Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Third World Reggin posted:

that is called flanking

stop flanking the enemy

I always thought the reinforcements entered the map based on their position relative to the other army on the campaign map before the battle starts. If it doesn't work that way it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So gents I finally cleared some time for this

What are our must have mods by now and relevant stuff like that, pretty please

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

dead comedy forums posted:

So gents I finally cleared some time for this

What are our must have mods by now and relevant stuff like that, pretty please

Workshop opened like yesterday so there are no mods.

Or at least no good ones.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

You need at least two skill points in a spell to overcast them.

IIRC caster lords need one, caster heroes need two. Also, spells with overcast will have 2/3 points on the skill tree while those without will have 1/2.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Zore posted:

Workshop opened like yesterday so there are no mods.

Or at least no good ones.

Better camera, skip intro logos, hero levels, provincial roads and stupid agents are there so some QoL is already guaranteed

but ofc we have "sexier morathi" as well

edit: also "toned-down witch elves", because warrior women can't have abs

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Death Globadiers are absolutely ridiculous and amazing. I have 4 of them in my army and they'll vaporize any unit in 2 volleys, as well as any other units nearby. Including my own. Even with a nice flank, it is 100% guaranteed that the engaged skavenslave/clanrat group is going to get annihilated too. And that is okay.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
There's some good mods already, here's a few:

Raging Beasts and Brutes http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158924766
Unlimited Dragon Breaths http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158815814
Global Recruit Buff http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158755347
Crynsos' Faction Unlocker+ http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158985864
Varied Hydras http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158732146
Immersive Battle Banners http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1159967423
Faster End Turn Camera http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1159014317
Darker and Contrast Sea http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1158833078
Provincial Roads http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1157274821
Diplomatic Options - Vassal, Liberate & Confederate http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1155808469

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of Skavenslaves I just got access to Stormvermin and now I'm wondering how Skaven frontlines work when you have access to all the tiers. Are they the hammer to the Skavenslaves' anvil or do you phase out slaves entirely and make Stormvermin a more normal frontline? Or do you keep Slaves/Clanrats for your frontline and just keep a couple of Stormvermin units hanging around to guard your many expensive catapults?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Pierson posted:

Speaking of Skavenslaves I just got access to Stormvermin and now I'm wondering how Skaven frontlines work when you have access to all the tiers. Are they the hammer to the Skavenslaves' anvil or do you phase out slaves entirely and make Stormvermin a more normal frontline? Or do you keep Slaves/Clanrats for your frontline and just keep a couple of Stormvermin units hanging around to guard your many expensive catapults?

Plague monks and rat ogres are the hammer.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pierson posted:

Those are all options but what I seem to be doing is queek gets stormvermin and everyone else gets slave armies, just due to maintenance costs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I haven't actually played a TW game seriously since Med2 ages ago. My guys always seem to just clump up in a group when I'm trying to order them around. Are there any good primers for figuring out how to move units in formation and stuff like that?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Those are all options but what I seem to be doing is queek gets stormvermin and everyone else gets slave armies, just due to maintenance costs.
I went with Skrolk and Pestilens because I love that green fire aesthetic so I'll probably keep a lot of clanrats around so friendly-fire doesn't kill anything expensive, some Stormvermin for mop-up.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
If you like MP just stay away from playing HE until there's a balance patch

Lizardmen with solar engine spam and DE...anything just destroy them

You can't even counter build DE because they can do lots of different builds. With Elf rampage poison is beyond dumb, Death Hag is OP as poo poo, both HE legendary lords are bleh (Teclis would probably be good if HE could field a competent wide army but you're stuck going elite infantry), HE missiles are garbage but DE missiles have AP

It's just a mess now that the meta is shaking out

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Night10194 posted:

I haven't actually played a TW game seriously since Med2 ages ago. My guys always seem to just clump up in a group when I'm trying to order them around. Are there any good primers for figuring out how to move units in formation and stuff like that?

Watch Party Elite's video tutorials. He has one in advanced unit commands that is super helpful.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

oswald ownenstein posted:

You can't even counter build DE because they can do lots of different builds. With Elf rampage poison is beyond dumb, Death Hag is OP as poo poo, both HE legendary lords are bleh (Teclis would probably be good if HE could field a competent wide army but you're stuck going elite infantry), HE missiles are garbage but DE missiles have AP

I went to go look for turin having a HE multiplayer match to see how he does it. But yah I am excited for a balance patch since some teams do feel too strong atm.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Pierson posted:

I really like slaves for the benefit of not affecting other units at all if they get mauled. Even later on having a few units of slaves is cost effective as a sacrificial unit.

Slaves work great for padding out extra armies that cost almost nothing extra. You can use these to help crush rebellions and act as the vanguard for sieges.

I'll have a lord with 4 plagueclaw catapults and 15 slaves initiate a siege then have your main army follow up. The slaves in towers tank the castle defenses and wear down Defenders, while main army swoops in.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

I went to go look for turin having a HE multiplayer match to see how he does it. But yah I am excited for a balance patch since some teams do feel too strong atm.

His videos are so weird because he doesn't play HE all that much and the opponents he face seem like they aren't aware of whatever the meta is

Like yeah you'll beat a lizardman who brings a bunch of skinks or kroks if you bring phoenix guard, or his DE matches his opponents will do stuff like leave their death hag idle in a forest

I haven't seen him face anything that I keep running into. I know he sticks to elite infantry with some phoenixes and doesn't bother with chariots and rarely cav.

His uploaded videos are almost always his wins, the streams he's been playing skaven mostly.

Turin is definitely the best youtube dude to watch though he's just awesome

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i dont like how hordes can just spawn in the middle of your territory while your armies are off doing poo poo

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Eh, people were shouting about HE having issues since pretty much the first battle. Nothing changed all the way up to and, it seems, past release.

They'll buff and improve i expect. Doesn't help that their AP ranged is going to be behind a paywall. Well, unless CA make the Everqueen and her Sisters flc i guess.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just killed like 2200 infantry lizards with an Eshin/Skyre-specced army; the cannons taking home like 300 kills each at minimum and 500 at max. This may be my favorite faction ever in a Total War game, Skaven loving rule.

They're so good I'm really tempted to even cut my 8 tarpit units to 6 and take even more warcrime technology instead, since their ranged units are insanely brutal.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Well, that campaign is weird.

I am Mazdamundi very hard radious campaign, Queek is the Skaven ritual guy, and because the high elfs declared war on me and some other stuff I am now at +100 relations with Skrolk.

There was a joint battle (my Skrolk bro and me) vs a lot of uncool lizards (every lizard other then Kroq gar has the trait that gives negative relations with other lizards, -.-) and Teclis.

Skrolk behaved in a most skavenlike manner, and tried hard to kill as many foes as possible while also killing as many of my guys as possible.
When the tally of friendly fired Elite Sauri ("Skrolk Skrolk must help help triple gold chevron Temple guards vs 4 or 5 Elyrian reavers with all 4 Catapults! Yes Yes, Help Help!") reached more then 200 I popped a ruiniation of cities directly on his blob.
The joints battle improved our relations quite a bit, I think establishing friendly fire dominance is an important step in establishing a beneficial relationship with skaven.
Good times.

Mightypeon fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 7, 2017

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I'm hoping CA (or a modder) adds a reason to do the Vortex at all beyond an alternate win condition. It's interesting on paper and gives the AI a chance to win the strategic layer, but in practice it's a net penalty to actually follow the objective. All it really does is spawn enemies on top of you and make anyone who's not your race hate you.

As things are now, even if losing the race was an instant loss, why wouldn't you just kill the other factions instead? Ritual currency is equally distributed around the world, so to get enough to win the race you're going to be walking by (or over) your competitors' start locations anyway.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

boho posted:

I'm hoping CA (or a modder) adds a reason to do the Vortex at all beyond an alternate win condition. It's interesting on paper and gives the AI a chance to win the strategic layer, but in practice it's a net penalty to actually follow the objective. All it really does is spawn enemies on top of you and make anyone who's not your race hate you.

As things are now, even if losing the race was an instant loss, why wouldn't you just kill the other factions instead? Ritual currency is equally distributed around the world, so to get enough to win the race you're going to be walking by (or over) your competitors' start locations anyway.
Sacking ritual cities should give you a decent lump sum of ritual currency, since it'd fix the idea that you have to wipe out or establish enclaves near competitor sites.

e: vvvv Yeah, or that. Give some of the bonuses you get mid-ritual to stick around afterwards, or give different ones.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 7, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

boho posted:

Faction bonuses for each completed phase of the ritual would be great. As it stands, it just makes same race factions like you more and rival race factions hate you even more.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If you capture the vortex, all enemies get -50 winds of magic reserve. If you assume that you will continue the game after "winning", that's one hell of an advantage.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Night10194 posted:

If you don't want to watch through a video:

1. Set up your formation how you want it.
2. Select the formation and click 'G' to group them.
3. Press Shift + G to lock them into formation.

Now you can send them off and they will keep that formation while moving. You can also move them with WASD and it will show you exactly how the formation will look where they end up. Also when in formation like this if you click on the enemy front line your front line will attack whatever is in front of them instead of the whole army converging on one unit.

You can rotate your entire army formation using CTRL + left arrow or right arrow too.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Invicta just posted a match with an interesting HE build. 4 Dragon Princes with Teclis for nets with a mix of White Lions, Archers and Spearmen core.

It seemed pretty strong if you can micro well.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Invicta just posted a match with an interesting HE build. 4 Dragon Princes with Teclis for nets with a mix of White Lions, Archers and Spearmen core.

It seemed pretty strong if you can micro well.

I'll have to check that out

I've been getting absolutely murdered no matter what build I try against DE

Witch elves are just so broken - they seem to 1v1 white lions no problem, and anything else gets raped by the death hag if I'm stupid enough to put something costly in against them because of that ridiculous taunt that will get a big fat nerf next patch

So archers can help with witch elves but DE can win with pretty much any comp so you'll see a lot of cav + high armored poo poo which make it a guessing game

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
DE purple murder rampage needs a nerf. The unbreakableness of it really sucks when your on the receiving end.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Do the other races' epilogues also refer to the coming demon apocalypse?

Also people weren't kidding when they said the final battle was easy. I wonder if it would been better if they had taken advantage of the free-for-all mechanic and have the opposing armies spawn in together and also be hostile to eachother. Getting the AI right so that it doesn't ignore the player completely and only go for the other AI factions probably would probably be a bit tricky though.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 7, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
On Vh in campaign enemy DE always trigger that before you're 75% there, and I never see much of a performance difference in my units. That and the 'leadership above 50%' stat buff for HE seem like weird, dumb game mechanics.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ammanas posted:

On Vh in campaign enemy DE always trigger that before you're 75% there, and I never see much of a performance difference in my units. That and the 'leadership above 50%' stat buff for HE seem like weird, dumb game mechanics.

HE get a stat boss with high leadership? I can hardly notice it on VH.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

HE get a stat boss with high leadership? I can hardly notice it on VH.

It's 50% or higher hp

Some of their units get some extra melee attack / defense until they're less than 50% hp

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

For the final vortex battle do you get put in charge of a premade army or does it just bring the one army your LL is attached to? Trying to plan ahead.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Ibblebibble posted:

For the final vortex battle do you get put in charge of a premade army or does it just bring the one army your LL is attached to? Trying to plan ahead.

You bring your starting lords army, whatever it is at the time.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

You bring your starting lords army, whatever it is at the time.

i used a rando lords army, cause she was standing right next to the point

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm trying to test it, but it seems like if you teleport a Skaven Lord to a quest battle/event battle, if they were previously in a territory that had a capital with upgraded walls you get the Warp Bombs as though you were fighting an army/defending against one in that territory. Not sure if this is intended or not but it made Queek's Dwarf Gouger quest considerably easier.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

any word on when the blood dlc drops?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Constantine XI posted:

If you don't want to watch through a video:

1. Set up your formation how you want it.
2. Select the formation and click 'G' to group them.
3. Press Shift + G to lock them into formation.

Now you can send them off and they will keep that formation while moving. You can also move them with WASD and it will show you exactly how the formation will look where they end up. Also when in formation like this if you click on the enemy front line your front line will attack whatever is in front of them instead of the whole army converging on one unit.

You can rotate your entire army formation using CTRL + left arrow or right arrow too.

You can also alt+click and drag to move the formation marker and your guys will move to wherever you put it in formation. You can add ctrl+click to rotate, so while alt clicked hold control too and rotate for your destination. Instead of grouping with G and then locking you can ctrl+G to start with a locked group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to make your units do an attack move like when you alt-left click a target with a locked formation without having to, you know, have an actual locked formation?