Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cowcaster posted:

oh boy anime visual novels and slenderman, two great tastes that go great together

I would genuinely be interested in a good visual novel that explores a good slenderman story. Spooky urban legend vs scooby doo and the gang, but they're all anime girls.

Like Corpse Party, but with less gore and more creeping dread and weirdness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Synthbuttrange posted:

JYDGE: So some levels have infinite enemies.

There's a mod that lets you use health to use special items.

There's a special item that deploys a turret or two.

There's another mod that heals you from kills.

You're dispensing an absurd amount of jystice there

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Cowcaster posted:

oh boy anime visual novels and slenderman, two great tastes that go great together

Thank you for this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Somebody make a proper Johnny 5 aces vn using one of those 'hurr, I'm a game dev' simulators aka game makers.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'm just going to keep going with zombies since I'm here. You can't get this version of the game on Steam anymore but maybe use it as a guidepost if you're interested in the Year One version.

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold
2. Rusty Lake Hotel
3. Rusty Lake: Roots
4. Left in the Dark: No One on Board
5. Daily Chthonicle: Editor's Edition
6. Eleusis
7. Dead Effect
8. Dead Effect 2

9. State of Decay

Once the zombie craze had fully engulfed the world of video games, it felt like a matter of time before someone took on the challenge of an open-world survival sim. It’s the ultimate expression of the zombie mystique, you against the necrotic forces of nature, struggling to survive by your wits and senses. And yet, despite the rise of Grand Theft Auto on one end and Left 4 Dead on the other, the industry simply could not deliver the quintessential zombie survival experience. Dead Rising was as close as they got until State of Decay rose from the wasteland, shambling about in a half-eaten shell of what everyone was hoping they’d get.

You enter this grim world as Marcus, a regular joe just returning to civilization from a camping trip with his pal Ed. The folks milling around the shore they return to take a pointed interest in their flesh, and from there it’s a journey of survival and discovery in a rustic land teeming with the walking dead. Small enclaves of survivors dot the landscape, offering chances to band together, resupply, and push back the zombie hordes. Not everyone wants to cooperate though, and the scattered story missions explore the new power dynamic that has emerged after society got its collective brains eaten.

Functionally, you’re going to find a lot of common ground between State of Decay and Grand Theft Auto. The third person running, climbing, and driving is immediately familiar, as is the clunky melee combat and sticky shooting. You’ll need to resort to bloodying things up often but stealth is an option, with a helpful detection radius painted on your minimap at any given time. Those with plenty of patience can approach the game from a quiet, hands-off approach but for the rest of us, mowing down zombies with pickups and roasting them with molotovs is perfectly acceptable.

There’s a lot of ground to cover in the sprawling valley, with multiple towns and plenty of outlying settlements. Almost every building can be entered and explored for items and resources needed for survival, though not without risk of being surprised by lurking zeds or tipping off the wandering hordes. High vantage points can be used to survey the immediate area and mark points of interest on your map, so if you locate a gun store or a really nice car you can find it again after wandering off. The map itself is extremely detailed and useful for navigating, a plus since the game world itself is a little light on points of interest to guide you.

I mentioned resources earlier, and these will be a large concern of yours for most of the game. Early on you’ll join up with a group of survivors and become responsible for keeping their haven running. That means scavenging for five specific resources such as food and fuel to maintain their stocks as they burn through them each day. These resources are also used to build new parts of camp and upgrade structures to provide new passive and active bonuses to everyone. You’ll be wanting to do this because you control not just one character but a team of them whom you can swap between when one gets hurt or tired. Bonuses can help you build up important stats or recover statuses quicker so you don’t have to do quite so much shuffling about.

Honestly I’m the kind of person who can be happily occupied collecting resources forever, but State of Decay found a way to sour me on it. Your supply stocks aren’t actually consumed very quickly and can last several lengthy days from full. In addition, they have surprisingly low limits so scavenging more than a few crates of each resource at a time is rather pointless. This takes a bit of the draw out of exploring, especially once you’re set with solid weapons, and then managing the rotation of tired survivors just becomes tedious as you whittle away at the story missions all over the map. And here too, there’s not much compelling story to stick with, just little vignettes of life with zombies to justify clearing out another infestation or rummaging for more supplies you probably don’t need.

Once I lost that hook to the core gameplay, other annoyances started to gnaw at my enjoyment. As with most game that feature durability, any weapon that’s not extremely strong will break in minutes and your cars can survive very little punishment. Combat as I mentioned is clunky and awkward, full of canned animations and stiff attacks. You’ll encounter plenty of little glitches as well, with zombies clipping through walls, vibrating across flat ground, and getting stuck in open doors. And what does work right isn’t always clearly explained, such as the outpost system and expanding your territory, perhaps because the tutorial extends hours into the game and holds important features back until it feels like dispensing them.

I know I sound pretty hard on the game right now, and that’s because I really started to enjoy State of Decay before the bottom fell out of it. Venturing out at night, casing and clearing houses for supplies, finding survivors in the wilderness to help, all of that appealed immediately despite my zombie fatigue. But none of the foundations go deep enough to make the game really compelling, and once that coat of paint comes off you begin to see how rough and unstable everything is beneath it. I think I’m ready for a good open-world zombie game, and State of Decay is almost there, but something tells me I could be doing better.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Senjuro posted:

Does that include the Jets'n'Guns soundtrack in your opinion? Because if they can just do that again I'll be more than happy.

Ah I've never played it, I'm just throwing out unsolicited opinions about awkward power metal.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I had pretty much the exact same experience with State of Decay, going from really enjoying the potential of the game to completely bored with the actuality. It feels really close to the zombie game I wanted to play but falls flat in too many ways.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i really liked the breakdown dlc for state of decay. its an endless mode where in addition to building up your enclave and keeping survivors healthy you have to repair an RV to move on to the next stage. you start with random survivors and in a semi-random part of the world map at the start of every stage . every stage is a little harder, fewer resources, fewer cars, more special zombies and higher resource requirements to fix the RV to progress.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If you're looking for zombie RPGs why not check out Survivalist? It was an XBLIG and it's pretty loving rad actually!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Neat, Shadow of War is available for pre load!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

You're dispensing an absyrd amount of jystice there

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/NinjaTheory/statuses/917405649654382594

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

SirSamVimes posted:

When I played Hollow Knight I knew for sure that it was a guaranteed game of the year.

Then I played Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and doubt entered my mind.

Now I've played Divinity: Original Sin II and I'm even less sure what the game of the year is.

And something tells me Wolfenstein is going to make the question even harder.

man is hollow knight really that good? I've been holding off playing other games but I'm tempted to try it out. So much hype though

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

man is hollow knight really that good? I've been holding off playing other games but I'm tempted to try it out. So much hype though

It's yet another mashup of Metroidvania mechanics and Dark Souls writing but does both those things better than most other games in its category, it's good.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Yes. It's still my GOTY, though I haven't been able to play some of the other big ones.

It's also my favourite metroidvania ever, and I've played quite a few. That's partly down to the aesthetic and atmosphere really clicking with me though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hollow Knight also has an insane amount of content with more coming. It's pretty fantastic.

Shovel Knight is still the best * Knight game though :smug:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Hollow Knight also has an insane amount of content with more coming. It's pretty fantastic.

Excuse me, Shovel Knight is good but it doesn't have cute bugs in it, therefore your statement is false

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Shovel Knight banks too much on nostalgia. Hollow Knight does its own thing and does it extremely well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nah, Shovel Knight hints towards nostalgia in aesthetic but mechanically but improves on everything and modernizes it. Yooka Laylee banks on nostalgia and fails to be interesting in any way.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't think Hollow Knight is very good tbh, because it gives you basically zero direction on where to go.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Grapplejack posted:

I don't think Hollow Knight is very good tbh, because it gives you basically zero direction on where to go.

Hit "M" to open your map, hth

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Which is good? Fosters a sense of exploration.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

corn in the bible posted:

so hey, don't buy overgrowth. it's pretty clear they just sort of... stopped making levels. several are bad, and they get worse as the game goes on. it also includes lugaru's story so that's an extra forty minutes of game, i guess?

if you already own it, which a lot of people do, then i guess enjoy, but...

Overgrowth is... weird, since it's clear they put a lot of work in - from the devlogs, if nothing else - but it still feels unpolished: the stealth mechanics don't really work with the open levels, there's not a lot to the story, and there's loading breaks between every single fight

On the bright side, it has the funniest jumpkicks since Way of the Samurai 4

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

It's not that linear. Most of the time you have multiple choices about where to go, all of which are equally valid.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Aw, just noticed that if you enter a mission where it rains in A Hat in Time, you get a raincoat.
It's small details like that that really marks it as a passion project.

Edit: Also, I like Shovel Knight, but to say it doesn't bank on nostalgia is just silly.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 9, 2017

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

The mayor gives you hints on where you can go next. Just... don't go into deepnest before you get some sword upgrades.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

overeager overeater posted:

Overgrowth is... weird, since it's clear they put a lot of work in - from the devlogs, if nothing else - but it still feels unpolished: the stealth mechanics don't really work with the open levels, there's not a lot to the story, and there's loading breaks between every single fight

On the bright side, it has the funniest jumpkicks since Way of the Samurai 4

yes, like you can drag a corpse but why? the enemies don't seem to notice them and even if they did there's no level where that would matter

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

That's a really tough call actually but I'm going to have to disagree.

Grapplejack posted:

That's a large part of why I like it. As others have said, pick a direction and you'll find something cool like 95% of the time, and the other 5% it will be obvious really quickly that you can't progress.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

il_cornuto posted:

That's a really tough call actually but I'm going to have to disagree.

That's a large part of why I like it. As others have said, pick a direction and you'll find something cool like 95% of the time, and the other 5% it will be obvious really quickly that you can't progress.

Yeah, for being so open it maintains a great pacing no matter what you choose to do, which is a hell of a balancing/design feat. I can understand people that don't like games that are that non-linear, but I encourage them to do what you recommend and just explore the game and find the cool stuff.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, for being so open it maintains a great pacing no matter what you choose to do, which is a hell of a balancing/design feat. I can understand people that don't like games that are that non-linear, but I encourage them to do what you recommend and just explore the game and find the cool stuff.

It makes repeated playthroughs more enjoyable since you can beeline for various things and skip others if you know what you are doing

Orv
May 4, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

yes, like you can drag a corpse but why? the enemies don't seem to notice them and even if they did there's no level where that would matter

So you can twist the corpse around as it grotesquely spurts blood from it's slashed arteries. That early level where you get to the camp with the watch tower and are given a knife, I jumped up on the watch tower and slit the guys throat, and then just sat there going :stare: as he continued to gush blood for about three minutes with an ever spreading PS2-era blood decal.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Grapplejack posted:

The fact that you think this is a bad thing means metroidvanias might just not be your thing.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Environmental Station Alpha is still peak metroidvania for me, but you can't go wrong with Hollow Knight.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orv posted:

So you can twist the corpse around as it grotesquely spurts blood from it's slashed arteries. That early level where you get to the camp with the watch tower and are given a knife, I jumped up on the watch tower and slit the guys throat, and then just sat there going :stare: as he continued to gush blood for about three minutes with an ever spreading PS2-era blood decal.

I play a lot of violent games but a video I saw of overgrowth years ago where a bunny slit another bunny's throat seriously bothered me more than anything I've played. The way it modeled the blood coming out in spurts was nasty as hell, ugh.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's extremely hosed up.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The Weeklong Deals kinda suck this week, at least in the decent:suck ratio I've got here. The only game from them I've played and would give a strong recommendation for is Shattered Planet, which is a solid little sci-fi roguelike you're sure to get $2 of enjoyment from. As usual you can find the review for that one and the other junk the sale churned up right over here.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought Hollow Knight was boring tbh. It is pretty though.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Digirat posted:

I play a lot of violent games but a video I saw of overgrowth years ago where a bunny slit another bunny's throat seriously bothered me more than anything I've played. The way it modeled the blood coming out in spurts was nasty as hell, ugh.

Yeah I remember playing Lugaru like 10 years ago and thinking 'oh yeah, it's just funny physics-based bunnies kung-fu fighting :)' and then the wolves come and you see your whole village with all your friends dying and you talk to one who's bleeding out and then the next level starts with a wolf bragging about having raped one of the bunnies and I'm just :gonk:

e: I guess Lugaru is like the video game version of Watership Down

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SirSamVimes posted:

The fact that you think this is a bad thing means metroidvanias might just not be your thing.

At this point the genre is so wide and varied that I don't think "a more clearly delineated intended path" is inherently antithetical to the concept. Though maybe I'm misunderstanding how nebulous Hollow Knight's exploration is, I haven't played it myself yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
truthfully the right approach is steamworld dig 2, which has a guide marker for your next intended destination that you can turn off immediately if you want to just tool around and explore