Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

exquisite tea posted:

I make all my rice on the stovetop like risotto and stir it around adding liquid until it absorbs because I can't just leave food alone for that long.
I don't even do risottos like that. Chuck it in the pressure cooker and 6min later it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've happened to watch a couple of chef john videos on potato/pasta salad and if you split the mayo with greek yoghurt 50/50 you need slightly less vinegar and won't notice the difference i guess

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
My tuna salad has yellow mustard in it.

I like mayo/mustard on fries.

My PB&J is usually with two types of PB (dark chocolate and crunchy regular) and black raspberry jam.

I have a 'standard meal' recipe that basically anything fits into the formula:
A protein
A grain
A veg
Flavoring

Typically chicken over rice with a bag of mixed veg and some kind of curry sauce (vindaloo, korma, etc) plus some naan. But other examples include swapping out with lamb/beef, or chicken, bag of mixed veg, tater tots, and can of cheddar cheese soup mix put into a dish and baked. Upwards of 60% of my daily meals end up being one of these because I can make enough for at least four days and don't have to cook again for a while.

Occasionally I like ketchup on a hot dog (being from Chicago, sacrilege)

Pretzel crisps and cream cheese are amazing!

I hate chunky salsa...so I pour the whole jar into a pitcher and blend it with a stick blender until consistent.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Oxphocker posted:

My tuna salad has yellow mustard in it.

This is actually a cool and good thing to do.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah half those things are p normal :shrug:

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I like it because it cuts some of the oiliness of the tuna...but everyone I've ever said that to looks at me funny. Good to know others do it too...

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

My mom would sometimes send me to school with a Cheez Whiz sandwich for lunch. Just white bread and Cheez Whiz.

I still make them today, only now I toast the bread slightly because I'm an adult.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Oxphocker posted:

I like it because it cuts some of the oiliness of the tuna...but everyone I've ever said that to looks at me funny. Good to know others do it too...

Tuna, yellow mustard, a little mayo, dill relish, salt, and pepper.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
I like to boil pasta and dump a can of Wolf brand chili over it and then I eat it.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
I cook plain chicken breasts until they are REALLY overdone and dry, then eat them almost like jerky. No seasoning or marinade.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ohnonotme posted:

I cook plain chicken breasts until they are REALLY overdone and dry, then eat them almost like jerky. No seasoning or marinade.

You're a monster. I can understand a lot of weird things in this thread but overdone meat is an abomination.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I take a sip from the soy sauce bottle whenever I bring it out for any reason.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Quiet Feet posted:

I take a sip from the soy sauce bottle whenever I bring it out for any reason.

Same but fish sauce

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Tuna, yellow mustard, a little mayo, dill relish, salt, and pepper.

My full recipe is tuna, mayo, mustard, celery, pepper, chopped dill pickle, and if I'm really going fancy some chopped egg white.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I love kraft mac and cheese.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

I love kraft mac and cheese.

That's not a sin in any way.

Also I am an unapologetic lover of Cincinnati Chili, but any regular here knows that. And I will fight anyone who disagrees with it.

I suppose my one "sin" of cooking is not salting much, at work. But we have to do that because it's a hospital so we have to be easy on the sodium for patient food.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I think (pray) that medical reasons overrule culinary crimes. I've done a lot of things worthy of this thread in the last 2 months of not having working teeth.

Prime example: My lunch/dinner yesterday was literally just an entire pot of spinach dip, eaten with a spoon.

Two of my implants failed this week so I get to reset the counter back to 6~ months before real food again. I can't imagine what I'll be willing to eat by then.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Ketchup with steak.

Every steak.

Bring it

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I made chicken and dumplings, everything from scratch except the dumplings, which were smushed up bits of Pillsbury biscuits.

Tasted loving great.

I also like ketchup and wholegrain mustard on my hotdogs and nothing else. I will never change.

I stopped boiling potatoes when I make mash, now I just bake them in the microwave.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Diced fried spam in cheese sauce made out of chicken stock, velveeta and whatever cheeses i got over instant mashed potatoes.

Im not at all ashamed of this and just thought id share a tasty thing i like.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

therattle posted:

You're a monster. I can understand a lot of weird things in this thread but overdone meat is an abomination.

I eat steaks blue rare, and love a nice tender bit of chicken - but I also love it horribly overdone!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Manuel Calavera posted:

That's not a sin in any way.

Also I am an unapologetic lover of Cincinnati Chili, but any regular here knows that. And I will fight anyone who disagrees with it.

I suppose my one "sin" of cooking is not salting much, at work. But we have to do that because it's a hospital so we have to be easy on the sodium for patient food.

Oh, this is another one for me (albeit at home, not at work). I spent a number of my formative years living with my dad who chronically oversalted - as a result, I usually undersalt everything. That said, when I have people over for dinner I usually warn them and invite them to finish salting to their taste.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Sometimes cheap frozen pepperoni pizza is exactly what I want. I mean like Target's brand of frozen pizza or something.

What makes this funnier is that I'm picky about "real" pizza, but every once in a while I just want the polar opposite.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
gravy is the best bit of a roast meal and i add masses of alcohol and other things and get it started long before the meal si ready because its that important

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I like cup ramen as 3am drunk food.

I don't mean the good stuff you get at the Asian market, either. I mean the cheap poo poo you get at Walmart.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I eat peanut butter and Vegemite sandwiches. And I insist that you try it. You will not regret it. Butter both slices of bread, spread peanut butter on one and Vegemite on the other and close it up (like any sandwich). The flavours combine in an unexpectedly delicious way.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The most comforting food my mom would make for me when I had a bad day in school is "rice and gravy" - Uncle Ben's wild rice cooked with canned mushrooms, and Campbell's cream of mushroom soup cooked with browned round stake and some Worcestershire sauce. I am 32 and I still make it for myself when I've had a bad day. I will cut my husband if he tries to take any of it.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
In my early days of smoking meat I forgot to wrap an eye round I had on the smoker for roast beef sandwiches. With the amount of hickory smoke I had going, what resulted was so acrid and smokey tasting that it was nearly inedible. Also there horse radish Mayo I made was bad.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Tiggum posted:

I eat peanut butter and Vegemite sandwiches. And I insist that you try it. You will not regret it. Butter both slices of bread, spread peanut butter on one and Vegemite on the other and close it up (like any sandwich). The flavours combine in an unexpectedly delicious way.

This is legit good.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Tiggum posted:

Put cheese in the middle and toast/grill it.
You're welcome.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
I like traditional British food. Roast lamb with mint sauce, syllabub, suet puddings and so on.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I only make nachos (cheese, jalapenos, etc. on top) with a microwave, because I can't justify heating up an oven just to melt cheese.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife is Thai and whenever we have people over for dinner we will cook Thai food for them. People are always blown away by our cooking but most Thai food is actually piss-easy to make.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

C-Euro posted:

My wife is Thai and whenever we have people over for dinner we will cook Thai food for them. People are always blown away by our cooking but most Thai food is actually piss-easy to make.

Is it mostly the having of the various ingredients on hand? My friend spend a year in Northern Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, and that general area of the world. When he got back, he started making hella more thai food. Legit, most of it is like. Grill/stir-fry/roast/heat up _______ protein. Add a bunch of shallots, a bit of ginger, some garlic, and lime juice, and sometimes lime leaves. And then throw on a bunch of cilantro because why the hell not. It's so fresh and delicious.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

dino. posted:

Is it mostly the having of the various ingredients on hand? My friend spend a year in Northern Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, and that general area of the world. When he got back, he started making hella more thai food. Legit, most of it is like. Grill/stir-fry/roast/heat up _______ protein. Add a bunch of shallots, a bit of ginger, some garlic, and lime juice, and sometimes lime leaves. And then throw on a bunch of cilantro because why the hell not. It's so fresh and delicious.

You forgot the part where you make literally everything taste of coconut.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I got dinner from 7-Eleven twice this week.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Tiggum posted:

You forgot the part where you make literally everything taste of coconut.

Northern Thai seems to not do much coconut. Much more tomato and tamarind and such.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, coconut is mainly in the southern curries. I don't think tiggum has had much Thai besides green, red and yellow curries from magazine/internet recipes.
There's lots of stir fries and grilled meat recipes from the north, and also they make the same red, green and yellow curries without coconut. If you check out a Thai restaurant here tiggum the usually call them jungle curry

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

You forgot fish sauce!
Yeah, part of it is finding the right ingredients and knowing what the dish should taste like, but the actual prep and cooking of Thai food is nothing fancy. Curry is basically
-Fry meat and veggies in pot
-Mix in curry paste (just use the canned stuff from Maesri, we do)
-Mix in 1 can of coconut milk and simmer until served. Add lime/sugar/fish sauce to taste.

I taught my 60-year old mother how to make Masaman curry via text message and she blew her friends away with it.

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, coconut is mainly in the southern curries. I don't think tiggum has had much Thai besides green, red and yellow curries from magazine/internet recipes.
There's lots of stir fries and grilled meat recipes from the north, and also they make the same red, green and yellow curries without coconut. If you check out a Thai restaurant here tiggum the usually call them jungle curry

Coconut milk is the base for curry "broth" so yeah any Thai curry you eat is probably going to have some coconut. I'm not a huge coconut fan but honestly I've never really been able to taste it in a finished curry. If you can taste the coconut you either have too much milk or not enough paste. Most noodle-based Thai dishes (pad kee mow, pad see ew, my personal favorite rad nar etc.) don't use coconut, I believe.

Republicans posted:

I got dinner from 7-Eleven twice this week.

Wife and I went on vacation in Florida a month ago and I'm pretty sure we had Wawa food for dinner every night we were there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Loutre posted:

I think (pray) that medical reasons overrule culinary crimes. I've done a lot of things worthy of this thread in the last 2 months of not having working teeth.

Prime example: My lunch/dinner yesterday was literally just an entire pot of spinach dip, eaten with a spoon.

Two of my implants failed this week so I get to reset the counter back to 6~ months before real food again. I can't imagine what I'll be willing to eat by then.

At some point I blended up a pizza and sipped it. It... tasted like pizza. Kind of disconcerting. I couldn't get more than a few sips in.

I'm really hoping my implants don't fail. I've got 8. I've been scrupulously taking care of them. I've only been implanted for three weeks and a bit, so I have another three months of waiting until I get my abutments placed.

e: is it painful if they do? What's the MO there?

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 8, 2017

• Locked thread