Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I grew up with '60s oldies, but it took me until adulthood to realize that Paul Revere and the Raiders was a reference to the British invasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chili with beans in it is pretty good!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

starkebn posted:

Yeah, family / town / location name pronunciations like that are the exact definition of shibboleth
Fun fact, the exact definition of shibboleth is literally the Hebrew word "shibbólet":

quote:

And the Gileadites took the passages of Jordan before the Ephraimites: and it was so, that when those Ephraimites which were escaped said, Let me go over; that the men of Gilead said unto him, Art thou an Ephraimite? If he said, Nay;
Then said they unto him, Say now Shibboleth: and he said Sibboleth: for he could not frame to pronounce it right. Then they took him, and slew him at the passages of Jordan: and there fell at that time of the Ephraimites forty and two thousand.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I thought Ed O'Neill had died a few years ago for some reason.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

The_White_Crane posted:

Be fair, the fact that English has lots of weird-assed pronunciation/spelling mismatches doesn't mean that this one is not weird.
Though I think my favourite is the surname "Featherstonehaugh", pronounced "Fan-shaw". One can't help but think it's principal reason for existing is to serve as some kind of classist shibboleth.

I liked in the original House of Cards trilogy, Francis Urquhart's name is pronounced "Urkit". That one probably isn't even that weird, it doesn't even have half of the silent letters as your example.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I heard the Mr. Mister song 'Kyrie' on the radio the other day. I hadn't heard it for a decade at least and I'd always vaguely assumed it was about a woman because Kyrie sounds a bit like Kirrily and the song seems to be addressed to someone ("Kyrie eleison, where I'm going will you follow?) and I never really listened to it that closely anyway.

It turns out that "Kyrie eleison" is Greek for "Lord, have mercy".

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

someone awful. posted:

I looked it up from curiosity and apparently the American English pronunciation is the older one (happens a lot with Am.E actually), so that's interesting

Lots of words drop the 'l' in their pronunciation: chalk, yolk, uh...walk, talk, etc. So the pronunciation of "solder" is not really surprising.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I only found out Timbuktu was a real place fairly recently

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Sucrose posted:

Lots of words drop the 'l' in their pronunciation: chalk, yolk, uh...walk, talk, etc. So the pronunciation of "solder" is not really surprising.

You do see that all of the examples you've given have things in common, right? As opposed to all the words that have things in common with "solder", like "colder", "holder", "folder", "bolder", etc...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

iajanus posted:

You do see that all of the examples you've given have things in common, right? As opposed to all the words that have things in common with "solder", like "colder", "holder", "folder", "bolder", etc...

All of those only look like "solder", but they're all a base word + -er suffix. Solder is not constructed that way, it comes from old French "solder". So they really don't have anything in common with solder at all, beyond the basic spelling pattern.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

One god drat avocado costs 1,59€ what the christ?!?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Solumin posted:

All of those only look like "solder", but they're all a base word + -er suffix. Solder is not constructed that way, it comes from old French "solder". So they really don't have anything in common with solder at all, beyond the basic spelling pattern.

And considering how often we ignore the French pronunciation of things in order to use the common English method I'm wondering what your point is?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I think the point was it's good to consider the source even when it's usually corrupted because sometimes it helps explain why things are the way they are?

What was yours? "Boo hoo english is hard" is a valid answer here.

e: Is "common english method" a technical term?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Turtlicious posted:

Chili with beans in it is pretty good!

Try it with a can of tomato soup too.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
English people are real proud that they have exactly one word where the spelling and pronunciation makes more « logical sense » than the american version.

Hope you chaps that if you die on the hill of solder’s honour, you give up the right to make fun of people who can’t pronounce poo poo like « Gloucestershire »

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Wait, Americans pronounce solder without the L? I'm not trying to be a smartarse, I literally don't think I've ever heard it and can't imagine how it sounds like that. What O sound is it? It feels like I consume enough American media that I should have come across this before.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It's pronounced like "sod" + "er". Rhymes with fodder

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

-Solder? I hardly knew 'er! :haw:

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

iajanus posted:

Words looking the same has never meant they're pronounced the same in English, so this method of trying to "prove" sold-er is more correct than sodd-er is totally vacuous. Example: cough, through, tough. Hey they all look the same, must sound the same right???

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Organza Quiz posted:

Wait, Americans pronounce solder without the L? I'm not trying to be a smartarse, I literally don't think I've ever heard it and can't imagine how it sounds like that. What O sound is it? It feels like I consume enough American media that I should have come across this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwIHFmagmyk

Edit: you should see how they pronounce 'colonel', it's a travesty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2pkUecLaxI

Edit 2: oh jeez they really gently caress this one up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhANvLXAmb8

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:20 on Oct 10, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I think the point was it's good to consider the source even when it's usually corrupted because sometimes it helps explain why things are the way they are?

What was yours? "Boo hoo english is hard" is a valid answer here.

e: Is "common english method" a technical term?

The point was it's exceeding normal in English to disregard the pronunciation in the former language, and as such it's relatively meaningless. To rely on it as a crutch to ignore the obvious connection that a large proportion of the world has made between the structure of the words is asinine. Ignoring the fact that the rest of the world made the choice to pronounce in the manner consistent with the original roots, it just sounds better and more consistent with how the vast majority of words are pronounced with regard to "lder" vs "dder" (totes not subjective there and don't read the first and second halves of this post at the same time).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

[quote="“GAINING WEIGHT...”" post="“477237100”"]
Words looking the same has never meant they’re pronounced the same in English, so this method of trying to “prove” sold-er is more correct than sodd-er is totally vacuous. Example: cough, through, tough. Hey they all look the same, must sound the same right???
[/quote]

I was replying to someone making that same point hth

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Does the silent 'l' apply to the variations of the word solder?

I.e people walk around going "Robert, have you seen the sod-derring iron?".

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Also is flux pronounced flux or fux

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Sucrose posted:

I pronounce the 'l' in chalk, yolk, walk, talk, etc. I don't know anyone who doesn't.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Pocket Billiards posted:

Does the silent 'l' apply to the variations of the word solder?

I.e people walk around going "Robert, have you seen the sod-derring iron?".

Yes.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

English people are real proud that they have exactly one word where the spelling and pronunciation makes more « logical sense » than the american version.

Hope you chaps that if you die on the hill of solder’s honour, you give up the right to make fun of people who can’t pronounce poo poo like « Gloucestershire »

Those place names are pretty easy to pronounce once you figure out that the pronunciation has come decoupled from the root. "Gloucester" looks like it should be "glou" + "cester", right? That's where the word came from - the fort at Glevum, "Glevum" + "castrum".

But the pronunciation shifted to place the "ce" in the first syllable, so it's pronounced "Glouce" ("gloss") + "ster" = "glosster". The same goes for other place names with the same pattern, like Leicester: "Leice" ("less") + "ster" = "lester".

With "shire" you just have to remember that the "i" is short in place names. So "Gloucestershire" becomes, pronunciationally, "glouce" + "ster" + "shire" = "gloss" + "ster" + "sher" = "glosstersher"; Leicestershire is "lestersher", etc.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
[quote="“mlnhd”" post="“477237303”"]
I pronounce the ‘l’ in chalk, yolk, walk, talk, etc. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t.
[/quote]

I have never heard anyone do that in my life.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have never heard anyone do that in my life.

Here in Australia we usually pronounce 'almond' as 'armand' (which also seems to be the UK pronunciation) but I usually pronounce the 'l' because I like to appear mysterious and enticing to strangers but also because I'm really loving annoying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFkV_Gfgpi8

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Besesoth posted:

Those place names are pretty easy to pronounce once you figure out that the pronunciation has come decoupled from the root. "Gloucester" looks like it should be "glou" + "cester", right? That's where the word came from - the fort at Glevum, "Glevum" + "castrum".

But the pronunciation shifted to place the "ce" in the first syllable, so it's pronounced "Glouce" ("gloss") + "ster" = "glosster". The same goes for other place names with the same pattern, like Leicester: "Leice" ("less") + "ster" = "lester".

With "shire" you just have to remember that the "i" is short in place names. So "Gloucestershire" becomes, pronunciationally, "glouce" + "ster" + "shire" = "gloss" + "ster" + "sher" = "glosstersher"; Leicestershire is "lestersher", etc.

Ah, but we don’t take roots into account in english, friend

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Besesoth posted:

I was asleep by the second sentence in this post

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here in Australia we usually pronounce 'almond' as 'armand' (which also seems to be the UK pronunciation) but I usually pronounce the 'l' because I like to appear mysterious and enticing to strangers but also because I'm really loving annoying

I'm in the UK, quick survey of four people shows a 3/4 majority in favour of "al-mund" and one man who prefers "ar-mund".

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I am deeply disappointed that with all this UK/US English discussion going on, nobody has posted this Eddie Izzard bit yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IzDbNFDdP4

Nordick has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Oct 10, 2017

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
then post it yourself

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nordick posted:

I am deeply disappointed that with all this UK/US English discussion going on, nobody has posted this Eddie Izzard but yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IzDbNFDdP4

We say "herb", because there's a loving H in it!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

This hosed me up almost as much as that time someone pointed out that we say "squirrel" as "squirl".

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

mlnhd posted:

I pronounce the 'l' in chalk, yolk, walk, talk, etc. I don't know anyone who doesn't.

Do you say talk and talc the same way then? Not trying to be a dick here, I'm just trying to figure out how you deal with a mouth full of sounds

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Hey I was watching AU survivor and the woman got a big jar of “Lollies”. Is that just a generic word for candy of is it something specific? Is it like a lollipop without the sick?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Hey I was watching AU survivor and the woman got a big jar of “Lollies”. Is that just a generic word for candy of is it something specific? Is it like a lollipop without the sick?

The sick comes after you eat all the lollies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Mr.Tophat posted:

Do you say talk and talc the same way then? Not trying to be a dick here, I'm just trying to figure out how you deal with a mouth full of sounds

No. Those have different vowel sounds. They both have an L, though.

mlnhd has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Oct 10, 2017