Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
sane languages: lets have a regex library with pcre-like syntax

c++: lets have a regex library but the user has to choose which of several syntaxes they want to plug into each regex, and none of them is pcre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lol, just lol if your regex implementation isnt pcre

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i hate googling regex things because as a real thread poster i have no loving idea about all the regex syntaxes and its like blind taste test when 3/4s of items are a cactus

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I can't write regex without one of those regex test websites

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i hate googling regex things because as a real thread poster i have no loving idea about all the regex syntaxes and its like blind taste test when 3/4s of items are a cactus
regex101.com is all you need

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I use https://regexr.com/

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Luigi Thirty posted:

I can't write regex without one of those regex test websites

That's probably a good idea compared to mashing random punctuation into an editor.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

BONGHITZ posted:

why do you program?

Every line of code is written without reason, maintained out of weakness, and deleted by chance

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
IDEA has regex expression checking built in and it owns

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Didn't we have this derail last week? :v:

PCRE syntax is ok, impl sux

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i am responsible for the test that has been mysteriously dropping a coworkers db

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i like how the entire pcre lib uses int as file offsets so it doesnt work on huge files, so tools like ag have to stream line by line when they are really big

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i have never had to regex for this job yet, but every time i have to i am terrified because i never know how to figure out which syntax whatever framework i am using uses. i have never once seen it actually documented

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what frameworks are opinionated about regex syntax though

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

why do you program?

it's a lot easier than being a mathematician and pays a lot better too
and with this i very very occasionally get to actually do a tiny amount of college level math at least

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

[quote="“MrMoo”" post="“477244893”"]
That’s probably a good idea compared to mashing random punctuation into an editor.
[/quote]

well how the hell else do I write perl

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

maybe they aren't, but just "put in a string representing a regex" is too vague for my taste

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

HoboMan posted:

maybe they aren't, but just "put in a string representing a regex" is too vague for my taste

a proper framework/language has a type for a regex

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

ICU or GTFO

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BONGHITZ posted:

why do you program?

if I don't I get all itchy

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
honestly i program because i just kind of fell into it when decisions had to be made about what to do in college, and everything since then has been just trying to keep myself interested since ive already invested so much time and effort

if my early life opportunities had been different existed, who knows what i might be doing right now (probably the same thing just with better education)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

Cocoa Foundation has used ICU exclusively since 2004 because internationalization is critically important

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

regex101.com is all you need

ive been to both before but im so incompetent w/ regex that i usually either deal by "regular pattern matching" ("*foo*bar*.baz") or stackoverflow the regex

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

IDEA has regex expression checking built in and it owns

whoa, pycharm should have it too then. i guess i didnt notice because i've used regex in python maybe once in my life

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

lol

doing a green fields project in c++

you loving fool

are you writing a game engine because that is literally the only vaguely acceptable excuse

computer vision stuff that has tight time budgets on limited hardware

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

whoa, pycharm should have it too then. i guess i didnt notice because i've used regex in python maybe once in my life

just checked and it appears to, yeah

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Xarn posted:

Didn't we have this derail last week? :v:

PCRE syntax is ok, impl sux

this thread has only existed for a few days

everything before is nothing and was written to /dev/null

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fritz posted:

computer vision stuff that has tight time budgets on limited hardware

computer vision owns

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Tru dat

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the only computer vision anyone needs is the headache you get from using the Atari MindLink

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I've never had any difficulty with regular expressions. lots of things I struggle with but regular expressions never were among them. outside of the line-noisy syntax and subtleties like greedy/non-greedy or what capturing group gets what match index, I don't see anything particularly hard about them?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
regex is a pain in the rear end because i hardly ever need to use it, so I learn just enough to do whatever I need to do, and then by the next time I need it I've totally forgotten the actual syntax and need to learn it from scratch again

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

regex is a pain in the rear end because i hardly ever need to use it, so I learn just enough to do whatever I need to do, and then by the next time I need it I've totally forgotten the actual syntax and need to learn it from scratch again

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

silvergoose posted:

this thread has only existed for a few days

everything before is nothing and was written to /dev/null

that derail was in the PL thread with some properly capitalization punctuation huffster wanted everyone to consider "that one backtracking regex" that pcre flubs

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
im getting stewed up over minor PR etiquette differences and idk if i should even bother caring

approach one: carefully select a small set of reviewers, wait for 100% approval before merge
approach two: add 50 people of dubious relevance, take any 1 approval despite comments as the okay to merge

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
he wasn't wrong. project idea: scanning github for internet reachable code that uses regexes with pathological behavior

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Main Paineframe posted:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

hackbunny posted:

he wasn't wrong. project idea: scanning github for internet reachable code that uses regexes with pathological behavior

he couldn't really maintain the thread of discussion and started swinging at folks who use one-off regexes outside of internet reachable production code, so i guess all those fancy commas didn't help

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
LoL if you actually put effort into appearing not to put in any effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i often times edit something thats broken in a buildscript and never commit it and just leave it for someone else to find

• Locked thread