Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

il_cornuto posted:

Just to confirm, there's no reason to pay for any microtransactions or anything right? Because if not then I might be the last person who hadn't got round to buying it.

Then I hope you enjoy this tailor-made bundle! No idea about your question though, just whining about a meh-looking early unlock :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

il_cornuto posted:

Just to confirm, there's no reason to pay for any microtransactions or anything right? Because if not then I might be the last person who hadn't got round to buying it.

The version in the bundle is the basic version of the pre-expansion game. It doesn't have the original launches DLC or the Morrowind expansion. While ESO is probably the best TES game for actually doing quests and stuff, you're missing basically all the remotely current content in that package.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Oh. Well they nearly had a sale.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Griefor posted:

I've put a lot of time into Monster Slayers lately. It's a card based game, which I'm a sucker for, and it does a lot of things just right. I've found myself thinking "just one more enemy" and going to bed an hour later than planned because of this game a couple of times.

As you start a run you have a deck with some basic cards in them. You can find more cards in treasure chests, merchants, or as rewards for leveling up. But you can't edit your deck directly. Every new card is added automatically. So with every card you have to consider not only whether it is useful now, but also whether it will be useful in the future. If you don't like the card a treasure chest gives you, you can choose to receive gold instead, which you can spend on a different card at a merchant. You can also visit a healer and choose not to heal but to have them delete a card from your deck, allowing you to filter out some chaff. As you level up your max HP grows and you get to pick a reward: delete a card, upgrade a card, add a card, increase your AP/Mana (used to play cards). The real meat of the game is not in the fights but in the manipulating your deck into a set of cards strong enough to beat the final boss with.

There's six classes unlocked initially and they each unlock a new class if you complete the game with them, for a total of twelve. They have very varied playstyles and different types of high level cards. There's the Rogue who specializes in cards that allow you to draw more cards, letting you play tons each turn and end the turn with a card that deals damage per card you already played. Just bring enough AP to be able to play them all. There's the Cleric who applies permanent DoTs to their enemy, and spends the rest of their time healing while the enemy slowly dies.

When you lose it's game over, but you earn fame that you can spend on buying upgrades that will make your next character stronger.

If you have any interest in card-based games I recommend you check it out. I got it from a cheap bundle so I'm sure it'll go on sale/into a bundle again sometime.

Thanks for recommending this. I play a ton of deck builder tabletop games so I'm eager to dig into this. I'll post some thoughts on how it handles the mechanic later on. Have you tried the DLC and do you consider it worth grabbing as well or should I just start with the base game?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Thanks for recommending this. I play a ton of deck builder tabletop games so I'm eager to dig into this. I'll post some thoughts on how it handles the mechanic later on. Have you tried the DLC and do you consider it worth grabbing as well or should I just start with the base game?

For what it's worth I've only been able to beat the game with rogue because it can draw its entire deck in one turn. All the other classes just feel really weak/the enemies are too strong.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I let StrixNebulosa hoover up most of my Humble Monthly games this time, but I still got two remaining that need a good home. Wargame: Red Dragon and Furi. Ask for them!

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Sininu posted:

I let StrixNebulosa hoover up most of my Humble Monthly games this time, but I still got two remaining that need a good home. Wargame: Red Dragon and Furi. Ask for them!

I know I've had a couple of things off you before, but I have Furi wishlisted so I'd love to get it.

Edit: Thanks again! Furi looks so much like my kind of game.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 6, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sininu posted:

Just you watch, I'm going to repay you for this someday!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Sininu posted:

Thank you!

Det_no fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 6, 2017

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sininu posted:

I'd love Red Dragon if you still got it, need some RTSes in my life.

Unless ^ Det_no just nabbed it in which case, whoops.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Deakul posted:

Yup, he got it! I'm sure there will be someone here who will offer you their copy!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

StrixNebulosa posted:

Just you watch, I'm going to repay you for this someday!

Lol, no you won't, I've been trying to repay him for months. :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mordja posted:

Lol, no you won't, I've been trying to repay him for months. :v:

He's got a wishlist, rii .... ii....

friend fox add games to this please

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

Here is a *ed D*agon key, if you move fast.

4354H-2PKZL-*5FDA

More to come; I'm keeping Furi and might even play it some decade but I really just got the monthly for its headliner.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

Here is a *ed D*agon key, if you move fast.

4354H-2PKZL-*5FDA

More to come; I'm keeping Furi and might even play it some decade but I really just got the monthly for its headliner.

Sininu posted:

Yup, he got it! I'm sure there will be someone here who will offer you their copy!

Double crap, thanks anyways dudes.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

StrixNebulosa posted:

A real friend would take their time machine to 2018 and bring back the System Shock binaries. :colbert:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Orwell is a cool concept and interesting in an 'insight into the enemy's mindset" sort of way, but one of the gameplay mechanics is the concept of contradictory information that you have to look at to determine which is correct. The thing is, it almost never is actually 'contradictory', at least to my mind. For instance: one of the people you are investigating wrote a blog post about his regret and sadness at the direction a group he formed had gone. Apparently, feeling emotionally responsible for that direction is mutually exclusive with acknowledging that he and his group let themselves be consumed by anger and hatred. Quite literally, the game presents "We let ourselves be consumed by anger and hatred towards those we thought to do us wrong" and "I now see my high aims might well be the cause for all the events of the past months. More than anyone, I feel responsible" as contradictions. :psyduck:

Is that supposed to be intentional, or am I just crazy and those really are contradictory things?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
What a wonderful and varied monthly that turned out to be.
Not gonna roll the dice for 15 days of basic ESO, two card packs and the demo of some Quake game.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Deakul posted:

Double crap, thanks anyways dudes.

I have a key for you if you still want it. Just sent you a PM.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm at the point where I have nearly all the released games that I want :o (Bought Steamworld Dig 2 yesterday!) and I really don't want to add early access games to my wishlist. I've gotten burned with Spacebase DF-9 before and some games have roller-coaster ride of development where you can't be sure if they are going in right direction or not.
There's few local co-op only games I want, but I don't really have anyone to play them with at the moment so it would be bad idea to let someone get them for me.

I just don't want anyone wasting money on me... It's the worst feeling when I don't enjoy a game that was gifted to me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Be warned, Red Dragon is a game that demands probably a bit too much knowledge of 80s weapon platforms. One could even call it a Groguelike.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I've not played the DLC, but am considering picking it up just because I got 30 hours of fun out of the base game which I got from a cheap bundle. There's no time limited discount going on right now and there's no package deal, so why not start with the base game and see for yourself?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Orwell is a cool concept and interesting in an 'insight into the enemy's mindset" sort of way, but one of the gameplay mechanics is the concept of contradictory information that you have to look at to determine which is correct. The thing is, it almost never is actually 'contradictory', at least to my mind. For instance: one of the people you are investigating wrote a blog post about his regret and sadness at the direction a group he formed had gone. Apparently, feeling emotionally responsible for that direction is mutually exclusive with acknowledging that he and his group let themselves be consumed by anger and hatred. Quite literally, the game presents "We let ourselves be consumed by anger and hatred towards those we thought to do us wrong" and "I now see my high aims might well be the cause for all the events of the past months. More than anyone, I feel responsible" as contradictions. :psyduck:

Is that supposed to be intentional, or am I just crazy and those really are contradictory things?
It's been a while since I played this, but does the game really pose this as a 100% contradiction? It's definitely not like the (also cool) game Contradiction where you're supposed to spot the hole in the story someone tells you, it's more about how you can influence the authorities by choosing which piece of information to feed them, and the game makes this obvious to you by making the choice a special type of information where you gather all the possibilities and then choose which to use. At least in my fuzzy recollection it wasn't so much picking which bit is true as choosing which of the bits to feed to the plot.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Be warned, Red Dragon is a game that demands probably a bit too much knowledge of 80s weapon platforms. One could even call it a Groguelike.

Is there an easy difficulty for the campaign?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

monny posted:

Nuclear Throne is super good, pm me if you want a freebie copy!

I do not have PMs, but my Steam is

http://steamcommunity.com/id/solidsnakesbandana/

So far I've picked up JYDGE and it's really cool. Kind good Batman Scoop gifted me Neon Chrome which was really awesome since I accidentally skipped the bundle it was recently in. Goons are the best. My backlog was already huge without developing an interest in indie games, but at least indie games tend to be shorter and easier to complete.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Griefor posted:

I've not played the DLC, but am considering picking it up just because I got 30 hours of fun out of the base game which I got from a cheap bundle. There's no time limited discount going on right now and there's no package deal, so why not start with the base game and see for yourself?

It's been a while since I played this, but does the game really pose this as a 100% contradiction? It's definitely not like the (also cool) game Contradiction where you're supposed to spot the hole in the story someone tells you, it's more about how you can influence the authorities by choosing which piece of information to feed them, and the game makes this obvious to you by making the choice a special type of information where you gather all the possibilities and then choose which to use. At least in my fuzzy recollection it wasn't so much picking which bit is true as choosing which of the bits to feed to the plot.

Ahhh, yeah that makes sense. That's how I was choosing to use the mechanic anyways, I guess I was a bit put off by how they have to present it 'in universe'.

Of course, I don't know what it sys about the game that I've spent almost as much time making a super-complicated steam controller config for it as I have actually played the game. I've even had about the same amount of fun doing both, too!

Still, though, it seems alot of things that orwell finds 'contradictory' are only so temporally. Like another one is whether someone is single or not-- there's a faux-facebook post of a couple talking about how they are together which is dated almost a year before the 'current day'. This is in contradiction with another thing that states this person is single, but in context it is much more recent (dated only a few months before 'current day' in addition to another context clue). I feel something like that could be handled more clearly, ESPECIALLY since you have unilateral jurisdiction over what to submit in the first place. There's no real need to force things like that.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 6, 2017

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It's intentional and essential to the plot. Orwell's reliance on the user to apply context to the phrases it highlights is a highly exploitable flaw and this ties into the main conflict in the game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

sauer kraut posted:

Is there an easy difficulty for the campaign?

There are "easy" campaigns but they aren't quite so easy because you'll still need to at least vaguely understand the OOBs ToE so you can set a proper RoE at the AO when your troops are Oscar Mike to make sure they're not actually Danger Close to a Tango.

That's definitely exaggerating, but you have to seriously consider how to do a proper mechanised infantry assault, counter-battery fire with any artillery and SEAD strikes before calling in any air support. If you want to get into an easier Eugen Systems game, I'd recommend Steel Division since WW2 kit is much more intuitive and slower, while the Wargame series has been escalating the speed of the game with newer and newer tech.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Bruteman posted:

Humble Monthly

Rise of the Tomb Raider
Wargame: Red Dragon
Furi
Orwell
Seasons After Fall
The Shrouded Isle
Scanner Sombre

Next month:
Quake Champions, ESO Tamriel Unlimited, "a special offering for The Elder Scrolls: Legends, and ESO Vanity pet: Bristlegut Piglet plus 15 days of ESO Plus"

I was interested in Furi and Shrouded Isle, so this worked out for me - how is Orwell and Seasons after Fall?

The last few bundles have been pretty meh and some of the worst ones they have ever offered, right next to the Call of Duty Bloops III map pack one.

And they really better blow peoples balls off with the hidden stuff for next month because gently caress off with that Quake poo poo , the TESO stuff is just 15 days of all the content minus Morrowind then it's locked behind a subscription or paywall and their card game sucks compared to Hearthstone or Gwent or that other FTP Japanese one on Steam.

Really down on Humble as of late. Hopefully we never see another THQ PS3/PS4 weekly bundle ever again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sininu posted:

I'm at the point where I have nearly all the released games that I want :o (Bought Steamworld Dig 2 yesterday!) and I really don't want to add early access games to my wishlist. I've gotten burned with Spacebase DF-9 before and some games have roller-coaster ride of development where you can't be sure if they are going in right direction or not.
There's few local co-op only games I want, but I don't really have anyone to play them with at the moment so it would be bad idea to let someone get them for me.

I just don't want anyone wasting money on me... It's the worst feeling when I don't enjoy a game that was gifted to me.

I find that it's kind of like getting a book for Christmas or such - even if you don't enjoy the book itself, you still deeply appreciate the gift, because :aaa: they got a book for me! So I don't stress so much if a gift isn't perfect for me.

That said, I appreciate your attitude - it'd be a bummer to get you something you wouldn't enjoy?

(Ah, gift-giving. An artform!)

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I find that it's kind of like getting a book for Christmas or such - even if you don't enjoy the book itself, you still deeply appreciate the gift, because :aaa: they got a book for me! So I don't stress so much if a gift isn't perfect for me.

That said, I appreciate your attitude - it'd be a bummer to get you something you wouldn't enjoy?

(Ah, gift-giving. An artform!)

I realize it's an unpopular approach here, with people often having hundreds of games in their wishlists (also makes it hard to gift stuff if you care that they will appreciate the game, there have been times when I got a friend game from their wishlist but it turned out he didn't even like the genre, ughhhhhhhhh) and thousands in libraries - half of them untouched.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mashinky - This looks like a 3D TTD, and judging by the comments it's not terrible? Anyone try this and able to report in on it? Cuz I looove me some TTD and wouldn't mind a new one!

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

On a related note, I have a family member who is awful at telling which games might actually be good and has a wishlist full of garbage she wouldn't actually enjoy if she got to play it. I tend to just look at the types of games she's wishlisted recently and then try and find an actually good alternative. I guess it makes sense but I can't help finding it weird that knowing most of these games are going to be awful is apparantly a skill not every steam user has.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Hello friends, I am here to tell you about the time I randomly decided to install a free to play game from the New Releases section, and was positively surprised!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/

Doki Doki Literature Club is a visual novel about cute girls doing cute things. It's released by Team Salvato, led by Dan Salvato, who's apparently a guy who worked on Project M, a big mod for Smash Brothers Brawl to make it more like Melee.

It's fairly short (depending on whether you want to do all the routes and collect all the 2d wives or not, of course) - took me two hours for a full playthrough, folks are reporting around four, so you've got an estimate between those poles.

In order to sell the game to you, I'd have to ruin it, but I'd go with these selling points:

- the game does a lot of unexpected stuff. If it gets big, you'll probably play it having been spoiled and not enjoy it as much. Think Undertale-like meta stuff.

- the fact it's a visual novel about a literature club is a big part of why it has so much meta stuff!

- the writing is really solid, which is good, for a game about writing.

- if you're familiar with anime/VN tropes you'll enjoy it more because it plays on those tropes.

- it's free!

If you're reading this and still don't want to give it a try, skim the steam reviews. Watch out for spoilers. PLEASE play this unspoiled. Thank you.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I was almost going to pull the trigger on Quake a few weeks back so I'm already happy. Tribes is (sadly) dead so I'm happy to have a new fast/non-CS:GO MP shooter to gently caress around with.

sauer kraut posted:

You get like 2 of the 11? heroes with that humble monthly pack, if I'm informed correctly. A ranger and some Polish guy.
I've been bamboozled!!

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 6, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

I was almost going to pull the trigger on Quake a few weeks back so I'm already happy. Tribes is (sadly) dead so I'm happy to have a new fast/non-CS:GO MP shooter to gently caress around with.

You get like 2 of the 11? heroes with that humble monthly pack, if I'm informed correctly. A ranger and some Polish guy.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

KoldPT posted:

Hello friends, I am here to tell you about the time I randomly decided to install a free to play game from the New Releases section, and was positively surprised!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/

Doki Doki Literature Club is a visual novel about cute girls doing cute things. It's released by Team Salvato, led by Dan Salvato, who's apparently a guy who worked on Project M, a big mod for Smash Brothers Brawl to make it more like Melee.

It's fairly short (depending on whether you want to do all the routes and collect all the 2d wives or not, of course) - took me two hours for a full playthrough, folks are reporting around four, so you've got an estimate between those poles.

In order to sell the game to you, I'd have to ruin it, but I'd go with these selling points:

- the game does a lot of unexpected stuff. If it gets big, you'll probably play it having been spoiled and not enjoy it as much. Think Undertale-like meta stuff.

- the fact it's a visual novel about a literature club is a big part of why it has so much meta stuff!

- the writing is really solid, which is good, for a game about writing.

- if you're familiar with anime/VN tropes you'll enjoy it more because it plays on those tropes.

- it's free!

If you're reading this and still don't want to give it a try, skim the steam reviews. Watch out for spoilers. PLEASE play this unspoiled. Thank you.

I'm mildly curious, so I'll give it a try and report back.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm having a big issue with Steam now. I'm trying to install a 200mb game (have plenty of space on disk) and it froze at 98% downloaded. I restarted, uninstalled and tried again, it got stuck at "preparing files for install" forever, alt F4'd it, cleared download cache, tried again and got "Steam cannot install this game". Reinstalled Steam and it's back at the 98% with no network activity and a 3 day estimated time until it's playable (it's literally geting 16 bytes/s according to Steam). I get 10+ mb/s download speed up until that 98% over and over. Had no problem installing it on another computer earlier today. Any clue what else I can try?:wtf:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 6, 2017

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm having a big issue with Steam now. I'm trying to install a 200mb game (have plenty of space on disk) and it froze at 98% downloaded. I restarted, uninstalled and tried again, it got stuck at "preparing files for install" forever, alt F4'd it, cleared download cache, tried again and got "Steam cannot install this game". Reinstalled Steam and it's back at the 98% with no network activity and a 3 day estimated time until it's playable (it's literally geting 16 bytes/s according to Steam). I get 10+ mb/s download speed up until that 98% over and over. Had no problem installing it on another computer earlier today. Any clue what else I can try?:wtf:

Giant Bomb was actually having real trouble downloading something just now. Maybe the servers are hosed? For reference, they were trying to download Steamworld Dig 2.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

explosivo posted:

Mashinky - This looks like a 3D TTD, and judging by the comments it's not terrible? Anyone try this and able to report in on it? Cuz I looove me some TTD and wouldn't mind a new one!

Looks like a mashup of TTD and Railroad Tycoon 3. Could be extremely cool if done right, but it's EA and $25. :smugjones:

I'm gonna wishlist it and let it stew for a few months at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Anyone play Battle Chasers? It looks like it ticks tons of my gaming boxes but at the same time looks janky