Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

They also made Raptrap totally useless in battle so all he could do was run and hide and turned Rhinox into a villain.

Yeah, the problem was that the show sort of implied that the writers didn't understand the previous characterisations... except that it was the same writers from Beast Wars. If you pretend it's not meant to tie into Beast Wars, it's a half-decent show. And as a bonus you can also forget how they literally redid Blackarachnia's character arc again, just that she was trying to redeem her boyfriend, instead of the other way round. (Fun fact: Her design was LITERALLY based on a stripper from a club near the Mainframe offices)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Beast Machines had different writers, actually. The head writers of BM were Bob Skir and Marty Isenberg with the series treatment being done by Marv Wolfman, while Beast Wars was led by Bob Forward and Larry Ditillo. They were told by Hasbro and Dan Didio, then the head of Mainframe, not to watch earlier episodes initially.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao marv wolfman and didio? Seriously?

Thanks for ruining beast wars DC

site fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 1, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

TFRazorsaw posted:

They were told by Hasbro and Dan Didio, then the head of Mainframe, not to watch earlier episodes initially.

What the gently caress Dan.

I didn't watch Transformers as a kid, one of the Beast series was running and I caught one episode but all I remember was someone holding a skull, commenting on how somewhere used to have organic life and someone else getting pissed at the idea.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ngl all this talk makes me wanna watch beast wars again

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Beast Machines had different writers, actually. The head writers of BM were Bob Skir and Marty Isenberg with the series treatment being done by Marv Wolfman, while Beast Wars was led by Bob Forward and Larry Ditillo. They were told by Hasbro and Dan Didio, then the head of Mainframe, not to watch earlier episodes initially.

Huh, I was sure Forward had worked on BW as well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

lmao marv wolfman and didio? Seriously?

Thanks for ruining beast wars DC

Usually DC is so good with ape material.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

The general idea of Beast Machines was fine, Maximals return to Cybertron, discover that Megatron made it their before them and managed to take over, transformation virus forces them to get new toys, I mean forms, go from there with a fresh world. The problem was that pretty much no one was written in character for the majority of the show, and they only started getting them back into character as the show got closer to its ending. That, and the central mystery they start with being that none of the Maximals remember just what happened, which is supposedly to let new viewers come in without getting caught up, but instead just confused matters and didn't really build up to anything beyond Rhinox being written incredibly out of character, too.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

For some reason I want to say Dan DiDio is who turned the kid sidekick in Reboot into a bootleg Cable

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

hup posted:

For some reason I want to say Dan DiDio is who turned the kid sidekick in Reboot into a bootleg Cable

Enzo is Cable done right. - Dan DiDio.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

archie's weird mysteries

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Evil!Rhinox acts exactly like Rhinox did when he got infected with a virus in season 1, so personally speaking, after having his personality warped and disillusioned with everything it doesn't really feel that out of character to me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Evil!Rhinox acts exactly like Rhinox did when he got infected with a virus in season 1, so personally speaking, after having his personality warped and disillusioned with everything it doesn't really feel that out of character to me.

That doesn't explain Rattrap going from being the cynical ne'er-do-well commando to a literal coward and the comic relief.

hup posted:

Hey, Matrix was my poo poo as a kid, and that was when they did crazy poo poo like the superhero episode and the Prisoner parody (which goes way further than most lazy parodies of the show from The Simpsons and such)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Alaois posted:

archie's weird mysteries
They call it Riverdale these days.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Welp, another episode of Marvel's Spider-Man, another really bad one unfortunately.

It took all of one episode between Miles becoming Ultimate Spider-Man to him learning Peter was the original meaning there was absolutely no tension when the reveal happened. The entire episode was just about how awesome Kraven was and then he gets punked by a single sneak attack from Vulture who is then beaten up easily by the rest of the Spider crew.

And I'm usually not one to even notice animation things but the final scenes were just Peter moving his lips with a stock still face as he was talking. No body language or even moving around to breathe. Not that it would've made the final scene any more interesting, unlike last episode's reveal.

Also, uuuh, gonna have to say the police might have some issue with Kraven turning all of New York into a death trap for his reality tv show. Then again, villains acting monumentally stupid seems kind of a thing that is just the norm in this series.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

http://www.slashfilm.com/batman-ninja-anime/

quote:

"Warner Bros. Japan and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment team for an eye-popping addition to the Batman animated legacy with Batman Ninja, a spectacular, all-new anime film coming in 2018. Be among the first to witness the premiere of colorful footage from this imaginative take on Batman and many of his connected characters. Panelists will include director Jumpei Mizusaki, character designer Takashi Okazaki, screenwriter Kazuki Nakashima, English-language screenwriters Leo Chu & Eric Garcia and some potential special guests.”

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Pass

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'll wait to see what the art looks like but yall couldn't have come up with a better name?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Will probably have the best animation on a DTV Batman film since, I don't know, loving Gotham Knight?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Skwirl posted:

Will probably have the best animation on a DTV Batman film since, I don't know, loving Gotham Knight?

Gonna laugh my rear end off it is is considerably better produced than the rest of their line of DTV stuff. Yeah we'll blow a budget on a niche re-imagining of Batman but gently caress investing money into Killing Joke, right guys?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

purple death ray posted:

I'll wait to see what the art looks like but yall couldn't have come up with a better name?

Batmanime.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Crossposting from CineD

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

First Visual of the upcoming Batman Ninja film

With some tidbits gleaned from twitter

- It will feature Batman and his Rogues Gallery traveling from the modern era to Feudal Japan.

- Red Hood will be in the movie.

- "It's not Japan through the eyes of Batman, but Batman through the eyes of the Japanese."

- Joker is voiced by someone with the initials "T.H."

- The fight scenes were filmed using live actors and that footage was then transformed into animation.

- The trailer featured Nightwing, Robin, Two-Face, and Gorilla Grodd.

And a look at Batman and Joker's figuarts

https://twitter.com/DLohRidah/status/916065444649488384

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

If we're going to do Asian-influenced Batman, can we just get more Batman of Shanghai shorts instead?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Toby Huss's Joker is going to Japan to kill fifty men.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Professor Wayne posted:

Toby Huss's Joker is going to Japan to kill fitty men.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Dexie posted:

If we're going to do Asian-influenced Batman, can we just get more Batman of Shanghai shorts instead?

Please? Those were great. I'm intrigued by this though, sounds like it could be interesting.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Crossposting from CineD
I would never trust promotional images for DC Animation at this point.

The rotoscoping part is interesting though. Hopefully it at least will look less boring.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10/08/squirrel-girl-animated-announcement/

E: oh right this isn't a tweet

quote:

That’s right, everyone’s favorite character is coming to animation in some shape or form, at some point in the future. If that sounds vague, it’s because Lane didn’t actually tell us what was happening. He just said that something was happening, and he would tell us later, before the end of the year.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
First look at the animated Constantine show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3X19gYJtCA

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I can't decide whether it's sad, hilarious, or both that the CW web cartoon has better animation than the DC Animated Movies. Probably better written too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

My issue with CW Seed is that I forget it exists. I'm also confused as to why WB invested in making another show for it when they need content for their new streaming service.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Batman The Animated Series is getting a full release on bluray next year. So I'm down for that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

X-O posted:

Batman The Animated Series is getting a full release on bluray next year. So I'm down for that.

Is it remastered or anything special? Or is it basically going to more or less be the Amazon streaming version?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ToastyPotato posted:

Is it remastered or anything special? Or is it basically going to more or less be the Amazon streaming version?

No real details yet, it'll be better than my DVDs for sure.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It's weird it's called Batman Ninja when he's very clearly a Samurai.
:goonsay:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

X-O posted:

No real details yet, it'll be better than my DVDs for sure.

And it's certain to be better than my Columbia House DVDs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

Polygon says they're remastering it.

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/10/...source=facebook

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

First look at the animated Constantine show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3X19gYJtCA

If this isn't just a exclusive teaser, then it looks like they're adapting the "All His Engines" graphic novel.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 9, 2017

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, this week's Spider-man was pretty great. I was getting kinda worried that with the Miles stuff and how Anya and Gwen are going to become Spider-Women pretty soon, that the more personal drama part of the show would get smaller as Peter's role as a leader and a part of the Marvel Universe got bigger. Expected this Halloween special to be just kinda nothing, but then it used Hulk and Banner in a pretty good way, with the secret identity also letting Peter know Harry better.

I really like this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I was genuinely surprised they had Banner show up at all, considering "goofy fun-lovin' Hulk 24/7" has been their go-to ever since Avengers Assemble.