Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you want an NBA Jam, get Hangtime, which was the follow-up after the Jam name was sold off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I haven't looked at hacking this thing yet, but it reads compressed roms, right? I'm pretty sure my snes romset is some collection which includes all releases (Japan, NTSC, PAL) and later revisions of the games, in a single archive for each game. Will I need to pull out from the archive the individual US/JP rom for whatever I want to put on it?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd recommend it. Hakchi compresses then itself when writing

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe

irlZaphod posted:

I haven't looked at hacking this thing yet, but it reads compressed roms, right? I'm pretty sure my snes romset is some collection which includes all releases (Japan, NTSC, PAL) and later revisions of the games, in a single archive for each game. Will I need to pull out from the archive the individual US/JP rom for whatever I want to put on it?

I believe it compresses the games as you add them to the library. I picked about 40 games out of a giant pack then took the time to zip them individually before dragging them in to Hakchi, and I think that was just a big old waste of time. But yes, if you already have them in a zipped format you don't need to expand them.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ok, from all of you SNES-having goons (growing up I had a Genesis instead) what are your recommended sports games, one game per sport (the only exception being hockey, since whatever you guys suggest, I'm putting NHL94 on there, even if it's not the resounding favourite)?

I'm not huge into sports, but I'd like a good mix on there. For reference, while my favourite football and baseball games are Mutant League Football and Base Wars respectively, I sometimes do really appreciate realism.

Mega Man Soccer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you want an NBA Jam, get Hangtime, which was the follow-up after the Jam name was sold off.

Nice! Any glaring omissions, or is it literally just more of the same (which I'd love)?

EDIT:

Nephzinho posted:

Mega Man Soccer.

I assume you're joking, since everything I've heard about this game is that it's bad to terrible.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If he's got one 7z or whatever with a bunch of different versions in it though, won't it get confused?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You can open a .7z in 7zip and drag a particular file from there to Hackchi without having to extract anything first.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 10, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Al Borland Corp. posted:

If he's got one 7z or whatever with a bunch of different versions in it though, won't it get confused?
Yeah this was the other thing. I think whichever emulator I was using let you pick the version you wanted or something? I forget, it's so long since I got them. Who knows if I even still have them. :v:

I probably won't be putting much on, since I never owned a SNES I don't really have any nostalgia goggles for too many games which aren't on the Mini. But I might like to throw FFV on there, and maybe the SFC Fire Emblem games.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I had to send my hori controller back because the receiver was busted from the getgo, I asked for a replacement but if they can't is there another option for a wireless controller? Honestly I hope I can get another hori one cause the dpad felt nicer than the ones that come with the console.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

track day bro! posted:

I had to send my hori controller back because the receiver was busted from the getgo, I asked for a replacement but if they can't is there another option for a wireless controller? Honestly I hope I can get another hori one cause the dpad felt nicer than the ones that come with the console.

Nyko has it's SNES Miniboss. No idea what it's like, but the NES one was great.
https://nyko.com/products/super-miniboss-for-snes-classic-edition

There's also this from Powerplay.
https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/powerplay-snes-wireless-turbo-controller/26872493
The pad looks a bit dodgy to me.

edit: 8bitdo have a bluetooth receiver for the NES classic where you can use their wireless controllers, or even a dualshock 4, but it doesn't support the mapping quite right for SNES. Apparently there is/will be a patch to sort that out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 10, 2017

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
So far the main use of my Super Nintendo which plays Super Nintendo games has been to start playing through Gameboy Advance titles that I never owned since I skipped a couple generations there. Minish Cap and Four Swords are currently in play and I heard Mario vs. Donkey Kong was good.

Also while scrolling through a list of games my 6 year old saw 'Barbie Vacation Adventure' so...we spent some time searching Barbie's mansion for presents hidden in microwaves last night.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

track day bro! posted:

My coworker got some wireless controllers in her GameStop bundle and she says they were great. I believe the brand is Yok and they're $20.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I assume you're joking, since everything I've heard about this game is that it's bad to terrible.

I liked it. :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ballz posted:

I liked it. :shobon:

I legitimately want to know more. I mean, I'll give it a try, but I also (whenever I get my SNES Classic) don't want to continually keep going back to loading on more games, removing some, etc etc. I'm topping the device at 40, so I'm trying to get, to me, the best 19 games I can on there. The MK trilogy, NHL94, and Chrono Trigger brings that number to 14 left.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I remember Mega Man Soccer being fun when I was a kid but I also used to spend hours throwing a football onto my roof and running around trying to catch it as it bounced off.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

MegaMan 7 is not as good as I remember it being. Why are there so many cutscenes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kelp Plankton posted:

MegaMan 7 is not as good as I remember it being. Why are there so many cutscenes

It calms down after the intro level

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

techknight posted:

TUSH for quickly checking whether or not your ROM has a header, and changing it (explained below)

Way back some pages, but thank you very specifically for posting this tool. Anyone who wants a good full guide to dealing with roms and patching and stuff should click back through to the full post. (Assuming quote links are working, those have been weird recently)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Manky posted:

Way back some pages, but thank you very specifically for posting this tool. Anyone who wants a good full guide to dealing with roms and patching and stuff should click back through to the full post. (Assuming quote links are working, those have been weird recently)

Link to the post?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

Link to the post?

Ha yeah, I could just post a link couldn't I? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783186&pagenumber=199&perpage=40#post477178400

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just gonna quote it for this new page.

techknight posted:

You need to get the original ROM and then patch it yourself. There's a quite a mess of utilities involved. For anyone who hasn't done this before, I present a mini guide:

How to patch translations and hacks onto ROMs for the SNES Classic

The best source for the most up-to-date English translations, weird level hacks, and utilities is ROMhacking.net

Here's the software you'll need:

Floating IPS for applying patch files to ROMs
TUSH for quickly checking whether or not your ROM has a header, and changing it (explained below)

Obtain a patch in the form of an IPS file

Have a look through the translations section on ROMhacking.net. You can limit your search by platform, so be sure to select Super Nintendo from the dropdown. (The download link on each page is not very prominent, so use ctrl+f to find it if you can't see it at first. The site may ask you to verify that you're not a bot before it lets you download your patch.)

Unzip the download, and have a look through whatever README or other text file is included in the zip. This file has very important information that you need to properly patch your ROM.

The two things that you need to know, is whether the patch needs to be applied to a "headered" ROM or an "unheadered" ROM, and, which version of a ROM the patch applies to.

Headers

In the old days, cartridge dumping tools would add a small section of information about the cart to the top of a ROM file. That information was necessary in back when people were copying ROMs onto floppy disks that plugged into a SNES add-on that enabled piracy.

That information is largely just ignored by modern emulators, so more-recent dumps of SNES ROMs don't include that information at all.

Versions

When cartridge games were found to have been released with a serious bug, companies would sometimes update the game and release all new cartridges from that point with the new version. One of the most famous examples of that on the SNES is the "sketch" bug in the initial US release of Final Fantasy 6 (FF3). In later shipments of the game, the bug is fixed.

That means a patch you download for Final Fantasy 6 might require any of six different versions of the game. These three distinct versions, plus headered or unheadered:

Final Fantasy III (USA)
Final Fantasy III (USA) (Rev 1)
Final Fantasy VI (Japan)

Original game ROM

This could come from your own cartridge if you have one of these, but otherwise a quick google search will generally get you what you need. If you do get a ROM from who-knows-where, the older that dump is, the more likely it is to have a header.

How to tell if your ROM has a header

For me, the quickest way was to load TUSH and browse for a file:

As soon as you load a ROM, it will let you know whether there's a header or not. If there's no header, and your IPS file requires one, go ahead and click Add Header and you're ready to patch. (as well as the reverse situation)

Applying the patch

Load up Floating IPS and click Apply Patch:

That will prompt you to select the IPS file, then select the ROM file, and finally the name of the new ROM file that you want to output. Make note of where you saved that, and then add it via hakchi.

Exceptions

There are some exceptions. There were other ways of storing ROM files that I haven't gone into, and the older the translation, the more likely it is that something extra has to be done. ROMhacking.net will sometimes list "Addendum" patches that roll up changes and are meant to be applied to more modern ROM dumps, like with Tales of Phantasia for example: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2335/

Others have their own separate patching tools.. Radical Dreamers - the visual novel prequel/sequel to Chrono Trigger - has an EXE file to run instead of an IPS file: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/403/

Good luck!

I hope that clears it up a bit if you've never patched a ROM before - but if you run into trouble there's lots of us in the thread who can answer questions.

Edit:
Oh yeah, also I found a lot of good high-res box art scans through here if anyone needs it: https://games.alphacoders.com

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Has anyone had any luck with DBZ: Hyper Dimension of Super Street Fighter II running on SNES Mini? They're the only two games I have that don't seem to run.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Any chance of a new thread with a FAQ? Seems the same questions keep popping up.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Think Geek and GameStop will be restocking today with unbundled SNES minis. Good luck, goons!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Just gonna quote it for this new page.

This is a nice guide but you’d be doing a lot of unnecessary work.

Download your patch. It’ll be an ips file.

Download the ROM.

Download LunarIPS.

Open it.

Locate the ips file.

Locate the ROM.

Done.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I got a super famicom mini and was able to put Hakchi2 on it easily enough. Then I added all of the english versions of the games since I don't really read Japanese. It gave me some C7 error on a couple, but I found working versions of those too. I'm hoping for an english translation patch for the menu at some point too. Still, I ordered it on release day and it ended up being about $86 including shipping. I didn't really expect that. And I like the look compared to the American one, but I still want one of those when it gets easier to get one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Cultisto posted:

So far the main use of my Super Nintendo which plays Super Nintendo games has been to start playing through Gameboy Advance titles that I never owned since I skipped a couple generations there. Minish Cap and Four Swords are currently in play and I heard Mario vs. Donkey Kong was good.

Also while scrolling through a list of games my 6 year old saw 'Barbie Vacation Adventure' so...we spent some time searching Barbie's mansion for presents hidden in microwaves last night.

Play all of the Mega Man Zero and Castlevania games, and both Metroid games are worth playing. They're all loving amazing.

GBA had so many good games.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I want to recommend The Adventures Of Batman And Robin to anyone who wants a really cool and fun platformer/beatemup hybrid thing. It's authentic as hell to the 90s animated series, music and art and all. Levels pull from some really iconic episodes too, like Riddler's Minotaur maze. I never knew about this game back in the day but it's worth playing for sure.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

I want to recommend The Adventures Of Batman And Robin to anyone who wants a really cool and fun platformer/beatemup hybrid thing. It's authentic as hell to the 90s animated series, music and art and all. Levels pull from some really iconic episodes too, like Riddler's Minotaur maze. I never knew about this game back in the day but it's worth playing for sure.

Co-sign. AVGN put it on my radar, I've always wanted to play it, so this was a great excuse to do so. Also Death and Return of SuperMan is great.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Any chance of a new thread with a FAQ? Seems the same questions keep popping up.

I'm going to edit the OP, just haven't gotten around to it yet. :effort:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kelp Plankton posted:

I recently learned how much the Mega-CD version of that game goes for, and it was a hell of an eye-opener ($2,000, USD :retrogames:)

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

I legitimately want to know more. I mean, I'll give it a try, but I also (whenever I get my SNES Classic) don't want to continually keep going back to loading on more games, removing some, etc etc. I'm topping the device at 40, so I'm trying to get, to me, the best 19 games I can on there. The MK trilogy, NHL94, and Chrono Trigger brings that number to 14 left.

mega man soccer is fun if you played it when it first came out and you were a kid and you only got to buy a few games a year and you had to convince yourself it was a good game due to stockholm syndrome. it is not an objectively good game because the CPU cheats like a motherfucker.

also if you're going to impose an arbitrary limit on yourself for how many games you want to add, it seems kind of silly to put all 3 MK games on the console. it'd be like putting all 3 versions of street fighter 2 on the console.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Speaking of Mortal Kombat, if I was gonna put any one of those three games on my console which one should it be? I kinda want to do the original since that's the one people know but I also know that's the heavily-censored version :/

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

quiggy posted:

Speaking of Mortal Kombat, if I was gonna put any one of those three games on my console which one should it be? I kinda want to do the original since that's the one people know but I also know that's the heavily-censored version :/

Do either 2 or 3. The original has much less content and feels really anemic going back to it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

2 is probably the best one to put on in terms of being closest to the arcade version graphically.

3 and UMK3 are quite a bit rougher in this regard, although still very playable.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
MK1 really hasn't aged well and is more of a proof-of-concept than anything else. MKII is the best of the lot, though UMK3 is good too. UMK3 feels like more of a sequel to MKII than MKII does MK1, if that makes any sense.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

MK2 it is, thanks folks.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Do we still not know the limitation on the max number of games before the UI breaks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, I actually only played the original on Genesis, so maybe that's why I have a soft spot for it. I'll go with MK2 and maybe UMK3. It always bugged me how MK2 on the SNES was graphically WAY superior to the Sega Genesis version. It felt JUST like the arcade (to a 12-year-old me). Plus, you had enough buttons by default, and didn't need to use a special controller to access all of your moved :negative: