Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, from all of you SNES-having goons (growing up I had a Genesis instead) what are your recommended sports games, one game per sport (the only exception being hockey, since whatever you guys suggest, I'm putting NHL94 on there, even if it's not the resounding favourite)?

I'm not huge into sports, but I'd like a good mix on there. For reference, while my favourite football and baseball games are Mutant League Football and Base Wars respectively, I sometimes do really appreciate realism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Super International Cricket is your only choice for that sport. It's an Australia-only PAL game so no idea if it has issues.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
NBA Jam

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm not huge into sports, but I'd like a good mix on there. For reference, while my favourite football and baseball games are Mutant League Football and Base Wars respectively, I sometimes do really appreciate realism.

For tennis, Super Tennis. For soccer, International Superstar Soccer Deluxe. For street fighting, Super Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (fight me, I will destroy you with Guile).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also I was playing super star wars, is it the emulator causing all the slowdown or was the game always like that?
Absolutely part of the game.
Empire would go slow-mo when doing saber spin levitate through the level. Then it would get super fast when swinging the saber randomly.

Btw:
At title screen
A, A, A, A, X, B, B, B, B, Y, X, X, X, X, A, Y, Y, Y, Y, B

Empire:
A B Y X A B Y X A B A B Y X X Y A B Y X

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there any reason link to the past randomizer wouldn't work on this? I've been intending to try that out.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Is there any reason link to the past randomizer wouldn't work on this? I've been intending to try that out.

Randomizers generally output compliant roms so should be fine, but you'd have to upload new roms to change seed or other parameters

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Just tried it out with the enemy randomizer patch applied and it works perfectly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

univbee posted:

Randomizers generally output compliant roms so should be fine, but you'd have to upload new roms to change seed or other parameters

Oh darn I thought the seed changed based on filename or something

Caros
May 14, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Absolutely part of the game.
Empire would go slow-mo when doing saber spin levitate through the level. Then it would get super fast when swinging the saber randomly.

Btw:
At title screen
A, A, A, A, X, B, B, B, B, Y, X, X, X, X, A, Y, Y, Y, Y, B

Empire:
A B Y X A B Y X A B A B Y X X Y A B Y X

You didn't even have to google that, did you?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Here is proof of the randomizer running on the SNES Classic.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rirse posted:

Here is proof of the randomizer running on the SNES Classic.

What is this? Just a hack that places random enemies around?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

More or less. It makes sure you always have a winnable game. Give it a clean ROM and it'll patch it into nonsense.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Bioshuffle posted:

If I want to get one before the end of the week, will eBay be the best option? I only see a few listed on craigslist, but the cheapest one I see is for $190.

If my understanding is correct, prices will continue to rise if I wait until Christmas. Might as well get it while I can. I know they're going to release more, but who knows when that will be and how many it will be?

Dunno where you live but I've been keeping an eye on a few places and my local Craigslist already has some scalpers down to $150. Could probably haggle someone down to a better price, worse they could say is no or ignore it. I've honestly thought about spit balling and trying to get someone to take $120 on one but I'll probably wait until it gets closer to November to see if prices keep going down or I get lucky and grab one in a store.

Also check local buy/sell/trade Facebook groups if you have that. And letgo/offerup.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Megaman X2 definitely has some crazy sound distortion and slowdown on the Bubble Toad stage. :(

Fortunately, the rest of the game is playable, and that one bit isn't too bad.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That was creepy... got partway through the intro of Mario Golf Advance Tour when it crashed on me, and the digital aliens living in my home theater tried to make contact. So Mario Golf Advance Tour doesn't really work.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

The LTTP randomizer scrambles the locations of every item in the game. The program makes sure the ROMs that it generates are still completable, but you'll end up taking a different path through the game every time depending on what items you find and what areas those items unlock access to.

The enemizer is an add-on that additionally mixes up what types of enemies appear where. And there's an entrance randomizer variant too, that scrambles which doors in the game lead to which places.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

[quote="“Supercar Gautier”" post="“477231138”"]
The LTTP randomizer scrambles the locations of every item in the game. The program makes sure the ROMs that it generates are still completable, but you’ll end up taking a different path through the game every time depending on what items you find and what areas those items unlock access to.

The enemizer is an add-on that additionally mixes up what types of enemies appear where. And there’s an entrance randomizer variant too, that scrambles which doors in the game lead to which places.
[/quote]

Interesting.

Are there any LTTP romhacks worth playing? I know Parallel Worlds has a reputation but I hear the newer easier revision is pretty good. Anything else?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

It'd be really fun to use hacking tools to replace the default copy of FF6 with one using the Beyond Chaos randomizer on an unwitting friend's SNES classic

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

When I was younger I really enjoyed Super Baseball Simulator 1.000. Your players basically have super powers, but the game itself is restrained enough to still be baseball.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Morby posted:

NBA Jam

Go with NBA Jam TE imo.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ok, from all of you SNES-having goons (growing up I had a Genesis instead) what are your recommended sports games, one game per sport (the only exception being hockey, since whatever you guys suggest, I'm putting NHL94 on there, even if it's not the resounding favourite)?

Whatever NBA jam (I had college jam for whatever reason growing up) and NHL 96 or 97. Personally, sports games don't age near as well as *others.

*exception: NFL Blitz 2000.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

When I was a kid I loved Super Baseball 2020. No idea how it holds up, but you can buy upgrades as you play to give your favorite characters buffs at the right opportunity. You can also play as a robot team that I think has better stamina, but can blow up if you overuse power

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Whatever NBA jam (I had college jam for whatever reason growing up) and NHL 96 or 97. Personally, sports games don't age near as well as *others.

*exception: BLADES. OF. STEEL.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
uniracers has a weird thing where the cpu racer will flip out and just display a sprite in the middle of the screen. also is there a way to get every game to show up on one screen without folders, or is 21 the max?

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

uniracers has a weird thing where the cpu racer will flip out and just display a sprite in the middle of the screen. also is there a way to get every game to show up on one screen without folders, or is 21 the max?

Disable folders in the hakchi settings. I have 59 games on the main screen

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Are these things still hard to get? I was thinking about getting another one as a gift for the holidays.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

XOIC of Radishes posted:

:captainpop:

Please tell me this game is filled with "timeless" SA memes and references that absolutely no one will remember.

Christ I forgot that existed and how popular it was. Think every one of the posters behind it are long gone.

Also making me feel old, since the game was relatively recent when they started on that in 2001, and now the game is nearly a quarter century old and the rom hack is almost 15.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone wanna share a screenshot of their choice of games?

Also, I just logged into SA on a computer for the first time in a week and everything is loving large and quotes don't work anymore.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone wanna share a screenshot of their choice of games?

Also, I just logged into SA on a computer for the first time in a week and everything is loving large and quotes don't work anymore.

They work fine for me, also I think Lowtax recently said he increased the font size a little recently.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Nintendo posted one last dev interview for the SNES Classic: Kirby Super Star, with :argh: SAKURAIIIIIIIII :argh:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Rabid Snake posted:

Are these things still hard to get? I was thinking about getting another one as a gift for the holidays.

Right now, yes. But who knows how quickly restocks will come in over the coming months.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Dave Angel posted:

For tennis, Super Tennis.

Smash Tennis is better imo but from what I understand it's currently on the Hakchi "buggy list". I'd wait for a fix for sure though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's a link to a Neogaf post with a patch to get Street Fighter Alpha 2 running.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=251539037&postcount=1914
Post back if it's working for you, cause I just get a garbled mess.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I tried LOTR last night but the audio was a garbled mess. Some other games seem to run at a weird rear end aspect ratio also. :/

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

drat, how did I forget about blades of steel. That's was def a great game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Is anyone else having interrupt issues pressing and holding A, then trying to hit B and it doesn't register? Some of these running spark jumps on Super Metroid have taken me multiple tries because the controller isn't reading the B. Tried both of my controllers and found it to be an issue.

The other issue is pulling off horizontal or angled shinesparks, but I think that's more because I recently played Zero Mission and the pause when you first jump to then direct it is a lot longer in that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Duckman2008 posted:

drat, how did I forget about blades of steel. That's was def a great game.

That's fair, but I was specifically asking about SNES sports games. I love Blades of Steel and Ice Hockey equally, and was shocked that at least the latter wasn't included in the NES Classic, as it's first party and excellent. With Blades of Steel being Konami, there's potential for them refusing to allow it, but why wouldn't Nintendo include their own well-received and super fun hockey game? :iiam:

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Thanks for the advice about buying one! Managed to nab a familcom mini for $119 shipped. I might hold on to it just to see how the price develops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Can't go wrong with either version of Jam but I'd get NBA Live 95 too. EA basketball was clunky and lovely until Live 95 rebuilt the whole thing into something awesome. If you want, get 96 because it has an expansion draft mode for the Raptors and Grizzlies.