Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

vermin posted:

I realized if this was a satire or parody series it would've jumped at the opportunity to do a 2001 Space Odyssey reference during the wormhole scene, but instead they just straight up did a wormhole scene. And it was good.

I thought that whole sequence was a pretty obvious Interstellar reference since the wormhole effects were pretty similar. Of course, it's been a while since I've seen Interstellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Was that species trying to buy the Orville the same as the head biologist from the first episode?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I'm still digging the show, but they really need to learn how to write an ending. So far no episode has had a real ending they just kinda stop. Each one could easily be ten minutes longer.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Heathen posted:

I'm still digging the show, but they really need to learn how to write an ending. So far no episode has had a real ending they just kinda stop. Each one could easily be ten minutes longer.

I thought the Bortis episode ended well, I don't know how much more it would have been worth dragging it out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Was that species trying to buy the Orville the same as the head biologist from the first episode?

No.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

I thought the Bortis episode ended well, I don't know how much more it would have been worth dragging it out.

Also with the 3rd episode I like how they didn't win the argument, a very non-Trek thing to do.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I thought that whole sequence was a pretty obvious Interstellar reference since the wormhole effects were pretty similar. Of course, it's been a while since I've seen Interstellar.

Nah, it's just that Interstellar established how an event horizon was supposed to look on camera. They hired a physicist and wrote a paper about it and everything. Wormholes look like they do in interstellar because that's how they should look according to modern physics.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The cool thing is that glowing part over the top? That's the accretion disk behind the black hole, the light is just bent to such an extreme that you can see what's on the other side of it.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
And here is one of the papers, if anyone is interested in skimming it over! There was also a special feature on making of the wormhole on the Blu-ray, so I bet that can be found on YouTube with some digging.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I think this was the first episode where the humor generally landed without feeling forced, or maybe I'm just getting used to it.

Everyone is slowly unclenching and getting used to the humor. The people that felt it was forced, that is.

Gynovore posted:

-----------Scenario One-----------

Network Executive: This better be good, I'm late for my lunch at Dolce.

Some Schlub: Yer gonna love this, Morty. It's a sci-fi show with spaceships and laser beams and four-breasted alien chicks. Thing is, we do a total clone of Star Trek, but just different enough so we don't get sued! Change the Federation to the 'Unity', the warp drive to the 'quick drive', the works. Kids eat that stuff up!

NE: (sighs) Look, Schlomo...

SS: But wait, you haven't heard the best part! Get this... we throw in a joke every episode! Maybe even two! Great idea, huh? We'll call it "Star Yucks!" Whaddya say?

Morty pushes a button. The schlub falls through a trapdoor into a room with Kirstie Alley chained to the wall, who devours him raw.

-----------Scenario Two-----------

Network Executive: Seth! Great to see you!

Seth McFarlane: Same here, Morty.

NE: What have you got for me today?

SMF: Well, just imagine Family Guy in space. We'll start with this captain who-

NE: (Hands McFarlane a gold-plated sack of money) I'm sold!

SMF: But I didn't tell you-

NE: Bah, that's just details. I'll fast-track you to production.

Two years later, The Orville comes out. It's 10% Family Guy style jokes and 90% real sci-fi, but Morty is too coked out of his skull to even notice.

That humor, I dunno, feels forced? See what I did there? Maybe I should relax.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

And here is one of the papers, if anyone is interested in skimming it over! There was also a special feature on making of the wormhole on the Blu-ray, so I bet that can be found on YouTube with some digging.

Theres a neat video linked in that paper on a simulation of what it would look like without the dramatic movie effect tunnel nolan added.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDpJqyaz_RM

(it would have been pretty boring in a movie to do it in that "realistic" way though :v:)

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This show is great. Has anybody yet said that this is the Z Nation to STD's TWD?
I don't know who Seth McFarlane is, but for all I care this "Family Guy" thing he's supposed to have done before could be a long, drawn-out Donald Trump election ad and I'd still support him cause this one is good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cingulate posted:

This show is great. Has anybody yet said that this is the Z Nation to STD's TWD?
I don't know who Seth McFarlane is, but for all I care this "Family Guy" thing he's supposed to have done before could be a long, drawn-out Donald Trump election ad and I'd still support him cause this one is good.

Having you been on mars, in a cave, with your eyes shut and your fingers in your ears?

Agreed, though, The Orville is good, bordering on great.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cingulate posted:

I don't know who Seth McFarlane is,

I'm guessing you're either not American or you don't pay attention to animation. Seth is the creator of Family Guy and American Dad, and also wrote and directed the movies Ted, Ted 2, and A Million Ways to Die in the West.

Seth gets a lot of hate due to the sophomoric humor featured in his work, as well as the use of "cutaways"--sudden breaks in the story of an episode to tell an unrelated joke. That said, there is some merit to be found--most people agree that the first few seasons of Family Guy have some truly inspired comedy, and American Dad's humor is more focused and character-based than Family Guy's. Ted, like the Orville, has a surprising amount of heart in it, considering that the film is about a foulmouthed stoner talking teddy bear.

Family Guy, in particular, features a lot of jokes that are, well, incredibly insensitive (not quite on the level of shows like South Park or Drawn Together, but it's close). Star Trek, on the other hand, is usually quite socially conscious, so when it was announced that Seth was heading a Star Trek-eseque show, there were a lot of people (myself included) that were concerned that his particular brand of humor would result in a show that, while looking and feeling an awful lot like Star Trek, would be something that Trekkies would be completely unable to enjoy. Thankfully, we were wrong. While The Orville does have some rough spots--especially when it comes to comedy--for the most part it handles potentially sensitive matters adeptly.

I still hate his smug loving face, though.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Fun fact: he also wrote episodes for Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, and Cow and Chicken

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

vermin posted:

Fun fact: he also wrote episodes for Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab, and Cow and Chicken

That monster! :mad:

I seriously don't get all the hate.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Tarquinn posted:

That monster! :mad:

I seriously don't get all the hate.

All popular things must be hated by the internet, regardless of quality.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

swickles posted:

Unironically this, ironically.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eyebeem posted:

Unironically this, ironically.

I hate this post.

Also THIS post. :mad:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Bloop posted:

I hate this post.

Also THIS post. :mad:

Welcome to the club, pal.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

swickles posted:

Nah, there are legitimate concerns to be raised about Family Guy. Usually when someone has a bad or incorrect opinion that's part of the joke (Brian vomiting for thirty seconds straight after learning the woman he slept with was actually Quagmire's dad post-transition is about how, despite all his claims to be an open-minded liberal, he's actually transphobic*) but the characters rarely get called out for being wrong, leading less-aware viewers of the show to think they're right in their lovely views.

*the joke might actually be "EEEEEW TRANS PEOPLE ARE GROSS" but I'm giving Family Guy the benefit of the doubt here

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 9, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Nah, there are legitimate concerns to be raised about Family Guy. Usually when someone has a bad or incorrect opinion that's part of the joke (Brian vomiting for thirty seconds straight after learning the woman he slept with was actually Quagmire's dad post-transition is about how, despite all his claims to be an open-minded liberal, he's actually transphobic) but the characters rarely get called out for being wrong, leading less-aware viewers of the show to think they're right in their lovely views.

That's also assuming Brian is the voice of reason when he has repeatedly been shown to be a complete and total blowhard that is hypocritical at its core.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

swickles posted:

That's also assuming Brian is the voice of reason when he has repeatedly been shown to be a complete and total blowhard that is hypocritical at its core.

You'd be surprised at how many people don't get that about Brian.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

lelandjs posted:

You'd be surprised at how many people don't get that about Brian.

Nah, I also watch Rick and Morty, so I know exactly how off base a fanbase can go.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Family Guy is basically a playroom for writers, for better and worse. Seth has done only the voices and had little creative input since 2011 because he's been busy pursuing his other projects. A lot of family Guy now is terrible but there are always gags that get me, usually the bizarre or the slice of life type stuff.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The rapid fire nonsense style of family guy makes it perfect for having on in the background while I'm sitting on the couch working or doing internet-y things. I can catch a joke here and there while not having a plot that demands attention. It's entertaining noise that does its job and doesn't pretend to be anything that its not.

If I am going to sit down and "watch" TV, it's not what I'm going to put on. If I'm going to sit down and have TV on while I do something else, it's a much better choice than Narcos.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I've grown to really enjoy this show. My reactions to the pilot was a bit mixed, as it felt it was uncomfotably trapped between being a off the wall comedy or serious sci fi, and couldn't pick either.

A few episodes in and it seems to have stuck the landing. The contrasting humour to the serious situations is really working for it, due to it mainly being character based reactions rather than outlandish situations.

I'm glad they went this route over the joke-a-minute alternative, as it leads you into a false sense of security, like you are just watching another episode of TNG when something utterly abrupt and surprising happens like the captain telling someone to gently caress off. Like the trope of non human character attempting to understand human concepts like pranks is something done to death in these shows, but taking it to the level of a full leg amputation is just the right amount of taking it one step further.

I can see where critics would fall off it. It's not exactly inspired satire of star trek more than its just literally a new adaptation of old material. You can almost imagine some wierd timeline shift in the 90s where post-voyager CBS decided to double down on a comedy Star Trek series in an attempt to address waning ratings, and this was the result.

It seems pitching it as a comedy was a trojan horse to making a new Star Trek that embodies slot of the spirit of the old ones. Without it I cannot imaging anyone greenlighting a purposefully dated monster of the week style show in 2017.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it should be noted that I still watch Family Guy. I just don't want Family Guy style poo poo in a show like The Orville.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Isometric Bacon posted:

I can see where critics would fall off it. It's not exactly inspired satire of star trek more than its just literally a new adaptation of old material. You can almost imagine some wierd timeline shift in the 90s where post-voyager CBS decided to double down on a comedy Star Trek series in an attempt to address waning ratings, and this was the result.

CBS didn't have anything to do with Trek until the various corporate mergers/splits in the last ~10 years. Voyager and Enterprise were under the old UPN network.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
A lot of the hate is because most of Seth's humor revolves around the late 70s and 80s. It's like 80s kids not understanding why Dick Van Dyke was hilarious.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I just think it's awesome that, when nothing is going on, they watch TV on the viewscreen. Because why stare at empty space?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's actually great.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Man I like this show, I really hope they plan on having veteran TNG actors on and I love the idea of the TNG crew being on the Union flagship

LostRook posted:

I've also seen the conspiratorial assertion that STD is the "approved" show, and thus critics felt the need to undercut this one.

Yeah, RT is terrible, but that's a pretty huge difference in the numbers, even if most non critics are fans and upvote it. Also ST:D does not deserve that 87%

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Why does a list called "Most Popular TV" include a show with an 8% critics score and a 51% audience score

Is it actually just "Most clicked article on this website"?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

LostRook posted:

I've also seen the conspiratorial assertion that STD is the "approved" show, and thus critics felt the need to undercut this one.

I remember this happening with Studio 60 and 30 Rock and boy were the critics wrong as hell on that one.

God Studio 60 was bad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

CBS didn't have anything to do with Trek until the various corporate mergers/splits in the last ~10 years. Voyager and Enterprise were under the old UPN network.

TNG and DS9 both aired on CBS. UPN was run by Paramount and they decided to make Voyager a flagship show for that network. CBS and Paramount were the same company until they split. CBS kept the rights for the shows and Paramount kept the rights for the movies.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cojawfee posted:

TNG and DS9 both aired on CBS.

They were both syndicated. Your local CBS affiliate may have bought the rights to show it in their area, but that wasn't universal. Where I lived, the two shows were on two different independent local stations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Powered Descent posted:

They were both syndicated. Your local CBS affiliate may have bought the rights to show it in their area, but that wasn't universal. Where I lived, the two shows were on two different independent local stations.

They ran back to back on my local Fox affiliate.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Eh, I didn't really care much for this episode. The syfy plot wasn't that bad, but the lame jokes and focus on MacFarlane didn't do it any favors. He just can't carry an episode. He is not that good.

Three things about the plot that really took me out of it:

- Charlize Theron just disappearing at the end. I know that this is the BttF time travel "logic", but it just doesn't fit in a (pulp) sci-fi show. It's too nonsensical and clashes thematically with the setting, like magic& dragons would. There are a couple of well established sci-fi time travel mechanics that don't break suspension of disbelief that much, so they should have went with one of these.

- that loving leg, falling through ceiling plaster, on a starship, in Theron's quarter. :chloe: MacFarlane doing his awkward bit really didn't safe the scene for me and only made it suck more.

- Super intelligent robot turns into a drooling retard and needs a simple concept explained to it with awkward metaphors and and cultural references by the crew. I mean, he could have just read the first paragraph of the spacewikipedia article on this subject. It would have taken 10ms.

You can do the "learning to be a human" trope right and wrong and this was just wrong. They should have outright started the whole plot with him trying to learn to be funny, which is truly a challenging thing, instead of trying to understand what humor is.

Welp, these are my crazy rambling, please print them out bury me in them. thx and god bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lelandjs posted:

I'm guessing you're either not American or you don't pay attention to animation.
Both, actually.

I've been re-watching a few TNG episodes, and while, yes, the trans episode of the Orville could have been woke-r, TNG (not to mention earlier stuff) was fifty percent progressive and fifty percent "The Perfect Mate" Fake Janssen declaring she's born with to please a man with natural authority. Sure, Kirk kissed Uhura, but then the Ferengi are about as close as any of us will ever come to watching actual Nazi propaganda about Untermenschen outside of Star Wars movies. They tried, but often, they failed, and that's what I'm expecting from this one, too.

I hardly expect this one to be able to capture the (awesome) ultra-progressive, in-the-future-all-these-silly-*isms-will-be-a-thing-of-the-past vibe as well as TNG did, and I do think that's kind of sad. But in a way, I feel this isn't even about The Orville and its writers, but about how times have changed. We're simply more cynical. Maybe it would be hard these days to do a genuine socially conscious TNG episode without feeling incredibly naive. And The Orville still captures the general optimism about the Trek series, and I think the heart's in the right place.
I don't know. Maybe it's just me who's cynical. Maybe a hardcore progressive TNG-style Star Trek would be just what the post-Trump world needs as a hangover cure.

Oh my.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

- Charlize Theron just disappearing at the end. I know that this is the BttF time travel "logic", but it just doesn't fit in a (pulp) sci-fi show. It's too nonsensical and clashes thematically with the setting, like magic& dragons would. There are a couple of well established sci-fi time travel mechanics that don't break suspension of disbelief that much, so they should have went with one of these.
This might have been in part to keep it from getting overly dark. She's a very humanised agent. If she's forced to stay in her past forever, that's a cruel punishment.

Also lol @ you not liking the hidden leg, just lol @ you