Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Feenix posted:

What is that crackling sound constantly playing in Stardew?!

Known bug that they are working on fixing i think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

Kawabata posted:

While I understand that this thread has very strong opinions about XCX, the game was in no way, shape or means a disappointment, with positive reviews from "journalists", the public, and most youtubers.

It's also not cheaper than other Wii U titles, I don't know where you saw the 12 bucks.

It was hugely disappointing specifically for me.
I was full of optimism after the the original Xenoblade--which I loved enough to buy in three formats (Wii, 3DS, and WiiU)--but it failed to live up to my expectations.
I see that a lot of other folks in the thread share my sentiments.

XCX is priced 1460 yen new (that's 13 bucks, so I was off by a buck) and as little as 800 yen used (7 bucks) on Amazon Japan.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kawabata posted:

While I understand that this thread has very strong opinions about XCX, the game was in no way, shape or means a disappointment, with positive reviews from "journalists", the public, and most youtubers.

reasons i loved xenoblade:
- cool story
- fun characters
- great music

reasons i didn't touch xcx with a ten foot pole:
- no story
- bad characters
- lame music

sounds like a disappointing follow up to me

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kaubocks posted:

- cool story
- fun characters
- great music

- no story
- bad characters
- lame music

Nah it was good

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
XCX is a game that doesn't know what it wants to be. It has way too many half-implemented mechanics and its completely overwhelming. It makes you think it has a ton of depth but in reality almost everything is done in a sloppy and shallow way. For example, the game has you choose which faction to join and forces you to listen to a long speech about every faction and makes the choice out to be a huge deal.It turns out all picking a faction does is give you minor perks and you can freely swap your faction every day anyways. Its barely relevant but you wouldn't know that from the way the game introduces it.

I gave up on playing XCX about half-way through the main story when I realized how shallow it was. I picked up Xenoblade Chronicles later and enjoyed that so much I'd call it my favorite modern JRPG. They are completely different games.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kaubocks posted:

- cool story
- fun characters
- great music

- no story
- bad characters
- lame music

yeah pretty much, also the loss of the future-sight stuff which was basically the best idea ever in an RPG and losing it made most battles really samey and dull

it did have some awesome looking vistas though, so I had fun exploring for a while. once that stopped being fun I lost all interest in the game.

hopefully Xenoblade 2 is a little more like the first and not like X

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

SatansBestBuddy posted:

hopefully Xenoblade 2 is a little more like the first and not like X

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel.
Until I know for sure, I'm holding off on XB2.

Since I also frisbeed earlier Xenogears titles, I'm starting to think that Xenoblade was the exception and not the rule when it comes to Monolith-developed Xeno games.
(I also didn't like Baten Kaitos, and stayed well clear of Project X Zone.)

Douglas Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 9, 2017

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

HOLY gently caress DO NOT BUY STARDEW.

I played it for 12 consecutive hours and had no idea the whole day slipped away from me. No game has done that since... I can't recall. Maybe OOT.

I bought it on Friday and I'm already a week into Fall. I think I've put like 18 hours into it. It's fuckin good

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

The combat was good and the exploration was actually extremely good. Nothing else was. The characters were less appealing than cardboard cutouts, the faces were all weird, the music sucked, the story was generic anime nonsense, and if I see another closeup on weirdly rendered food I don't know what I'm going to do. XCX was actually very disappointing despite all of the buyer's remorse in me trying to prop it up with the knowledge that I was exploring an alien world by flying around in mech suits and dodging cool, huge enemies.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Despite its flaws I enjoyed XCX more than the original. It's biggest mistake was having a bunch of interesting quests with likable characters and meaningful choices tucked away in the side missions with no voice acting and a bunch of identical NPCs, while the main story was a colorful, fully voice-acted non-event that limited you to the two worst characters and ended as soon as it got interesting. The combat and exploration are both improved a lot over the original. (The music is great, though. I pity the people who can't appreciate the beauty of the NLA theme)

I'm sad to see that 2 looks like it's going to be XC1: Dumb Pants edition instead of taking X's formula and improving on it.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I think I'm the only person who thought the combat and exploration in XCX were actually much worse than the original

By diminishing how sticky aggro is and making any character able to heal through Soul Voice, your best option for every character is pretty much dps builds, and any character that's in a support class tends to be pretty bad. This gets worse when you get mechs, where you can alpha strike enemies til endgame. The exploration I didn't like because a lot of it felt to me like I was constantly making semi-circles and jumping up cliffs around enemies that were too high level for me to fight. Even supposedly critical path sections had random pockets of high level generic enemies. Xenoblade's areas were better constructed for player flow and not having to make constant mini-diversions around random high levels. If you wandered into a spot with level 40 enemies, you could assume that all of the areas in that area were level 40 and know to avoid it til later. The signposting in general was much better in the original.

Also boy the music was bad, it was the first time Sawano composed for a video game and it showed

XB2 looks like they've learned their lesson from XCX and are leaning back towards the original, but I'm more wary this time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Suspicious Cook posted:

The combat was good and the exploration was actually extremely good. Nothing else was. The characters were less appealing than cardboard cutouts, the faces were all weird, the music sucked, the story was generic anime nonsense, and if I see another closeup on weirdly rendered food I don't know what I'm going to do. XCX was actually very disappointing despite all of the buyer's remorse in me trying to prop it up with the knowledge that I was exploring an alien world by flying around in mech suits and dodging cool, huge enemies.

The main story is about twenty hours of utter loving unsalvageable trainwreck.

However; The 100+ hours of sidequests are actually really, really, good. Far better than they have any right to be. You wind up filling the city with about eight or nine alien races in all, (about six of which are completely missable if you don't go looking for their starting sidequests and unrelated to the main story), and the stories in the sidequests are really good. A few are even amazingly dark.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/10/the_nintendo_virtual_boy_could_be_getting_new_software

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Brb posting this in PYF worst Kickstarter project

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kaewan posted:

I don't have it on the Switch yet but on mac iirc you right clicked the bait and right clicked the rod.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Whoa. Wait.

Macs have right click now???

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I think I'm the only person who thought the combat and exploration in XCX were actually much worse than the original

I don't think you're entirely wrong in that assessment, since large aggro visions with ridiculous large active zones before you can run away do suck a lot. But on the other hand, XCX movement is really nice, nice enough that despite my frustrations with the former, the latter made it very tolerable to run around everywhere. Good movement in videogames is a lost art these days imo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel.
Until I know for sure, I'm holding off on XB2.

Since I also frisbeed earlier Xenogears titles, I'm starting to think that Xenoblade was the exception and not the rule when it comes to Monolith-developed Xeno games.
(I also didn't like Baten Kaitos, and stayed well clear of Project X Zone.)

There's only one Xenogears game and it's still the best thing with Xeno in the title.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The 100+ hours of sidequests are actually really, really, good. Far better than they have any right to be. You wind up filling the city with about eight or nine alien races in all, (about six of which are completely missable if you don't go looking for their starting sidequests and unrelated to the main story), and the stories in the sidequests are really good. A few are even amazingly dark.

I didn't finish XCX but I put 70 hours in and got my upgraded skell. Watching the city fill up and change as I did sidequests was indeed very good and probably my favorite part of the game.

Soundtrack kicks rear end too

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually really liked the virtual boy. Granted, I got it on clearance at Walmart for like $30, and I was like 15 at the time so my concept of good v bad was pretty skewed. I was also amazed that the controller had 2 dpads. Played the poo poo outta that golf game though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Red Alarm was pretty rad.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Teleroboxer owned hard.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I didn't know there was Picross...

Guess I have my night planned out

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Can't work......thinking too much about what I'm going to do in Stardew Valley when I get home.

I can't believe I didn't bring my Switch to work.....

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I'm like five days into Stardew and still don't have much of an idea what main things I should be doing. Went to the shop to see a bag I can't afford, found a board with everybody's birthdays and events, trying to clear the farm but get five trees in before my dude is tired.

What are the main things I should do this early? I need to start a list and not forget about it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Kaubocks posted:

- no story
- bad characters
- lame music
m..mods???

I only played a few hours of both but I enjoyed them both (and need to go back and actually play more of them).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

m..mods???

I've never played it.

I am a huge VGM fan though!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Louisgod posted:

I'm like five days into Stardew and still don't have much of an idea what main things I should be doing. Went to the shop to see a bag I can't afford, found a board with everybody's birthdays and events, trying to clear the farm but get five trees in before my dude is tired.

What are the main things I should do this early? I need to start a list and not forget about it.

Plant seeds, clear your farm. If it rains, go explore the mines. If you have extra time and are out of energy, go forage poo poo. I haven't really done anything but that yet and I'm almost through the Fall. Can't say I care much about NPCs and am just here to farm.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thinking about it, what a missed opportunity that Virtual Boy titles never got rereleases on 3DS

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

XB2 looks nothing like XCX so I think you're safe if you want to get it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

While I don't like the anime look it's basically what I asked for. XCX was weird with regular human bodies but anime heads. I said "Choose one or the other!" and well, they certainly did. At least the creature design is still stellar. Actually apply that to most anime, I love how they draw natural environment and animals and creatures, usually don't care for the design of humanoid characters.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nephzinho posted:

Plant seeds, clear your farm. If it rains, go explore the mines. If you have extra time and are out of energy, go forage poo poo. I haven't really done anything but that yet and I'm almost through the Fall. Can't say I care much about NPCs and am just here to farm.

Also getting the backpack upgrades should be top of your priority list, things get so much easier once you can carry a ton of poo poo around. Don't worry about clearing the whole farm right away, just get yourself a space to get some crops down then you can just chip away at the rest of it as you need the resources.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

njsykora posted:

Also getting the backpack upgrades should be top of your priority list, things get so much easier once you can carry a ton of poo poo around. Don't worry about clearing the whole farm right away, just get yourself a space to get some crops down then you can just chip away at the rest of it as you need the resources.

Oh yeah, I'm only just now finishing clearing it like 18 hours into playing. I should really buy that second backpack upgrade, I run out of room if I do things even slightly out of order in the morning on my barn > coop > sap > wine > crops rotation.

There is a part of me that wants to go start a fresh save now that I know how the game actually works, but that would be a loooot of time sunk on a "tutorial" after I finally have like 20 quality sprinklers set up.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 9, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/lost-sphear-preview-square-enixs-11303043.amp

Apparently Lost Sphear might actually be good

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Louisgod posted:

If you're strapped for cash, go down to the beach and start fishing (and also foraging for clams, oysters, sea urchins, and coral) and sell back to the fisherman guy. You could easily make a few hundred g's in just 5 or 10 min of fishing. Then as you level up your fishing it gets a bit easier since the green box gets bigger.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

njsykora posted:

Addendum: Gather enough wood to build a chest first. Even just trying to clear your farm is suffering with only 12 inventory spaces.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Manky posted:

Thinking about it, what a missed opportunity that Virtual Boy titles never got rereleases on 3DS

They kinda did if you use homebrew, apparently...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ9323yaQJY

DLC Inc posted:

XB2 looks nothing like XCX so I think you're safe if you want to get it

The last direct that showed XB2 made it look dull as hell imo

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 9, 2017

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Do we know yet if you can change equipment to change your appearance in XB2? Because I may die if I'm locked into that awful "here's the outline of your pants" look.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I think it's safe to say that XBX tried to be too much and didn't understand when to limit the systems they implemented.

The crafting system was an absolute slog and did little to make any one battle advantageous, getting the super weapons for Skells was tedious, trying to manage the 20+ characters from both an affinity and location standpoint was maddening, music ranged from pretty good to downright terrible (especially during cutscenes), on foot combat become incredibly pointless once you got your Skell, the varying skill trees felt too 'samey', most characters were an absolute bore, their aesthetics were just.. weird. I can go on.

There were some bright spots, though. The world itself was pretty fun to explore, the side quests for the various other alien races were neat, no fall damage was a welcomed change, managing quests was much easier thanks to a map and actual location of said quests, the main story could've been pretty neat if it wasn't trying to compete with the open world aspect of the game.

I'm really, really glad Monolith is going back to what made the original Xenoblade successful.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Maybe Stardew is like Minecraft in that certain types of people love it and other than that it doesn't resonate differently or at all? I am pretty indifferent to it so far but by 2 year old loves the poo poo out of it during the brief times we let her watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Not the same reviwer, but that site also thought I Am Setsuna was good, and that reviewer seemed to lean towards the same here. Not very convincing imo for those of us who didn't like what I Am Setsuna was doing.

I'll wait to see what others say. The article should've talked a little more about what the Memory system actually does to make this game stand out form being generic.

• Locked thread