Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Finger Prince posted:

This joke is never going to get off the ground in an aviation thread.

Why, is it on a treadmill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Eppur, si volante!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I went to the Fleet Week air show here in SF this weekend and got some good pictures of the airplanes. Sorry that the exposure on a few is kinda dark -- I am very tired and didn't want to poke at the images when I'm only gonna be showing them to goooooons. If anyone wants a full-res image I can oblige though.

The Air Force did their usual "HERITAGE PASS" ra ra go troops salute the veterans :911: thing. Last year they had an F-22 but I guess they were on a budget this time so it's an F-16. Still cool and I like that the Mustang is named "SPAM Can"

The Snowbirds showed up from :canada: and put on the best show of all I thought. Even though they're just little subsonic trainers, it's seriously loving impressive to see them flying nine planes in formation and shifting from one formation to the next (e.g. Y to diamond) in the middle of a slow loop. Plus there are so many of them that when they break of to do solo work, you get a couple of planes flying over doing something neat every few seconds instead of waiting for them to turn around and come back to the show area. A+

Pitts biplane doing A Thing

The Patriots (civilian jet demonstration team from California that ironically flies L-39s) were there too but they were kinda sloppy. Didn't get many pictures of them. They apparently also have two MiG-17s that they don't fly in air shows, which is really too bad because I would have killed to see one of those.

United has a huge hub at SFO so they always send a 747 to fly around while the PA system plays a United ad that sounds like the in-flight safety video. Cool to see a plane that large flying as low as it was, but eh, it's not like it was Tex Johnson.

Blue Angels were there of course flying their usual razor-precise show. A man was EXTREMELY excited about them and was yelling and screaming every time they flew by. He had a book with thirty years' worth of signatures from the Blue Angels pilots, a Blue Angels hat, etc. and was telling everyone around important information like "Here they go, they're doing a delta loop....oop no wait that's five-abreast" and "when the smoke is coming out that's cause they have they afterburners on."

and whatever strange gundam this is

Got there a little late, so I saw but was unable to get pictures of the following things that were also in attendance:

- A C-130 doing racetracks and towing a smoke generator
- Navy skydivers descending with a huge american flag
- Coast Guard helicopters "rescuing" a diver from the bay
- A Navy P-8 (i.e. 737-800) doing a slow pass

All in all a solid show.

e: ugh my sensor is really dirty too. More work

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 9, 2017

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
United's 747s are gone in under a month, so that's actually a nice shot to get.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sagebrush posted:

Blue Angels were there of course flying their usual razor-precise show. A man was EXTREMELY excited about them and was yelling and screaming every time they flew by. He had a book with thirty years' worth of signatures from the Blue Angels pilots, a Blue Angels hat, etc. and was telling everyone around important information like "Here they go, they're doing a delta loop....oop no wait that's five-abreast" and "when the smoke is coming out that's cause they have they afterburners on."

Why do they only have afterburner on one engine?

:v:

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

The Locator posted:

Why do they only have afterburner on one engine?

:v:

They are only equipped with a single chem trail generator for crowd pacification and brain washing.

Two are unnecessary due to the dispersal pattern when performing at air shows
That's why airliners have 4, for high altitude.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Just a Hawk (apparently) doing a Touch and go

https://streamable.com/qyohf

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

The Snowbirds showed up from :canada: and put on the best show of all I thought. Even though they're just little subsonic trainers, it's seriously loving impressive to see them flying nine planes in formation and shifting from one formation to the next (e.g. Y to diamond) in the middle of a slow loop. Plus there are so many of them that when they break of to do solo work, you get a couple of planes flying over doing something neat every few seconds instead of waiting for them to turn around and come back to the show area. A+

Fun fact about the Snowbirds: they don't have a support plane, so they fly 10 of their planes to a show in case one breaks down. Each plane has a pilot and maintainer onboard when they're coming in from whereever. There's two luggage compartments on the plane, and one has luggage for the pilot and maintainer, and the other has spare parts and consumables.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Fun fact about the Snowbirds: they don't have a support plane, so they fly 10 of their planes to a show in case one breaks down. Each plane has a pilot and maintainer onboard when they're coming in from whereever. There's two luggage compartments on the plane, and one has luggage for the pilot and maintainer, and the other has spare parts and consumables.
This is the canadianest thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Truly the most :canada: of demo teams.

As a Florida man, It also amuses me to no end that they named themselves the Snowbirds.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I haven't seen the Snowbirds in nearly 10 years, but I distinctly remember the show they put on being very cool.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My mixtape has arrived

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

My mixtape has arrived

Hmmm, my Galaxy Note 8 tracking info says shipping delayed.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Airport I'm flying out of today still has the "NO loving GALAXY NOTE 7 ALLOWED, WE MEAN IT!" signs up :laugh:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Finger Prince posted:

This joke is never going to get off the ground in an aviation thread.

Well duh clearly its on a treadmill

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Son of abiiiiitch :argh:

That's what I get for not checking the next page

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 9, 2017

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

My mixtape has arrived

Lmao. Is there anything non-nefarious that could be besides a battery?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Idk if it's just the Blue Angels livery but I feel like I've never properly appreciated the looks of the F-18 before. That is a pretty plane.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Murgos posted:

Only if you can't trace the arc of the conversation.

Christ, I'm gonna need some rhumb to handle all these bad puns...

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

aphid_licker posted:

Idk if it's just the Blue Angels livery but I feel like I've never properly appreciated the looks of the F-18 before. That is a pretty plane.

Yeah it's the livery. Blue angles look much better.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Definitely. Hornets are not pretty planes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Godholio posted:

Definitely. Hornets are not pretty planes.

The A-D models are like the Kate Moss of combat aircraft. The Super Bugs are what happens when a supermodel finally ages to the point where she can start to eat a little bit, but still needs to keep her weight down so she can be a judge on reality/variety shows. So the Super Bug is Heidi Klum.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

All planes are prettier when they're flying clean, IMO. That's a big part of the appeal of air show aircraft. The F-16 I posted also looks really nice and sleek compared to the way you usually see them, loaded down with tanks and bombs and pods.

I used to think the F-4 was pretty fat and ugly until I saw one with no external stores, and suddenly I was like "oh, now I get it".

Also yeah the Blue Angels are still flying C-models, which are 20% smaller than the new Super Hornets and much better-proportioned, I think. Probably because they were designed by Northrop instead of Boeing.

(The Super Hornet is effectively a brand-new airframe -- I think it only shares some of the avionics and a few central sections with the original Hornet -- but Boeing made it look close enough to the original design that they were able to convince Congress it was an upgrade, and not a new purchase. Clever)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also, I was trying to guess where everyone was based for this show. I assume the F-16 and the Snowbirds were coming from Travis AFB. The Mustang, the Patriots and the biplanes were all civilian so they probably were at San Carlos or Hayward, I guess? The 747 obviously came from SFO. I just can't figure out where the Blue Angels were hanging out. The nearest active Naval Air Station is down near Fresno -- would they actually go that far? Would they share Travis, up by Sacramento? Land at Moffett Field?

e: okay, well, that was easy to look up. They're based at OAK. I suppose F/A-18s aren't super top secret any more.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 9, 2017

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/9bF6qlB.gifv

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

"YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FIX THE PLANE BY BEING METICULOUSLY CAREFUL AT THIS JUNCTURE."

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Dannywilson posted:

"YOU ARE NOT GOING TO FIX THE PLANE BY BEING METICULOUSLY CAREFUL AT THIS JUNCTURE."

It'll buff out

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

It'll buff out

But did it make a cool noise?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The RCAF museum in Trenton, Ontario has begun restoring an Avro Lancaster. When they are done, they will be the only museum on earth with a Lancaster and a Halifax.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
747 dropping chemtrails fire retardant in northern california:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fox_xomGgFg

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

pthighs posted:

747 dropping chemtrails fire retardant in northern california:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fox_xomGgFg

747s are so so good-looking. How is it so beautiful and the A380 is so derpy?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

747s are so so good-looking. How is it so beautiful and the A380 is so derpy?

I think it's the fact that the 747 has the flight deck on the top of the fuselage, which means the fuselage only extends slightly above the flight deck windows at the highest point. Even if you extend the upper deck on the 747 all the way to the tail, it still looks pretty good.

Since the A380 has the flight deck placed much lower, the fuselage has to extend further up past that point than it does on the 747, so you end up with the A380 having a giant "forehead" that gives it the appearance of a whale with Down's.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 10, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

azflyboy posted:

I think it's the fact that the 747 has the flight deck on the top of the fuselage, which means the fuselage only extends slightly above the flight deck windows at the highest point.

Since the A380 has the flight deck placed much lower, the fuselage has to extend further up past that point than it does on the 747, so you end up with the A380 having a giant "forehead" that gives it the appearance of a whale with Down's.
There's that, but I do think fully extended upper really makes a difference with the A380. It's an effect that's mitigated on the 747 in those drawings because the upper deck is drawn as a discrete section.

On the A380, the double row of windows really draws emphasis to how tall it is and creates a slab-sided appearance. Plus you have this very long straight horizontal profile that adds to the apparent boxy-ness from many angles, with no variation. It's very bullet-headed, like a guy with no neck. That all combines to make it look like a bus with wings. An... Airbus, if you will.

The actual 747 meanwhile just flat out has a more interesting profile. The bulge of the upper deck gives a more distinct front and breaks up the lines in way that's visually appealing, and gives it a more organic design. From a visual design standpoint the 747 is a risk - love it or hate it, it at least looks like something. The A380 lacks that, it's extraordinary only in its neutrality of aesthetic.

EDIT: Also an element I had forgotten about the 747 - that change of angle at the front, where the cockpit windows aren't part of the continuous slope up from the nose. It has the same basic effect as the hump, and complements it nicely. The A380 has a bit of that as well, but its far less pronounced and in fact the shape of the windows minimizes it, especially from the front, creating the illusion of an unbroken incline.

Lastly, there's something about the fact that the 747 doesn't look like other planes that complements its extreme size. Something about human psychology makes us want our behemoths to be special, unique. In contrast the A380 just looks like a supersized version of every other jetliner. In fact it looks like they took a smaller plane and stuck an addition on it, like a suburban house that's had a rec room added on. I wanted to say it looks like "some plane," in the same way that a generic brand cornflake is "some cereal," but really it's more a matter of "quite a lot of plane."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 10, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

From a visual design standpoint the 747 is a risk - love it or hate it, it at least looks like something. The A380 lacks that, it's extraordinary only in its neutrality of aesthetic.

cool badass americans vs. cold bureaucratic europeans.txt

To me the planes each seem to have a different...attitude. The 747, with its high cockpit and skinny wing, looks "proud" -- like it's carrying all these people effortlessly, standing up with its chin high. The A380's :manning:-face, fat wing and big forehead make it look like it's straining under the weight, only grudgingly schlepping them from place to place.

see what I mean?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 10, 2017

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
I think the flight deck placement makes a big difference. Here's a shop someone did placing it higher on the A380, which gives it better proportions in my opinion.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

cool badass americans vs. cold bureaucratic europeans.txt
Nah, there's plenty of pretty planes from Europe and boring rear end designs from the US, even from the same companies. The 757 has a lot of the same visual design issues, in fact, minus the slab-sided effect. Instead it looks too long and noodle-y

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I think the flight deck placement makes a big difference. Here's a shop someone did placing it higher on the A380, which gives it better proportions in my opinion.

This makes it look moderately :coal: with dark shades.

Opposed to the current “sixhead” look.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Platystemon posted:

This makes it look moderately :coal: with dark shades.

Opposed to the current “sixhead” look.
It certainly looks better but it's still pretty bland.

At a most basic level, humans tend to like variation in visual design, up to a certain point. The A380 just doesn't have enough.

EDIT: Speaking of the 747, I'm working at Embry Riddle and they had NASA's SOFIA aircraft here for a couple days recently. Part of my commute in goes past the runway they had it parked next to. Seeing it sitting there in the early morning light, where I'm used to seeing the prop trainers or at most a regional jetliner, really brought home just how gigantic it is.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 10, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It certainly looks better but it's still pretty bland.

At a most basic level, humans tend to like variation in visual design, up to a certain point. The A380 just doesn't have enough.

It has four engines and two rows of windows.

That immediately gives it a head start against almost every other airliner of the past twenty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Platystemon posted:

It has four engines and two rows of windows.

That immediately gives it a head start against almost every other airliner of the past twenty years.
Variation within the design itself, I mean.