Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

lol if you buy AAA games in 2017
LOL if you buy videogames in general in 2017 as an adult. If you do, though, for some hosed up reason, there's the Humble Endless RPG Lands Bundle.

EDIT: I missed the original post, derp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Endless Legend and Borderlands 2 for that price is such a good deal I'm almost mad I already own them.

Before someone asks: Endless Legend is still great and will last you ages without any DLC but some of the DLC is very good and worth getting. This is very much my opinion but:

Guardians is relatively minor but also cheaper and the legendary deeds add optional mini-objectives that add a nice element to the game.
Shadows adds espionage and a new faction. Espionage honestly isn't the best, and the new faction relies on it. If you can afford it, it's probably worth a try, but it's the least appealing of the DLCs IMO.
Echoes of Auriga is some (pretty good) new music and some totally unnecessary hero equipment. Completly skippable but worth it if you want more music.
The Lost Tales adds some extra quests that flesh out the minor factions, it's very cheap and adds some variety to the game. Recommended.
Shifters fleshes out the winter mechanic and adds a pretty cool new faction. That might not sound much but it actually impacts the game quite a bit. Recommended.
Tempest adds a naval element to the game and a new ocean based faction. Honestly I haven't played this one much yet.

Basically, I'd recommend Guardians, Shifters and The Lost Tales first. All DLC can be toggled off if you want to play a game without it though, so if there's a deep enough sale it's worth picking it all up if you like the game enough.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 10, 2017

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Still not sure if I'm gonna pick this up or not, but hey, it's cheaper now!

game's good, really funny at parts, and has probably the best dialogue/choice system I've seen in any VN (or even in most games, tbh) but it is still like at least 40% sex scene

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

dmboogie posted:

game's good, really funny at parts, and has probably the best dialogue/choice system I've seen in any VN (or even in most games, tbh) but it is still like at least 40% sex scene

It's all lesbian stuff too, right?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

It's all lesbian stuff too, right?

yep

i mean, at least romance-wise; there's other stuff going on in the plot

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

dmboogie posted:

I adored the demo, have it wishlisted, I'm just in that position where I'm reading other VNs I want to finish first. Doki Doki Literature Club got me in the mood to get back to Grisaia, and I've been sick with a cold, so it's been good to kick back and let the anime wash over me.

... I love that there's so many good games out that even the visual novels niche will give you a huge backlog. :D

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Doesn't it have a censorship option where it covers everyone up with super tacky sweaters? Almost tempted to pick it up for that alone.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SirSamVimes posted:

Doesn't it have a censorship option where it covers everyone up with super tacky sweaters? Almost tempted to pick it up for that alone.

Yes!

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
So three years after its second episode was released, one year after the third episode was announced as being "close to finished," and long, long after everybody had forgotten and given up on it, flawed-but-fun retro action game Tiny Barbarian finally had its last two episodes released simultaneously and got a co-op mode added to boot. The first two episodes were pretty fun (albeit rough around the edges) and the game had an awesome soundtrack, so I hope the wait was worth it for the last two episodes

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Samuringa posted:

What a very lackluster bundle. Maybe I'll bit my tongue and it turns out that Guild of Dungeoneering and Endless Legend are hidden gems, but I get the feeling that they wanted to do something with Borderlands and then just grabbed whatever was on the shelf to make a complete package.

Will probably get Van Helsing for a buck tho.

Endless Legend is far from being a "hidden" gem. It's an extremely highly regarded 4X title.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ikari Worrier posted:

So three years after its second episode was released, one year after the third episode was announced as being "close to finished," and long, long after everybody had forgotten and given up on it, flawed-but-fun retro action game Tiny Barbarian finally had its last two episodes released simultaneously and got a co-op mode added to boot. The first two episodes were pretty fun (albeit rough around the edges) and the game had an awesome soundtrack, so I hope the wait was worth it for the last two episodes

Release Date: Dec 3, 2013

Thanks Nicalis

For content, I thought the first two episodes were pretty fun, reminded me a bit of old apogee platformers like Jill of the Jungle but maybe that's just me. Very short and bite sized, episodes take about an hour a piece to finish.

What the heck is with the $30 price tag though?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 10, 2017

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Release Date: Dec 3, 2013

Thanks Nicalis

For content, I thought the first two episodes were pretty fun, reminded me a bit of old apogee platformers like Jill of the Jungle but maybe that's just me. Very short and bite sized, episodes take about an hour a piece to finish.

What the heck is with the $30 price tag though?

Nicalis raised the price when they took over to match the Switch version. For the last few months it's been $30 for half a game.

Now that it's actually done against all odds, I'll have to see how the latter two episodes turned out. I really enjoyed the first one but didn't care much for the second, so I'm interested to see if the new ones lean more towards one of them or feel totally different.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is Endless Legend like Civilization? I've watched some gameplay videos of it over the years and it's still not clear to me what the game is. It looks interesting but never has been the right price, until maybe today, for me to buy it.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Endless Legend does a lot of things differently than Civ, but it's in the same genre.

e: It's also very, very good and it alone is worth the BTA price on that bundle.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
From my understanding the races are way more asymmetrical than in standard Civ, which is a good thing in my book. It's definitely one of the better bundles in recent memory. Too bad I don't really enjoy the borderlands gameplay loop, so I'm not very interested in those :/

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Every race plays very differently from the others. Endless Legend is a really good game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So I started up Rise of the Tomb Raider and I was happy to see they acknowledged the bow was the most popular choice of weapon, because an hour in you get the ability to craft poison arrows that explode in a big cloud and instantly choke guys to death.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I keep meaning to buy that and then space on it when there's a sale. Sounds fun.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I bought multiple copies of the bundle because I unironically love Wurm Online and want as many friends as possible to get into it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

buglord posted:

I bought multiple copies of the bundle because I unironically love Wurm Online and want as many friends as possible to get into it.

What's the deal with it?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Endless Legend is pretty good even if, in my opinion, it does have a bit of a problem with easier AI being a little too easy and harder ones being face stamping beasts. I'm a scrub though. On the bright side the sheer variety of gameplay between races is amazing and kind of gives the game a fun sense of discovery. That and diplomacy between players is a lot less gamey than in other titles (like Civ, which is garbage about that) so it's pretty engaging.

I'd say the biggest problem with the game is bad in-game tutorials and some confusing/vague descriptions here and there. You are going to need to read some general tips or at least play a couple games before you start understanding what you should be doing.

Speaking of 4X, the Age of Wonders games are also on huge sale and pretty great. They are far more focused on combat than most other 4X games so in a way they play almost like turn based strategy/RPG and they all have robust campaigns to boot. Highly recommended.

SPEAKING OF 4X AGAIN, Dominions loving 5 is coming out in a month and that poo poo is going to be crazy with the new combat engine. Probably my favorite series and one of the most insane, lore rich games ever made; a must play for anyone even vaguely interested in strategy, mythology or just games that let you who would win a fight between a six armed bow wielding old woman or a mystical chinese humanoid carp.

Somehow this turned out to be a great time to pick up some turn-based games or getting into the genre. If only Distant Worlds Universe went on sale too you'd have a mind-blowing collection.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is the pre-sequel just the regular version or is it a goty type version that includes the dlc?

I suspect it's just the vanilla version but I'm hopeful it includes the dlc

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Det_no posted:

That and diplomacy between players is a lot less gamey than in other titles (like Civ, which is garbage about that) so it's pretty engaging.

you're gonna have to explain exactly what you mean by "less gamey" because endless legend has player-visible trade thresholds. i mean, not that i'm complaining, i think that's a good thing to make visible to the player in 4x diplomacy, but its presence is a pretty solid definition of gamey as far as diplo AI does

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Is the pre-sequel just the regular version or is it a goty type version that includes the dlc?

I suspect it's just the vanilla version but I'm hopeful it includes the dlc

Borderlands 2 says "plus DLCs" under it and the pre sequel does not so it's probably just the base.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Digirat posted:

Borderlands 2 says "plus DLCs" under it and the pre sequel does not so it's probably just the base.

drat :( Oh well

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Digirat posted:

That "plus DLC" means two level cap increases and two character classes, which amounts to pretty much nothing considering how much goddamn DLC there is for that game.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The End is Nigh is pretty drat great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Catpain Slack posted:

That "plus DLC" means two level cap increases and two character classes, which amounts to pretty much nothing considering how much goddamn DLC there is for that game.

Eh, those are the two most important of the DLCs IMO. You won't need the extra content stuff until you've beaten the game and that is a still a looooot of game. The extra classes are especially fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Like 90% of the DLC that isn't included isn't particularly important anyway, considering the overwhelming majority are cosmetic items and even most of the "actual" DLC isn't that big of a deal. Buy Assault on Dragon Keep next time it goes on sale and you're pretty much good.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The four gameplay DLCs are definitely worth playing (some would debate whether that's true of hammerlock's but eh). But the game isn't exactly short without them.

My advice is not to bother with anything past TVHM (playthrough 2). If you have a good setup like anarchy gaige then it's really fun up to there but they cocked it up bad past that point.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Most fun we ever had in Borderlands 2 was running the first playthrough with a lot of extra skill points. The later playthroughs just become a total slog of bullet sponge enemies.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Borderlands 1 is the good one right?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Markovnikov posted:

Borderlands 1 is the good one right?

They're all good. That is, if you like any of them you'll like all of them.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

If you're only going to play one though, I'd play 2. It has the best level design and the Mechromancer is the best class in the series.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Here are a couple Humble keys:

Borderlands: *ame of the Year Edition - https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=RnNdqTa*Kd7tACPV
Guild of *ungeoneering - https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=ZAwzhHVHX7XfWA*m

I also have Borderlands 2, but all the DLCs are separate keys. So shoot me a PM (or link your Steam Profile) and I'll get you the links.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Jagged Jim posted:

Here are a couple Humble keys:

Guild of *ungeoneering - https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=ZAwzhHVHX7XfWA*m

Thanks!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Justin_Brett posted:

So I started up Rise of the Tomb Raider and I was happy to see they acknowledged the bow was the most popular choice of weapon, because an hour in you get the ability to craft poison arrows that explode in a big cloud and instantly choke guys to death.

They correctly recognized that 90% of players will just use the bow for the entire game, as was the case in TR2013.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Take some games!

Bor(d=#)erlands GOTY: 8XH2Y-YIX3D-X6GJ*
Bord(e=#)rlands 2: *Q8*0-KYRHN-VNJ8X
Wurm Unl*mited: A0DJJ-X893H-N4YQ*
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mor(d=#)or GOTY: M*HVT-AZTCX-*LJ68
Westerado: Double *arreled: *3JIJ-873FI-0QR*9

Whoever takes Borderlands 2, PM me or add me on steam and I'll give you the DLC keys :ocelot:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

monny posted:

Take some games!

Westerado: Double *arreled: *3JIJ-873FI-0QR*9

Grabbed. Bless you, your crops and livestock, and your family.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

monny posted:

Bor(d=#)erlands GOTY: 8XH2Y-YIX3D-X6GJ*

Thanks!

Amazing, it came with a code for the Duke Nukem Forever First Access Club!