Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
So proud to see my flag being respected like that :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Way more respectful than kneeling during the anthem

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Intruder posted:

Should pay attention to his studies IMO

Picture me at work (Office Space style environment) but extremely the opposite reaction

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/917793021151891457

No Heyward in the lineup, he's 0-18 lifetime against Roark.

Forecast is cold with light rain and strong winds blowing in at first pitch with rain intensifying as the night goes on.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I'm hoping for a game tonight, but I'm kinda doubtful :ohdear:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Love Jon Jay, hate Jake Arrieta. Rooting for a rainout and Hendricks start so I can be less ambiguous in my rooting.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pancakes posted:

Love Jon Jay, hate Jake Arrieta. Rooting for a rainout and Hendricks start so I can be less ambiguous in my rooting.

There was a nice moment before the game where Jon Jay was looking for somebody in the bleachers to toss a ball to, he identified a kid, pointed to him, threw it perfectly to him, kid caught it and nobody tried to Hample it away. :kimchi:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Miz Kriss posted:

I'm hoping for a game tonight, but I'm kinda doubtful :ohdear:

MLB has said that barring absolutely torrential downpours or lightning, the game is being played to completion tonight even if everybody is soaked.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Not feeling super confident in Arietta after seeing Scherzer throw a few wild ones last night coming back from a hamstring but we shall see.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

There was a nice moment before the game where Jon Jay was looking for somebody in the bleachers to toss a ball to, he identified a kid, pointed to him, threw it perfectly to him, kid caught it and nobody tried to Hample it away. :kimchi:

Jon Jay is great at fan interaction. Before game 4 of the 2015 NLDS he was sitting on top of the Cards dugout and played peekaboo with some shy kids in Cubs gear. There’s also the time he stayed after a rehab start in AAA to give an autograph to literally every fan who wanted one. Jon Jay is the best and I miss him, but I’m glad he’s getting to play in October.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Pancakes posted:

What the gently caress man. You've lived in Chicago too long and you've become a Cubs fan.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

beejay posted:

Not feeling super confident in Arietta after seeing Scherzer throw a few wild ones last night coming back from a hamstring but we shall see.

It's okay, because Lackey is waiting in the bullpen, probably chomping at the bit to play. :downs:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

What the gently caress man. You've lived in Chicago too long and you've become a Cubs fan.

Them’s fightin’ words. I just hate Daniel Murphy and Jake Arrieta but like Jon Jay, my dad and several of the Cubs posters. I’m actively rooting against the Cubs if they make it past this round. Acceptable?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

Them’s fightin’ words. I just hate Daniel Murphy and Jake Arrieta but like Jon Jay, my dad and several of the Cubs posters. I’m actively rooting against the Cubs if they make it past this round. Acceptable?

Just accept it, you know in your heart the Cubs have always been your team.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hey, Pancakes, what do you say
The Cubs are gonna win your heart

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Popete posted:

:bisonyes:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Pancakes posted:

So since Arrieta is gonna be somewhere else next year can I just go ahead and pencil you in for the Baez shirsey?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Coming out that both the Cubs and Nats petitioned MLB for a 1:20 start today and were refused.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

My Uncle Don showed me how to root for a baseball team the Right Way when I was 6 by turning on Ozzie Smith. That’ll teach my dad to have gone for a beer run. Plus I’ve had more Cubs fans try to fight me when they’re drunk than any other demographic in my life.

Dexo posted:

So since Arrieta is gonna be somewhere else next year can I just go ahead and pencil you in for the Baez shirsey?

Nope. Only jersey I wear is my Curt Flood jersey. If my girlfriend and I end up getting White Sox season tickets next year I might add a Buck Weaver jersey.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

Coming out that both the Cubs and Nats petitioned MLB for a 1:20 start today and were refused.

"B-But our ratings!" :qq:

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Pancakes posted:

My Uncle Don showed me how to root for a baseball team the Right Way when I was 6 by turning on Ozzie Smith. That’ll teach my dad to have gone for a beer run. Plus I’ve had more Cubs fans try to fight me when they’re drunk than any other demographic in my life.

When I was in high school, my sisters and I were three of the five Cubs fans in the entire school, and the rest were Cardinals fans. I was a sophomore in 2003. Hoo boy all the poo poo I got from everyone the day after the Bartman catch.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sydin posted:

"B-But our ratings!" :qq:

Ratings are going to suck when this game gets delayed for a couple hours. I looked at the radar and there is a huge rain cloud coming our way, but cant' really tell how long it'll stick around for. I'm sure Harper is just super happy to be playing a game in the rain.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Miz Kriss posted:

When I was in high school, my sisters and I were three of the five Cubs fans in the entire school, and the rest were Cardinals fans. I was a sophomore in 2003. Hoo boy all the poo poo I got from everyone the day after the Bartman catch.

I was a Cardinals fan living in Providence in 2004. Literally saw Red Sox fans burning Pujols in effigy. I’m also a decently big, perpetually sober guy who keeps getting challenged to fights by drunk Cubs fans. I really think winning when your fandom’s identity is built around perpetual loss breaks something in a lot of people’s brains.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'd be Strasburg vs Hendricks tomorrow then I guess.

unless you sacrifice Arietta, hope he's good, and if he's not, then you have the Ace Hendricks in Game 5 against their Number 3. With Scherzer likely able to come out of the pen(or hell start) if necessary.

Pancakes posted:

I was a Cardinals fan living in Providence in 2004. Literally saw Red Sox fans burning Pujols in effigy. I’m also a decently big, perpetually sober guy who keeps getting challenged to fights by drunk Cubs fans. I really think winning when your fandom’s identity is built around perpetual loss breaks something in a lot of people’s brains.

I mean tbf they would probably have challenged you to fights during the losing.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 10, 2017

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Dexo posted:

unless you sacrifice Arietta, hope he's good, and if he's not, then you have the Ace Hendricks in Game 5 against their Number 3. With Scherzer likely able to come out of the pen(or hell start) if necessary.

Scherzer is a crazy person and if his right arm fell off during a playoff game he'd try to finish it with his left arm, but there's no way in hell he starts another game in this series. A game 5 relief appearance is the only way he pitches again in the DS.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ratings are going to suck when this game gets delayed for a couple hours. I looked at the radar and there is a huge rain cloud coming our way, but cant' really tell how long it'll stick around for. I'm sure Harper is just super happy to be playing a game in the rain.

I'm seeing forecasters predict the rain to start shortly after first pitch.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dexo posted:

The Cubs have confirmed Arrieta gets Game 4 and Hendricks gets a potential Game 5, regardless of today's game happening or not. The Nats on the other hand will almost certainly put Strasburg out on normal rest for Game 4 vs Roark if it's delayed until tomorrow.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

The Cubs have confirmed Arrieta gets Game 4 and Hendricks gets a potential Game 5, regardless of today's game happening or not. The Nats on the other hand will almost certainly put Strasburg out on normal rest for Game 4 vs Roark if it's delayed until tomorrow.

The rain delay giveth, the rain delay taketh away.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bird in a Blender posted:

I also just realized there are no other baseball games today, since the ALDS G5 is tomorrow. Absolutely no excuse for MLB to refuse bumping up the starting time.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

And then Almora came in and interacted with the crowd after like every play. Most players ignore the bleacher bums, but Almora thrived on our energy. It was awesome.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Postponed until tomorrow

http://mlb.mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20171010&content_id=258153750&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gently caress TBS

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/CarrieMuskat/status/917882679290486785

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/917884691344003072

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

"Daniel Murphy suddenly came down with... Small pox?"

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/PWSullivan/status/917884058612486150

Lmao Dusty

#Mold

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hooooooly gently caress.

Sick Strasburg is still better than healthy Roark.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

broke: In Dusty we Trusty

woke: In Moldy we Holdy

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
"under the weather" :nallears:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Nobody told Dusty and the Nats that Chicago is an open pit Asbestos mine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Even better, Strasburg apparently threw a bullpen session today thinking the game would get played. Dusty is the best

• Locked thread