (also everyone needs to constantly expand to survive, otherwise they run out of TNEs and collapse)

Until Azathoth is literally eating souls in full view of Earth (the planet), Those Fuckers right next door that you've already spent decades hyping up are gonna be a way easier target.