Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Every single professional athlete is somewhere on the moron to outright criminal spectrum and it amazes me that people don’t immediately assume anyone paid to play sports is a complete creep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

DOOMocrat posted:

Stars lineup from practice:

Jamie Benn – Tyler Seguin – Alexander Radulov
Mattias Janmark – Jason Spezza – Brett Ritchie
Devin Shore – Martin Hanzal – Tyler Pitlick
Antoine Roussel – Radek Faksa – Gemel Smith

Esa Lindell – John Klingberg
Marc Methot – Jamie Oleksiak
Dan Hamhuis – Stephen Johns

Ben Bishop
Kari Lehtonen

It has been... a very long time since every line and pair on a Stars team had someone that could halfway defend on it.

That's a sexy lineup. As you mentioned above, that 3rd line is a 4th line. I'd like to see Johns (or loving anyone) above oleksiak but sheltered minutes will be good for him.

Not 100 percent on what a gemel is or why this lethonen guy has a job (ditto oleksiak) but beyond that I'm loving hyped for this lineup. Just hope hitch doesn't try to use this team as a defensive, grindy snoozfest.

E: shiiiit, I forgot like the best part.

LOOK AT THIS FIRST UNIT PP AND WEEEEEEEEEEP

Benn Seguin Radulov
Spezza Klingberg

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

The Golden Man posted:

Every single professional athlete is somewhere on the moron to outright criminal spectrum and it amazes me that people don’t immediately assume anyone paid to play sports is a complete creep

your worldview will be shattered when you meet ron hainsey

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

JoelJoel posted:

Not 100 percent on what a gemel is

Gemel Smith is the typical "This guy will never make the ECHL this guy will never make the AHL this guy will never make the NHL" very small forward. He's got sick puckhandling skills & is a good pass picker, if not a man to man player.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

dubnyk started off the season with The Best Save in Hockey

https://twitter.com/SportsQuotient/status/916121247213375488

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even better in that video is Dumba getting clowned on the rush.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

DOOMocrat posted:

Gemel Smith is the typical "This guy will never make the ECHL this guy will never make the AHL this guy will never make the NHL" very small forward. He's got sick puckhandling skills & is a good pass picker, if not a man to man player.

Good! Thanks!

In exchange I present you the fist photo of Hitch that comes up on google:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Nobody talked about how Ray Emery is a probably piece of poo poo?

Dissapointed, I loved his game and how he fought back to keep playing with his bone disease. Not shocked mind you.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2737017-report-ray-emery-arrested-in-sept-for-assaulting-keshia-chante-with-weapon

Sad but not the most surprising thing, my friends from Ottawa had some stories to tell about him around town and none of them were complimentary.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCSN/status/916354468911992832

The new arena is a great success, Doc is excited to be here

:3:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Golden Man posted:

Ken Dryden is basically the only athlete I can think of who isn't a complete idiot or a criminal.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ken Dryden is basically the only athlete I can think of who isn't a complete idiot or a criminal.

Theres that mathematics genius who played in the NFL i think for the ravens maybe?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was a member of parliament. He's a criminal.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Current non idiot NHLers: Toews (kinda), Scrivens, J.T. Brown, Darling...

I'm sure there are others but uh

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

He’s a politician there’s no way he hasn’t helped a buddy cover up his son shooting a horse with a pistol or something

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

stab posted:

Theres that mathematics genius who played in the NFL i think for the ravens maybe?

Older, but Pat McInally graduated Harvard, got the only perfect score in the history of the NFL on the Wonderlic test, played for the Bengals, and invented Starting Lineup figures.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

stab posted:

John Urschel?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The one Avalanche rookie this year just graduated from harvard, but he majored in economics and signed with Colorado, so yeah, still dumb.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Powershift posted:

The one Avalanche rookie this year just graduated from harvard, but he majored in economics and signed with Colorado, so yeah, still dumb.

He's a super rich kid. The odds on him having gotten into Harvard on scholastic merit are low.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Have we all forgotten John Scott's engineering degree?

Bloodying your face by day, designing loving bridges by night.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

He was a member of parliament. He's a criminal.

Even worse, a Liberal Party MP

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
George Parros has a degree in Economics from Princeton.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

George Parros has a degree in Economics from Princeton.

His senior thesis was the 99 page thriller "Trouble on the Docks: An Analysis of the Labor Dispute on the West Coast Longshore and its Impact on the American Economy."

Joe Juneau also managed to graduate with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering from RPI in 3 years with a 4.0 GPA despite not speaking English when he started. The oldest Moore brother got a 1590 on his SAT.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 6, 2017

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

business degrees are for Assholes

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Nathan Walker looked awesome in preseason. Good on ya, mate! Most likely Tyler “Graovac” Graovac will sit even though he’s better than DSP (who had a pretty bad turnover last night).

https://t.co/qkpHTmq2lJ

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i'm not impressed with that supposedly good stars lineup

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

a false posted:

If one of those top four D and Bishop either goes down (probable) or doesn't bounce back (not as probable) it all goes to poo poo really quick.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

DOOMocrat posted:

If one of those top four D and Bishop either goes down (probable) or doesn't bounce back (not as probable) it all goes to poo poo really quick.

also oleksiak isn't good. i'm not entirely convinced lindell is good either.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

ehnus posted:

John Urschel?

Hes the one who did that commercial about headphones right?

Edit: yeah thanks fam

Editx2lol jfc of course hes canadian

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

a false posted:

ya I was looking at it and thinking the same thing. The top line is great, Klingberg is fine, but the rest of it is kind of 'whatever' to me. I don't get what the fuss is.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

a false posted:

ya i realized after i praised it that i was really just reacting to seeing radulov in the first line, hamhuis in the 3rd d-pairing, and bishop in net

it's not a perfect roster by any means, but barring any major injuries the stars should have a pretty solid bounceback season after last year imo

edit: in the spirit of posting passing reactions without thinking them through too hard, are the stars the only team that's had a good amount of success in the past few years that actually got better over the offseason? PIT and WSH definitely got worse (though should both still be good). AFAIK a lot of other good teams were flat-to-slightly-down in terms of roster quality vs. last year -- NSH, ANA, SJS, STL, NYR...

e2: and i guess newer "good" teams like EDM and TOR are probably better off just by having their young talent continue to develop, but not necessarily better off in terms of changes to their roster over the offseason

Sharks Eat Bear fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 6, 2017

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
https://twitter.com/LeafsPR/status/916393904592740353

He's been assigned to the Marlies

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Nobody with a contract spot open wanted Pickard? That's kind of odd.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

That seems like a lot of hassle for not a lot of gain for Vegas

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Couldn't the Leafs just claim Pickard when they sent him down the first time or is he waiver exempt? Or did they not want him with the big club?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stars lineup owns and you haters are just bleeding envy.

Also, I miss that silly ginger kid. No, the little one.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Mike_V posted:

Couldn't the Leafs just claim Pickard when they sent him down the first time or is he waiver exempt? Or did they not want him with the big club?

if they claimed him when he was first waived, they wouldnt have been able to assign him to the ahl without also waiving him. plus this was its neutral for their 50 contract limit

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mike_V posted:

They probably didn't have a contract spot open. That's a pretty awful return for Vegas, though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mike_V posted:

If I remember correctly, Vegas had already put him on waivers and he cleared. So Toronto doesn't have to waive him anymore to have him stay in the AHL. Seems like they wanted him but they didn't want to have to risk losing him to waivers themselves.

As for Vegas, they got Subban off waivers and they turned a guy they got for free into a draft pick and a warm body, so that seems fine.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Is it an awful return? It's Pickard. What could he even be worth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
why exactly do people think pickard is good? i'm not trying to be a dick i just have never thought of pickard as anything other than a mediocre lifetime backup

• Locked thread