Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
It's bothering me that I can't jump while walking to the left and firing in Cuphead.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

blaise rascal posted:

It's bothering me that I can't jump while walking to the left and firing in Cuphead.

weird, I don’t think I’ve noticed anything like that. the game does have some minor glitches here and there I think- once I died and the boss kept going so I had to task manager my way out.

also, this probably only stems from my frustration from my 20th bout with the clown, but I feel like sometimes the hit boxes can be just a little bit bullshit. like sometimes I make a shot that should have hit but misses yet if I get just a little to close I take damage without actually touching. I’m probably just nitpicking though.

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
it wont ever matter to me how long cuphead is because i dont think ill ever make it anywhere near the end. but its fun.

Starman Super DX

gitgud :twisted:

Tell me more!

blaise rascal

something about the cuphead controls just isn't agreeing with me. although I guess I have never played a game in its genre before, so maybe that is to blame

3dou

The best kind of sex is VHS.
Just finished setting up a Sven Co-op server, in case anyone is down to play. Currently not on it 'cus I just finished the HL campaign.

If anyone knows of any maps or models to add, let me know! I found a pack of 1gb of models on Steam but it seems too big to add to the server. Still thinking about it.

IP in case anyone is interested: 104.238.222.131
Just installed RTV on the server so you're not stuck playing HL1 campaign over and over. No custom models or maps just yet; wanted to work on the base server first.

Also maybe add me on steam? http://steamcommunity.com/id/3dou/

Scaly Haylie

i'm gonna chase my dreams and eat two edibles tomorrow byob. what's a good video game to play? no words, i wanna go on a journey

FutonForensic

Lizard Wizard posted:

i'm gonna chase my dreams and eat two edibles tomorrow byob. what's a good video game to play? no words, i wanna go on a journey

guessing no ps4 tho

Scaly Haylie

FutonForensic posted:

guessing no ps4 tho

i do have journey! however i just bought pyre

Starman Super DX

if it were readily available I would suggest Rez

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

Halfway through World 3 in Cuphead.

This is promising to be a real high-class bout.

Tell me more!

Scaly Haylie

Starman Super DX posted:

if it were readily available I would suggest Rez

It's easy to emulate iirc

Scaly Haylie

https://twitter.com/JustFlandre/status/915349618648649728

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Rez is perfect. Isn't there also a version available on PS4 now?

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

blaise rascal

blaise rascal posted:

I fixed this bug by remapping the movement keys to a different part of the keyboard. Take that frog brothers

Starman Super DX

found ur problem

Tell me more!

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
wow yeah who could play a game like that with a keyboard

Starman Super DX

can't rock thumb/half press on a keyboard

Tell me more!

blaise rascal

Gone Fashing posted:

wow yeah who could play a game like that with a keyboard
not me that's for sure. this flower is kicking my butt. great music though

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
*presses pause button*

Starman Super DX

blaise rascal posted:

not me that's for sure. this flower is kicking my butt. great music though

yeah after fumbling with my scalloped keys for about a minute in the first stage I switched to my PS3 controller and haven't looked back. I'd highly recommend SOME kind of controller for Qfeed.

Beat the robot and starlet last night but Cala Maria (the medusa) is giving me a run for my money. I really like how I can easily identify each of the bosses as "the flower", "the frogs", "the queen bee", "the dragon", etc.

Tell me more!

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i bought a controller to play isaac and its so much better for a lot of games. cook serve delicious apparently has controller support and i dont know how you could play that game on anything but a keyboard

d0grent

ruiner is a really good cyberpunk game so far, and also really loving hard.

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I miss Play4Real, the best gaming journalism site on the web!!!!

The site is gone but you can still access the archive and articles here

https://archive.is/N3Ri3

Scaly Haylie

ok it was more like 1.5-1.66 edibles but they're takin' hold!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YXr9I4QEWo

3D Megadoodoo

I'm one Aliexpress delivery away from making a drat "how for u to fix the dual shocks 4 triger" Youtube because there are literally zero videos or even picture tutorials on how to replace the trigger springs on the model of Sony Dual Shock 4 brand home computer entertainment software controller that I have :psyduck:

(Of course before figuring out how to do it myself I lost one of the sprins :qq:)

Starman Super DX

Up to King Dice and he's brutal as gently caress. It's a game board "roll the die to get to the end" type deals where every space is either a mini-boss fight or a safe space. There are some health up spaces and you CAN pick your number if you're savvy enough but you have to get to the end THEN fight King Dice himself without a break. Plus there's a Start Over space right before the end :cripes:

Tell me more!

blaise rascal

Insert picture of the cuphead game over screen with cuphead almost making it to the end of the boss.

vanisher

Cuphead looks like a cool idea

I'm playing Overcooked with the spouse and its fun (so far)!

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I really wanted Cuphead to come to PS4 until I watched some playthroughs and now I'm good just watching other people play. Man, that looks like a humbling experience.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Starman Super DX

mysterious frankie posted:

I really wanted Cuphead to come to PS4 until I watched some playthroughs and now I'm good just watching other people play. Man, that looks like a humbling experience.

practice on Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts or Mega Man 7 or something then work your way up to Qfeed

Tell me more!

blaise rascal

It's really not that bad. I've beaten 8 bosses and I'm not great at games.

At what point does an indie game stop being an indie game? Cuphead was made by 19 developers over 3 years. I feel like it should have probably cost more than $20

Starman Super DX

blaise rascal posted:

At what point does an indie game stop being an indie game? Cuphead was made by 19 developers over 3 years. I feel like it should have probably cost more than $20

See I don't know about that. Cuphead isn't really deep enough or big enough to be worth much more than twenty bucks. You're mainly paying for a really solid aesthetic and the gameplay, although very refined, isn't anything really new or special. Even the weapons are mostly kinda useless except for the main one and the charge shot. I'd pay full price for it if it had six to eight worlds and enough content to keep it interesting for that long, and it doesn't have either of those things. The lines between indie and mid-range dev are starting to blur though with poo poo like Cuphead, Rim World, A Hat in Time.

A fellow goon made a good comparison- We're starting to move past the "NES" era of indie game. Tons of different low level devs, a lot of people trying the same things and at the same time throwing whatever at the wall to see what sticks. Now we're entering the SNES era, more refinement, more unique styles (Cuphead) and twists on the old that make them seem newer and more interesting (A Hat in Time, although admittedly I haven't touched that one quite yet)

Tell me more!

Scaly Haylie

I'm interested in A Hat In Time but also heard that the creator doxxed someone sooooooo

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 11, 2017

deep dish peat moss

It's like when "indie music" became a thing instead of meaning music that was made independently, and "indie labels" started popping up. I don't think indie game really means independently made anymore, it's just sort of a genre meaning relatively lower production values

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

blaise rascal posted:

It looked crazy hard when I watched the Jaboody Dubs guys playing it in co-op. But then John Wolfe played it, also on normal, by his lonesome and it looked way easier. Maybe 2 player is harder, or they're just really bad at it?

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

blaise rascal

I just hate to think that creators aren't making enough money for the things they create. I'm sure the cuphead studio's fine because the game has sold so many copies, but now other developers probably feel like they have to make as polished of a product or reduce their prices in order to compete.

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's like when "indie music" became a thing instead of meaning music that was made independently, and "indie labels" started popping up. I don't think indie game really means independently made anymore, it's just sort of a genre meaning relatively lower production values
this makes sense

It looked crazy hard when I watched the Jaboody Dubs guys playing it in co-op. But then John Wolfe played it, also on normal, by his lonesome and it looked way easier. Maybe 2 player is harder, or they're just really bad at it?
I think the bosses have double HP in 2-player mode. This seems like it would make 2-player mode MUCH more difficult than 1-player mode. If the odds of me killing a boss on my own is 20%, and the odds of my friend killing the boss on his own is 10%, then the odds of us killing it together in 2-player mode is only 2% because we BOTH have to do an entire boss's worth of damage to it. It's kind of a P(myfailure v yourfailure) = P(myfailure)*P(yourfailure) thing. Granted this ignores the fact that you can parry-revive your pal, and it assumes that one player can't win if the other player dies forever, but I still feel like 2-player has gotta be more difficult.

Starman Super DX

blaise rascal posted:

I just hate to think that creators aren't making enough money for the things they create. I'm sure the cuphead studio's fine because the game has sold so many copies, but now other developers probably feel like they have to make as polished of a product or reduce their prices in order to compete.

I don't see a problem with devs having to make a complete, polished product at a reasonable price that isn't pixel adventure 63 or a minecraft/terraria clone. There should be a new precedent set considering that AAA titles don't even usually have the level of polish (or value) that Cuphead has.
I'm not saying it's a perfect game either, but it's certainly right to set an example as to what the standard of what a good game should be for it's price. At first I sneered at Rim World's $30 price tag but goddamned if I haven't already gotten more than thirty dollars worth of gameplay out of it- and that game isn't even done yet. Even Cook, Serve, Delicious, is only ten bucks and, despite a shocking amount of depth, you're just not going to get much more entertainment than that out of a few sessions every couple months or more.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that personally as a consumer and very particular player of games, I'm more likely to respect and give money to a dev that's putting a reasonable price tag on it's product.

Maybe I would give MDHR another five bucks or so, but that's kind of pushing it too. It would feel like a tip at that point honestly, not that they wouldn't deserve it for the exceptional job they did, but I just can't see it being built into the price of the game. I played it for about a week and aside from the final boss I'm basically done with it. It has passable replayability and multiplayer, but idk. I just don't see it being worth much more beyond that.

More pissing and moaning below! Otherwise just ignore me. You probably should.
I mean I'm looking at my game shelf right now and the last few huge titles I can earnestly called $60 games are basically all of the Dark Souls games, Bloodborne, Dishonored: Definitive Edition, Super Mario 3D World, plus maybe Mario Kart 8 and Smash. The rest? Final Fantasy XV, The Last Guardian, GTAV- All senseless production values and overblown, unnecessary shows of technology. They're beautiful games to be sure, and TLG is an art project more than anything, but for the most part they're empty, short, and lacking any soul or substance. Even Bayonetta 2 I think was only forty bucks, and even so it had to include the first Bayonetta along with it because the sequel just isn't that deep or long. Christ, I picked up Dishonored 2 and it was literally giving away Dishonored: Definitive Edition for free, and this is something PS+ and Games with Gold does on a regular basis. Ultimately, it feels as though the entire industry has been completely devalued with inflated, purposeless costs, and it's incredibly refreshing to see a good, solid game at a price it deserves.

The polish and effort put into AAA games.

/goonsay /dumbass rant

e: I should note that isn't directed at you, blaise, or anyone in particular. I just care too much and will shout it at anybody who will listen. I'm glad you want them to see more money though. MDHR did a great job and worked passionately at something really great when so few people seem even remotely interested in taking the time and effort anymore, and that's pretty commendable in my book.

I also love the obvious nose thumbing as Disney copyright. I can't believe nobody's talking about that.

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 11, 2017

Tell me more!

Scaly Haylie

getting a switch tomorrow for my 32th, what are the good games for it? i've got a few definite buys in mind but i don't want to miss something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT

il pistone e male

Lizard Wizard posted:

getting a switch tomorrow for my 32th, what are the good games for it? i've got a few definite buys in mind but i don't want to miss something

The games I played most on the switch were MarioXRabbids and PuyoPuyoTetris.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!