Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
spray deodorants motherfucker!!! also its totally normal in the UK and NL at least to use spray deodorants, nobody uses any other poo poo and i dont think you can even buy non-spray deodorant. also before the axe/lynx brigade come along on, that poo poo is only for chavs or teens

programming content:

AggressivelyStupid posted:

my boss is considering graphql for a thing at work, I was less than enthusiastic

yeah if he actually listens to you, i'd tell him that its not worth it. it looks very cool and you can have meetups and stuff about it but actually its just overkill and letting frontenders design all ur poo poo. if its a fairly basic CRUD API you'll be OK but if you're doing anything else, lol gl

you do not want to see the monstrosities that we've written to get gQL working in a "semi-enterprisey" way in python :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

speaking of vim-ing things up, i think im going to toy with the plugin that forces you to use hotkeys instead of mouse clicks. maybe not on pycharm or datagrip, but for loving around in rider at least

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
terrible programmer checking in :wave:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

spray deodorants motherfucker!!!
i really hosed that up :eng99: anyways you really should have stick deos, since im buying the british ones usually (bodyshop make pro hygiene stuff)

simble
May 11, 2004

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

How do program ?

from a whiteboard in my office

simble fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 9, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

oh right for the official terrible programmer checking in

what exactly does sql query plan thing do that it can't be run in read-only mode, and how and what can be done to avoid accidental fuckups with that (e.g. what would be the best way to discuss this with our less then stellar dbas (actually web developers doing dba stuff, not actual dbas) wrt getting analytics accounts the respective permission)

ive seen some mentions about creating a separate plan table or something but this all really is not something ive done much before, so im not sure where to start talking the talk

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

spray deodorants motherfucker!!! also its totally normal in the UK and NL at least to use spray deodorants,

spraycans were associated with ozone depletion, and once the clear roll-ons and gels got good enough they mostly fell out of favor.

also unlike your twee realm of elves and hobbits where the temperature barely cracks 21c and you are all hairless gracile manchildren, it gets loving hot in 'merica and you need some poo poo that will PLUG IT UP.

programming content:

rather than learning VB to do poo poo in excel beyond vlookup and record macro, I just dump everything out to python via gsheets, riffle shuffle it the way I know how, and then dump it back in.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
quoting this for the new thread because it is important

quote:

atom, a text editor with coat of drying up diarrhoea

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
idk how to manually attribute that to cincy sorry

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

you could just copy the quote from that thread, or do [quote="name"], neither tho is important imo

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Corla Plankun posted:

quote="terrible programmer"
in the opening tag

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

yeah if he actually listens to you, i'd tell him that its not worth it. it looks very cool and you can have meetups and stuff about it but actually its just overkill and letting frontenders design all ur poo poo. if its a fairly basic CRUD API you'll be OK but if you're doing anything else, lol gl

you do not want to see the monstrosities that we've written to get gQL working in a "semi-enterprisey" way in python :cripes:

i told him it's really fresh and the support for it isn't there versus REST being a mature standard

ultimately it won't be anything more than an endpoint to ask for info on what a Butt5000 is

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
oh yeah, I'm a terrible programmer, but I do webdev so that goes without saying

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
the ghost post still haunts us

visiting the page does nothing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

you just have to post to unlock a stuck post

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

gently caress, is there an equivalent to #ifdef in webpack or typescript or any noun.js?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well I sure hope not

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

HoboMan posted:

gently caress, is there an equivalent to #ifdef in webpack or typescript or any noun.js?

https://www.npmjs.com/package/ifdef-loader

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

HoboMan posted:

gcc -E

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

boy am i sure tired of swing's bullshit

too bad literally everything else requires approval from legal and also i'd have to rewrite this entire ui

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

too bad literally everything else requires approval from legal and also i'd have to rewrite this entire ui

Oh man. Swing in the year 2017? That's harsh.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ground floor

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

what's wrong with swing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres gotta be mvc/mvvm frameworks for swing these days, right?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what's wrong with swing

The UIs generated with it look out of place on any operating system. And it's antiquated Java garbage.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

carry on then posted:

if it's any comfort, the alternatives are all terrible too

I honestly think the only gui toolkit I've ever legit enjoyed using is tk of all things. it gets a surprising amount right.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just use native UI toolkits for whatever OS you are targeting.

WPF doesn't count as "native". Use Windows Forms if you're on Windows.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i uninstalled all by jetbrains tools and started using emacs and i love it, everyeone should do dthis

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rt4 posted:

i uninstalled all by jetbrains tools and started using emacs and i love it, everyeone should do dthis

source your quotes

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
[quote="“akadajet”" post="“477211677”"]
The UIs generated with it look out of place on any operating system. And it’s antiquated Java garbage.
[/quote]

consistent ui look and feel hasn't been a thing on any operating system for at least a decade

[quote="“akadajet”" post="“477211881”"]
Just use native UI toolkits for whatever OS you are targeting.

WPF doesn’t count as “native”. Use Windows Forms if you’re on Windows.
[/quote]

microsoft don't even do this themselves, why the hell should i

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i learned vim (well vim 101) when i started programming professionally 3 years ago and its p great so far

i learned using a rock to bash nails into wood when i started carpentry professionally 3 years ago.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

[quote="“akadajet”" post="“477211881”"]
WPF doesn’t count as “native”. Use Windows Forms if you’re on Windows.
[/quote]source your quoates

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what's wrong with swing

it's nearly impossible to do dialogs that size themselves appropriately because components will literally lie to you about their size on screen. like you can have a label wrap to 10 lines and it'll still tell you it's 16 pixels tall. that plus every layout manager will do the dumbest thing possible by default so you have to baby every component into arranging itself instead of just piling it into the middle of nowhere

of course now 1000 posters will come out of the woodwork to tell me I'm holding it wrong and I should have psychically come into the knowledge of the correct way which exists in one o'reilly book last updated 2003

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

rt4 posted:

i threw away all my tools and now i use a rock for everything. highly recommended.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i'd just like to stop by and express both my overall awfulness as a programmer and my satisfaction with pycharm

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

i threw away all my tools and now i use a rock for everything. highly recommended.

same. is all good, comrade, just remember the babushka's wisdom - don't sit on the rock if kold

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

anyways yeah to tl;dr my blabbering about sql thing before.

1) how difficult is it to make a table, give analysts write permission to it, and use it only for queries that generate execution plans, so that poo poo can be read only while execution plans can still be made and inspected?

2) how taxing are execution plans on the server? are we talking "finish the query and then think about it", or something better?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

current terrible programmer status: getting old of data.frams, so made a transition project to toy with data.table in r. probably the ugliest custom extension syntax that i've seen yet (hey its me, :=, ur brother) in an r library, but its balls to the wall fast. a bit fucky merge syntax (nomatch=0, i'm looking at you), but otherwise it's fairly great (especially on memory consumption, i really love to dozens of copies of multi-million cell data.frame getting cozy in my ram)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Is operator mono the worst programming font invented? I say yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wingdings is pretty bad imo

• Locked thread