Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
God drat, I thought Coffeelake was better. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2025?vs=1728

Stock to stock the 6850K already beats the 8700K and the 6850K overclocks more, proportionally, compared to the 8700K. I now say buy it with no hesitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Do we have any idea how many pci lanes are supposed to be on the 8-cores and z390 chipsets next year?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Do we have any idea how many pci lanes are supposed to be on the 8-cores and z390 chipsets next year?

They're not going to voluntarily exceed the number of lanes you get on the entry-level Sky-X system, which is 28. Figure they'll cap consumer/enthusiast chipsets at 24-26 for the foreseeable future.

If AMD goes to 28+ on Zen+ or Zen 2, who knows, though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

craig588 posted:

God drat, I thought Coffeelake was better. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2025?vs=1728

Stock to stock the 6850K already beats the 8700K and the 6850K overclocks more, proportionally, compared to the 8700K. I now say buy it with no hesitation.

AT was one of the sites that got the Gigabyte board with a bad bios. I dunno if they are gonna retest or not, though.

Computer Base has some good interactive graphs with the 6850K in there for comparison. 8-25% performance advantage on most stuff, with the average in games at 1080p being 9%. Not sure if thats really worth the upgrade price.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-10/intel-coffee-lake-8700k-8400-8350k-8100-test/5/

Although the same performance that cost $800+ a year ago now costing half that is pretty cool. #thanksamd

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 10, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

The coffee lake paper launch was really quite genius, Intel sent a bunch of 5.2 GHz binned samples to the youtubers, a handful of retail boxes to e-tailers and now gets to watch Ryzen sales fall off a cliff until Q2/2018. :allears:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Speaking of the 8700NK :D

I ordered mid morning on the 5th Central Time.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I just got my 8600K this morning. Now I'm only waiting for nicer RAM, as I accidentally got 2133 MHz stuff at first.

What's the difference between the 8700K and the 8700NK that people keep mentioning? Google gives me nothing if I search for 8700NK.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 10, 2017

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

ohgodwhat posted:

I just got my 8600K this morning. Now I'm only waiting for nicer RAM, as I accidentally got 2133 MHz stuff at first.

What's the difference between the 8700K and the 8700NK that people keep mentioning? Google gives me nothing if I search for 8700NK.

It the locked version of the 8700K. Its listed as the i7-8700.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Volguus posted:

I'll probably be going too from a 3930K to an 8700K. Not really willing to throw money at the HEDT platforms anymore, even if gaming is a secondary/tertiary usage for me.

Current Intel HEDT (Skylake-X) sucks for gaming anyways due to its mesh bus and modified cache structure, 8700k is the way to go for now if you want a mix of good gaming performance and good multithreaded performance.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Oh, NK = "non-K". Never heard that before.

Wow, the 8700K is actually behind the 6850K in a lot of stuff (at stock), that's weird. Does the 8700K really overclock proportionately less than the 6850K? I guess there's no real reason to upgrade from my 5820K then, since I should be real close to a 6850K.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 11, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Speaking of the 8700NK :D

I ordered mid morning on the 5th Central Time.

I ordered on the 6th and im still showing "we will email when we know" for delivery date :(

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

eames posted:

The coffee lake paper launch was really quite genius, Intel sent a bunch of 5.2 GHz binned samples to the youtubers, a handful of retail boxes to e-tailers and now gets to watch Ryzen sales fall off a cliff until Q2/2018. :allears:

Doesn't it hurt Kaby lake sales too, though? Oh well, I guess Intel can take a sales hit as long as it affects AMD too. Boo

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Welp I got everything I need but an 8700k. :haw:

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Lube banjo posted:

Doesn't it hurt Kaby lake sales too, though? Oh well, I guess Intel can take a sales hit as long as it affects AMD too. Boo

It's not really a sales hit if they're still buying Intel.

That's like saying Haswell took a huge sales hit when Skylake came out.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Not to mention Kaby lake hardware will be getting liquidated out the OEM dell/hp/whoever channels for at least another year or two

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

eames posted:

Didn't AMD send binned Ryzens to reviewers too? The reviewers all got 4.0-4.1 and most people are only getting 3.8-3.9.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paul MaudDib posted:

Oh, NK = "non-K". Never heard that before.

Wow, the 8700K is actually behind the 6850K in a lot of stuff (at stock), that's weird. Does the 7800K really overclock proportionately less than the 6850K? I guess there's no real reason to upgrade from my 5820K then, since I should be real close to a 5820K.

This is confusing to parse, but The 6850K stock turbos to 3.7-3.8GHz and most of them will overclock to at least 4.3GHz while the 8700K stock turbos to 4.3-4.7GHz while these early review samples seem to average around 5GHz, they might be binned too and the retail ones might average out a multiplier or two lower. Percentage wise the amount of speed increase you get from overclocking a 6850K is more than you get from a 8700K.

If you mean the 7800K then no, the 7800K overclocks proportionally more than the 6850K, but the whole market segmentation, heat, and overall platform weirdness make it a bad choice for everyone. The 8700K is faster, lower power, and cheaper.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Well this is some junior varsity bullshit: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-will-no-longer-disclose-multi-core-turbo-boost-frequencies.html

Might as well just call them the Core 8 4700+.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's how they used to market them so explicitly disclosing the per core turbo speeds might have been an experiment that didn't work out. I literally was thinking today about how it's about to get confusing with 8 core processors possibly having to list up to 9 speeds.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Intel no longer intends to disclose the 'all cores' maximum.

It could be a way that they don't need to test all cores maximum anymore, or it means that all cores is just the base clock.

Or all cores load frequency could be less than the base clock.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

craig588 posted:

This is confusing to parse, but The 6850K stock turbos to 3.7-3.8GHz and most of them will overclock to at least 4.3GHz while the 8700K stock turbos to 4.3-4.7GHz while these early review samples seem to average around 5GHz, they might be binned too and the retail ones might average out a multiplier or two lower. Percentage wise the amount of speed increase you get from overclocking a 6850K is more than you get from a 8700K.

Derp, about three too many edits there. Just answer like I asked the intelligent question so I can maintain my e-cred :ughh:

I'm not sure all that many 6850Ks get to 4.3 GHz without hilarious amounts of voltage and even then most probably won't, but I see where your math is coming from.

Disappointing, I guess I thought it'd improve on single-thread performance a little more with clocks that high, but I guess the L3 cache carries the day in games?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 11, 2017

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm not sure all that many 6850Ks get to 4.3 GHz without hilarious amounts of voltage

Ag, this is so annoying. I have a 4.7GHz 5820K and I want to eventually move to an 8 core 6900K because the 8 core 5960Xes draw 400 watts while overclocked. I've accepted it'll probably be a per core speed decrease, but I'm hoping it'll be close.

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah
I just happened to buy a 6500k with 16GB of DDR4 and a Z270 motherboard about one day before Intel launched their new CPU/chipset, efficiently wasting money.

It's still ok fast. On FreeBSD, using a RAID5 software ZFS/array with 3x 128gb ssds, with -j8 and ccache, the kernel compiles in about 2 minutes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well this is some junior varsity bullshit: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/intel-will-no-longer-disclose-multi-core-turbo-boost-frequencies.html

Might as well just call them the Core 8 4700+.

Oh cool the figure where I said "look at the K and the non-K reaching the same point of the curve when all the cores are running wide open" is going to go invisible.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Goonerousity posted:

I just happened to buy a 6500k with 16GB of DDR4 and a Z270 motherboard about one day before Intel launched their new CPU/chipset, efficiently wasting money.

It's still ok fast. On FreeBSD, using a RAID5 software ZFS/array with 3x 128gb ssds, with -j8 and ccache, the kernel compiles in about 2 minutes.

Heh. With the latest and greatest CPU you may be able to cut that time in half. Compiling on tmpfs even more so (Linus got his kernel compiled in a bunch of seconds some time ago on tmpfs). Then again ... isn't 2 minutes enough? In my days it would take me 40min to 1 hour for the drat thing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

craig588 posted:

Ag, this is so annoying. I have a 4.7GHz 5820K and I want to eventually move to an 8 core 6900K because the 8 core 5960Xes draw 400 watts while overclocked. I've accepted it'll probably be a per core speed decrease, but I'm hoping it'll be close.

Apart from lanes I don't think we have any reason to upgrade. The only way the 5960X gets to 400W is under Prime95 and yeah, AVX synthetics are going to suck on Intel's processors since they have so much AVX horsepower.

Honestly I'm not actually sure the 6900K is going to be any lower-power with a heavy overclock. Both Broadwell-E and Haswell-E suck it down pretty badly and my opinion is that (core-for-core) BW-E doesn't offer any significant advantage for enthusiasts over Haswell-E in any department at all. It is a straightforward tradeoff of clocks for IPC and everything else (including power) remains more or less the same, with equivalent single-threaded performance. It was not a very interesting release unless you bought the 6950X or were running at stock clocks - it was 100% intended for the server guys and enthusiasts got the leftovers.

That said, the 6900K is probably going to be cheaper than a 5960X, but I've been watching Microcenter and prices remain stubbornly high for the nicer SKUs.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 11, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Great Liquidation Begins: https://www.techbargains.com/dell-xps-8700-deals

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I miss the days when all you had to worry about was the processor type and frequency. So much simpler like going from a 486/66 to a Pentium/133.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

VulgarandStupid posted:

Didn't AMD send binned Ryzens to reviewers too? The reviewers all got 4.0-4.1 and most people are only getting 3.8-3.9.

Not really. It just turned out that the 1800x was a slightly better binning of the 1700 so a little bit more likely to get up to 4.0 and *maybe* break 4.1 other than that, at least as far as I remember, most of the review chips landed in the 3.8 to 4.0 OC band that 95% of the chips apparently hit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

I miss the days when all you had to worry about was the processor type and frequency. So much simpler like going from a 486/66 to a Pentium/133.

I remember the only thing that got me a Pentium 'back in the day' was when Intel put out those "Overdrive" 83Mhz chips that turned our 486SX/33 with 12MB of system RAM into something that could realistically run Windows 95. Another friend was unsuccessful convincing his parents to go from a 486DX/66 to a Pentium 60, because (the number is less), but I guess that was a good call by them in the end seeing as the P60 had a lot of issues.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So what will the retro-computing platforms of that era be? Pentium Pro? K6-3? Coppermine? Thunderbird, Athlon XP?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Paul MaudDib posted:

So what will the retro-computing platforms of that era be? Pentium Pro? K6-3? Coppermine? Thunderbird, Athlon XP?

Gotta be Celeron 300A, could overclock like mad AND run dual socket.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

priznat posted:

Gotta be Celeron 300A, could overclock like mad AND run dual socket.

The dual socket support was useless for most contemporary games, they were primarily designed to run on Win 9x which only supported single CPU core, and when you switched over to NT 4.x to get multicore support you lost a lot of game compatibility.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

fishmech posted:

The dual socket support was useless for most contemporary games, they were primarily designed to run on Win 9x which only supported single CPU core, and when you switched over to NT 4.x to get multicore support you lost a lot of game compatibility.

Sure it was mostly useless but it was pretty drat cool that a low end part could do that!

I never had one personally, I went to pentium II-350 if memory serves from a pentium 90. But I knew folks who had duals running at 450MHz which was pretty neat. I have no recollection on what they actually did with them, though :haw:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
r_smp 1

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fishmech posted:

Win2k was pretty amazing for the time, but WinXP was where NT got merged in to the general-purpose codebase and there will be horrible legacy installations lingering on for decades.

IE8 browser traffic: Because Legacy Windows XP Running Unshielded On The Internet Still Exists™ :shepicide:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Keeping CPUs for 5 years can't be that uncommon, right?

I've still got a 3570k I plan on putting back into commission once I can grab a cheap z77 motherboard, and I'm sure it'll be a just-fine gaming machine once I pair it with a 1080 and overclock it a bit.

And I've got another Skylake PC which I built over a year ago, and OC'ed to 4.5, I can't really imagine having to replace it within the next 5 years.

These are strictly gaming machines, though, so I guess that matters since everything these days is a console port.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I've still got a 3570k I plan on putting back into commission once I can grab a cheap z77 motherboard, and I'm sure it'll be a just-fine gaming machine once I pair it with a 1080 and overclock it a bit.

And I've got another Skylake PC which I built over a year ago, and OC'ed to 4.5, I can't really imagine having to replace it within the next 5 years.

These are strictly gaming machines, though, so I guess that matters since everything these days is a console port.

Naw, the homeless shelter has plenty of public computers with 5 year old cpus.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The 2500k/2600k is still a decent chip for gaming and that's gonna be 7 years old soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MaxxBot posted:

The 2500k/2600k is still a decent chip for gaming and that's gonna be 7 years old soon.

3930k owners got their loving money's worth, goddamn

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 11, 2017